Narrow-wide 1x chain ring question

tc

Jan 1, 2020, 8:54:56 AM1/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm contemplating a 1x8/9 setup, and cannot seem to find a narrow-wide chain ring that meets all of these criteria:
  • 36+ teeth
  • 5-bolt 110 bcd (not deal breaker, but nice to reuse existing arms)
  • Fits non-direct mount, square taper JIS crank arms, like the Silver or Sugino brand cranks many of of us have already
  • 8/9/10 spd chain compatibility
  • Silver color (anodized or polished)
  • Good quality
Hopefully some of you have searched for something like this before and found it.

Sugino doesn't seem to make narrow-wide rings, or at least Google Translator and their pictures lead you to believe that.

Raceface & Wolftooth don't make this in silver.  As an aside: Wolftooth recommends using a 10spd chain in 1x9 setups so the (slightly tighter) chain holds their ring better.

VO doesn't seems to offer a narrow-wide ring.

Hope doesn't offer this in silver.

I love White Ind. cranks and rings, but they're direct-mount arms.

Some company could fill a niche here, I'm thinking...

I have a Sugino XD3BX-701D 46/36 on order, which I may end up using for a 2x setup instead, but wanted to see if any of you have found a 1x crank and narrow-wide ring per above.

Thanks for your thoughts, and Happy New Year!
Tom

Adam in Indiana

Jan 1, 2020, 11:32:03 AM1/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've ordered a Deckas brand narrow-wide off eBay before ($20ish), and then soaked it in oven cleaner to remove the black anodise. It was for a five-arm Sugino crank, 110 bcd.

After the anodization is removed it'll have a rough texture to it, but some high-grit paper and metal polish will clean it up.

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 8:54:56 AM UTC-5, tc wrote:
> I'm contemplating a 1x8/9 setup, and cannot seem to find a narrow-wide chain ring that meets all of these criteria:
> 36+ teeth5-bolt 110 bcd (not deal breaker, but nice to reuse existing arms)Fits non-direct mount, square taper JIS crank arms, like the Silver or Sugino brand cranks many of of us have already8/9/10 spd chain compatibilitySilver color (anodized or polished)

tc

Jan 1, 2020, 10:22:56 PM1/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Adam,
Oven cleaner!  Interesting.  I've seen various references about soaking in various highly caustic liquids, bead or sand blasting, polishing by hand or wheel, etc..  I'm hoping for a ready-made solution.  That's a great fall-back plan though.

Thanks,
Tom

Garth

Jan 2, 2020, 8:13:26 AM1/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

  Black rings actually look fine an silver cranks.  Removing the black from anodized parts with chemicals for the sake of aesthetics doesn't speak very highly of those aesthetics .

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Jan 2, 2020, 8:55:54 AM1/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Reach out to the folks at Analog Cycles, last I heard they had a solution to this conundrum. I think they sourced a UK brand....might even have one in stock for you!

Cheers,

Alex

Matt

Jan 2, 2020, 9:09:05 AM1/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was going to suggest Blackspire, but it seems their offering in this size is also black.

https://www.blackspire.com/product/110mm-bcd-narrowwide-snaggletooth-cx/

tc

Jan 19, 2020, 8:17:31 AM1/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Garbaruk makes chainrings that meet all of the requirements I listed.

Free shipping to U.S. (from Poland).

They also have a good blog post about narrow/wide chainrings.

Tom

Joe Bunik

Jan 21, 2020, 2:18:23 PM1/21/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom for that link to Garbaruk - hadn't heard of them, and they
have some interesting niche rings (like direct-mount N-W for XTR
M950!).

Here's a USA-based company which has their own spin on things - I
don't know quite how I feel about a sharktooth profile!
https://usamadeco.com/collections

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

On 1/19/20, tc <tdc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Garbaruk *
> <https://www.garbaruk.com/110-bcd-5-bolt-round.html?category=3&attrib=10-58&attrib=>makes
>
> chainrings that meet all of the requirements I listed.
>
> Free shipping to U.S. (from Poland).
>
> They also have a good blog post about narrow/wide chainrings
> <https://www.garbaruk.com/blog/articles-1/post/the-state-of-narrow-wide-chainrings-1>
> .
>
> Tom
>
> On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 8:54:56 AM UTC-5, tc wrote:
>>
>> I'm contemplating a 1x8/9 setup, and cannot seem to find a narrow-wide
>> chain ring that meets all of these criteria:
>>
>> - 36+ teeth
>> - 5-bolt 110 bcd (not deal breaker, but nice to reuse existing arms)
>> - Fits non-direct mount, square taper JIS crank arms, like the Silver
>> or Sugino brand cranks many of of us have already
>> - 8/9/10 spd chain compatibility
>> - Silver color (anodized or polished)
>> - Good quality
>>
>> Hopefully some of you have searched for something like this before and
>> found it.
>>
>> Sugino doesn't seem to make narrow-wide rings, or at least Google
>> Translator and their pictures lead you to believe that.
>>
>> Raceface & Wolftooth don't make this in silver. As an aside: Wolftooth
>> recommends using a 10spd chain in 1x9 setups so the (slightly tighter)
>> chain holds their ring better.
>>
>> VO doesn't seems to offer a narrow-wide ring.
>>
>> Hope doesn't offer this in silver.
>>
>> I love White Ind. cranks and rings, but they're direct-mount arms.
>>
>> Some company could fill a niche here, I'm thinking...
>>
>> I have a Sugino XD3BX-701D
>> <https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/touring/xd.html> 46/36 on order,
>>
>> which I may end up using for a 2x setup instead, but wanted to see if any
>>
>> of you have found a 1x crank and narrow-wide ring per above.
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts, and Happy New Year!
>> Tom

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/87f3a18d-9a4d-4c4a-8638-907a6f73f6ee%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Bernard

Jan 21, 2020, 2:51:23 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Speaking of such matters, I have one of these things I'm not using. Joe Bunik sold it to me for probably too low a price cuz I asked, then it turns out I don't know what the heck 4-bolt bcd cranks I have! This one is 94bcd, 32t NW, black, brand new, will sell for whatever shipping is.

Text me for pics and brand (I can't remember right now).
Joe Bernard
415 786 4623

tom coppedge

Jan 21, 2020, 3:16:29 PM1/21/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Glad it was useful, Joe. For me, finding a 5-bolt 110bcd narrow wide with a silver finish (chrome or anodized) proved difficult.

Tom

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CADqphP3jWop7cpi%2B4aDUNc1tfRk7e-oM2o4_TeFzb08b7r%2BVBg%40mail.gmail.com.

Adam Leibow

Jan 21, 2020, 4:00:58 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
IME oven cleaner was not strong enough to remove the black finish from a Raceface chainring, so someone recommended lye, which is serious stuff. I never ended up buying/using lye, but it's probably a strong bet to remove a finish from an anodized part.

Also IME most or all narrow wide chainrings are all branded for no fewer than 10 speeds; you will probably not find one stamped 9speed or 8speed. They'll still work fine with an 8spd or 9spd chain, just make sure your drivetrain is clean and lubricated adequately.

Clayton.sf

Jan 21, 2020, 5:29:44 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If silver is a priority a basic (not narrow wide) non-pinned and ramped ring will likely work just fine. If you end up dropping chains frequently adding a chainkeeper would help keep it on.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

Joe Bernard

Jan 21, 2020, 6:15:44 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's the setup on my Clem L: Regular 42t ring and Paul Chainkeeper. Works great and I'm not convinced I even need the keeper for street riding (but it's Paul and looks cool 👍).