Path Less Pedaled will review a Riv!

Brett Callahan

Aug 3, 2020, 11:55:33 PM8/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't know what the reader/viewer overlap between the Riv list and the Path Less Pedaled list is like, outside of Michael Mann and myself, but damn am I excited by this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDccdhYHoFU/?igshid=phskilu88qw3
(Link is to their Instagram, I'm mobile right know so you may have to copy and paste, apologies)

Anyone know what model this is?

For those unfamiliar, Russ and his partner at Path Less Pedaled do a lot of great bike reviews, videos and interviews with Industry folk "on the supple side" of cycling, i.e.; they're into non race oriented stuff. Worth your time, I think.

Cheers,

Brett in PDX

J Imler

Aug 4, 2020, 12:11:24 AM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m looking forward to this also. I read about it first in a Riv email...a Sam Hillborne review I believe.

Joe Bernard

Aug 4, 2020, 12:57:31 AM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Should be interesting. Even if he says "supple" 17 times OMG I hate that term.

masmojo

Aug 4, 2020, 8:25:37 AM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I watch him, he drives me crazy with how he "tests" things sometimes. His test of clipless Vs. Flat pedals for example only demonstrated one thing & that was that he didn't understand exactly how to use clipless pedals effectively! LOL

He has improved a lot though he's gotten popular enough that he can review bikes other than the ones he & his girlfriend personally own and he doesn't have to beg people to get him bikes to test anymore.

I got my Polyvalent & my Bombora before he got them to test so I was interested to get his take on both. He added both to his personal stable so I felt like he was copying me for a while there. LOL!

Andrew Turner

Aug 4, 2020, 9:14:36 AM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm looking forward to the review as well. I love that Rivendell threw in a HappiSack just in case Russ was foolish enough to review it bare-boned.

tuolumne bikes

Aug 4, 2020, 9:42:31 AM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree on the s-word. I try be flexible on these things though. When the day comes that someone starts marketing brake pads as supple, I may be headed for hermit land.

Carl

Eric G@rs

Aug 4, 2020, 12:28:06 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Glad to see Russ reviewing a Rivendell and curious to know what effect this will have on Riv sales assuming a positive review. I agree that the word supple is greatly over used on his channel, but overall he seems like a good dude who is trying to promote the non-competitive cycling ethos in the same vein as Just Ride.

Eric
SF

Nathan F

Aug 4, 2020, 12:53:35 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What excites me is that it's a 650b Hillborne... perhaps a production sample from the upcoming release? That'd be cool to see!

Nathan in PDX

Ryan M.

Aug 4, 2020, 12:54:52 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m very excited to see his review of the Riv...won’t sway my opinion of Rivendell bikes but I always find his videos entertaining and I really like their channel.

They make some great patches too, if you are into that.

Does the new Sam have long chainstays like the new Atlantis or is this bike much like the previous versions?

Joe Bernard

Aug 4, 2020, 1:11:17 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
To be clear - I didn't expect my comment to get so much play - it's just the word I'm not into. The PLP folks seem lovely and I'm interested to hear what they think of the Hillborne.

Chris L

Aug 4, 2020, 4:54:21 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does anyone recall if Russ has ever ridden a Rivendell?  I know he's a fan because he once commented very favorably on my Hunqapillar.

velomann

Aug 4, 2020, 11:22:42 PM8/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes - pretty sure Russ has swung a leg over a Riv or 2. When he and Laura lived in Portland they would occasionally swing by Rivelo and there's a Path less Pedaled Rivelo shop visit video. And I know he'd welcome the opportunity to do a Grant interview.
And Supple is the perfect term, both for describing a particular quality of tire casing, as well as the type of riding those tires permit.

Mike M

Jingy

Aug 5, 2020, 6:44:35 PM8/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
He just posted a 1st ride video

Brett Callahan

Aug 5, 2020, 7:36:01 PM8/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I enjoyed the first ride video. Not surprised that Russ seems to be enjoying the bike, as so much of his aesthetic and riding style seems to be Grant inspired. I also got a kick out of the joking about disc brakes.

Interesting that the bike came equipped with Ultradynamico tires. I for one really like the Rivendell/Crust/Poppi cross pollination that has been going on lately.

Re: the comments in this thread about the perceived overuse of the term supple, it's never bothered me. It seems to me that Russ uses the term with tongue firmly in cheek, and I think it's a good way of describing the non race type of comfortable riding he enjoys, as is his other catch phrase: "party pace." It's as good a term as any, I think. He's also sort of branded the term, making "Supple" patches and other gear. Maybe it divides people into pro and con camps with no middle ground, like the Crust Bike marketing copy seems to.

Anyway, good pub for Rivendell excites me. Hopefully this will generate more interest in Rivendell among an audience that isn't as familiar with the brand!

Brett in PDX.

Bill Schairer

Aug 5, 2020, 9:10:53 PM8/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lots of ads to endure!

Bill S

masmojo

Aug 6, 2020, 7:43:05 AM8/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
His initial review was pretty much what I expected.
Although, it was pretty obvious to me he was grappling with the Billie bars; I noticed he really favored the forward hand position. Being a rider who favors drop bars that was not surprising; it made me think he would probably like some Albastash bars much more! Also I know he favors a smaller frame, but maybe some of his reach issues stem from it possibly being too small?

Eric Daume

Aug 6, 2020, 7:52:42 AM8/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
After watching this video, I jumped over to the Riv site to see what the current spec is on the Sam... and it’s not even on the site. No preorder info or anything. Seems like an opportunity missed.

Chris L

Aug 6, 2020, 8:14:15 AM8/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have tried the albatross bars several times, on several bikes, including my Hunqapillar.  I really, really want to like them but I just can't.  The only spot on the bar I found tolerable was at the very front of the curves, and I'm not a drop bar rider.

Brett Callahan

Aug 6, 2020, 11:59:15 AM8/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish the albatross were a little wider. The trick for me has been using a very long stem--far longer than what Russ has on his demo bike. I also run them at saddle height, not high like many I've seen. In that configuration I find them to be comfy and like the control. I just put a pair on my MIT Atlantis and am going to try a slightly longer than usual gravel ride in them this weekend. I usually commute about 9 miles one way in them. Thinking 30ish miles of mixed terrain is a good test.

The billies didn't work for me, but perhaps I gave up on them too quickly. I tried them on a 12 cm stem with a moderate front load on an overnighter and found everything too flexy.

Dave Johnston

Aug 6, 2020, 8:11:53 PM8/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Sam's are supposed to arrive in "September-ish", so if they do the full review later in Aug or Sept it will be timely enough as far as Riv is concerned. Lately some of the more popular sizes and colors have sold out before the frames even arrived, so I'm not sure how much advertising they need.

-Dave J

Chris L

Aug 7, 2020, 10:36:11 PM8/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
He's already posted a second video of the Hillborne, this time on some mild single-track.

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Aug 7, 2020, 11:36:56 PM8/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:36:11 PM UTC-7, Chris L wrote:
He's already posted a second video of the Hillborne, this time on some mild single-track.

That title is a bit click-baity though. It mentions "Underbiking with the Rivendell", but unless Russ cut out the more technical bits of the trail from the video, riding that route with that Sam isn't what I'll consider "underbiking"; I mean, the tires are fat and knobby for goodness' sakes! Underbiking would be riding that route on 23/25mm wide file tread tires with a 39x23 lowest gear.

brendonoid

Aug 8, 2020, 6:44:22 AM8/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
From what I gather watching his channel he is being very tongue in cheek about these things. He gets a lot of those dude bro cyclists in his comments calling him a hipster for not wearing lycra or suggesting that unless you have hydraulic disc brakes you can go on the dirt. Pretty sure it's well intended sarcasm. Could be wrong.

Mark Roland

Aug 8, 2020, 7:08:43 AM8/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't watch it really, but the little I've seen shows he does employ a dry wit.  Tongue in cheek, spot on. Sarcasm, not really. (Well-intended sarcasm is an oxymoron;^)

masmojo

Aug 9, 2020, 3:21:46 PM8/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have to agree about the width of the Albatross bars, a little wider would be nice, but if you put it into the context of when they actually came out, at that time they were considered quite wide. Handlebars across ALL disciplines have gotten MUCH wider. The Billie bar is a little wider technically, but because it flairs out a little more the additional width is only at the extreme of the ends of the bar which is deceiving, because you may not ride back far enough to utilize that additional width.

My favorite bars; in no particular order:
Albastash
Albatross (steel)
Salsa Cowbell
Surly Sunrise
FSA Metropolis

Honorable mention: the new Tumbleweed persuader. It could possibly be my all time favorite if it weren't so blasted heavy!
Also at 800mm wide it's hard to figure why anyone outside of Wilt Chamberlain would find it comfortable. I cut mine down quite a bit, but still nearly ate it the other day when I caught the end of the bar on something.

Sorry I skated so far off topic there! 🙄

Eric Daume

Aug 9, 2020, 3:24:51 PM8/9/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
The Tumbleweed Persuader looks very similar to the Soma Dream bar, though the Soma comes in aluminum.

Why do steel frames feel good while steel bars just feel harsh and heavy? At least the ones I've tried.

masmojo

Aug 9, 2020, 3:58:18 PM8/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Those are similar looking! The unique thing with the Tumbleweed bar is the the middle section is wider than normal to facilitate using a bar bag. But although they don't list it, I am assuming the SOMA bar is lighter since it is aluminum.
Yes, steel bars tend to be heavier, but I rarely find them harsh. I prefer the steel Albatross just because it is much more supple in my opinion & only slightly heavier.
The Tumbleweed bar is not harsh either, I just think it's over built; maybe making it so wide necessitates it be made out of thicker Steel!? I don't know, but it's a wonderful bar saving that one issue.

Joel Stern

Aug 9, 2020, 5:47:11 PM8/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've only seen them do a Velo Orange review, this should be interesting.

John Phillips

Aug 9, 2020, 6:52:31 PM8/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wasn't able to get comfortable on my Albatross bars until I switched to a lower Nitto NP 12cm stem, and the Nitto S84 seat post with 4cm setback. I also tilt them down so the bar is perpendicular to my arm and my wrist is straight. I simply needed more space, more reach, and to take the kinks out of my wrists.

YMMV of course,

John

John Phillips

Aug 9, 2020, 6:57:45 PM8/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, and one more thing: switched from the 55cm cromo Alba to an old 56cm wide HA Albatross bar. That teensy 1cm more width is nice too. I wish Nitto still made them that way.

John

masmojo

Aug 11, 2020, 7:34:28 AM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I noticed recently that SOMA only has one 56cm wide Albatross listed & it's for 31.8 clamps!?

Hmmmm . . . . ?

Joel

Aug 11, 2020, 9:08:07 AM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

This is their version, I do not believe it is a Nitto.  https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/oxford-bar

Kevin L

Aug 11, 2020, 10:48:59 AM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I too would love a wider Albatross. I was really bummed to see that the 61 cm Loscos that Will uses didn't pass Nitto's testing. I'd really be into a 60s width, 25.4 clamp sweeper that would take bar end shifters. Best I can find is the Surly Open Bar.

Craig Montgomery

Aug 11, 2020, 4:06:08 PM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I vote we dump the 21st Century "supple" and go back to the "lively" of the mid 20th Century:

Craig-as lively as road kill-in Tucson

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 9:57:31 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:
Should be interesting. Even if he says "supple" 17 times OMG I hate that term.
Ancient Tire Wisdom.jpg
Fast and Easy Touring.jpg

John Phillips

Aug 11, 2020, 5:07:02 PM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think these are the 56cm wide Nitto Albatross bars that Soma offers with the 31.8mm clamp diameter:

John

Joel Stern

Aug 11, 2020, 5:50:59 PM8/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Mackenzy Albright

Aug 11, 2020, 7:49:04 PM8/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
For those of you contemplating wider albatross bars, there's a custom bar builder on Instagram doom.bars who has been making an albatross style bar in various 600mm+ sizes. And can make customs for $100usd. Can't say haven't been tempted.

https://instagram.com/doom.bars?igshid=1gsbk70p44itn

Joel Stern

Aug 11, 2020, 8:13:43 PM8/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There is also the Nitto Billie Bar that Riv has..

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 7:49 PM Mackenzy Albright <mackenzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
For those of you contemplating wider albatross bars, there's a custom bar builder on Instagram doom.bars who has been making an albatross style bar in various 600mm+ sizes. And can make customs for $100usd. Can't say haven't been tempted.

 https://instagram.com/doom.bars?igshid=1gsbk70p44itn

Eric G@rs

Aug 31, 2020, 9:50:01 PM8/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Russ posted a more complete review of the Hillborne a bit ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii0I6PY0cvo
Sounds like he liked it so much that be bought one of his own!

Eric G@rs
Menlo Park

Joel Stern

Aug 31, 2020, 10:21:49 PM8/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric, nice review.

~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.
~~Thank you~~

Garth

Sep 1, 2020, 3:22:04 AM9/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

   Oooooh, thanks for that Mackenzy !

I have the original 56cm steel Albatross bar and I love 'em. I tried some of the 55 Al ones and it was notably different, the radius of the curve was smaller and I didn't like it one bit.

I acquired a Billie bar recently and it was quite a downer. Sure, it's wider at the ends, but the radius of the curve is very small and the width of the bar is very narrow there, more so than a Alba. If you limit your hand position to the ends that's fine, but if like me you want to use it's full length back/forward it doesn't work so good.  The whatbars website overlay between a Alba and Billie isn't accurate, at least with the 56 Alba.

So yes, if anything the Alba could use a widening !  I also prefer the steel bars as I can use bar end brake levers.  I'll contact Doom Bars and see what he can do. I'll gladly pay $100 for a custom wider Alba bar.

