Good wishes for those on list affected by CA wildfires

Patrick Moore

Aug 21, 2020, 7:48:33 PM8/21/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I spent ~5 years on SoCal -- Calabasas/Malibu and Santa Paula/Ojai and Pasadena and Atherton (girlfriend) way back in the '70s and early '80s, college and hanging around afterward. I recall yearly wildfires and the little everyday earthquakes; but nothing like the last few years, which have been rather apocalyptic.

I just read on the CR list that a well-known builder lost his property.

Is Walnut Creek affected?

I hope all living there and reading this are safe.

Here in high desert ABQ, NM the sun has long since burned off most fire fuel, but I live in the little green belt -- bosque -- adjacent to the Rio Grand; the summer before I bought my house, there was a bosque fire, after which the City went in and cleaned out the thickets of imported willows and other aliens so we've not had one since. But I don't use a charcoal grill.

Patrick Moore

Philip Williamson

Aug 21, 2020, 8:55:54 PM8/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Patrick. As my friend at Tilted Shed Ciderworks said on Monday, “Here we go again.”
Looks like the roads I rode last weekend are now either evacuated or burned out. Dozens of acquaintances are evacuated, and the smoke and heat are oppressive. The wind just picked up, and we may have more dry lightning on Sunday.

Waking up in a sleeping bag by the ocean to the End Times Thunder and Lighting Show was pretty intense. “Oh this will go down in the oral histories.”

Philip
Global Warming, CA

Joe Bernard

Aug 21, 2020, 9:13:08 PM8/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mitch Pryor was MAP Bicycles in Paradise, CA., he lost everything in the Camp Fire two years ago.

Joel

Aug 21, 2020, 11:02:34 PM8/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Patrick, I bet Walnut Creek is getting the smoke, my daughter in Berkeley and friends in the Oakland Hills are, my buddy told me his car was full of ash.

Good luck to all.

Patrick Moore

Aug 22, 2020, 2:48:17 PM8/22/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Wow. Again, best wishes and a prayer.

I laughed at your signature.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Aug 22, 2020, 4:56:40 PM8/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, CA Friends, you’re on my mind every day. Our air is hazy all the way in Vegas, so I can’t imagine what it’s like for our Californian friends. Are you out there riding in the smoke and ash-filled air? Staying in? Anyone having to evacuate?

2020...the hits just keep coming.

I’m so sorry, and I hope you’re safe. ❤️

Litho

Aug 22, 2020, 5:42:59 PM8/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
760AA749-FF11-400B-A58A-7FD2E8A24037.jpegThe air quality is really bad.  I’m in Napa and it’s far too thick with smoke outside to ride.  I can’t believe we are going through this again. It’s pretty bad and a lot of people have been displaced. My home town near St Helena has been evacuated for three days now and the fire just keeps going. Over 300,000 acres. The scale of this is hard to convey and it’s going to be burning for some time to come.

This was the day it really took off and it became clear how bad it was going to get. This was Tuesday on the last ride I was able to take before the smoke blanketed everything.

Joe Bernard

Aug 22, 2020, 6:55:06 PM8/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's definitely not awesome. I'm in Novato, Marin County, and at 4pm Saturday 8/22/20 it's freakin` dark out there! The fun really begins tomorrow morning with a 5-hour dry lightning warning. Yayyy!!! 🕺💃

Joel Stern

Aug 22, 2020, 6:59:26 PM8/22/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Stay safe Joe.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5754d5b8-21e5-4fc0-af83-7d9d51873b3dn%40googlegroups.com.

--
~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Aug 22, 2020, 7:24:31 PM8/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a website that can convey the extent of the wildfires. Remember that the areas in darker red are burning, and the areas in lighter red (orange?) are under an evacuation order (meaning residents need to pack up and leave).

Even in Silicon Valley, the air quality is bad enough that friends with asthma are avoiding any outdoor activities in fear of exacerbation. Even indoors, my eyes are beginning to water a bit, which reminded me of when I flew into LA in the mid-90s, saw the thick brown layer of smog blanketing the region, and then felt it in my eyes.

Robert Tilley

Aug 23, 2020, 2:46:25 PM8/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's not good up North. We typically get worse down here in the South in October when the dry Santa Ana winds start to blow in. It's been a hot summer so far so I'm not looking forward to those winds. I'll be clearing out some brush around the house soon as a preventative measure.

Good luck to those currently affected!

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device

Patrick Moore

Aug 23, 2020, 3:08:20 PM8/23/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
SoCal has had respiratory-system-threatening atmospherics for decades and decades. The year after college and before grad school I looked around for some job and (silly me!) chose 7th/8th grade teacher at St. Philip's Catholic school in Pasadena. I recall days when the smog was so diabolic that the 101 fwy bridge about 160 metres (Google maps) from the parish grounds was invisible. Orangey-browny obscuration that made your eyes water.

Back then I ran, and being too lazy to get up at 5 am to do it, I did it in the afternoons. I ran on one such hard-smog day -- Pasdena Community College track across street -- and for days afterward I had the equivalent of a modestly severe respiratory infection.

I do recall the rather wonderful view of flying into LA in the morning back in the '70s and seeing the majestic vision of early morning sunlight on the dense, opaque cloud wholly obscuring the city. What an effing monstrosity! Bad in '70s and '90s; better now, smoke aside?

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA <benzo...@gmail.com> wrote:
....which reminded me of when I flew into LA in the mid-90s, saw the thick brown layer of smog blanketing the region, and then felt it in my eyes.

Robert Tilley

Aug 23, 2020, 3:34:42 PM8/23/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Air quality improved significantly since the 70's.  San Diego was never that bad but I recall trips through LA and the air quality was horrible. We did have some days here where we had to cancel PE due to smog but it was rare.

Sent: August 23, 2020 12:08 PM

John Phillips

Aug 23, 2020, 5:38:36 PM8/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
    Living in the middle of all this smoke, I've been monitoring our air quality on PurpleAir's website. The amount of information available through PurpleAir depends upon the density of people who have purchased & installed their sensors, but people have installed their sensors worldwide, and you can monitor air quality, humidity & temperature. I noticed SF Bay Area news stations are now using the PurpleAir maps in their news casts.

John

Joe Bernard

Aug 23, 2020, 7:14:01 PM8/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, it was bad growing up in Long Beach, CA. in the '70s. The smoky air I'm looking at right now was every day then..your throat hurt all the time and the horizon was brown. It's much better now and may actually stay that way if we get this sociopath out of office soon.

Joel Stern

Aug 23, 2020, 7:27:35 PM8/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So it is better?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/d2c8efb6-1dc9-4d61-967f-2b04d146842cn%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Bernard

Aug 23, 2020, 8:06:11 PM8/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Much. It was already significantly improved by the time I moved north in '88, and much more when I've visited since. Emissions controls on cars and factories did SoCal a world of good.

Kevin D norcal

Aug 23, 2020, 10:31:16 PM8/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Radavist article re: Chuck Teixeira - A Living Legend of Cycling Has Lost his Home and Workshop: Let’s Give Him a Hand

Ash

Aug 24, 2020, 12:05:45 PM8/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

The smoke situation in South Bay Area keeps changing between bad and very bad.

These pictures are from a trail I frequent.  Before the fire vs yesterday.

