Chambray shirt deal alert

Dan McNamara

Nov 14, 2020, 10:48:26 AM11/14/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Edgevale has their chambray shirt from last year on close out for $34. I have been really happy with this shirt. The fabric is not pre-shrunk but a good wash and dry gets it to a perfect Riv fit - not fitted with room to move. At $89 they were a good deal. At $34 it is a crazy good deal.

Sewn in the US from Japanese fabric.

Enjoy!

Dan

San Rafael CA

Julian Westerhout

Nov 14, 2020, 1:49:53 PM11/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dan,

Thanks for the tip -- it looks like they've got several other nice shirts and some good looking shorts on clearance as well. USA made, and free shipping, too. I'll be giving them a try.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Nov 18, 2020, 10:43:52 AM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Dan, is the sizing correct? Their small has a chest size of 42.25", which is 21" pit-to-pit and definitely a little large for a small. Is that the "Riv fit" you're talking about?

velomann

Nov 18, 2020, 10:16:44 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"...is the sizing correct? Their small has a chest size of 42.25", which is 21" pit-to-pit and definitely a little large for a small. Is that the "Riv fit" you're talking about?"

The site says the fabric is NOT pre-shrunk. Buy the size you normally wear, wash it, and it should fit like normal after first wash and dry.

Mike "Fan of Levis 501 shrink-to-fit" Mann

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Nov 19, 2020, 12:17:42 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m not sure if the size refers to the pre-shrink or post-shrunk measurements, because if you looking around at the other items, even the ones not expected to shrink (like the polyesters), the sizes are all the same. So it’s likely the latter than the former.

I’m really just asking if the sizing is correct, because 42.25” is quite large for a size small. Maybe they’re intended to be loose, but the description also isn’t terribly helpful . I like when sites list the model’s height and weight, and the size of the clothing the model is wearing, to give a more practical and useful reference.

Paul Richardson

Nov 19, 2020, 9:18:11 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks to dan's hot tip, i've got a medium on the way that's supposed to show up today.  i'd be happy to take some more comprehensive pre-wash measurements lest ye fellow chambray wearers not be misfitted.

paul
takoma park, md.

Ashwath Akirekadu

Nov 19, 2020, 9:30:02 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got a medium on the way as well.  I have no idea what a chambray shirt is, but I do need some shirts and I know that any info that pops up in this group is solidly reliable!!

Tom Wyland

Nov 19, 2020, 9:45:57 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I purchased one of the "cloud" shirts.  They have a 10% new customer discount if you sign up for emails.  So it was only $30.

Paul Clifton

Nov 19, 2020, 11:51:23 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Benz,
Can you link to where you found those measurements? I'm almost always between sizes, but I can find them on their site or on Google.

Thanks for the tip Dan. These look like great shirts, just in time for new shirt season!

Paul in AR

Hetchins52

Nov 19, 2020, 12:39:20 PM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul — There’s an itty, bitty graphic image of a ruler that links to the sizing chart for each shirt. The chambray “Small” is about ¾” larger than the other small shirts. Perhaps because it shrinks in laundering and the others are pre-shrunk fabric?
I ordered a Small Railroad short sleeve. Ships from Texas.

David Lipsky in Berkeley, CA

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Nov 19, 2020, 2:58:36 PM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Be aware that at least on my browser, the itty bitty ruler icon that David talked about goes away once you start clicking on the other sizes. If that happens, just reload the page and don't touch the size icons. I'm using Safari (not exactly a rare browser at 13% or so market share) so I think it's just shoddy configuration on their part.

To loop back to my question, I measured a few shirts and they're all around 20" wide, buttoned, and that's equivalent to about 40" circumference/chest. I don't think I'm a particularly small fella (5'10"/160), so that's why I asked for a confirmation from those who actually have these shirts, especially as they are "Final Sale".

Dan McNamara

Nov 19, 2020, 10:05:58 PM11/19/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a few Edgevale shirts and pants and have found the fit to be loose but not baggy. Hopefully this batch holds to that.

My Riv fit comment was based on the old RBW shirts  - I would be a medium in those. As I have a couple of shirts on the way I hope that fit will hold up on these. If they run big that is much better than running small.

Admittedly I did not check the size chart.

Dan

San Rafael, CA

On Nov 19, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA <benzo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Be aware that at least on my browser, the itty bitty ruler icon that David talked about goes away once you start clicking on the other sizes. If that happens, just reload the page and don't touch the size icons. I'm using Safari (not exactly a rare browser at 13% or so market share) so I think it's just shoddy configuration on their part.

Paul Clifton

Nov 19, 2020, 11:27:19 PM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Dave and Benz. I found it. Tricky!
New shirts are on the way.

diekaiser

Nov 20, 2020, 1:14:17 PM11/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So I just got my medium yesterday. It fits like a large so hopefully it shrinks down. I normally wear in between a small and medium so it's always a dice roll for me.

