Next Level Clementine

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 4, 2020, 2:00:20 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Weeks ago, I took my 2019 Clementine to a bike shop for a major makeover. I plunked down the money to make my only bike (until the Playpus arrives) a Next Level Clementine. I decided I’d finally get dyno, which I’d never had an longed for for years, and I’d get new wheels and tubeless tires to lighten up my heavy bike. I’d seen Analog’s beautiful work on Instagram, and dyno and hand built wheels and tubeless tires are their wheelhouse. Candice and James created and shipped the most colorful, beautiful wheelset/tires/dyno you could ever imagine. Ever. Now all I needed was a mechanic. But this is Vegas, and good bike shops are hard to come by.

These are the days of COVID 19 and bike shops are overburdened everywhere. I don’t have any options close by, so I had to point the van SW and drive 35 miles, deep into Vegas. I got to the bike shop 20 minutes before opening and there was already a line. I grabbed my Clem, secured my spot, waiting in the sun. The mechanics came out to and explained no repairs, save simple flat fixes, would be done - they were swamped. I turned around and put my Clementine back on the rack. From the parking lot, I called several bike shops (one had 6 handwritten pages of names on their waitlist) and found only one that could 1. Accept my bike (other shops were too full to take more bikes) and 2. Get the bike back to me in less than a month. The catch was that the place was called Pro Cyclery. Yikes. How can I show up at a place like that with a bike like mine? They will laugh me out of the parking lot. They will think I brought them a beach cruiser.

I bit back tears. I looked back at my fancy Analog wheels. And then I pointed the van in the direction of Pro Cyclery, arriving 15 minutes later.

When I arrived there were employees apologizing to a mother-son duo that they could not get parts, due to a worldwide shortage. There was carbon fiber and drop bars and mountain bikes everywhere; it was just as I imagined. An employee met with me to write up my ticket. I had a long list for him. The list was:

~Remove old wheels and install Analog wheels (tubeless tires were already set up and ready)
~Hook up dyno
~Adjust brakes, which were too loose
~Grease stem
~Adjust derailleurs
 ~Check click in pedal - bottom bracket?
~ Install new 38 tooth front chain ring (had a 35 and it was too easy) and trouser guard
~ Install new Kool Stop ebike brake pads
~ Check rear fender to make sure it’s correct because some idiot (me) installed it. Without taking off the rear wheel.

The mechanic looked at me uneasily. He said he was sure his more experienced mechanic would help us. “Is this going to be ok?” I asked. “Do you ever hook up dyno here?”

“Well, I see them at community bike projects. But I can’t see how I’m going to hide this wire,” he said, frowning at my fork 😂.

The shop really stretched itself to figure out how to set up the dyno (they even called Candice), but when they were done they were really proud of their work. They used fancy metal clamps instead of zip ties, something I’m not sure they ever have cause to do. They hated drilling into my pretty VO fender, but they did it with great precision. They cleaned that bike until it sparkled - and this is no exaggeration if you’ve seen RBW Blue paint. They recognized my bike for what it was - “Whoever made this bike really cares about quality. We know quality when we see it. We don’t see bikes like this come through the shop.” By the time I arrived to pick it up, they had all ridden my bike and they LOVED it. I brought my bars to show them I was swapping out the 55 cromoly Bosco bars for the 52 aluminum Boscos. The senior mechanic said, “Oh, no! That will change how this bike rides and this bike rides perfect! It’s so nice - we’ve all ridden it and it’s so smooth! If I were you I wouldn’t be concerned with weight.” Hahaha - you can all feel the irony of the words leaving his lips in a room full of carbon bikes with a sign on the building saying Pro Cyclery.

Anyway, I paid them way more money than they initially quoted me (oh well, it’s a Next Level Clem), left them a 6 pack of chilled hard cider and drove home. I swapped the bars, which took some time because I managed to screw up the cabling, and then only had time for a quick 3 miles.

Oh, but those 3 miles were glorious. If you’re going to have a Clem and you live in hilly/mountainous country, then you owe yourself a Next Level Clem. Dyno is sublime - oh, not having the dumb light on the bars blinding the people you meet is really fantastic. Never needing to turn your lights on/off - fabulous. The light and easy ride of tubeless Gravel Kings - be still my heart. And then the COLOR. I told James and Candice to go wild because that’s how I think Clems should be and they did. The wheels rainbow from one color to the next in the spoke nipples, and they are larger and more visible than the ones that come stock on a Clem. #RivSister Roberta gifted me bright orange valve caps (also from Analog!) to put on the magenta valves, and it was a nice touch. 😘 The hubs are mismatched - a beautiful burnt orange on the back and a red on the front. The Edux II headlight is burnt orange as well, tying it all together.

My parts are now worth more than I paid for the complete bike but I can’t feel badly about that because this is a Next Level Clem. I’ll attach a lot of pics and a couple videos, which will take a couple of posts. I’ll write here as I discover more for anyone interested in how these wheels/tubeless tires ride.