My heart goes out to folks with respiratory issues and those who live near the mountains.  It is a very very scary situation.
IMG_3913.JPG

MoVelo

Aug 25, 2020, 10:43:10 AM8/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The sunrises and sunsets have been fantastic here in flyover territory. Thanks.
Message has been deleted

SurlyProf

Aug 26, 2020, 8:06:37 AM8/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Firefighters have been getting a break in the weather and things seem to be improving.    We just received notice that the evacuation zone was reduced and is moving away from us.  Nice to see some green show up on that map.  Until today's notice we were about a mile and a half from Cal Fire's evacuation zone for the Del Puerto (LCU Complex?) fires that have been burning in the east and south bay areas (over 350,000 acres!).  Our bags have been packed and by the front door all weekend.  It has been stressful since this is the closest we've ever come to being evacuated for wildfires.  I really feel for those who have actually had to leave their homes.  As Ash showed, the air's been awful for about a week or more now!  Our first day of classes were canceled even though we are teaching on Zoom.  The air was too unhealthy and too many people have been evacuated.  A colleague has been teaching her class from her car in a Whole Foods parking lot just for the WiFi.  Last night the moon was less orange and we could see stars in the sky again.  Hopefully, that bodes well for all-day Zoom teaching today.  Between teaching on Zoom and the smoke, our throats have been raw by the end of the day.

Got out for a ride on Friday.  Took the COVID mask off for a while because no one was around.  I ended up putting it back on because of the smoke made my lungs burn.  Guess the mask wearing is paying off in multiple ways the past week or so.

Our best wishes go out to those who have had to evacuate.

John
Niles, CA (southeast of Global Warming, CA)

Joe Bernard

Aug 26, 2020, 1:42:17 PM8/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The air is just miserable here in Novato with an AQI of 155. Yesterday we were getting blowing smoke that made it seem like something was on fire just down the street, but it was the wind from Point Reyes.

I can't emphasize enough that you guys can't be out in this. I've seen several reports around the onlines of people trying to ride or run and this is just not a good plan, we all need to be inside with windows closed as much as possible. Listen to your pal Joe!

Eric Norris

Aug 26, 2020, 2:48:34 PM8/26/20
to RBW
Joe:

I’ve got two browser tabs open with air quality information for the Sacramento area. We’re currently in the Moderate range, which is the best I’ve seen for a few days.

This brings back memories of life in Southern California, where I would need to check the AQI reading during warm weather. When I moved up here to NorCal, the air quality was better, but I found myself checking the weather radar much more often.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Patrick Moore

Aug 26, 2020, 4:14:39 PM8/26/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I cut short a ride yesterday because the air felt smokey and affected my sinuses and eyes, even tho' the official particle report was "moderate". The air had been smokey for a couple of days with a "warning" in force until mid-day yesterday. Today was fine.

Fire near Santa Fe, and smoke from Phoenix; dammit, Phoenix, keep your smoke to yourselves.

The local "news" reported a local "be ready to evacuate" order, though intended only "in general." We're certainly dry, and I live next door to the bosque, which they are patrolling by helicopter, but no fire seems imminent, thank God.

Again, good luck to those in California Warming.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
The air is just miserable here in Novato with an AQI of 155. Yesterday we were getting blowing smoke that made it seem like something was on fire just down the street, but it was the wind from Point Reyes.

I can't emphasize enough that you guys can't be out in this. I've seen several reports around the onlines of people trying to ride or run and this is just not a good plan, we all need to be inside with windows closed as much as possible. Listen to your pal Joe!

Bill Gibson

Aug 26, 2020, 9:36:25 PM8/26/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
All week the smoke from California has made the sun copper and the sky pastel orange all day. Sending hope and rain your way. From Arizona.

MoVelo

Aug 27, 2020, 10:14:42 AM8/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings to those who have had to suffer thru the smokey haze of these wildfires. I am sending my rain dance wishes to you all. In the meantime wear your masks.

Cyclofiend Jim

Aug 27, 2020, 11:29:01 AM8/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Patrick and others. This has been a tough week. Air Quality has mostly been good in our neck of the woods, but drops in the evening as the wind shifts here north of SF and the smoke starts to lay into our area. We've seen >200 a few times via Purple Air, and there's not much to do but hang inside and keep everything closed. I've had a sore throat all week.

A friend texted me images from his place near the LNU Complex fire. He had been lost everything but the stuff he had in his truck.

I used to really like late summer and early fall, but now, it's a definite time of stress.

