Widest tire fit on Homer Hilsen?

Sean Cleary

Feb 1, 2021, 5:02:58 PM2/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey gang, what 700C tires above 40mm have you had success with on previous generation (2013) A. Homer Hilsen? Confusing what exactly fits per Rivbike. Have really enjoyed GravelKing Slick Plus 35mm on smooth gravel and pavement but that's the max width in that non-knobby tread pattern. Want to "go to 11"; thinking 42-45mm. Thanks!

Paul Richardson

Feb 1, 2021, 6:34:11 PM2/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I successfully ran 43mm GravelKing SK+, but only very briefly.  Personally I like the bike best with 38mm Rene Herse or good ol' 33mm Jack Browns.  Mine's a 2011 Waterford.

paul
takoma park, md.

Michael Williams

Feb 1, 2021, 6:43:19 PM2/1/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used to have a Waterford Homer.  Not sure of the year.   I ran 45c WTB Riddlers and 43c Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads.   Both sets: front and rear.   Not sure you could fender those tires though.   Soma Cazadero in 42s are nice as well.   These tires all lean towards gravel/ dirt oriented.    -Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Ben Miller

Feb 1, 2021, 8:27:13 PM2/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had an early Waterford AHH size 65. It maxed out at 38x700c tyres. In fact, I ended up parting ways with it because of that. I did really try to get Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads to fit, but it wasn't even close. I think I would have kept to if could have.

The problem was the seats stays weren't dimpled. So it might have just been that particular frame, though I don't really know. I did inquire with a frame builder about dimpling them, but was told it was too close to the bridge that it would probably ruin the frames structural integrity.

scott minor

Feb 2, 2021, 6:53:05 AM2/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
My size 67 AHH fits Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass tires (700 x 44) just fine.  I did notice that after many miles the rear tire grew a little in size due to slightly higher PSI and greater load than the front, and became a tighter fit between the chain stays, so at that point I swapped the front and rear tires with each other and all good clearance-wise until they are worn out completely.   Currently running Hurricane Ridge 700 x 42 knobbies and really loving them.  The size and fit of 700 x 42 knobbies on the AHH really feels dialed in.

Sean Cleary

Feb 3, 2021, 9:27:45 AM2/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hadn't thought of Rene Herse tires. Like the WTB and Gravel King suggestions too, thanks everyone. I'm dreaming of a warm spring ride while riding my fatbike in the snow covered Minnesota mountains, er hills.

Steve Cole

Feb 3, 2021, 10:24:22 AM2/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi,  I ride a Toyo AHH with Rene Herse Barlow Pass (700cx38) with fenders.  I doubt you could go any larger with fenders and the 38 wide runs smoothly and holds the road well.  Hope that helps.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA