Front basket rack recommendations

Alex K

Sep 21, 2023, 12:19:47 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just found a screamin deal on a fully built 51 Sam. Now it's time to get it kitted out. I love my Pass And Stow for the heavy duty- stuff and aesthetically, it's unmatched IMO. Perhaps a bit of overkill as a simple basket rack. Would love an RBW51 Nitto rack, but not sure I can justify the $288 plus tax. Looking for something simple and elegant and cost-efficient for mounting a Wald 139 Hardware-less Basket and a Tunitas 137 Tote.
If anybody has a well used RBW51 that they would be willing to part with, I'd love to hear from you.
Also looking for other options and would love to see what y'all are using for your Wald 139 Baskets.
Thanks!
Alex
a c k s f 7 8 gmail

greenteadrinkers

Sep 21, 2023, 12:54:33 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
In the latest PLP video, Russ brings to light a nice basket solution from a company called Manivelle. The Le Porteur version is a little less than 2 lbs, which is kind of amazing for a basket and rack combination. The standard version seems to work well with a basket bag. Looks like you might spend under $100 for the Manivelle.

Richard Rose

Sep 21, 2023, 1:12:26 PM9/21/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I thought it odd that the basket was a bit larger than a Wald 137. Seems so many nice basket bags are perfectly sized for the 137. I have been very happy mounting my 137 via zip ties to a Tumbleweed “T” rack. The best thing about the Tumbleweed racks is the 3 bolt mounts built in to the support legs. Makes these racks very versatile.
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 21, 2023, at 12:54 PM, greenteadrinkers <greentea...@gmail.com> wrote:

In the latest PLP video, Russ brings to light a nice basket solution from a company called Manivelle. The Le Porteur version is a little less than 2 lbs, which is kind of amazing for a basket and rack combination. The standard version seems to work well with a basket bag. Looks like you might spend under $100 for the Manivelle.

DavidP

Sep 21, 2023, 1:28:53 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Alex,

Just double checking - but you mention a Wald 139 basket (the larger one) and the Tunitas 137 tote (the one designed for the Wald 137 basket).

If you are looking for the larger basket, then the Pelago Rasket may be worth a look. It's another combo basket and front rack and the basket is slightly larger than the Wald 139.

-Dave

Alex K

Sep 21, 2023, 5:08:22 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh boy. That is a brilliant use of the Tumbleweed rack!!!! If only The Sam fork had those mounts on the fork!!!! I really really dig that. As far as the Tunitas 137 Basket Tote in the Wald 139 basket, I tried a Tunitas 139 Basket Bag in the 139 basket and it was way too snug, no wiggle room and I really had to jam it in there to get it to feel right. The 137 Basket Tote just fits better. Similar issues with the Sackville ShopSack Large vs. Medium. The large WILL fit, but the medium fits like a glove. Will keep an eye out for the pelago
Alex

m f

Sep 21, 2023, 5:14:05 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pelago makes great racks that can attach to eyelets or through the axle (and then attach a Wald 139). The RBW rack is available through Blue Lug (Japan) for appx $100 less than sourcing it here in the states. You will pay a little bit for shipping, but it allows you to justify adding a bunch of fun Blue Lug stuff to your order

Brian Turner

Sep 21, 2023, 5:14:21 PM9/21/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, a friend of mine recently picked up a Pelago Rasket, and while Pelago makes very nice, affordable racks, my friend said he was shocked at how incredibly heavy the Rasket was.

On Sep 21, 2023, at 5:08 PM, Alex K <ack...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh boy. That is a brilliant use of the Tumbleweed rack!!!! If only The Sam fork had those mounts on the fork!!!! I really really dig that. As far as the Tunitas 137 Basket Tote in the Wald 139 basket, I tried a Tunitas 139 Basket Bag in the 139 basket and it was way too snug, no wiggle room and I really had to jam it in there to get it to feel right. The 137 Basket Tote just fits better. Similar issues with the Sackville ShopSack Large vs. Medium. The large WILL fit, but the medium fits like a glove. Will keep an eye out for the pelago

Richard Rose

Sep 21, 2023, 6:05:32 PM9/21/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is the same Tumbleweed T rack mounted to the rear of the Gus. That is a Fifth Season basket bag & it is a perfect fit for the 137.
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Edwin W

Sep 21, 2023, 6:26:12 PM9/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Cycles manivelle rack is slick. No zip ties, cool!

Edwin

Luke Hendrickson

Sep 22, 2023, 1:16:51 AM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love these: Rip Rack from Rat King, Five Rail from Pass & Stow, or the 34F from Nitto.

Conway Bennett

Sep 22, 2023, 7:26:08 AM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a Wald 137 attached to a Jack the Bike Rack with a Fifth Season/Analog Cycles Squall Sack.  It's secure, and I remove it in moments.

Ryan Frahm

Sep 22, 2023, 9:31:35 AM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the Ti version of this:

The steel is a much better deal of course for not much more weight. I’ve carried the over 20lbs on mine no problem.

Justin Kennedy

Sep 22, 2023, 10:00:48 AM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never used one, but these Memento Cycles racks look good, sturdy, and are on the cheaper side:

The Soma Lucas 3 rack is also super sturdy. Not the best looking rack out there but a steal at $60:

Message has been deleted

Alex K

Sep 22, 2023, 12:51:16 PM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow. That Memento site is dangerous. Beautiful stuff. Rawland looks great too. RatKing (original Tumbleweed T-rack maker!) also gorgeous. So much good stuff here. Think I'm going to be boring and go with a Velo Orange Porteur. Really really wish the Sams had forks with the bolts on the top for mounting the Tumbleweed T rack.  Thanks for all the help!!
Alex

velomann

Sep 22, 2023, 11:08:35 PM9/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got baskets mounted on at least 4 bikes currently (including my Sam) with basket-capable racks on a couple others. And I have a very strong personal  aesthetic dislike of any front racks that attach to the fork dropouts, as well as racks or bikes that require P-Clamps (so ugly!)
I know (I think?) that it's not recommended, but I have no issue with running a Wald 137 mounted on either a Marks Rack (my Sam) or a Nitto M-18 (two other bikes).
I had a couple bikes with the cheapo ($15) Sunlight front rack that mounts to the Canti bolts and fork crown, including one running a Wald 139, but I had to use a strap to connect the front of the basket to the stem to take some of the weight, which is less than ideal and the rack will eventually fail anyway. But for the price of one Nitto front rack, you can blow through several of these and still be money ahead ;-)
I also really like the Velo Orange Flat-Pack rack, which is rock solid and has a wider platform than the small Nitto racks. I didn't try it with a 139, but I'm confident it would work fine. I also have two bikes running Jack-The-Bike-Racks and love those racks - they make great, solid basket platforms.

Mike M

William Watson

Sep 27, 2023, 11:30:16 AM9/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought a Manivelle rack for my wife's bike, she likes it a lot! Most are in silver or black, but we bought this cool pink/retro style one. I bought it through my LBS though.