Be safe everyone.

- Jim

Patrick Moore

Aug 27, 2020, 11:42:02 AM8/27/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We’ll gladly accept your rain.

Patrick Moore
iPhone

On Aug 27, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Cyclofiend Jim <cyclo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

George Schick

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Sep 9, 2020, 2:34:25 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello All, I’ve been seeing the photos that Rivendell has been posting of the land during the fires and the best word to describe it was Will’s...which was “hellscape.”

And it’s not just CA on fire, but now several states in the West. It’s all a lot to take. How is everyone? Are you guys all safe out there? How’s your breathing? What about your homes?

Gosh, I’m just so sorry. Let us know how you’re doing.
Leah

Eric Norris

Sep 9, 2020, 2:45:55 PM9/9/20
to RBW
Moderate air quality here in Carmichael/Sacramento right now, but pollution levels have been all over the place recently. Reminds me of Stage 2 smog alert days growing up in Southern California. Everything here was sepia colored yesterday.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Matthew Williams

Sep 9, 2020, 2:54:28 PM9/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Leah.

Here's what things looked like in Berkeley, around 8:30 this morning:

kim young

Sep 9, 2020, 3:04:23 PM9/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I feel that Leah. 💕💕💕
It’s been heartbreaking.
I hope this cooler weather will help-  those dear firefighters must be so exhausted.

Joe Bunik

Sep 9, 2020, 3:05:59 PM9/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beyond the pandemic, failure politics, economic downturn, schools
starting up virtually, devastating fires, and ongoing brutality
against black and brown people -- now we have environmental
devastation. I'm having an incredibly hard time seeing light at the
end of this tunnel.

We cannot simply just ride the bikes to escape any longer; all of the
best places are now under mandatory closure -- or have already burned
over. The evacuation maps look like cue sheets for all my favorite
places in the west.

We must begin making amends now, before a whole world is lost to
climate disaster.

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

On 9/9/20, Matthew Williams <matthewwil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Leah.
>
> Here's what things looked like in Berkeley, around 8:30 this morning:
>

> On Sep 9, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!
> <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All, I’ve been seeing the photos that Rivendell has been posting of
>> the land during the fires and the best word to describe it was
>> Will’s...which was “hellscape.”
>>
>> And it’s not just CA on fire, but now several states in the West. It’s all
>> a lot to take. How is everyone? Are you guys all safe out there? How’s
>> your breathing? What about your homes?
>>
>> Gosh, I’m just so sorry. Let us know how you’re doing.
>> Leah
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/07c0fc73-1857-4b43-b8ea-25a57dbfecb3o%40googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5EA719A4-02C4-4267-A2E3-81411DEB8F12%40gmail.com.

ted

Sep 9, 2020, 3:40:48 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
And keep in mind sunrise was at quarter to 7 this morning.
Twenty miles down the IHT from RBW WHQ at 12:30 it is still dim as a typical dawn but with a very odd yellow color cast.
At least the AQI at ground level is only mid moderate.

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 11:54:28 AM UTC-7, Matthew Williams wrote:
Thank you, Leah.

Here's what things looked like in Berkeley, around 8:30 this morning:

On Sep 9, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All, I’ve been seeing the photos that Rivendell has been posting of the land during the fires and the best word to describe it was Will’s...which was “hellscape.”

And it’s not just CA on fire, but now several states in the West. It’s all a lot to take. How is everyone? Are you guys all safe out there? How’s your breathing? What about your homes?

Gosh, I’m just so sorry. Let us know how you’re doing.
Leah

Mike Godwin

Sep 9, 2020, 3:47:35 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matthew Williams photos of Berkeley looks like here in San Luis Obispo all day so far. No observable sun disk. Closest fire is Dolan fire, mid Big Sur coastline. Fire has gone over the ridgeline and headed for Fort Hunter Liggett. Ash falling past two days. Very disheartening.

