Fire Season Smoke Ridin' Tips

Deacon Patrick

Jun 17, 2020, 11:15:41 PM6/17/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Who's got tips for riding in the smoke of fires, far enough away there is minimal particulate (so not slicing up lungs), but still significant smoke? Mine:

- Shift down 1-2 or more gears and breath no harder than if you were walking. Except when the mountain won't let you, then you have to decide.

- Nose breath exclusively.

- I've tried a mask and it only help if having to ride where the fire is close enough for particulates to be prevelant.

Eric Norris

Jun 18, 2020, 1:06:44 AM6/18/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Check your local air quality monitors. There may be high levels of particulates even if you can’t see them. These tiny particles lodge themselves deep in your lungs and can cause great damage. If the air quality is bad, use an N-95 mask.

–Eric N

On Jun 17, 2020, at 8:15 PM, 'Deacon Patrick' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Who's got tips for riding in the smoke of fires, far enough away there is minimal particulate (so not slicing up lungs), but still significant smoke? Mine:

tuolumne bikes

Jun 18, 2020, 12:53:42 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
We encounter two common scenarios in the Sierra foothills.

1. Fires dispersed across CA and generally bad air quality. When this happens the air doesn't usually smell like smoke, but it looks bad. I have to decide whether to ride based on AQ data--unhealthful for... When I was a teen in LA this was routine without fires.

2. Fire nearby in the Sierra. Smells like smoke and AQ data is not really applicable. The smoke sinks overnight and shifts to rise as the day heats up. Often some minimal riding can be done by paying attention to winds and time of day.

As seasons go fire season smoke is more limiting than the summer heat.

Carl