PSA Clem Smith Jr/Clememtine Sacramento Craigslist with interesting ad

Jeff B

Mar 26, 2020, 8:27:04 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
No relation to seller but here is a Clementine for sale north east of Sacramento with an interesting ad. No mention of Rivendell and whoever made it seemed to just google the downtime name.

Hoping that nothing nefarious is going on with the sale of it.

Michael Morrissey

Mar 26, 2020, 8:51:37 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lol that’s hilarious. It’s a good deal though. What size is it?

BRETT ROBINSON

Mar 26, 2020, 10:19:13 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow great deal, but definitely a weird ad.

Looks like a 59 maybe?

Dorothy C

Mar 26, 2020, 10:20:49 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds very dubious - they don't even know the wheel size, it is listed as a 20 inch

Michael Baquerizo

Mar 26, 2020, 10:22:26 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lack of info + quick google search makes me think it might be a stolen bike. Hopefully wrong but I can't imagine I am.

Dave S

Mar 26, 2020, 11:19:04 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a 650b/52cm to me.  I would doubt this is stolen. I buy and sell a fair amount of used bikes and I try to avoid stolen stuff.  Although the seller is clueless, that doesn't mean it was acquired illegally. I deal with so many estate cleanout and storage auction guys that do a quick google search on the biggest word on the bike and list it.

Also, I don't think they'd post the bike's VIN and their license plate in the ad if they were a criminal.

Dave

Michael Baquerizo

Mar 26, 2020, 11:24:12 AM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
fair enough, always happy to be wrong

Joe Bernard

Mar 26, 2020, 1:25:06 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
$700 for a black Clementine, sheesh! I should go nab that, then do a "did someone steal this from you" Craigslist ad to see if someone can convince me they lost it.

Jeff B

Mar 26, 2020, 1:28:08 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It does seem like a great deal if nothing fishy is going on. Agreed that it could be an estate item,fairly new for that though.

It could be like what car guys do when the wife wants them to sell the project car, mis-spell everything hoping that no one finds the ad so they can say that no one wanted to buy it.

johnboy

Mar 26, 2020, 2:36:09 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
C/L ad copy taken from Clementine.com . Someone has no idea what they have, question is how did they come by it...John

Eric G@rs

Mar 26, 2020, 2:36:09 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like clementine bicycle works is a real company. The seller likely doesn’t know what they’ve got, stolen or otherwise.

kim young

Mar 26, 2020, 2:36:16 PM3/26/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Good grief.
They even bought a url and made a site.
I think the poor bike is being held hostage.

Cyclofiend Jim

Mar 26, 2020, 2:42:45 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah... that's an odd one.
If you click through the site, their twitter link is dead. Nuthin' on the FB.
The company url whois says it was last updated in January of this year. It's a pretty roundabout scam if it is one.
Company url shows an...ahem... VERY different bias towards frame materials and fit.

The internet can be a very strange place.

- J

Joe Bernard

Mar 26, 2020, 2:55:54 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think estate sale is likely. That's a 4-ish-year-old bike now, and quite possibly was purchased by an older person looking for a step-thru at the time.

BRETT ROBINSON

Mar 26, 2020, 3:02:43 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone in Sactown want to pick this up and ship it to me?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joe Bernard

Mar 26, 2020, 4:40:57 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
SOLD! Not to me, my driving adventure to Sac has been called off. And I saved $700! 😂

Joe Bernard

Mar 27, 2020, 12:31:36 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's back. Now in Santa Cruz with a rack and bag added at double the price 🤷

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/d/santa-cruz-rivendell-bicycle-works/7099658154.html

David B

Mar 27, 2020, 1:46:40 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Guessing someone got it at $700 and is flipping it.

Joe Bernard

Mar 27, 2020, 1:53:28 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope this person who also owns an Atlantis and clearly knows what they bought is willing to budge a LOT off that price. Not to me, I don't need it, but someone who could have paid $700 and enjoyed a nice bike to ride.

BRETT ROBINSON

Mar 27, 2020, 3:34:40 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, pretty lame...

Clayton.sf

Mar 27, 2020, 3:58:32 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or maybe they are currently out of work and this is a way to feed their family for a few more days.
Don't know the seller, but have a few friends struggling right now or soon and I would be the last to judge them for a move like this.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA
Message has been deleted

Collin A

Mar 27, 2020, 5:43:51 PM3/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I missed out on the original ad (bummer), but this new clem seems like a fine bicycle.

Thanks Clayton for helping keep things in perspective.

From my Porch Office,
Collin in Sacramento
Message has been deleted