Bike with Riv-like geometry for kids - gravel

Jared Volpe

Sep 28, 2019, 8:38:33 PM9/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey all,

I’m looking for a new bike for our daughter. Truth told most of our miles are around the city but we take to gravel now and again. She doesn’t want a mountain bike. Something step through and more upright like a Clem or a Chev are interesting but I don’t want to spend that much because she’ll grow out of it.

She is tall for her age and like me, has long legs. She is 60” and (yes we measured it) her PBH is 30”.

Any suggestions?

Jack K

Sep 29, 2019, 12:40:48 AM9/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jared, so you're looking for a mass-produced complete bike or something perhaps less ready to go?

-Jack K.

Jared Volpe

Sep 29, 2019, 2:06:17 AM9/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ideally ready to go but I’m open to suggestions.

Joe Bernard

Sep 29, 2019, 5:01:48 AM9/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brooklyn Bicycle has some nice step-throughs at reasonable prices. I don't know the current situation or how much he was involved in the designs, but Grant was a consultant for them when the company started.

https://www.brooklynbicycleco.com/

Or just get a small Clem L or Chev used and and sell it later. There's a 50cm Cheviot on Ebay right now.

Ed Carolipio

Sep 29, 2019, 5:33:53 PM9/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
For brand new, another vote for a Brooklyn. I got a Clem L for the wife but it was still too big for her, so I got her the Willow 3 instead. Geometry and ride are very Riv like, though not as "sharp" so I replaced some parts to tighten up the ride. Frame's not bad though to build on, and they're one of the few manufacturers of city bikes who use cromoly, at least in the Willow. (Careful with those entry level bikes as "steel" is not synonymous with cromoly.)

Still, if she fits a Riv, I'm with Joe and check out the used market. It may seem pricey but depreciation on a well kept step thru is not bad and I'm sure the net "loss" of owning it would be worth the expense. Also, step thrus have a wide PBH range for fit: that 50cm Cheviot in theory could tolerate her growing another 5" or so.

--Ed C.

Brian Campbell

Sep 30, 2019, 2:06:10 PM9/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Find a vintage Trek road (4XX, 5XX or 6XX series to keep the price down) bike in a smaller size. I set one up for my son. Ran 32mm tires with fenders and upright bars. Weighed about 26lbs and with 7 speed index thumb shifters, it was super simple for him to get the hang of. When he out grew it, I sold the frame for the same as what I paid for it and transferred the parts other other bikes.

REC (Roberta)

Sep 30, 2019, 3:01:32 PM9/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jared,

I looked for a mixte and it came down to Brooklyn that Joe Bernard recommended,  and Handsome Cycles. I think Linus and Public also makes them.

I liked the Brooklyn because was a REAL step thru (not a trip thru, as in raise your foot enough when you step thru or else you'll trip). The Handsome She Devil is a lighter bike but a "trip thru."    Handsome She-Devil is more expensive  than the Brooklyn, but if you want to build it up, you can buy frame only.  You also can get it painted any color she'd like if she doesn't like their colors.  The Brooklyn bikes already come in some very cool colors.

Roberta

Jared Volpe

Oct 1, 2019, 7:50:39 PM10/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all! I think we are going to settle on a Brooklyn...