Now, onto the photos and videos! Thanks for hanging with me if you made it this far.
Leah
863553B1-9D25-4F71-B1F2-07442F923AAE.jpeg
D715F7AA-1FE9-48F1-8001-C814B084F043.jpeg
AA701C84-99E0-4866-AC87-DD0753C7CB5D.jpeg
3B192D2A-1A75-4E25-830F-6DF685A060F7.jpeg
4F9355A7-034A-4CDA-A847-BFD53AA4DC05.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 2:03:10 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 2:04:22 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Sent from my iPad
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 2:05:42 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:00 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Video.mov
Video_2.mov
Message has been deleted

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 2:10:58 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last video, sorry
Video.mov

Mark Roland

Jun 4, 2020, 6:20:58 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Spectacular. Looks like the bike shop guys did a nice job--certainly using old style cable guides to keep your dyno wire tidy was a high class and thoughtful touch!

You are now officially a weight weenie with a Kaleidoscope Klem. Looking forward to the ride reports!

bright-circular-seamless-kaleidoscope-pattern-vector-8644933.jpg

Doug Hansford

Jun 4, 2020, 7:28:18 AM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Leah,
That ‘tricked out’ Clem is fantastic. The sum of the parts equals stylish delight. I think making a non-custom bike yours creates a custom bike! There are other Clems but that one is yours and there are none like it. Congrats on your persistence and for sharing the results. I like it!
Doug Hansford

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2020, at 2:00 AM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

<863553B1-9D25-4F71-B1F2-07442F923AAE.jpeg>
<D715F7AA-1FE9-48F1-8001-C814B084F043.jpeg>
<AA701C84-99E0-4866-AC87-DD0753C7CB5D.jpeg>
<3B192D2A-1A75-4E25-830F-6DF685A060F7.jpeg>
<4F9355A7-034A-4CDA-A847-BFD53AA4DC05.jpeg>

Abcyclehank

Jun 4, 2020, 8:49:31 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

Feel all is right bicycling wise in the SW now. Somehow I feel more angst over your bike issues than my own.

On a side note you could have afforded your own personal Anniversary Butterflied Mixte Custom with the ultimate Rivendell Name by now.

Happy night riding! It is a special world out there alone.

Sincerely,
Ryan “Clem Clan member” Hankinson
West Michigan

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 10:01:57 AM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mark - do I really deserve the weight weenie label if I have 2 handlebar bags and front AND rear racks? 😜

I’m starting to think of this bike as the Clem of Many Colors, but Kaleidoscope Klem definitely works, too...

Ryan - the reason you feel angst over my bike problems is because I come over here and publicly howl over them. Sorry about that 😬! But, do you also feel my joy when it all gets solved? I hope so! Yes, I have spent a LOT of money on this bike, but I regret nothing. I love love love a step-through and in RBW Blue, it’s just, well, I have heart eyes for it. You’ll understand when you get your Clem built up and on the road.

I can’t tell you how nice it was not to swing a leg over my bike last night; I’ve gotten used to the giant 52 Clem H I’ve been riding in place of my Clementine. I had about zero standover, and I felt like I was riding my best friend’s giant quarter horse, back in girlhood.

Well, this cup of coffee is finished, and the sun is already high in the sky. I best get out there before the temps get much warmer. I’ll be back later!
Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 4, 2020, at 3:21 AM, Mark Roland <absolut...@gmail.com> wrote:

Spectacular. Looks like the bike shop guys did a nice job--certainly using old style cable guides to keep your dyno wire tidy was a high class and thoughtful touch!

You are now officially a weight weenie with a Kaleidoscope Klem. Looking forward to the ride reports!

<bright-circular-seamless-kaleidoscope-pattern-vector-8644933.jpg>

True Golden

Jun 4, 2020, 10:18:30 AM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very, very nice indeed!!!

I hope it gives you many many miles of riding enjoyment.

Its very  cool you finally found a bike shop that can competently work on your bike. Cheers to them.

Congrats on getting your bike dialed in to your preferences.

Are your boys excited for you?

Paul in Dallas

PS
Another friend locally has a Riv on the way, a Roadini.

That will make 3. I'll be the odd guy out on our group rides.

Roberta

Jun 4, 2020, 10:57:36 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It looks extra wonderful.  Those silver clamps, compared to zip ties, are so classy.  Love the rainbow nipples.  Most of all, though, I love that the front dyno is red with an orange light and on the back, you have an orange hub with a red light.  So nicely pulled together.

I'm especially happy that you had three glorious miles with Dyno and tubeless GravelKings.  You, me, and another other #RivSister M. took a leap of faith with tubeless and I think it's safe to say we are all quite happy with the ride.  The Edux light you got I think is the same one I got and is super bright compared to my other Dyno light.

It's nice that the bike shop stood up to the quality of your bike with the quality of their work.

Roberta

Eric Norris

Jun 4, 2020, 11:52:31 AM6/4/20
to RBW
Leah:

Nice install. If you want to clean up the appearance of the wires leaving headlight, you might want to try some of this wire bundling stuff:

It’s bendy and split down one side. Just cut to length and slip is on. The headlight in the photo, like yours, has two sets of wiring coming out of it. The plastic stuff hides the wires and keeps them protected from inadvertent damage.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:02 PM, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>

<image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg><image4.jpeg><image5.jpeg>
Sent from my iPad

JAS

Jun 4, 2020, 2:23:35 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

 Hooray for your Clem of Many Colors, Leah!  All of the fancy anodized parts look fantastic and congratulations to you for exchanging the handlebars.  I'm glad you love your new wheels and that the project turned out so well.  Your Clementine will be giving you years of enjoyment.

