Tires for Hillborne: talk me out of 48mm Soma Fabrications Supple Vitesse EX TR

Pancake

Mar 8, 2020, 7:54:23 PM3/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Compass Snoqualmie Pass tires are worn out according to Rene Herse - the rear tire blew (it was setup tubeless), probably I was running a pressure too high (at the tubeless max, 60 psi). Now that I’m looking to replace them I was considering these wider 48mm Soma Fabrications Supple Vitesse EX TR tires. Can anybody talk me out of these or into something better? I’d like them to be tubeless compatible, but it’s not necessary. Could go for anything between 40mm and whatever the limit for the Sam with no fenders (apparently up to 45mm but some have fit up to 50mm depending on the rim and brake setup).

My rims are Alex Adventurer II (slightly less wise than Cliffhangers, but wider than Atlas rims).

Abe “what was the popping noise!” in Napa

lambbo

Mar 8, 2020, 8:53:14 PM3/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do you keep your bike outside?  I've had a few Compass Steilacoom and Barlow Pass blow out in the sidewalls all of a sudden (scary, in traffic each time), and my theory is it's sun exposure degrading the sidewall after a year or so outdoors in NY.   I recently replaced with Conti basketball tires, they are wonderful if not quite as supple, 42 w/ fenders on Cheviot (should be very similar to Sam).

Pancake

Mar 8, 2020, 11:30:56 PM3/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the quick reply. Bikes are kept in the garage (inside).

I also use the Basketball tires on my Cheviot, 42mm, reflective sidewalls, can be found for close to $20 AND the VERY rarely flat on me (maybe twice in 3,000 miles, just switched to a new pair about 200 miles ago). They’re my backup plan for the Hillborne, but I like to fancy it up a bit because it’s got a fun background.

I am curious if anyone has fit 48mm Soma Supple Vitesse tires on a 56cm Sam Hillborne? Or similar tubeless compatible tires in about that size?

Adam Leibow

Mar 9, 2020, 1:38:07 PM3/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
try Schwalbe All Around 700x38 (measure 40mm). similar suppleness/speed as Rene Herse but seem more resilient and have some tread / bite

Pancake

Mar 10, 2020, 12:47:05 PM3/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m convinced Adam, though I ordered the “Speed” because that’s what I have on my Rosco Baby (albeit in 60mm width) and I really enjoy them. I don’t get the Sam in much dirt (the Rosco, my Cheviot, or, if needed, my Salsa El Mariachi!) so it’s my “go slightly faster bike” that will enjoy much more pavement and occasional gravel/dirt.

No tan sidewalls, not as wide, but a bit cheaper and possibly better puncture resistance than the Snoqualmie Pass tires I guess.

Abe

Michael Baquerizo

Mar 10, 2020, 1:41:32 PM3/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did you order them in the 38? Curious to know once you mount them if you think you could have bumped up a size (especially if you think you could and fenders would still fit)

Jason Fuller

Mar 10, 2020, 3:24:18 PM3/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love Rene Herse tires but I would buy a different brand for tubeless. They seem to be more fickle than other brands for tubeless. Maybe the endurance casing is better?

60 psi is very high for 44c, I run my 42c at 40 - 45 psi.  That would be the first adjustment I would make, personally.  48c ought to be 35 - 40 psi IMO, maybe 45 if you're bigger / carrying loads

Pancake

Mar 10, 2020, 10:28:18 PM3/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I suspect the Soma Supple Vitesse would have fit based on the Big Bens that barely fit according to these photos from another list member:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46035786@N07/with/15831687195/

But I’m happy with having ordered the 38mm g-one speed tires. I’ll wear them out and call it a learning experience ... now where to find those 2,000+ miles to wear them down ...

Hayden

Mar 12, 2020, 12:00:40 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Compass tire is nice but I had to many issues so I had the Shikoro 48s on my 56 Sam. NOt as supple but smooth and no flats.

Conway Bennett

Mar 12, 2020, 4:56:17 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a set of resist nomad 700 x 45d in skinwall which came off of my Sam Hillborne that I that I would sell. Total dark horse in this category and I believe they are out of production.

Pancake

Mar 12, 2020, 5:46:31 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Compass tire is nice but I had to many issues so I had the Shikoro 48s on my 56 Sam. NOt as supple but smooth and no flats.
Very good to hear, maybe this will be my next tire ... for now I've got the 38mm G-one speed tires arriving in the mail today (hopefully). Very helpful to know (1) the 48mm Shikoro fits and (2) they flat less ... my Snoqualmie pass tires got too many goathead flats which lead me to get them setup tubeless, which lead to this tubeless failure from too high pressure and/or too worn tires. 44mm seemed great size for the Sam, but I'm curious to try "narrow" 38mm tires again for the first time in several years.

My current setup is the Snoqualmie tires with tubes, I'll wear them down until May when I'll try the g-one speed tires on my second Century ride (Santa Rosa Wine Country Century for anyone who might be there too!). I keep 2 oz of Panaracer Smart Seal tubeless sealant in the tubes for the goat heads now that I'm not tubeless anymore.

I have a set of resist nomad 700 x 45d in skinwall which came off of my Sam Hillborne that I that I would sell.  Total dark horse in this category and I believe they are out of production.
I've never heard of these (please PM me a price shipped to Napa, CA). A quick googling about showed some positive reviews about these significantly lower price tires ($23 new currently). Though, as you said, not available in skinwall anymore .. but they are available in all black or bright red sidewall:

Conway Bennett

Mar 12, 2020, 7:06:03 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pancake,

I have these Specialized tires too. Not supple but slick and durable. These I belt are also out of production. I would bundle all four for $60 net to me.

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialized-fatboy-tire-tan-sidewall-29-x-1.7-700c-x-45mm-003e-0345-p/p578879