New Bike day- Red Mixte but not a Raspberry Platypus.

Tom Palmer

Mar 1, 2021, 9:18:25 AM3/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,
This is a cross post for IBob, with correction, now with Riv content.
I built this Soma Buena Vista up over the winter and finally rode it. Probably the best first ride on a new bike ever, maybe I am finally understanding how to fit my own bikes. undoubtedly, things will change, but its pretty close right now. The build is pretty Bobish- 650b with 38mm Pari motos (red Hetres on the way as change #1) Shimano Deore rear hub Shimano dyno front on velocity Dyad rims. Tektro r559 brakes that stop very well. Riv Nitto Choco norm bars on long generic stem. SKS longboard fenders at least for now. Front basket and rear rack for commuting if that is ever a thing in the future. Drivtrain is 10 speed microshift shifters and Shimano SLX deraillers. and  a vintage Shimano 600 crankset with Willow triplizer 46/30 chainrings. Rides great- tweaked the bars a few times after about 5 miles into the ride. Hit  a couple steep hills and climbs well in the bends of the Chocos. The interweb info on this for tire fit is way conservative. I had 650bx48 Pari motos on at first and they fit fine, probably fenders too. The handling is typical high trail drop road bike even with the swept back bars. This is a little surprising. I was afraid it would be too light but the longer chainstays may play into it- 450mm. Geometry is pretty road bike too- 73 degree parallel with 45mm rake. This is the biggest frame they still make-58cm. They did have a 62 in the past. The color is tremendous- even better than anything on the web. Russo Red is what they call it and it really pops. Real paint, not powder coat.

Doing a tour of lakes Huron, Superior, and Michigan in the fall, and this may be the ride.

original build.jpg

Patrick Moore

Mar 1, 2021, 11:46:01 AM3/1/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
That's a pretty red; rather "creamy" as if there were white mixed with it, at least to my eyes and from the photo.

Patrick Moore

Marc Irwin

Mar 2, 2021, 10:27:24 AM3/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Nice looking build, I got one last year and built it very light for brisk city riding and commuting.  I love it.  The red is real, damn red.

Marc20200104_150722.jpg

Tom Palmer

Mar 2, 2021, 5:58:35 PM3/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks very racy, Marc!
i also read everything you wrote about Byron during my search.
Does this one have a name?
Tom

Marc Irwin

Mar 3, 2021, 8:52:53 AM3/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
No, Tom I didn't name this one.  I had a little too much fun building the first one.

Marc

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Mar 3, 2021, 9:45:30 AM3/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, if it can’t be a red Platy, this is the next best thing! Riding the Great Lakes? JEALOUS OVER HERE.

Mixtes in shades of red are the new cool kids in town.
Leah

Marc Irwin

Mar 4, 2021, 9:25:23 AM3/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Red bikes are faster, everybody knows!

Marc

Linda G

Mar 4, 2021, 8:17:57 PM3/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does this bike feel flexy with a load in front and back, set fairly high on your racks? I ask because I have a Velo Orange mixte, size 54, which has a similar design and rack configuration. The flex bothers me. It's kind of an unstable feeling side to side. It's also enough to make the rear brake rub on a rough road. I'm looking for an alternative and the Platypus is too long and big-tired for me. I like the fact that the Soma can run 650 b's.
Linda

Hetchins52

Mar 5, 2021, 2:46:10 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Linda,
Have a look at the Platypus video posted by BlueLug. The English closed captions are really bad but the two speakers discuss and show the bracing of the seat tube by the top tube and the twin, continuing lateral stays. It should contribute to that frame not feeling flexy with a load, but ... that's my speculation only!
Here's a link to that point (about 15 minutes in):
I, too, wish the 55cm Platypus was designed for 650b wheels!

David Lipsky

Joe Bernard

Mar 5, 2021, 3:01:10 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a 55cm Cheviot and it was one of the stiffest bikes I've ever owned, I think the mid-stays in the rear triangle contributed to this..I would be very surprised if the new Platypus (updated Cheviot) is flexy.