After you've ridden it a bit, I hope you'll give us a review of the wheels/tires and what the lighter wheel set does for your riding pleasure.  Inquiring minds and future Platypus owners want to know!

#RivSisters,
   Joyce

Jason Fuller

Jun 4, 2020, 4:40:05 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Absolutely love the new wheelset and tires. Must have knocked a good bunch of weight off the Clementine. I plan to do something quite similar to mine - and mine will be purple & gold!

Patrick Moore

Jun 4, 2020, 5:37:18 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Leah: The bike and the colors and the story are all very appealing. I like the use of cable housing clamps for light wiring guides.

Eric (or anyone): is there a technical name or product name for that wire bundling caterpillar stuff?

Back to Leah: Are your wheels "twenty six inch" or 650B? (I can tell they're not 700C.) I'm curious because my new Chauncey Matthews pseudo-Riv will take 26" X 45mm tires with fenders and I've heard much good about the Gravel Kings; it would be nice to have an alternative to the Nachez Pass.

Patrick Moore

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 5:57:38 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Roberta, I really am so thrilled that we #RivSisters took a leap of faith with tubeless and it paid off. Actually, you led that charge and I just tagged along. I’m so glad you thought of it! I wholeheartedly agree about the colors and the way Analog pulled the bike together - it’s brilliant and I’m so happy with it.

Paul in Dallas - the boys really thought dyno was awesome. And they like the look of my bike. My husband even noticed - rare! Your friends are all getting Rivs and you don’t have one? Or you just don’t have a Roadini?

Eric - good idea; I’ll get those thingies on the wires soon. Thanks for that - I’d have never thought of it myself.

Joyce - yes, I’ll definitely report back and I really hope we get to twin on our upcoming Platypuses. Analog wheels with all the colors? Yes, that sounds right.

Jason - purple and gold will look great on your green Clem. Rad!

Patrick - Thanks! I have 650b wheels.

I made another 7 miles before it got too hot and my kids got up. It was even better than yesterday, though I don’t know why. I went all over the hills today, but I’m saving Killer Hill for tonight. I know about how long it took me on that stripped Clem H to do my route; I’ll tackle it again on Analog wheels and see if I’m any faster or if the effort required is less. I’m really glad I got a harder gear up front now; I think I need it on the first half of my loop.

Here are photos in daylight today, so you can better see the colors. Please take a moment to appreciate that I got a lot going on here. If this isn’t a Lone Wolf bike, I don’t know what is. Also, the fact that I’m wearing cooling, UV protectant white arm sleeves, roadie robot Oakleys and an athletic skirt is...well, that’s really something. 🤭

Not a Bicycle Belle.

Lone Wolf Leah

Sent from my iPad

Tim Bantham

Jun 4, 2020, 7:22:02 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, I loved reading about your experiences with the Clem and I am so glad that it turned out just like you wanted. I am a big fan of Candice and James and I am lucky enough to live only an hours drive away to their little Sugar House in the woods. The bike looks fabulous! Congrats!

Tim

Joe Bernard

Jun 4, 2020, 7:37:11 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's soooo rad! What impressed/surprised me the most is how clean and classy it still looks with all that color added. I mean I expected it to be great, but for some reason I pictured the wheels being way up front, ya know? Like "Hi I'm a really bright bike!" But it doesn't do that, it's still Leah's 50 Shades of Blue Clementine but with pops of contrasting color here and there. It ties together perfectly into what is honestly one of the nicest bikes I've ever laid eyes on. I'm INTO it! 😍

EricP

Jun 4, 2020, 8:11:23 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a really cool next level bike. Oh, and I am totally stealing your hub shiner on the upper tube of the bike. Was trying to figure out what to do with mine.

The bike has a great color combination. And the wheels are a great compliment. Will want to hear your opinions on tubeless. I probably swap tires too much to make it worthwhile.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 8:20:34 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric, you know what that hub shiner is good for? When I put the bike on my bike rack, the arm comes down and presses into the frame to hold it. I position the hub shiner right under the arm bar to be a buffer for the paint. Otherwise, it’s just a lovely leather cuff - and most days, I wear a leather cuff on my wrist, too. Matchey!

Sent from my iPad

Mark Roland

Jun 4, 2020, 10:35:03 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

From what I have heard, nds photos are the new ds photos. Definitely read this somewhere recently. Trend-setting again with Crayola Clem.

dougP

Jun 4, 2020, 10:57:17 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That stuff is used in cars where you have a bunch of wires going to something like a taillight.  I've gotten it from dealerships.  Kinda kool, easy to use, tidy.

dougp

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/F90061F8-E742-4400-B7D9-8F4AE7C0EC04%40gmail.com.
<image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg><image4.jpeg><image5.jpeg>
Sent from my iPad

Joe Bernard

Jun 4, 2020, 11:05:50 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found it on the Amazon, it's called Split Wire Loom Tubing. Which is definitely not a search term I would have thought of, I tried wiring sheath!

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:57:17 PM UTC-7, dougP wrote:
> That stuff is used in cars where you have a bunch of wires going to something like a taillight.  I've gotten it from dealerships.  Kinda kool, easy to use, tidy.
>

> dougp
>
> On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 8:52:31 AM UTC-7, Eric Norris wrote:
> Leah:
>

> Nice install. If you want to clean up the appearance of the wires leaving headlight, you might want to try some of this wire bundling stuff:

Screenshot_20200604-092019_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Leah Peterson

Jun 4, 2020, 11:57:16 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Let it be known henceforth and hitherto and forevermore and whatnot: Lone Wolf Leah will ONLY be showcasing the Next Level Clem in NDS photos.

