Convert to Tubeless?

452 wyświetlenia

Philip Barrett

nieprzeczytany,
4 mar 2021, 23:46:574.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Okey dokey folks - I'm thinking I'd like to convert my Clem Smith (650b) to tubeless. Reason being that my neighborhood and favorite route to the trails is pretty much old school industrial and I'm constantly fighting punctures from debris. Since the Alex rims look to support a tubeless set up it seems like I'll need the following;
  • tubeless compatible tires
  • rim tape (Gorilla)
  • tubeless valve stems
  • tire sealant
I have done the same conversion on a dirt motorcycle so familiar with the concept and install procedures but...

What am I missing? Any caveats? Am I mad to attempt this? Plus any other advice would be most welcome.

rlti...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 00:36:195.03.2021
do rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That should be all you need. I have read accounts of Gorilla tape absorbing sealant and losing its adhesive properties so I never tried it. I just set up some fat bike tires with Muc-Off tubeless tape but haven’t converted to tubeless yet. I’m letting tubes seat the tape to the rim currently.

You may need a valve core wrench if you add sealant through the valve. A sealant syringe also helps with that.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2021, at 8:47 PM, Philip Barrett <philipr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Okey dokey folks - I'm thinking I'd like to convert my Clem Smith (650b) to tubeless. Reason being that my neighborhood and favorite route to the trails is pretty much old school industrial and I'm constantly fighting punctures from debris. Since the Alex rims look to support a tubeless set up it seems like I'll need the following;

Victor Hanson

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 01:53:295.03.2021
do rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A couple of quid pro quos’ - from experience:

1)  do not convert a tire - purchase tubeless ready or ust tires

2) fit the tire to the rim and inflate (best with a compressor. ) The tire will only hold air a couple of hrs but more importantly now you check the fit

3). More tape is not good - once around and overlap 75-90mm

That’s about it  Keep in mind even the best mechanics get the goo all over the place from time to time.

Vtw

VIctor R. Hanson
Gen Mgr
Schmier Industrial Properties

Nick Payne

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 02:01:375.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
I'd say so-called tubeless-compatible tyres aren't necessary unless you need to buy new tyres. For several years now I've been running Hutchinson Confrérie des 650B tyres tubeless on one bike (Velocity A23 rims) and Grand Bois Lierre tubeless on another (MCFK i25 hookless rims), and although neither model of tyre is rated as tubeless, I've had zero problems.

Nick
Wiadomość została usunięta

David Person

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 20:21:145.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
I will say that if you use Gorilla tape, it is a bitch to clean up the rim when you remove it.  Lots of residue left on the rim that will need to be stripped off with acetone.  Analog sells tubeless tape at a very reasonable price.  One roll will do at least a dozen wheels.

eddietheflay

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 22:45:305.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
i would say make yourself ready for asking yourself why you decided to go tubeless :). the learning curve in my garage was hours long. get ready for tight tires (Conti 5000) that are impossible to get on rim. or get ready for loose tires (GravelKing Slicks) that are impossibly loose and challenging to set the beads. tight tires make it easier to set the beads. loose tires are a pain in the butt to set the beads. regardless you might be successful with a standard floor pump but there's a high likelihood you'll need CO2 or compressor or an a cannister like an Airshot. the tough ones need a strong and quick blast of air. without the blast get ready for anger.

Jim M.

nieprzeczytany,
5 mar 2021, 23:52:085.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Tubeless tape isn't very expensive. As mentioned I'd use it over Gorilla. And inflation can be difficult with a standard pump. I have a small compressor, and I also have a Topeak Joeblow Booster, which allows you to pump a chamber to high psi and let it out in one blast to seat tubeless tires. Works well in my experience.

Soap water on the bead helps seat. Also, the tires will probably leak sealant out the sidewall until they are sealed, so you'll see little white specks. You may need to use a couple of extra shots of sealant the first time.

jim m
tubeless in walnut creek

eddietheflay

nieprzeczytany,
6 mar 2021, 08:52:166.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch

yes forgot soapy water and it can also help to warm up new tires in the sun for a while. when i received my Gravel King Slicks in the mail the vendor had squished them down to their smallest size for mailing by folding them tightly to fit in the envelope. the folding did not wreck the beads but put a definite kink in the bead that was harder to straighten out when installing on the rim. the kink made it extra hard to get the air to stay in. in the end i first installed a tube, inflated to high pressure, seated bead on both sides, deflated, took the tube out of one side, left the other bead seated, and proceeded, with soapy water, and co2 to get the other side to seat. oh what fun.