Mike Godwin, stay safe folks  SLO CA
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/07c0fc73-1857-4b43-b8ea-25a57dbfecb3o%40googlegroups.com.

Joel Stern

Sep 9, 2020, 4:18:28 PM9/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My daughter was lucky to be able to escape to her mother’s place in Ashland.  I feel for you people, not a good situation.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/5EA719A4-02C4-4267-A2E3-81411DEB8F12%40gmail.com.

--
~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.
~~Thank you~~

ted

Sep 9, 2020, 4:34:37 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope your daughter went to south Ashland. Almeda Drive fire burning up the 5 from the north side of Ashland, towards Medford.

Joe Bernard

Sep 9, 2020, 4:42:56 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"And it’s not just CA on fire, but now several states in the West. It’s all a lot to take. How is everyone? Are you guys all safe out there? How’s your breathing? What about your homes?

Gosh, I’m just so sorry. Let us know how you’re doing.
Leah"

A year ago I marveled at the crazy climate Leah lives and rides in near Vegas. Two days ago it was 113° in lovely Marin County, CA. Today at 1:30pm the sky is dark and I have the lights on in my apartment. Vegas is looking pretty good right now...

Joe Bernard

Leah Peterson

Sep 9, 2020, 5:41:19 PM9/9/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kim, the firefighters - yes, I can’t even imagine. My brother was a Hotshot and you’d never believe the stories he has to tell. The working conditions are just unreal. God be with them.

Joe - Vegas is harsh but not so many natural disasters here. And really, most of the year the weather is lovely for riding, though the terrain is tough. If you want to give up the Golden State and come to the Silver State I’ll tell you where all my top secret trails are. I got spoiled when I (briefly) lived in California -  it’s hard to forego California’s finery... I have a feeling you’ll weather these fires and stay put.

Those photos of Berkeley don’t even look real.

What is it like to go outside? Can you feel the heat from the fires? Is it hard to breathe or can’t you discern a difference?

Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 9, 2020, at 1:43 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

"And it’s not just CA on fire, but now several states in the West. It’s all a lot to take. How is everyone? Are you guys all safe out there? How’s your breathing? What about your homes?
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/2d9175ff-c167-443d-91c2-1652a5a16043n%40googlegroups.com.

Jan O.

Sep 9, 2020, 5:57:01 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
San Francisco at 1 p.m today. The air quality is surprisingly ok and temperatures in the mid 60s.

fire.jpg

Jan

San Francisco, CA

ted

Sep 9, 2020, 6:04:25 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Can you feel the heat from the fires? "

Actually its relatively cool today, I think because the smoke is reflecting the sun thereby neutralizing that big radiant heat lamp in the sky.
If you are close enough to feel the heat you should have already left.

Joe Bernard

Sep 9, 2020, 6:16:32 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
66° in Marin, I can't really feel the smoke in my throat but the smell is strong and I sound raspy. The last part I didn't realize 'til I sent a couple voice texts yesterday and discovered I sound like Burgess Meredith in Rocky!

Joe Bernard

Sep 9, 2020, 6:19:17 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
...and it looks like 8:00 at night out there.
20200909_150913.jpg

Ash

Sep 9, 2020, 7:51:34 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Reporting from South Bay Area, with some genuine Riv content :)

Picture taken at around 3pm. No, I have not used any 80s or retro filter.  I also see a layer of ash (hello) on the cars.

P1030622.jpeg

tuolumne bikes

Sep 9, 2020, 7:55:55 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Bear Fire is to the north and the Creek Fire is to the south. Neither is close enough to be a concern for our safety. They shut off our power around midnight on Monday. We have a generator so we can keep the well going and power most of the house, but it can't run the AC. The smoke is smelly with gray haze visible over the RV Park next door. Last night we had to decide between cooler air and cleaner air, and we opened the windows. The smoke usually gets worse overnight as the cool air settles, and we had a nasty night and morning. Power just came back on at 3:00 and AC is running with a new filter. Lungs feel exactly like LA smog from the 70s. I rode a dozen or so figure eights in the driveway just because I could.