Why? Because the old dumb DS rule covered up the Next Level Clem’s best feature - its wild hubs.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Lone Wolf Leah (Insert seal of approval here. It’s a manhole cover.)

Sent from my iPad

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 5, 2020, 12:27:17 AM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just got back from a 10.7 miler. It was great. My dyno is the best thing ever and It’s such a treat. My tires/wheels are terrific. I love them. I am going to jump on the Clem H after awhile and see how great the difference is. The changes I’ve made make my Clem more manageable for me. I don’t know if it’s just me personally, or my size/stature with the new geo, but I was not as confident on this bike as I was on my Betty Foy. My Clementine now handles better and feels lighter. It’s going to give me that “extension of my own body” feel soon, and I’ve only got 21 miles on the new configuration.

Observations, which may be hogwash:

~My front end feels lighter. My narrower bars make me feel more secure. I feel like I can make sharper turns and quick adjustments now. I did swerve once or twice tonight and it was nothing to me. That’s a new feeling with this bike.

~When the mechanic wheeled my bike out the tail light was blinking. “Oh, can you make it a solid light?” I begged. He was so confused. He said something about the manufacturer makes a switch, but then realized what I meant = the stuttering light was because he was generating a small amount of power, causing the light to flicker. I was elated to know it’s a solid light - I despise blinking lights. I have not gotten used to the sudden flashing from the lights as I wheel the bike around, but I like it now because I am reminded I! Have! Dyno!

~Someone should have told me about dyno sounds. You know when you go fishing and you’ve got a whopper on the line? That sound of the drag on fishing line - that’s your drivetrain when you get dyno. My bike was nearly silent before. In that first moment on my test ride in the parking lot, I thought, “Alright, WHAT did they do to this bike? Did they make it more rad without my approval???”

~Tubeless is amazing. Or maybe it’s the Gravel Kings. I don’t know but it’s just so....smooth. Easy. No jarring, even over the MUP expansion joints (is that the fancy name for lines in the concrete?).

~I”m glad I got a bigger front chain ring. I needed a harder gear, and even more so with the lightening of this bike.

That’s all I can think of for now. I cannot wait to do this again for my Platypus bike. Who knows what James and Candice will think up next.

Lone Wolf Leah

Mark Roland

Jun 5, 2020, 7:06:50 AM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think German law prohibits flashing lights on bicycles, and that's where a lot of the dyno products are made.

Drive side shows off the...drive. Just bought a bike with a broken frame ($40) so I could pull these off in preparation for my full spectrum Susie blue build:

IMG_20200605_065109990.jpg

I don't recall a complete build list (other than colors!;^) on your wheelset, may have missed it. What rims and what rear hub?

You must have good hearing, I don't think I hear my dyno. (Could it be the Gravel Kings?) I suspect the lessened gyroscopic effect of the lighter wheels along with more proportional bar width is making the handling more to your liking.

True Golden

Jun 5, 2020, 11:13:27 AM6/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In answer to your question:
Paul in Dallas - the boys really thought dyno was awesome. And they like the look of my bike. My husband even noticed - rare! Your friends are all getting Rivs and you don’t have one? Or you just don’t have a Roadini? "

I'm the odd man out,
one has a Homer, one an orange Roadini plus at least one other Riv
(I forget which model)Maybe a Sam?)
and the other just ordered a Roadini in Silver after riding the Orange one and loving it.

I would love to get an Appaloosa at some point.

However all 5 of my bikes are currently set up 'Riv like'.

I did have a Riv Custom back in 1999.

Paul in Dallas

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 5, 2020, 1:13:40 PM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark, your Susie might make my Clementine look like a Plain Jane. Magenta cranks? Fine, I’ll hand you the crown.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 5, 2020, 7:29:23 PM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Shoot, Mark, I didn’t answer your questions. The sound comes from the rear hub; it’s a Bitex, and it sounds like a fishing rod. Rims....ummm...the shiny kind! Who the heck knows what they are - *I* sure don’t! I know I’m always disappointing folks around here but you’re used to it. I didn’t weigh the wheels and bars either, so add that to the list of transgressions.

Where’s James? Candice? They may chime in 🤣

George Schick

Jun 6, 2020, 11:54:34 AM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If the sound is coming from the rear it's probably coming from the spring loaded pawls in cassette body rubbing against the ratchets when you coast.  From what I've read, Bitex uses 6 pawls; many manufacturers have only three.  The noise varies all over the place.  Shimano hubs are almost silent.  DT used to make one that was so loud that it sounded like a machine gun - you could hear it a block away.

John Phillips

Jun 6, 2020, 1:22:40 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
  Beautiful! I love all the colors.

John

Greg Murphy

Jun 6, 2020, 1:22:42 PM6/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Leah,

Your bike is similarly setup to mine. Of course, I changed mine up as well to make it my own; bar end shifters, no rear rack. Anywhoo, gorgeous Clem. If any bike shop makes you or your Rivendell feel inferiors, they don't know bikes.

Cheers!

Joe Bernard

Jun 6, 2020, 1:39:47 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My new White Industries rear hub (Rich/Hands On Wheels-built wheels) makes that "buzzing bees" sound, it's rad! Someone mentioned that it's a good substitute for a bell on the path, which I hadn't thought of. Pedestrians definitely hear you coming.

Leah Peterson

Jun 6, 2020, 2:33:08 PM6/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I went digging and found my specs, for those of you who can’t believe I wouldn’t post them.

Also, fun thing. My colorful spoke nipples light up under the Edelux light and are delightful. I had to take the video myself while riding so it’s awful, but you can get a glimpse. I’ll try and get someone to ride with me and video it to see what it looks like from another perspective.

Joe - yes, that’s the sound and actually that was my sentiment about pedestrians hearing the sound on the MUP and me not having to use the bell. I hate using the bell.
Video.mov
Video_1.mov
image0.jpeg

George Schick

Jun 6, 2020, 2:46:14 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The sound in those videos is not the sound I thought you were talking about when you mentioned the rear hub.  I thought it was the buzzing sound that Joe mentioned when you coast.  That clicking noise almost sounds like a drive train issue since it coincides with the revolving of your crankset.  Do you have indexed shifting?  Could be it's a bit out of adjustment.  Does it occur no matter what gear you're in?  Then it might be a chain rubbing something someplace or else a bottom bracket issue or a loose crank arm.

Leah Peterson

Jun 6, 2020, 2:51:44 PM6/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Worry not, George, these noises are from the expansion joints I’m hitting on the MUP. I have friction shifting and it’s working well. The noise I mentioned is the buzzing as I coast, as Joe described.

Sent from my iPad

George Schick

Jun 6, 2020, 2:55:29 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Whew!  I feel better now.

Leah Peterson

Jun 6, 2020, 2:59:57 PM6/6/20
to George Schick, RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for looking out for me! I’ve done some questionable things - riding around with an improperly-installed and floppy fender, bald tires with fabric peeking through, a loose headset, etc...

It takes a village! 🤣

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Bernard

Jun 6, 2020, 3:04:03 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
At the risk of repeating myself - I say rad way too often for a 58yo dude - the rainbow spoke nipples in the headlight is rad! 😎

Doug Hansford

Jun 6, 2020, 3:21:44 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah is riding an Electric Light Orchestra or maybe she is conducting the orchestra. Was trying to think of an ELO song that suits this silly post of mine. Evil Woman for sure isn't good. Maybe Mr. Blue Sky? Ha. Nice ride and this is definitely a Next Level Clementine.
Doug

Joe Bernard

Jun 6, 2020, 3:36:43 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Strange Magic

Leah Peterson

Jun 7, 2020, 11:58:29 AM6/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here, I got a video so you can hear the sound my new rear hub makes. It’s not coming through at full volume - it’s much louder to my ear. And I like it!

Leah Peterson

Jun 7, 2020, 2:45:38 PM6/7/20
to Leah Peterson, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, don’t know what happened there....

Video.mov

Joe Bernard

Jun 7, 2020, 3:12:04 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So buzzy! I dig it 🐝

Brian Campbell

Jun 7, 2020, 4:48:59 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Awesome bike! Glad everything worked out and you are getting to enjoy you Clem even more!

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 3:36:43 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
Strange Magic

Leah Peterson

Jun 8, 2020, 11:29:43 PM6/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I continue to be in raptures over my “new” bike. Here is my NLC in the evening sun on our 13 miler tonight. It was only 79 and breezy today in Las Vegas. A reprieve from the heat is always welcome in my book.

The sun caught the colors well. No filters.
Lone Wolf Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Brian Campbell <bdcamp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Awesome bike! Glad everything worked out and you are getting to enjoy you Clem even more!

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 3:36:43 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
Strange Magic

Roberta

Jun 9, 2020, 5:25:32 AM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

I will never tire of looking at this lovely bike.

Remember when you put on the B68 saddle and were concerned that it would not look right with your bike of 50 shades of blue? Well, I thought it always looked nice. But now, having the reddish brown saddle and hub shiner mid-bike, with the reds and oranges at the "ends" really enhances the color scheme. I LOVE it.

I think Joe said something like this above, very colorful, but still classy.

And best of all, you love the ride even more than before.

Roberta

Joe Bernard

Jun 9, 2020, 2:28:37 PM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
One of the things I especially love about it is it's so NOT a thing I would have thought of for a Riv. Rivs have a certain look to my eye and that's just the way it's always been, you can't put orange and red and rainbow spoke nipples on them THAT'S CRAZY! But our Bicycle Belle (and Analog) did the deed and it's SPECTACULAR 👏👏👏👏👏

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 9, 2020, 5:02:27 PM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Joe. I do so love it. I never get tired of color, I suppose. And I love the idea of having a Clem different from everyone else’s. Let’s see if I can pull off the same for the upcoming Platypus.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 9, 2020, 5:14:27 PM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Och! Leah, we have such very different definitions of "heat" and "reprieve from the heat." Grin. It is a delightful feeling to sustain, and even deepen, the joy of changes to a bike as the days and rides pass and you settle in with it being the bike rather than the new bike. Grin. Keep on enjoying all that cool weather, er, in the evenings with your light Clementine with a light!

With abandon,
Patrick

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 9:29:43 PM UTC-6, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
I continue to be in raptures over my “new” bike. Here is my NLC in the evening sun on our 13 miler tonight. It was only 79 and breezy today in Las Vegas. A reprieve from the heat is always welcome in my book.