Doug H.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:18:44 AM9/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The review was well done and had lots of video footage of him riding on trails/paths. I found it interesting that he is riding a frame size that fits but he could ride up one size. He mentioned that the smaller size would allow him to utilize drop bars but wasn't ideal for swept back bars without a fairly long stem. But, he set his Sam Hillborne up with Bosco bars. Anyway, it was a nice review.
Doug Hansford

RichS

Sep 2, 2020, 9:03:24 AM9/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Craig,

Enjoyed those ads. How about supple as a constrictor but lively as a kitten?

Best,
Rich in ATL - still liking my Sam 6 years on

Ben Mihovk

Sep 6, 2020, 1:42:40 AM9/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love Path Less Pedaled!!! Great stuff on his Sam and I can't wait to see what modifications he makes to it (he threw drops on it yesterday, it looks like on Instagram!)

velomann

Sep 6, 2020, 9:07:48 PM9/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Russ's videos, and his enthusiasm for the Sam (he did decide to buy it) pushed me over the edge and I put my deposit down 2 weeks ago with Golden pliers for a 51cm Sam H in the Dark Gold. I've been a Riv fanboy and occasional presence on this list for years, but this will actually be my own first Rivendell. I've owned (and sold) several Bridgestones, I had (and wrecked) an Ocean Air Cycles Rambler. I just recently took delivery of a custom Bantam disc brake sport tourer to replace the Rambler. And in the Portland bike community I'm involved with it's only a slight exageration when I say All My Friends Have Rivendells. Like Russ I've given the Rivendell treatment to several of my bikes, but it's time to go all in for the real deal. Part of my thinking is also a bit of a pendulum swing back to rim brakes, encouraged by Russ's review, as well as some comments Ron (Ultraromance) made about his Atlantis with Canti brakes on the GDMBR when Russ interviewed him a few months ago.
Another bonus is that adding the Sam will actually reduce my stable. Part of my decision was "what bikes will this replace?" So I sold the 89 MB-2 drop-bar conversion, the BS Mile 112 is currently listed, and the Trek 750 is about to go as soon as I swap out the Albatross bars (going on the Sam). Also the Trek 930 650b conversion - back to 26" and on to Craigslist (the wheels were from the Rambler and will go on the Sam). Same with the Specialized Crossroads - that was going to be my next project, but there's no need now. So, add 1 bike, sell 5.
Also, the place-hold for the new Sams is up on the Riv site. Will told me a couple week ago that they were already short on the 51's due to Blue Lug snagging a bunch. So if you're considering and on the fence, I suggest getting your name in quick.

Mike M

Joel Stern

Sep 6, 2020, 10:46:16 PM9/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Riv is not listing them other than saying blue and dark gold.  Have you seen a sample of the dark gold? I was hoping for Orange again.  Is the price to remain the same?  Thanks
Joel

velomann

Sep 7, 2020, 12:38:02 AM9/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/framesets/products/frame-sam-hillborne-2020

On this page there's a photo of a hand holding a tube painted the "Dark Gold" color. It's pretty orange-y looking ;-)

Mike M

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 10:55:33 PM UTC-5 brettjc...@gmail.com wrote:
I don't know what the reader/viewer overlap between the Riv list and the Path Less Pedaled list is like, outside of Michael Mann and myself, but damn am I excited by this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDccdhYHoFU/?igshid=phskilu88qw3
(Link is to their Instagram, I'm mobile right know so you may have to copy and paste, apologies)

Anyone know what model this is?

For those unfamiliar, Russ and his partner at Path Less Pedaled do a lot of great bike reviews, videos and interviews with Industry folk "on the supple side" of cycling, i.e.; they're into non race oriented stuff. Worth your time, I think.

Cheers,

Brett in PDX

Joel Stern

Sep 7, 2020, 9:37:16 AM9/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, I was wondering as it looked orange like.  I will look on my computer.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5ee57e32-9686-4a04-ad39-be40f8037d0ao%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Cole

Sep 7, 2020, 11:24:46 AM9/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would call it Saffron with. metal flake.  I love the color but am not a fan of metal flake.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

masmojo

Sep 8, 2020, 11:53:44 AM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On my Computer it looks like a light cinnamon color

Nathan Mattia

Sep 8, 2020, 10:40:22 PM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I gotta say that pic looks to me like the same color as my Orange Sam

844EF670-27CD-4BF3-9999-85354840B7CF.jpeg

Ok, maybe not exact, but REAL close

velomann

Sep 8, 2020, 11:16:23 PM9/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saffron. Cinnamon. Sounds like we're in agreement that the color is "spicy!"

Mike M