Zero-rise Albatross Bar?

Kieran J

Oct 28, 2022, 1:45:41 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm looking for a handlebar that's very much like the Alba bars but flat/no rise. Essentially an Alba-size porteur.

Anyone have any suggestions? The Choco bars are close but not quite flat.

KJ

Joe Mullins

Oct 28, 2022, 1:59:46 PM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Also the Choco’s don’t (can’t remember what it’s called) swoop forward out in front of the stem like the albatross. Maybe mustache bars?

Joe in Los Angeles

On Oct 28, 2022, at 10:45 AM, Kieran J <kjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm looking for a handlebar that's very much like the Alba bars but flat/no rise. Essentially an Alba-size porteur.

Anyone have any suggestions? The Choco bars are close but not quite flat.

KJ

Joe Mullins

Oct 28, 2022, 2:02:12 PM10/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I meant Albastache…

On Oct 28, 2022, at 10:59 AM, Joe Mullins <jmlmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also the Choco’s don’t (can’t remember what it’s called) swoop forward out in front of the stem like the albatross. Maybe mustache bars?

Kieran J

Oct 28, 2022, 2:12:33 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've tried the Albastache before - it's a very different bar with a lot of forward sweep and less backsweep. They also only accept road levers.

Johnny Alien

Oct 28, 2022, 2:16:01 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't think there will be anything much closer to a zero rise albatross then the albastache. These brake levers work on road bars.

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Oct 28, 2022, 2:36:37 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought the Surly Open Bar came in both a zero rise variant and a rise/drop variant.  I know it's not the same shape as the Albatross but maybe close enough if the zero rise is the bigger priority.

Garth

Oct 28, 2022, 3:36:07 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're better off having one custom made by Doombars as that way it's just as as you specify it.

Kieran J

Oct 28, 2022, 4:33:48 PM10/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, these could work. I wish they came in silver without the logos - not Surly's MO, I suppose.
I could always invert the Albas I already have, but the aesthetics would drive me nuts :-P

KJ

arthur

Nov 1, 2022, 3:20:40 AM11/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Kieran:

You might try VO Porteur bars...not as much backsweep as either Riv Alba bars, but really, really comfortable (both road and mtb versions). They're narrower, however. I like them much better than the Albas.

AS

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Nov 1, 2022, 8:45:56 AM11/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Soma Three Speed bar #2 is fantastic, and while not flat, it’s pretty low profile.
-Kai

Kieran J

Nov 2, 2022, 2:04:02 PM11/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Honestly, I think the Choco bars are the closest thing out there. Not much else comes close.

KJ

J S

Nov 2, 2022, 9:24:43 PM11/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kieran, I switched from Albatross to Choco.  Love the Choco bars, much more room for your hands and you can reverse them so they go slightly down vs. up.  It is a very mild rise.

David Person

Nov 3, 2022, 12:18:32 PM11/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
What I like about mounting the Choco bars reversed is it puts my wrists in a more neutral position when gripped where I ride most often, over or just ahead of the brake levers.

DSCF0067 copy.jpegDSCF0068 copy.jpeg

Kieran J

Nov 3, 2022, 12:53:15 PM11/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That grip job looks oh-so-comfy :-P

David Person

Nov 3, 2022, 1:59:25 PM11/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It this. The only issue I have with it is they fold each piece in half for packaging and shipping and the foam never returns to normal where it was folded.  Thankfully, I don't use one continuous piece on each side of the bar, but cut smaller sections that avoid the fold.

Russell Duncan

Nov 12, 2022, 3:24:22 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Personally, I use the Ahearne+Map bar on my ol’ Raleigh 3-speed and like it; however, it does have a 25 mm rise.

Russell Duncan
Leverett, MA USA

Kieran J

Nov 12, 2022, 8:43:19 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used to roll on that bar (on a different bike with a shorter TT); it currently resides on my wife's commuter. It's also a good one, but not what I need.

KJ