Saddle Height

Matt

Aug 20, 2023, 7:46:05 PM8/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Newb here, but long time Rivendell lurker. Chatted to Will today about a Platypus and he mentioned saddle height. My BPH is 83cm (self measured - pretty sure it was to bone but maybe another cm?). Currently riding an ebike, which feels like driving an automatic only worse, so I'm not sure the saddle height is a good indication of what's ideal with a real bicycle. Any thoughts on measuring or extrapolating from PBH?

btw looking for 55/60cm Platypus, but may well wait for the next stock.

Lovely group, this. Thanks for the edification.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Aug 20, 2023, 10:51:52 PM8/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Matt, and welcome.
A standard starting height is PBH minus 11. If you’re rocking back and forth to keep your feet on the pedals, it’s too high. If it’s not too high, maybe it’s too low. Play around.
-Kai

Joe Bernard

Aug 21, 2023, 3:20:31 AM8/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I heard somewhere a million years ago that you should be able to rest your heel on the pedal with a straight leg. If you stretch it's too high, if your knee is bent it's too low. Sounds ridiculous but it's never failed me.

Davey Two Shoes

Aug 21, 2023, 9:10:18 AM8/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use Joe's method as well.

Patrick Moore

Aug 21, 2023, 9:27:48 AM8/21/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Of the methods I've read about that is and older one (1960s?) and gives a lower saddle than others; for me, a saddle quite a bit too low -- I did use it myself long ago. Of course, all of these methods are simply starting points.

To the OP: be sure to get your saddle fore-and-aft position in place too as well as saddle height before making other measurements; and even saddle tilt in addition to both the forgoing can affect preferred reach to pedals.

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters,

and other less well defined but still important writing services.

When thou didst not, savage,

Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like

A thing most brutish, I endowed thy purposes

With words that made them known.

Shakespeare, Tempest, Act 1 Scene 2

Matt

Aug 22, 2023, 12:27:49 AM8/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, all! It seems more art than science. I usually cycle in sandals (I refuse to call them flip flops), so I assume that grown-up shoes will add some. Nice to be here.

DavidP

Aug 22, 2023, 9:03:10 AM8/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome, Matt!
Saddle height is a bit subjective - but the heel on pedal method gets me in the ballpark.
If your PBH is 83cm I think a 60cm Platy might be cutting it close just due to saddle height - I feel I'm towards the lower end of the 60cm Platypus PBH range at 87cm PBH. I'm using a lower profile saddle (compared to something like a Brooks B17) and don't have a lot of seatpost showing, but I also run my saddle a bit lower than the PBH - 11cm guideline.

Given that Grant has made a 64cm Clem fit him at 85cm, you could likely get a 60cm Platypus to fit but it may limit saddle, seatpost, stem, and bar options.

-Dave (near Boston)
image.jpg

exliontamer

Aug 22, 2023, 10:32:21 AM8/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Aside from the subjectivity of saddle height I would attempt to try different sizes of bikes to see which feels better to you. I realize that's next to impossible with a Rivendell but if you have bikes that fit you well I think the knowledge can work laterally. I had a friend buy an Appaloosa from Riv, went off of their sizing method/recommendation over the phone and ended up with a bike they felt was too big. Fast forward years later, we just visited the shop a month ago, they test rode an Appaloosa that was a size smaller and strongly preferred it. We're all built differently and even with experience it's difficult to tell how you feel about it before you actually ride it.
Also they obviously know what they're doing & their sizing methods/bar & stem recommendations have steered my wife right twice. Just wanted to relay that story 'cos them bikes is expensive.

Matt

Aug 22, 2023, 1:09:50 PM8/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is all very helpful. 55cm seems more versatile. I'm unlikely to put drop bars on it, but, still. If I can find a used bargain I'll try a 60, else I'll go for the 55. Really appreciate the kind and quality of feedback here.

Roberta

Aug 22, 2023, 10:56:21 PM8/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome.

I use the heel to pedal method also for saddle height, and modify as needed.

My PBH is also 83 and I ride a 55 Platypus, which is perfect. Years ago I test rode a 60 Cheviot and it was way too big. I think 55 is your size.

Roberta, Philadelphia

Matt

Aug 23, 2023, 7:37:24 PM8/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Roberta. This experiential data is very useful. I'm 5'11 with long-ish arms and torso, but a 60cm does look a little too large. I can ride a saddle height of 73cm, but I'm just as happy at 72cm, so the 55cm seems to be more versatile.

Roberta

Aug 23, 2023, 7:58:38 PM8/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tall guy!

If you’re in NJ or eastern PA, Delaware area you’re welcome to try my bike. At that height, you might be able to do a 60. It is pretty big though. I’m 5’7”. Maybe my pbh is 82?  It’s one of those two numbers.  I’ll post pics and measurements when I can get to my bike.

Roberta.

Matt

Aug 24, 2023, 1:30:23 AM8/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just pushed my saddle height to 73 and was pretty comfortable, so the 60 might be within reach according to Will. I've spent so long on recumbents and Bromptons that I haven't really needed to know the optimum height.

Johnny Alien

Aug 24, 2023, 8:08:52 AM8/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It may work for some but I have never been comfortable going by riv's sizing standards of going big.

Eric Marth

Aug 25, 2023, 9:12:56 PM8/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Matt — Welcome! And I hope you find a Platypus that fits you well. Where are you located? Maybe we can help find someone in your area so you can have a test ride before you buy a frame. I think a 55, as you say, would be more versatile.

I have a 2009 Hillborne that's a 57cm and a 2021 Appaloosa that's a 54cm. Got the Hillborne used and the sizing worked out. Before I bought the Appaloosa I called Riv and I was between sizes. Grant said to go 54 instead of 57. I'm glad I did, that was the right call for me.

As far as saddle height, it can take some time to figure it all out. Fore, aft, tilt, setback, height! For years I was convinced I needed tons of setback to be comfortable. But recently on my Hillborne I set my saddle higher than normal and moved it closer and now I'm more comfortable and markedly faster. No science or precision details to share but do experiment. I find the PBH minus 10-11cm to be a good starting place. The thickness of the soles of your shoes makes a difference, too.

Best of luck and let us know if you find a bike!

Matt

Aug 26, 2023, 12:43:37 AM8/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Eric. I've very recently experienced the same with my saddle height. I suspect my self-estimated pbh was low, as a 73 saddle height feels fine and, yes, faster. That brings the 60cm within range, but I'll keep looking. And will do!