The Snag

Nov 20, 2020, 7:55:31 PM11/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just got my large today and I'm not convinced that it's going to shrink down enough for me. If someone had a medium that doesn't fit I might be interested. And if you're looking for a large.....

Paul Richardson

Nov 20, 2020, 9:14:44 PM11/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
if this is a medium, it's the largest medium of all time.  i measure 22" pit-to-pit and 31" from the collar to the bottom of the shirt (measured on the back).  we'll see what a wash and dry does but man i shoulda gone with the small.  sleeves are 21" pit-to-cuff.  fabric seems real nice.

paul
takoma park, md.

Ray Evans

Nov 20, 2020, 10:23:44 PM11/20/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Folks, the oversized stock medium shrinks down to a perfect medium. Just like the website says. No worries, really nice shirt. This is the way we used to roll in the old days, shrink to fit.

The Snag

Nov 21, 2020, 1:10:43 PM11/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, large shrinks down to a standard large. Stoked, it's a nice shirt!

Clayton Stahnke

Dec 1, 2020, 2:11:33 AM12/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just wanted to give kudos Dan for introducing Edgevale to my life. I ordered one of their flannels along with the chambray shirts and it is one of the nicest, most-perfect-fitting shirts I have purchased in a long time! Immediately ordered a second one with their Black Friday discount.

-Clayton

Berkeleyan

Dec 8, 2020, 7:20:03 PM12/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My loss your gain! I ordered a Large Elwell Chambray shirt, and it's too snug, unwashed. I also bought a pair of Yonder Shorts, Sea Green, size 36, which are too snug. Edgevale won't do an exchange (even offered to pay a restocking charge) so I'm offering both here for $25 each. They really are well-constructed, MUSA, and I'll be ordering the larger sizes in a few minutes.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Joe Bunik

Dec 8, 2020, 8:01:25 PM12/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew
I'll grab the shirt
Joe Bunik
WC CA
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/671d39e4-98b1-4fb4-8691-7cf93bd1ac5an%40googlegroups.com.

Berkeleyan

Dec 8, 2020, 8:28:27 PM12/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The shirt has been claimed AND taken off my front porch! The shorts are still here... if I drop a lot of weight, they might fit. But not for a while. I'm glad to take measurements of the actual waist circumference, if needed.

- Andrew

Berkeleyan

Dec 9, 2020, 2:14:41 PM12/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Shorts also claimed, but for anyone curious, they are exactly 18 inches across the top, laying flat. So 36 circumference, in size 36! The cuffs are 11.5 inches across, flat, and are 20.5 inches below the waist, along the sides.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Jay P

Jan 7, 2021, 3:56:21 PM1/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought the size L shirt from Berkeleyan but it is, alas, after a wash/dry cycle too small.  These do indeed shrink a lot.   It's now on the edge between M and L but as I like things a little roomy I know that I'm not going to wear this.   If you are interested in buying ($20) and picking up at my home in Berkeley, please be in touch !

Jay P.
Berkeley, CA

J Schwartz

Jan 7, 2021, 7:06:27 PM1/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings All
Similarly I purchased a Medium and have washed and dried it thrice (without wearing it beyond trying it on)
It's still too big and not in my comfort zone.
If anyone would like an unworn but washed and dried Medium , I'd be happy to sell for 90% of what I paid including shipping
So $30.
best
JS

Harth Huffman

Jan 8, 2021, 2:41:34 PM1/8/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi JS, I'm interested.  Would you be willing to take chest and sleeve measurements?

Thanks,
Harth

J Schwartz

Jan 8, 2021, 3:27:53 PM1/8/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Pit-to-Pit : 22"
across shoulder along yoke: 16"
sleeve: 24"
I've had some interest but no sale yet....there are a couple people potentially in line however

J Schwartz

Jan 8, 2021, 4:01:23 PM1/8/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Medium shirt is sold
thanks everyone

Dave Grossman

Jan 9, 2021, 12:31:27 PM1/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought one and I think it is fantastic.  Thanks for the OP and the heads up!

Dave Grossman

Apr 3, 2021, 9:56:19 PM4/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
As I have gone down the Edgevale rabbit hole and bought a few more items, I am wondering if anyone has their cast iron pants and what they think of them.  I have some carhartt's that are designed similar but the details on the Edgevale seem great.

chocotaco

Apr 9, 2021, 11:30:01 PM4/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings,

I also bought a blue chambray Edgevale shirt in size medium when the deal alert was announced, and I have washed and dried it three times now but it remains too large for my satisfaction. Please help me clean out my closet. I would be glad to sell for $30 including USPS Priority Mail shipping to the US.

Thanks,

James Black
Los Angeles, Calif.

John Rinker