Philip Barrett

nieprzeczytany,
6 mar 2021, 09:29:156.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all lots of good info here, makes sense to use the "real" tape as the cost is not very high. As to the fitting; I've done this many times with dirt motorcycle tires so have an idea of what I'm facing!

André P

nieprzeczytany,
6 mar 2021, 16:58:566.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Aside from what others have stated the only other piece of advice is when installing the valve stem push really hard from the tire inside side while you tighten down the whatever it's called, grommet? nut? spinny thing? I had trouble getting it to seal around the valve stems on my stans valve/cliffhanger rim combo but that did the trick.

velomann

nieprzeczytany,
6 mar 2021, 17:27:146.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
My experience is limited but so far (knock on wood) positive.
Based on that, and understanding others feel differently (sometimes strongly) here's my recommendation.

Don't use Stans tubeless tape. It's too stiff, hard to apply just right, and too thick.
Don't use Gorilla tape for the reasons mentioned.
Buy some of the economical and highly effective tubeless tape Analog cycles sells. I don't know what it was originally, but the stuff works great. Use two layers because.

I bought a Topek Tubibooster because a compressor was overkill for me, I didn't want to have to depend on borrowing one from whoever, and I have a friend who has been very successful with multiple tubeless set-ups using this: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-TubiBooster-One-Color-Size/dp/B084Z468P6

That said, I haven't had to use it. I've so far been able to set up tubeless with just a regular Joe Blow floor pump. I credit that to using good tubeless rims (HED Belgium, Velocity Dually) and good tubeless compatible tires (WTB Byway, WTB Trail Boss), the Analog tape, good tubeless valves, and liberal soapy water on the beat before pumping vigorously. So far has worked like a charm.

We'll see if my luck continues. This week I'll be setting up some Terravail Sparwood tires on WTB KOM i23 light rims. My next wheelset build will be Velocity A23 rims with Panaracer Gravelking SK tires. Fingers crossed.

Learning new bike skills is a good thing.

Do It & Good Luck!

Mike M

spencer robinson

nieprzeczytany,
7 mar 2021, 07:29:567.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
What Mike M. Said.  Also, Velocity A23/ gravel king tires are a good match, I have that combo on my Sam, they jumped on the rims with a floor pump

Andrew Turner

nieprzeczytany,
7 mar 2021, 11:13:247.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
I second Analog tubeless tape. Really great stuff. Here's another tutorial for tubeless if needed: http://www.omtm.cc/tire-talk

Tom M

nieprzeczytany,
7 mar 2021, 15:54:277.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
No experience with tubeless myself, but this hack looks like an inexpensive substitute for a compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg.
Tom Milani
Alexandria, VA USA

John Bokman

nieprzeczytany,
7 mar 2021, 16:44:287.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for that link Andrew. Very detailed.

-John

Roberta

nieprzeczytany,
7 mar 2021, 22:28:347.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Analog did my tubeless conversion on two bikes 9 months ago, and I haven't had a problem.  Or, a flat.
Roberta

Philip Barrett

nieprzeczytany,
8 mar 2021, 10:01:158.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
Analog are building up my ULTD Sutra right now which will be tubeless, looks like I'll go with the James gang again for the same for the Riv.

Justin Drake

nieprzeczytany,
8 mar 2021, 16:11:238.03.2021
do RBW Owners Bunch
I have done tubeless setups with and without tubeless ready rims and tires. Tubeless ready stuff is much easier, but it can be done without if pressures are low enough. Think large MTB tires. I rad tubeless on supple tires for a while a several bikes but found ride quality was wonderful. Very little issues with flats until the tire got a giant gash in the middle of the tread and took lots of little pieces of torn fabric to seal. I also found it was more work as sealant dried out and tubeless tires leaked more than tubes.  So I have gone back to tubes on everything but my MTB. On supple tires I have found a little sealant in the tubes goes a long way in protecting against run of the mill tiny punctures. YMMV.

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 11:01:37 PM UTC-8 Nick Payne wrote:
Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż
Nowe wiadomości: 0