Custom, not a custom

Joe Bernard

Feb 13, 2020, 12:10:01 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The new (as of 2/13/20) Blahg mentions a new program from Riv which I think is brilliant. Mark Nobilette is going to do some frames kind of in-between the current styles and original, and will be offered as completes with Joe Bell paint (Riv's color, geometry and parts choices) for around $4000.

I ain't mad that I'm spending significantly more to get a true custom built for my needs in my color. I may be mad later when I decide I need one of these, too 😬

lconley

Feb 13, 2020, 2:00:54 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My custom is truly custom due to my long torso and short legs - 53.4 seat tube, 63 effective top tube on one sketch. It is closer to a Rosco baby that just about any other Riv in some ways - it even has the flared frame tubes, but it is not a step-thru. So I won't have to worry about wanting one of the new semi-customs instead. But to be honest, that hasn't stopped me before, I have ordered two Rivendells (Gus Boots Willsen and Rosco Baby) since ordering my custom. My problem will be if the Gus and custom frames show up at the same time.

Laing

Brewster Fong

Feb 13, 2020, 4:12:29 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool. That price is right in line with other top builders like Dave Kirk and Dave Wages/Ellis Cycles!  For example, Dave Kirk's Onesto lugged stainless steel tubing (Reynolds 953) is right there at like $4200. Dave Wages/Ellis starts at like $3500 and can easily go up pass $7000 for a frameset!

Of course, neither  wouldn't have Grant/Rivendell's geometry!  Lots of good choices out there!

Good Luck!

William R.

Feb 13, 2020, 4:41:12 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This gets me excited too! I like Mark Nobilette's work a lot and I like that Riv is working with him more. Didn't like the way things seemed between Riv and Waterford. I thought that the Nobilette Roadeo project sounded cool, but now this bike - with brazed on Paul center pulls and more tire clearance - sounds really interesting. Also note that what Grant is indicating is a complete bike with Nobilette frame for around $4,000 - not just a frameset.

Bill in Westchester, NY

Joe Bernard

Feb 13, 2020, 4:46:49 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
" Also note that what Grant is indicating is a complete bike with Nobilette frame for around $4,000 - not just a frameset."

Correctomundu, $4000 is the cost for a true Riv custom frame (base price). The new batches built to a standard geometry and Grant's color are $4000 complete.

Feb 13, 2020, 5:49:47 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
These sound great! Can't wait to hear more details.

Wyatt

Feb 13, 2020, 7:54:38 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
more excited about this plan than anything Riv has come out with in a long time. Eager to see how they build them up.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Feb 14, 2020, 2:38:00 AM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 1:12:29 PM UTC-8, Brewster Fong wrote:
Cool. That price is right in line with other top builders like Dave Kirk and Dave Wages/Ellis Cycles!  For example, Dave Kirk's Onesto lugged stainless steel tubing (Reynolds 953) is right there at like $4200. Dave Wages/Ellis starts at like $3500 and can easily go up pass $7000 for a frameset!

Of course, neither wouldn't have Grant/Rivendell's geometry!  Lots of good choices out there!

Just as a point of clarification, the unreleased Mark Nobilette-built, "Rivnobi" not-a-custom has a target price of $4k for a complete bike, with possibly brazed-on Paul centerpulls (that are $350/bike). If we can extrapolate from the high-end brakes, but also temper with Rivendell's whimsical tendencies towards good-but-inexpensive parts (e.g., Acera and Altus rear derailleurs), the build kit should be at least decent. In any case, since build kits can easily exceed $1k, that essentially brings the frame+fork price down to less than $3k, which is aligned with how much a Nobilette Roadeo costs.

I'm most curious about what kind of bikes these are, since Grant's post indicated a partial throwback to more traditional geometries. I'm sure they'll ride well, and they'll unlikely to be single-purposed (like a Legolas), but how are they biased?

Feb 14, 2020, 4:13:27 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds as if the first model will be roadish and that other bikes in the series may be different. I hope one of the models is a lighter canti bike …

Corwin

Feb 14, 2020, 7:54:54 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
$4K for a complete bike with a frame built by Mark Nobilette and Joe Bell paint is a steal!

