Kucharik wool shorts with real chamois or Andiamos under street shorts

Patrick Moore

Jul 7, 2023, 7:59:02 PM7/7/23
to rbw-owners-bunch
I was just perusing the new Riv email update and saw Andiamos.

I gave up nastily clinging lycra shorts with nasty, bulky pillow pads over 20 years ago, but when I ride over 30 miles I do sometimes like to wear something a bit more bunch, crease, and chafe resistant than my usual oversized nylon boxers under street shorts or Rapha Randonee shorts.

I've hoarded about 3 pairs of nice Kucharik wool shorts with real chamois or -- for one pair -- a synthetic that is also minimalist.

But I'd rather have something synthetic for ease of laundering and an undergarment that can be worn under any decent pair of shorts, as long as it serves as well the basic purpose of bike shorts: prevent bunching and chafing. Again, I'm not interested in padding; I chose the right saddle and I have it and bar positioned properly.

So, those of you with relevant experience, will Andiamos be as comfortable under Rapha touring shorts as wool Kuchariks with chamois?

Patrick Moore

Garth

Jul 8, 2023, 7:36:39 AM7/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had multiple pairs of the briefs for 20 some years and I best sum it up like this, if you are not prone to chafing issues you won't get any from the Andiamo's. If you are prone to them, they likely won't make any difference. I've always bought from and dealt with Andiamo directly. I had some fit/sizing issued once for which they remedied beyond my wildest expectations. I see they still offer complimentary shipping over $45, or $5 flat rate below.

peec...@yahoo.com

Jul 8, 2023, 9:15:03 AM7/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love Andiamos and recommend you give them a try to learn for yourself.

J S

Jul 8, 2023, 10:02:59 AM7/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, I’ve never worn anything more comfortable than Kucharik wool shorts. I had my time with synthetic skin tight shorts and bib shorts but without high pads and while ok the Kucharik were still the most comfortable.

DavidP

Jul 8, 2023, 11:06:56 AM7/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just received a pair of Andiamos and have had a few rides in them - I think they are fine. For reference, I have a couple of other pairs of liner shorts even though for most rides regular synthetic underwear is all I need, but for some rides they are nice (not to mention on the trainer where this is less coasting/standing).

The Andiamos actually have more padding then I expected - not as much as some shorts, but I have an old pair of Nashbar branded liner shorts that has less and more compliant padding (these seem to not use foam but microfleece padding). The Andiamos are fine and I will happily use them but I kind of expected something even more minimal.

-Dave

John Dewey

Jul 8, 2023, 11:33:51 AM7/8/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, you might give a look to the Club Ride liners. I’ve been riding in these for years now. There are 3 pad thicknesses to choose from, for you the 1 Hour pad would be perfect. I’ve got a stash of these figuring they might go away some day. They’re bomb proof. Really well made, light, stretchy, breathable but not baggy. I’ve been ‘cycling’ between 2 pair trying to wear them out and I can’t. I’ve finished many delightful long rides in the one-hour liners, highly recommended!

Best / Jock

I just received a pair of Andiamos and have had a few rides in them - I think they are fine. For reference, I have a couple of other pairs of liner shorts even though for most rides regul synthetic  underwear is all I need, but for some rides r you they are nice (not to mention on the trainer to the  where this is less coasting/standing).

On Friday, July 7, 2023 at 7:59:02 PM UTC-4 Patrick Moore wrote:
[...]

Garth

Jul 8, 2023, 8:18:55 PM7/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dave, the foam padding flattens out over time. If you or anyone else wants no padding at all Andiamo offers two different styles from them directly.

J S

Jul 9, 2023, 10:05:54 AM7/9/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, I should have mentioned that I’ve used Andiamos padded liners for years. I liked the old ones better but the new ones are cheap and the company gives good deals, or car least they did with some free liners when you reach a certain amount purchased. They do run large, I take a small in them. I should be a medium so you can base it on that. The pad itself is minimal at best. Good luck.

Patrick Moore

Jul 11, 2023, 9:45:45 AM7/11/23
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks, all. I may one day give Andiamos a try, but the discussion indicates that they're not more comfortable than old Kucharics, so for now I'll just use up the Kucharics.

One advantage of the Andiamos of course is easier care and feeding, but I use the Kucharics only occasionally so the hassle isn't great.

Patrick Moore

Jul 11, 2023, 9:46:14 AM7/11/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You have convinced me!