Also I recommend comparing the sizing of your V-O to the 50cm Platy, it's going to be the shorter Platypus in the line and uses 650B wheels. I'll bet - with Riv's penchant for long front-centers - that you'll fit it.

Joe Bernard

Linda G

Mar 5, 2021, 3:16:25 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
My question was directed to Tom or Marc about the Soma Buena Vista. I do not believe the Platypus would be flexy because it has a different top tube design. Same with the Handsome She-Devil. I'm looking for everything I want in one bike and it is very difficult to find! That's to be expected.
Linda

Joe Bernard

Mar 5, 2021, 3:44:49 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know, I started at flex to cover that base, then addressed the size/wheel issue you have with the Platypus. I rode the 50cm prototype (I'm 5'-6") and it fit great as well as being a noticeably smaller bike overall than the 55 it was parked next to.

Joe Bernard

Mar 5, 2021, 3:55:25 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here it is. I guess I'll put this on a Platypus thread, too, since technically this isn't one but here's a look for anyone curious about the smallest Platy.
Screenshot_20210305-005227_Gallery.jpg

Tom Palmer

Mar 5, 2021, 4:42:40 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda,
I have not ridden it loaded. Now I have a quest for the weekend! Unloaded it feels pretty stiff but still sprightly. I did a very cold 32 degree and wind ride yesterday and still loved it. It is stiffer than my 86 Schwinn Traveller mixte which some say is not a mixte but a sport because it has a single standard diameter top/mid tube.
I will report back after I load it for a ride.
Tom

Marc Irwin

Mar 5, 2021, 9:21:08 AM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I find the Buena Vista very firm.  The previous version I built had a VO front rack and rear with Wald folding baskets.  I could carry $200 in groceries and the frame was still very firm.  The front rack did wobble a little under heavy load.

Marc

Linda G

Mar 5, 2021, 3:07:02 PM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for posting this, Joe. I had seen a photo on the Blahg of Grant's daughter riding this size but this is a better photo. It's the 50 Platypus I would be interested in. I'm 5' 6" but after riding the 54 VO mixte I discovered that I like smaller frames ( I used to own a full-sized pickup but I really prefer my Honda Civic).  I've also been looking at the Handsome She-Devil and it only has 700c wheels. The main things discouraging me from the Platypus are the  long wheelbase, capacity for big tires I will never use (which adds weight) and price. I sent Rivendell an e-mail requesting the geometry chart for the Platypus. I did not hear back but perhaps in response they posted a photo on Instagram of the 50 frame on top of the blueprint for the frame. The photo only showed part of the chart and I couldn't read many of the numbers. I'm not in any rush on this. I will keep riding the VO for short in-town rides. I guess I'm nerdy enough to enjoy checking out different bikes.
Linda

Linda G

Mar 5, 2021, 3:07:57 PM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Marc and Tom for your responses. The feedback is helpful.
Linda

upyou...@yahoo.com

Mar 5, 2021, 3:31:21 PM3/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda,
I'm just shy of 5ft 6 and going with the 50 Platypus.  Will said he errs on the side of smaller and Grant would err on the larger side.  I have no idea how it will feel as I have never ridden anything like this and also never a Riv.  I just looked at that Handsome She-Devil as well and it sure does look nice.  Very reasonable price for a complete bike.
Kate

Tom Palmer

Mar 6, 2021, 1:37:36 PM3/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda,
Test completed. First with just 24lbs in rear in panniers. not bad, front end really lightened up steering wise, which is expected. Some flex, but not too much. Second test 34lbs rear and 10 lbs in front basket. Noticeably more flexy, but not annoying, nor brake rub on an the few tight turns or climbing small hill. The steering was much heavier, as expected again. I do not have low riders on her yet, but usually I keep the rack weight very low and heavy stuff in front panniers. I hope to get low riders in near future to try.
I hope your search is fruitful,
Tom

Tom Palmer

Mar 6, 2021, 1:39:39 PM3/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah,
I am JEALOUS that you can ride year round. I attempt to but the cold and ice stop me eventually.
Tom

Linda G

Mar 6, 2021, 4:34:46 PM3/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for checking it out Tom. That sounds like more weight than I tried to carry with better results.
Linda