Wow! What's going on with Rivendell caps going for $$$

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Nov 14, 2020, 3:22:58 PM11/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So I was browsing eBay and happened upon this auction. The auction is for a used Rivendell cycling cap, and started yesterday (Nov 13th). The bids quickly added up and currently, a full 6 days before the auction ends, we're already at $51 plus $3.95 for shipping.

Looking at the cap in question, I don't see anything special about it. It's cotton, its proceeds will not benefit any charity, and it's used (albeit in almost-new condition). Why are people willing to bid this cap up so high? And more importantly, am I now slightly wealthier because I have a stack of similar used Rivendell caps in different colors, including this mustard-yellow version? :)

Joe Bernard

Nov 14, 2020, 4:38:30 PM11/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I saw that and I'd pay $50 for that rad color if it fit my fathead (it won't). Stuff you can't buy new anymore can get absurdly valuable.

rlti...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2020, 4:47:01 PM11/14/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a few unused caps in various colors from long ago. They never fit my fat head. Think mine are the orange, yellow and blue versions. Maybe I can retire earlier than planned?

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 12:22:58 PM UTC-8 Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA wrote:
So I was browsing eBay and happened upon this auction. The auction is for a used Rivendell cycling cap, and started yesterday (Nov 13th). The bids quickly added up and currently, a full 6 days before the auction ends, we're already at $51 plus $3.95 for shipping.

Looking at the cap in question, I don't see anything special about it. It's cotton, its proceeds will not benefit any charity, and it's used (albeit in almost-new condition). Why are people willing to bid this cap up so high? And more importantly, am I now slightly wealthier because I have a stack of similar used Rivendell caps in different colors, including this mustard-yellow version? :)

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Nov 14, 2020, 7:25:13 PM11/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
How large is your head? I have a 60-odd cm head circumference and always have to get the largest caps and helmets. One size fits all usually means a bit tight. It’s bad enough that if my hair grows too long, the fit will go from nicely snug, to “yeah, I need to cut my hair soon”.

Mark Roland

Nov 16, 2020, 10:37:21 PM11/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is one deluxe cycling cap, though. Riv has done a number of different styles over the years, latest some fancy wool short bill caps I think, kinda pricey. With separate panels, what looks like a liner, and printing in several places, it's a bit more lux than the $35 baseball cap I just got. Nice, tasteful, but only a sewn-on RBW patch to signify. Benz, how much for your stack?  Or at least a blue or a brown one?

Saturday Mark

Nov 17, 2020, 11:27:45 AM11/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fat head guys are always the red head step child. But I have found the Walz caps come in 2 sizes and the LG fits me well. YMMV

I still don't understand the 50 used riv hat deal though

Mark Roland

Nov 17, 2020, 9:50:11 PM11/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saturday Mark wrote: I still don't understand the 50 used riv hat deal though

Tuesday Mark responded: No worries, you don't have to. It's a $69 deal at the moment.

Joel S

Nov 18, 2020, 12:19:09 AM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I still wear my Riv caps. They are old by now.  I would not pay th3 auction price so I will probably be wearing other caps soon.

John A. Bennett

Nov 18, 2020, 11:07:05 AM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I remember that one. It came in as a surprise.
Grant said it was the ugliest cap he'd ever seen.
We didn't sell them. A few leaked out, I guess.

Used Rivendell caps normally don't sell for anywhere near this amount on eBay.

Mark Roland

Nov 18, 2020, 6:36:02 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well there's your answer--Ugly Rivendell Caps are the new Ugly Christmas Sweaters. Get 'em while the gettin's good.

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2020, 6:53:43 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The current bid on that cap is proof positive that we've all been in the house too long 😳

Eric Marth

Nov 19, 2020, 9:09:56 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think that mustard cap is a great color.

Mark Roland

Nov 19, 2020, 6:27:44 PM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
`I like the color and the logos, too--though I don't think the mustard would be particularly flattering on me (It would, however, match a few stains on some shirts I have). I think the shape is a bit non-traditional for a cotton cycling cap.  BTW, crept up $2 to $71 with a little over a day left--late Saturday Night hammer.

George Cline

Nov 21, 2020, 11:52:05 AM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got the same hat which I bought from a Performance Bike Shop many years ago! Geez, I've got to find it and offer it up for sale! (It's got lots of beausage, too!).

George in NoCal

Joel Stern

Nov 21, 2020, 12:13:41 PM11/21/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
$81, Wow is right.

~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.
~~Thank you~~

Nathan F

Nov 21, 2020, 1:51:42 PM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I take this auction and similar, like a used mug that went for $55 a month or so ago, as proof Riv needs to revive some of their accessory lines. People want the stuff (myself included) and I know the margin is there to make the endeavor worthwhile.
Message has been deleted

Justin

Nov 21, 2020, 2:10:19 PM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've seen two people in sperate conversations online mention bidding on that hat with zero interest in winning the auction. They just wanted to see how high it would go. So whoever won in the end are paying extra due to broadened internet awareness and a couple jerks. I see this quite a bit in another realm of my interests that also finds its home on ebay, I've learned not to blow up a spot if it's something that I'm interested in.

Mark Roland

Nov 21, 2020, 2:12:07 PM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
?? The company still sells various Riv-branded hats and tees, as well as a mug, buttons, stickers, patches, and posters. These items are often out of stock, but they definitely still sell schwag.

Mark Roland

Nov 21, 2020, 2:21:27 PM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
They may have zero interest, but if they bid and nobody bids higher, they are obliged to buy it. If they don't, they could lose their access to eBay auctions.
In terms of auction outings, that's a tough one. Obviously you are not going to advertise an auction of an item you are interested in bidding on. Then, if you are not interested, and post a link, now another list member who was hoping to snag it may have to contend with more bidders. In this case I think it was more of a novelty, can-you-believe check this out kinda thing. Curious how you were able to eavesdrop on these two people who bid with no intention of wanting the item.

Joe Bernard

Nov 22, 2020, 12:38:41 AM11/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sold, $81. The great Mustard Rivendell Cap performance art project is at an end.