The sun caught the colors well. No filters.
Lone Wolf Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Brian Campbell <bdcamp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Awesome bike! Glad everything worked out and you are getting to enjoy you Clem even more!

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 3:36:43 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
Strange Magic

Doug Hansford

Jun 9, 2020, 6:47:02 PM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Next Level Clementine is such a nice name for your bicycle. I think changing out parts, components, wheels and tires does make every bike unique. I did that on my BMX bike as a kid and still do that to my bikes. Racks, bags and bells..oh my! Leah you seem to be riding daily and upping your mileage? I like to ride at least a few miles a day and take some longish rides on the weekends. Happy trails.
Doug Hansford
Watkinsville, GA

Leah Peterson

Jun 9, 2020, 7:18:59 PM6/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I 100%, wholeheartedly agree, DP. Truly. The thing about a bike becoming dear is that it gets that way because you have a long-term relationship with it. I rode the Betty from 2012-2020. And for all but the last 8 months of its existence, it was my ONLY bike. It was like an extension of me and we covered a lot of time and territory together. The Betty saw me through the kid-hauling years and the school-age years and our many cross-country road trips home. It carried my dog in the front basket until that very dog died July 2019. That Betty never imagined it would be upstaged by a comfortable Clem, but it was, and I find myself starting over.

I’ve got a LOT of miles on my Clementine now, but new parts means I’m still getting acquainted with it. We get along great, the two of us, and I don’t see myself changing anything else unless it’s to lighten some parts when the old ones wear out. I have come to find I really like “light” where I can get it on a steel frame, even though that is not a popular opinion here. But the goal is to feel about it as I did its predecessor, which is as if the bike was made for me. And I think I’m nearly there.

Doug - I ride an average of 10 miles per day. That’s way, way up from my bike commuting days. I used to ride with the boys to school and back, so only 4 miles. But now I ride all the time, whenever I can. “Are you going out on your two-wheeler?” my husband will ask. “Heading out on the old dusty trail?” 🤣 He’s accepted this is just part of our life now. Sometimes he tags along on his ebike and embarasses me with his portable speaker and unfortunate choice of music. When you’re that comfortable on a bike, you can just keep going.

One funny story...I’ve shared on this List that I’ve evolved from Bicycle Belle to Lone Wolf Leah. We were riding our bikes on a cool Saturday morning when we encountered a group of about 20 roadies pulled over and chatting. All their heads followed us as we went by. You’ve seen what I’ve got going on...Oakley robot glasses like theirs, steel frame nothing like theirs, goofy polka dot helmet, basket in front, colors sparking from the wheels... My husband (who anyone can look at and know EXACTLY where he fits in the velotaxonomy) looked at me and said, “I don’t think they know what to make of you.”

Lone Wolf Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 9, 2020, at 2:14 PM, 'Deacon Patrick' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/f1d083fa-347e-42dd-ada3-257d8be3ba7ao%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Roland

Jun 10, 2020, 9:16:05 AM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
They were probably getting nervous that they were missing out on a new trend nobody clued them in on.

Clark Fitzgerald

Jun 10, 2020, 9:39:29 AM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sweet ride. I wish the Clem L frames were available.

Abcyclehank

Jun 10, 2020, 11:05:43 AM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clark,
They will be available. Rivendell as part of their stellar customer service always gets extra frames and forks to compensate for issues or damage in shipping. Once the full bikes get out to their new owners they will release the extras. Sometimes quickly sometimes slowly sometimes never and they find their way into a hot corner or rafter at RBW.
Vince is the memory King if you have a random question about number of a particular size, color, etc it is probably locked away in his brain simply waiting for a reasonable inquiry.
That said they are swamped and short handed currently getting bikes out as fast and they can to the individuals who have fully paid for a bike or frame already (Gus and Susies) doing their stellar job of preparing and checking them first.
Their IG account also says they are hiring another person so they are doing what they can.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

Adam Leibow

Jun 10, 2020, 1:15:05 PM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool story! It's awesome that that shop was able to appreciate the bike, and took such care in doing the work. That is a really nice build. That being said, I can't imagine how much you spent on all this! One reason I am able to afford the bikes I have is I can build them myself, which is a huge savings. Just a thought.

Leah Peterson

Jun 10, 2020, 1:48:09 PM6/10/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I’m glad you like it. A lot of care went into putting it all together, and especially since the shop hadn’t seen parts like these come to their work stand before.

I consider it generally bad form to delve into one’s income level, so I will steer the conversation in a different direction. I will say that I enjoy supporting small businesses and that the $225 spent on labor was money well spent. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 10, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Adam Leibow <ad...@pritchardpeck.com> wrote:

Cool story! It's awesome that that shop was able to appreciate the bike, and took such care in doing the work. That is a really nice build. That being said, I can't imagine how much you spent on all this! One reason I am able to afford the bikes I have is I can build them myself, which is a huge savings. Just a thought.

Patrick Moore

Jun 10, 2020, 2:17:41 PM6/10/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
One of Euclid's axioms: "Every bike project, be it vanishingly small, will ineluctably grow in cost to exceed the cost of the previous bike project, no matter how large."

Patrick "axiom empirically verified" Moore

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:48 AM Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I consider it generally bad form to delve into one’s income level, so I will steer the conversation in a different direction. I will say that I enjoy supporting small businesses and that the $225 spent on labor was money well spent. Just a thought.

