DMV Area Rivendell Riders

mrb

Oct 12, 2021, 9:16:53 AM10/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found out that Paul R and I both live in Takoma Park, and I know he has a stable of 3 amazing Rivs. As a recent Romulus acquirer, I've gotten a few shout outs on the streets in the past couple months. Recently, I've also spotted two super nice rigs out on the trails/streets:

- A super sweet racked and fendered up Cheviot in Grayish/Blue (I think) on the MBT trail out near ~M or so
- A burgundy custom rivendell with a super sick setup riding up 5th st NW

If you live and ride in the DC/Maryland/Virginia metro area, shout it out here and show some pics!

Tom Wyland

Oct 12, 2021, 9:59:55 AM10/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey, Tom here!
I ride a limeolive Platypus and I live out in the Herndon area (Virginia).  I typically don't make it to DC with that bike very often -- maybe I will more when the Silver Line station near my house opens next spring.   I'm active with Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling out this way.

Steve Cole

Oct 12, 2021, 10:28:56 AM10/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Michael,
I live in Arlington with my MIT Atlantis.  Take a look at it on another thread -- Show Me Your Atlantis.  Most of my riding allows me to ride from my home in Rosslyn or start a short drive away -- the Mt. Vernon Trail, the C&O Canal, the Anacostia Trail, the Arlington Loop, Haynes Point, and my most regular ride a 10-miler from home around the U.S. Capitol and back.  I tend to ride just after dawn as the trails are not crowded at that time.  Thanks for starting this thread.
Steve
Arlington

mrb

Oct 12, 2021, 12:12:58 PM10/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
We should do a meetup sometime!

WETH

Oct 12, 2021, 9:38:19 PM10/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in the Kensington area and commute by bike to NW DC.  I have a Hunqapillar, photo attached.  A meetup would be fun!
DSCF5612 (1).jpg

mrb

Oct 13, 2021, 6:52:51 AM10/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gorgeous Hunq!

A great story here! The rider of the Red Custom Riv got back to me off-list! He's waiting for his message to be approved, but he saw my "Riv Bat Signal" and responded! We're gaining steam!

I own a record shop on NW Kennedy St near Rock Creek -- we could meet up over there some time!

Elisabeth Sherwood

Oct 13, 2021, 7:25:44 AM10/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I live near Dupont Circle and have/ride a very, very small butternut Saluki; boyfriend has a green-ish first-generation Hillborne here in DC (and a lovely (and adored) orange Rambouillet in California, bought years ago through a tip on this list).  I looked for photos, and the ones we have are terrible, so those will have to wait.

But, Michael, I ride on Kennedy at least once every couple of weeks! (Mid-way through 2020, desperate for regular exercise, friends and I started meeting up at 6:00 am 2-3 mornings a week and doing quick-and-dirty (@ 20 mile) rides and around through the city -- we often find ourselves flying east on Kennedy, having come from Rock Creek, or going west slightly slower, heading to the park. Will have to look for your shop!)

Liz  Sherwood
Washington, DC

Eric Marth

Oct 13, 2021, 10:32:42 AM10/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm an hour south in Fredericksburg, Appaloosa and Hillborne rider here ☮️😎

Pat Smith

Oct 13, 2021, 11:21:14 AM10/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in DC just jealous of you all that own Rivs!

Pat in Capitol Hill with a Black Mountain Cycles Road+

Robert Gardner

Oct 13, 2021, 12:35:40 PM10/13/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have two Rivs and picking up a Hubbah this Sunday! Lots of us in DC area!

- RG in DC

Je Mar

Oct 13, 2021, 9:30:41 PM10/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my Chev, typically commuting from Arlington into Metro Center during the week, along the W&OD and all around on Sundays.  I've seen a friend on a nice little Betty Foy in the past month or so, but I don't seem to run into too many of you folks (but I'm always looking)...

Jeff in Arlington, VAchev Oct 21.jpg

Pat Smith

Oct 14, 2021, 9:53:52 AM10/14/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll be at Friday night's DC Bike Party leaving Dupont Circle at 7:30. Highly recommend joining if you have never participated before. 100s of bikers slow rolling through the city with a mid point pit stop and after party at an outdoor bar. Fun party atmosphere with some nifty bikes.

IMG_20211012_193858.jpg

Austin B.

Oct 16, 2021, 11:51:06 AM10/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ha. Small world. I rode the Seagull Century on my Roadeo and Paul R (I think) came up alongside me on his blue 68cm Rambouillet--very cool bike. I'm 1 hour north of DC.

My Roadeo below with mostly modern non-Riv components & wide tires makes for a fun, fast, and comfortable road bike.

Austin B in Sykesville, MD

Roadeo1.jpg

Greg Scott Bryan

Oct 16, 2021, 12:05:00 PM10/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Original Romulus owner here. Used to live in DC & Arlington, but now out in western Loudoun. Mostly you will find me on the WOD.

Chris M

Oct 16, 2021, 12:05:27 PM10/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
MRB--

I think that was me on the burgundy custom on 5th! That was my first ride on it, so I haven't taken photos yet. I'm in Takoma Park, too! Seems like a Rivendell-ish sort of town.

A meetup sounds fun!

-Chris

mrb

Nov 28, 2021, 4:42:34 PM11/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
While out today in Rock Creek Park (not on my Riv, unfortunately), I saw THREE new Rivs I haven't seen before!

- A nicely racked up and fendered Hunq
- A different Hunq
- Maybe a custom or a road? Greenish silverish and said "Rivendell"

Best part was seeing the racked up, very upright and comfortable Hunq rider, whose smile was visible from a mile away. I swear half the time i see a rider with a big smile, upright position, and a steel bike, it's a Riv!

A Rivendell just makes you happy to Ride!

Eric Marth

Feb 16, 2022, 12:29:29 PM2/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi DMV people – Anyone interested in meeting up for a ride sometime soon in or around DC? I'm unfamiliar with good routes and rides and of course open to suggestions. Would love to ride for a few hours :) Cold doesn't bother me but looks like we might be getting some nice weather before long.

Elisabeth Sherwood

Feb 16, 2022, 2:20:49 PM2/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Would love to, Eric!  (Depending on timing, of course...)

(And, I think I owe you an email...)

A nice ride, staying mostly on local paths is:  (i) start south of the Anacostia, along the Anacostia Riverwalk trail; head northeast along the trail to Bladensburg; (ii) when you hit the fork where you can take either the Northwest Branch or the Northeast Branch, go left and take the Northwest Branch Trail; (iii) turn left onto the Sligo Creek Trail; keep following that until the trail ends (or, rather, becomes more of a pure walking path), and then just take Sligo Creek Parkway north; (iv) when Sligo Creek hits Forest Glen Rd, take Forest Glen left (west) and then find your way down to Forsythe Ave/Jones Mill Rd.

At that point you can decide if you'd like to head north-ish on Beach Drive for a few miles, ending up at Garrett Park, which is the local turnaround. Or you can go south on Jones Mill, which will lead to the southern section of Beach Drive.  That section of Beach Drive is closed off to cars.

Once you've gone down Beach Drive, there are multiple city-street-based ways to get back to the Anacostia Riverwalk trail.

Will do up a Google Maps thing so you can see what that looks like...

Cheers!

Liz Sherwood
Washington, DC

Robert Gardner

Feb 16, 2022, 2:26:04 PM2/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Would love to bring my tandem out if y'all go for a ride.

Elisabeth Sherwood

Feb 16, 2022, 2:31:16 PM2/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Eric Marth