USFS has deemed that outdoors is closed. Ask me how I feel after another week.

Carl

Peter Adler

Sep 9, 2020, 8:39:51 PM9/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
They don't look any realer when you're standing right in them. I fell asleep at about 4AM last night and woke up at about 9. It took a few minutes to figure out whether it was daytime; the light coming through the windowshaded east-facing in my bedroom weren't any brighter than they'd been when I went to sleep.

KQED-FM, the big local NPR affiliate in San Francisco, has been saying all day that the orange skies on the bayfront are not from the southern lightning complex fires (near Santa Cruz and just east of Silicon Valley) or the northern lightning complex fire (Napa, Sonoma and neighboring counties surrounding Lake Berryessa), the ones that have been producing the caustic air we've been breathing for the last few weeks. The smoke causing the filtered orange light is much higher in the atmosphere, from the fire in Southern Oregon; it's high up enough that the particles are filtering out blue light, and creating the orange hue. Which is totally real, and makes you think somebody transported you to Mars while you slept. Fortunately, the smoke making the sky orange don't appear to be adding to the breathable particulates at street level; the air today isn't any nastier to breathe than yesterday's not-orange air was.

Unless you're right near the fires, the heat is caused by convection currents generated by the fires; they get the smoke up into the atmosphere at a level that traps the radiated heat in, and the temps go up everywhere. The Bay Area is like a set of bowls, with hills all around one; whatever gets inside one bowl gets everywhere inside the bowl. Everyone along the bayshore is subjected to the same conditions, unless a strong ocean wind blows the gunk off the areas surrounding the mouth of the Bay: north side of San Francisco, Sausalito (Marin County), West Berkeley/Albany (East Bay).

I was out in Walnut Creek at a doctor's office yesterday, on Ygnacio Valley Road, the big high-speed drag immediately south of RBWHQ and the worst street I know of for bike riding, bad enough that I ride on the sidewalk (as signage permits you to do, recognizing that street traffic runs at 60MPH and nobody in WC walks anyway). It was over 100 and the air was like breathing a scouring pad, but the sky was smog grey - not orange, which is today's new development.

It's a lot cooler today, but the troubles will persist until the rain starts, or until we get several days of big winds through the Golden Gate.

Don't really feel like riding today.

Peter 'enough, already" Adler
West Berkeley, CA

Mike Godwin

Sep 10, 2020, 10:42:19 PM9/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Same here on the central coast. High level smoke and some fog. I did not see the sun until 11 am. Gray but shadows have a pale orange cast. Check out NOAA local weather, then the satellite images. Daytime photos showed smoke covering much of the west coast from Oregon to Mexico, out 100 + miles into the ocean. This is GEOS Band 7 0230 UTC (1930 PDT). The black spots are fire centers.

Mike SLO CA

Hetchins52

Sep 11, 2020, 2:47:52 AM9/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Today, Thursday, temps in Berkeley continued to be in the 60s. Sky not so yellow/orange but dim and murky.
Bad part is that the Air Quality Index started out "Unhealthy" (particulates -- PM2.5 -- at 150 to 195) in the early AM and by 5:00 this evening had climbed into the "Very Unhealthy" range for PM2.5 of 215 to 235. Took the dog for a short walk. Very few people about. Fairly quickly felt that it was hard to walk but no coughing like yesterday AM (after we had opened the windows Tuesday night for cool air).
Ash has continued to fall, as if snowing very lightly at times.

David Lipsky
Berkeley

Peter Adler

Sep 11, 2020, 3:37:40 AM9/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unanticipated fast round trip from University/San Pablo to the Oakland Convention Center this afternoon - about 11 miles RT, no climbing. In addition to the again-hairy traffic (which is getting back up to pre-COVID levels), the cold and the humidity has brought a lot of yesterday's high atmospheric particulates down to street level. My lungs still hurt.

Peter [cough cough] Adler
Berkeley, CA