Not sure how Grant can make money this way.

Namaste,

Corwin

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Feb 14, 2020, 8:37:25 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:54:54 PM UTC-8, Corwin wrote:
$4K for a complete bike with a frame built by Mark Nobilette and Joe Bell paint is a steal!

Not sure how Grant can make money this way.

Easy. Use an $8 rear derailleur.

Running and ducking. I jest, I jest!

In all seriousness, if times are slow, I can see Rivendell doing an interesting one-off campaign and charging just enough to cover costs, with the real goal of keeping the craftsmen ( Nobilette, Bell, Abele & co) working. Such is their ethos. In any case, in the Blahg, Grant mentioned that cost is controlled through modifying existing designs, and making most details, including color, non-negotiable. Again, I'm intrigued as to what will turn out!

masmojo

Feb 17, 2020, 9:54:35 AM2/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I recently bought a titanium Crust. Matt @ Crust has a steady stream of one off frames and completes that he regularly lists.
This is a good strategy, because you can try different things, things that you may not want to commit to long term and see how they work. Also your frame builder can fill downtime and maybe experiment a little himself.
My Crust was on of a couple one off titanium frames Crust had built last year; a bike I wouldn't have even thought was possible & more $$$s in their pocket.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Feb 17, 2020, 1:32:18 PM2/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Doesn't Rivendell already do this via the sale of Protovelos

masmojo

Feb 18, 2020, 11:11:26 AM2/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, but I believe the Protovelos are more or less fleshing out concepts for possible production as opposed to simply building one offs. More calculated, with a particular goal in mind then a " hey what about a 55 Mixte in sparkly red?" Or maybe a one off disc brake Atlantis? Maybe give Mark the chance to stretch a bit.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Feb 18, 2020, 4:51:58 PM2/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 8:11:26 AM UTC-8, masmojo wrote:
…Or maybe a one off disc brake Atlantis?…

LOL! Keep trying…

Patrick Moore

Feb 18, 2020, 9:25:39 PM2/18/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Someone on this list modified his original-issue Atlantis for discs and was very happy with it. I forget who, but he sent me a photo -- best of both worlds (for off road, at any rate), IMO; and a very nice bike.

Perhaps he will speak up?

Patrick Moore

Joe Bernard

Feb 19, 2020, 12:43:47 AM2/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Perhaps he won't speak up! I've seen it, too, and I don't think he wants to rattle RBW's cage by showing it here.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Feb 19, 2020, 2:39:48 PM2/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 6:25:39 PM UTC-8, Patrick Moore wrote:
Someone on this list modified his original-issue Atlantis for discs and was very happy with it. I forget who, but he sent me a photo -- best of both worlds (for off road, at any rate), IMO; and a very nice bike.

I think it's this dude's bike (more pics here). According to the article, the bike was a rather extensive crash rebuild, and needed a new fork. Heck, it was even converted to 650B from 700C. This isn't a "sacrificial Atlantis" but a resurrection. Even though Grant swore he won't make disc-braked bikes, he probably wouldn't be dismayed at this particular example, since the bike is enjoyed as intended, with beausage all around, and outfitted with parts Riv staff will find familiar.

Patrick Moore

Feb 19, 2020, 3:40:00 PM2/19/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
That's the one. Lovely bike.

Chris L

Feb 19, 2020, 4:46:49 PM2/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can't believe that's a 61cm model!   The 650B wheels make the proportions very similar to a 56cm frame with 26" wheels.

JohnS

Feb 22, 2020, 2:15:58 PM2/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A great looking bike! Well done,

JohnS

Chris Balaschak

Feb 24, 2020, 9:42:51 AM2/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm really looking forward to what comes out of this. I am looking to buy a US-made frame, built up and complete, in the next year or so. With most builders, it seems a complete comes out around 5000, maybe only in stock dimensions, which feels out of reach. (Not to mention so few options for rim brakes anymore.) On the other hand, non-US made frames, with quality parts, come in the 2000-3000 range. Nobilette's frames are super reasonable at about $2800 F/F/HS. I ride a Mark-built Legolas, and have owned a second hand Nobilette road bike, they are some fine bikes.