Patrick Moore

Joe Bernard

Jun 10, 2020, 2:30:52 PM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
First, that price for that much labor - and how well it came out - is practically free! Second, remind me to pay up next time instead of doing the build myself. After finishing up my custom - which took AGES - and dealing with the results of my arthritic wrenching hand doing stuff it would rather not anymore, I remembered Mark @ Riv asking, "Am I building it or you?" Next time I'm paying up. I'm over it.

Doug Hansford

Jun 10, 2020, 4:35:16 PM6/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've spent more than I care to admit on bicycles and bicycle upgrades over the years. But, that's part of the fun of it as a hobby and I would not begrudge anyone spending on their bikes. We aren't all bike mechanics or know how to install parts, etc. And, that's okay. LBShops can certainly use the business. I've dabbled in installing parts and adjusting brakes and can do a decent job. I'm even considering building up an Atlantis soon but have my LBS as a backup and I suspect I'll need their help.
Doug Hansford

kim young

Jun 11, 2020, 12:36:33 PM6/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Magic bikes are priceless.
It is as beautiful as you are Leah!
🧞‍♀️ 🙂

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, I’m glad you like it. A lot of care went into putting it all together, and especially since the shop hadn’t seen parts like these come to their work stand before.

I consider it generally bad form to delve into one’s income level, so I will steer the conversation in a different direction. I will say that I enjoy supporting small businesses and that the $225 spent on labor was money well spent. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 10, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Adam Leibow <ad...@pritchardpeck.com> wrote:

Cool story! It's awesome that that shop was able to appreciate the bike, and took such care in doing the work. That is a really nice build. That being said, I can't imagine how much you spent on all this! One reason I am able to afford the bikes I have is I can build them myself, which is a huge savings. Just a thought.

Leah Peterson

Jun 11, 2020, 1:37:32 PM6/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would like to hug your neck, Kim. Back at you! 😘❤️

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 11, 2020, at 9:36 AM, kim young <kimyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Magic bikes are priceless.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAG55tTaJFyXOvB3R2%2B3w5ij6QZy5Bm3xqX9bh0f6XdtzAHO%2B3Q%40mail.gmail.com.

kim young

Jun 12, 2020, 12:10:52 PM6/12/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
:) Lol. Tail wagging !

Abcyclehank

Jun 12, 2020, 12:39:40 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

Is Flowerfang (Kim) another Clem loving #rivsister. There can never be enough of you ladies. So refreshing to read about.

Ryan
West Michigan

Leah Peterson

Jun 12, 2020, 1:20:24 PM6/12/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, I am not sure if Kim is Clem-loving but she is most definitely a #RivSister if I have anything to say about it. In fact, she is the most famous and beloved of the #RivSisters, I think. Kim, you’re so humble. You should tell them who you really are! I think there are photos from a rather beloved publication featuring Kim....

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 12, 2020, at 9:39 AM, 'Abcyclehank' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Leah,
>
> Is Flowerfang (Kim) another Clem loving #rivsister. There can never be enough of you ladies. So refreshing to read about.
>
> Ryan
> West Michigan

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 1:26:14 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Kim, you’re so humble. You should tell them who you really are! I think there are photos from a rather beloved publication featuring Kim..."

Tell the world, Kim! (btw Flowerfang is an awesome name ❤️)

Ray Varella

Jun 13, 2020, 1:27:34 PM6/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Velotaxonomy for the win Leah.

Ray

Leah Peterson

Jun 13, 2020, 1:38:55 PM6/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ray, I’m telling you this is me these days. Just one big collection of cycling philosophies; no adherence to one creed 🤣:

image0.jpeg

Abcyclehank

Jun 13, 2020, 5:35:24 PM6/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
I don’t buy it. The Lone Wolf bearded cyclist would just keep sipping his beverage of choice and happily share his floatie with a bug. Say what you wish; view yourself anyway you want, but you will forever be simply a #rivsister and #bicyclingbelle and we would not want it any other way.

Thanks for your many contribution to all things bike and Riv.

Sincerely,

Ryan “the bike collector” Hankinson
West Michigan

Leah Peterson

Jun 13, 2020, 6:20:54 PM6/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh Ryan, you think too kindly of me. Here’s a recent photo. Cooling UV protectant sleeves, robot Oakleys, goofy helmet...I am trending toward Lone Wolf and away from Bicycle Belle, I fear...😂

image0.jpeg

Ray Varella

Jun 13, 2020, 10:24:28 PM6/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You’re an outlaw Leah.
I just have one question,
How will you be able to form a gang with your rivsisters?
I guess you could be the Ironic Misanthropes.

At some point, you are going to look at your bike and wonder how to add more color.
Cables, pedal, grips and water bottle cages would be my suggestion.
A friend powder coated my water bottle cages for my Riv tandem.

Ray

Joe Bernard

Jun 13, 2020, 11:20:02 PM6/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Orange and red cables! I'm down with this..do it, LWL!

kim young

Jun 15, 2020, 10:20:26 AM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Haha. busted.
I so wish I was humble!
I think I’m on eBay for $5.
think we’ve given up more than enough clues with that ;)

I really try not to covet your Clem’s. I was always more the klunker/strandie/derelict bike queen. When the discussion gets really advanced, I feel like a Bud drinker at a wine tasting. But I am learning a lot here, so thank you!
I think Craig Montgomery is my homie and he can vouch for me? (Matthew I loved the klunker vids. btw.)

BUT I do have a snail-boot frame in the pipeline!!....Will be any day now.
(Oops -meant Susie Longbolts frame. I get all the hyphenates so mixed up.)

Would be an honor to be a sis: Ryan, Joe, Leah et. al.
💕✊

(Ps....who got the kookas for their Susie build? It must be Mark I think. Are you going pink and orange !!?? In any case, I got a pink dirtdrop I just might have to gift you.)

On Friday, June 12, 2020, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Kim, you’re so humble. You should tell them who you really are! I think there are photos from a rather beloved publication featuring Kim..."

Tell the world, Kim! (btw Flowerfang is an awesome name ❤️)

Doug Hansford

Jun 15, 2020, 10:34:24 AM6/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm a little slow so I still have no idea who you are Kim, Flowerfang. But, all RivSisters are cool and riding Rivs is cool.
Doug Hansford
"Not anonymous in Watkinsville, GA" #RivBro

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 10:20:26 AM UTC-4, Flowerfang wrote:
[...]

Leah Peterson

Jun 15, 2020, 11:08:11 AM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
She’s famous, alright!

I’m so excited for you to get your Rivendell, Kim. You’ll have to be a little more prolific on this forum when you do! You know, all the photos...

I get so much joy from my #RivSisters. Riv brothers are good, too!
Leah

Sent from my iPhone

kim young

Jun 15, 2020, 6:43:24 PM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
hey doug. you don't know me but i feel like i know you. lol

omg leah!! i will get you back for this. dude where did you even find that? I was seriously hung over in that pic (because bridestone reps were a v. bad influence!) yikes, that was a hundred years ago. ugghhh I used to be in mint condition. Now I am like a scratch and dent floor model. ha haha

It's funny b/c when I agreed to do that catalogue thing, grant says to me: be sure to bring your riding clothes, because we will all definitely go on a ride. (tho I had been working in shops most my life, I was never the pro-shop cyclist.) In other words, riding clothes meant whatever I had on at the moment.  I remember thinking ogod please nooooo! Because any kind of riding that required special stretchy clothing and the weird shoes was sure gonna kill me.  I tried squirming out of it, but they plied me with the promise of after-ride beer and pizza! (The whole riv ethos sure has changed !)

And the bridgestone headquarters...  you can imagine - It was like entering the willy wonka factory. Orange and purple x0-1s all leaned up next to the cubicles. EVERYONE commuted. I think some even had their babies at work with them. It was one of the most creative atmospheres I'd ever experienced.

So anyways thank you!!
This place is similarly inspiring.
sending hugs!!

IMG_2491.JPG

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/F4D93C75-0929-43B3-8A64-BD1F7ADC6BA3%40gmail.com.

Doug Hansford

Jun 15, 2020, 7:17:52 PM6/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice to meet you Kim! I'm sure Bridgestone was a cool place to work just as Rivendell for sure must be. Bike-centric and people friendly. I've never been to Rivendell headquarters but have spoken to Grant by phone a couple of times and he's genuine and really wants his customers to get the right bicycle and just ride. His book drew me to Rivendell in the first place and I've been a fan since, even though I don't currently own a fully built Rivendell bike. But, I've set my other bikes up according to the "Just Ride" philosophy and enjoy riding more than ever before. Leah's Clementine is a good example of making a bike uniquely your own even if it isn't a custom.
Doug Hansford
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com.

kim young

Jun 15, 2020, 7:33:08 PM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Likewise Doug.
I think I am going to win the lottery pretty soon, so I will buy an extra Riv for you. :)
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/de2e5448-dd12-47a4-b88c-b7421c2874ado%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Bernard

Jun 15, 2020, 8:09:09 PM6/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kim! It's so cool to see you again! 🙂

I've had that '94 catalogue since 1994, it's hilarious to discover you were hungover in the pic. You hid it well! 😎

kim young

Jun 15, 2020, 9:39:33 PM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

:) Lol
 Thank you joe 💕🏴‍☠️

On Monday, June 15, 2020, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kim! It's so cool to see you again! 🙂

I've had that '94 catalogue since 1994, it's hilarious to discover you were hungover in the pic. You hid it well! 😎

Mark Roland

Jun 15, 2020, 9:39:42 PM6/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If a pink dirtdrop came my way, it might have to go on El Clem...

IMG_20200419_093858790.jpg

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 10:20:26 AM UTC-4, Flowerfang wrote:

(Ps....who got the kookas for their Susie build? It must be Mark I think. Are you going pink and orange !!?? In any case, I got a pink dirtdrop I just might have to gift you.)

On Friday, June 12, 2020, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Kim, you’re so humble. You should tell them who you really are! I think there are photos from a rather beloved publication featuring Kim..."

Tell the world, Kim! (btw Flowerfang is an awesome name ❤️)

kim young

Jun 15, 2020, 10:07:42 PM6/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
mark i love the tassles.
ok it's not an official dirt drop- but it is pink! and it comes with a horse bell. how can you resist?
doh....why is the pic sideways??  anyways that's what it looked like before i changed it.
send me an address>
kimyoung99@gmail

IMG_3623.jpeg

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/3441520d-4fe0-4706-8325-0c17827a7b8do%40googlegroups.com.