Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

DHans

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 16:47:3623/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
This is slightly premature but I am wondering if any of you have set bicycle related goals for 2020. Mileage total? New bike? Bicycle Tour? Commuting?

My goal is to ride every day and although I don't log miles, I'd like to ride around 2,000 miles for the year (I may put a cyclometer back on my ride). I also would like to use my bike more often for for errands and coffee runs. What say you?

Doug

WETH

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 18:06:4823/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
A great topic!
My goal this year was to rider farther than last year. I achieved that by riding more than 3300 miles mostly commuting.
Goals for this year include breaking that record and fitting in a few more overnights and a multi day tour. I also have a Bantam custom in the pipeline for late 2020.
For tracking miles, I use an app called Cyclemeter, so I just need to have my phone with me , which I do anyway.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all,
Erl
Kensington, MD

Jason Fuller

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 18:22:3823/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I bought two new Rivendells this fall, so my 2020 goal is to not buy any more bikes and ride the heck out of these new ones!  :D

My mileage goal is 3600 km, which is a monthly average I had been keeping up July thru November this year. Other goals include:

 - Ride a 200km brevet (or at least go for a 200k ride)
 - go on at least two bike camping trips
 - go on at least two credit card tours (3-5 day)
 - commute by bike at least twice a week (it's 20km each way)

But more than anything, I just want to get out on the bike as often as is practical, and use the heck out of these Rivs.

Joe Bernard

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 19:40:2023/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I appreciate this topic because I really need to break out of a malaise and meet some goals next year. I don't have a particular mileage goal, I just know I want to go on more and longer rides. Also get better about my eating and lose the weight my body decided was going to be a thing after I turned 55 a couple years ago. And lastly - probably TMI but some of you have known me dang near 20 years - I'm looking to hit Feb. 20th and two years sober. Onward!

Curtis McKenzie

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 19:49:1023/12/2019
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great post.

Nothing out of the ordinary here.  Keep up the 2500 mi/year average which is earned via commuting and the pure enjoyment of riding a bicycle.

To Erl in Kensington, MD.  The Bantam is an excellent choice for a custom bicycle.  I have not ridden another bicycle since getting my 68 cm Bantam (#16) a few years back.

May we all seek what is our fulfillment.

Curtis
Cueros

DHans

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 20:10:3523/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, me too brother. 105 days and looking forward to living sober in 2020. Erl (Weth) I will use that phone app, it will be easier and I really don’t want an odometer on my bicycle. One more goal for 2020 is to buy a Clem L.
Doug

maxcr

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 20:20:0123/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
My goals are simple: get into mountain biking in the spring and summer, commute by bike more and do at least two s24o in 2020.

Max

PS maybe downsize my fleet a bit

MCT

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 20:43:1723/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Commute to work on my bike at least once per week. Ride at least a 300k by the end of the year.

WETH

não lida,
23 de dez. de 2019, 21:41:4323/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Curtis, thanks for the affirmation on the Bantam; I’m really excited!
Doug, the other nice thing about the app is you can track mileage for multiple bikes. Useful for when you buy that Clem! :)
All the best,
Erl

aeroperf

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 10:14:2424/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Do 500 miles by June.
Then bicycle the Canal du Midi from Toulouse to Sete.
Finish with at least 700 miles for the rest of the year.

I'm retired so it is all pleasure riding.
I got my 1250 miles this year, but the hills get steeper every year.

Jay Lonner

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 11:07:2924/12/2019
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Two years ago my wife, daughters, and I rode the Canal du Midi from Toulouse to Sète and I cannot recommend it. The paths are in very poor repair most of the way, and we had to stop multiple times a day to pry out mud that would jam up the wheels. My oldest daughter (17 at the time, and a veteran of several weeklong tours) lost control of her bike on a particularly slick section and fell into the canal. We have done a fair amount of touring in Europe and there are better rides to be had. If the easy gradients of cycling along a waterway is part of the appeal, I can recommend the path along the Danube starting in Passau, Germany. We ended our tour in Vienna, but the path extends to Prague and beyond. The parts that we rode were all paved and in excellent shape. My octagenarian parents accompanied us on that tour, and we actually got a mention in the Chicago Tribune on living a healthy and active life!

I'm even wearing my trusty Rivendell hat and summer gloves in that photo - those along with a MUSA chambray shirt are a mainstay of my touring wardrobe.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Clayton.sf

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 13:24:1224/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I'll play!

Goals:

Rearrange schedule to allow for 2 bike riding mornings per week.

Join the 1,000lb club (combined bench, squat, deadlift totalling 1,000lb or more).

Make more beer and cider.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

Roberta

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 20:38:1624/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Joe and Doug,

Congratulations on your achievements!  I hope 2020 is a good one for your both.

My goal is just about getting on my bike more, even for a short ride.  I find that I'm having such a good time on those short rides, that they usually last longer than expected.  Typical midweek ride:  10 miles.  Typical weekend ride 15-25 miles.

So, perhaps 4 times per week, average, 200 rides per year.  I started tonight with a 5 mile ride that ended up being 10 miles.  Yes, still short, but better than not doing it at all.

Roberta

Joe Bernard

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 20:58:0924/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta, that's a Grant mantra going back to the Bridgestone catalogues: A 10-minute ride is always a good idea. I try to remember this, and sometimes when I have no time at all to ride I'll grab the bike and do a couple laps around my condo building. Just to get outside and push the pedals and say "I'm out here on a bike!"

Joe Bernard

não lida,
24 de dez. de 2019, 20:59:3624/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
PS. I know you said 10 miles, I'm just saying no ride is too short to take, it's all riding. Also, 10 miles is a long way! 😁

j.schwartz

não lida,
25 de dez. de 2019, 06:42:4325/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations to Joe and Doug! 💪

Tim Bantham

não lida,
25 de dez. de 2019, 08:12:1925/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Great idea for a post!

Here are my cycling goals for the upcoming year and beyond.

Spend more time riding with friends. I too often ride alone.
Make this the year that I finally get a regular coffee outside meet up off the ground.
Do more off road riding. I have a new Clem that I am building as a hilliebike
Learn the art of wheel building.  I have the parts and will start this project soon.
Get involved in bicycle advocacy in my community.
Complete a week long bike tour this summer. Maybe across my state for the third time or even the GAP trail which would be my first.

Tim

Doug Hansford

não lida,
25 de dez. de 2019, 10:53:3925/12/2019
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 25, 2019, at 6:42 AM, j.schwartz <jasonas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Congratulations to Joe and Doug! 💪

Philip Williamson

não lida,
26 de dez. de 2019, 01:48:1626/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Do short brisk rides before my work from home days, and lose the ten pounds I gained back when I got the WFH option. Seven mile fixed gear rides first thing in the morning seems to work for me.
Drink less beer and cider. The other half of that equation.
Sell or ride the modern hardtail.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

masmojo

não lida,
26 de dez. de 2019, 09:44:4026/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I've built up a collection of bikes over the years; my main 2020 goal is to start trimming the herd.
I guess it's a good problem to have, but to walk into the bike room and not be able to decide which bike to ride is a bit dumbfounding. I am over capacity and there's already one 2020 bike on my radar that I will undoubtedly get, so space needs to be made. Additionally, some were bought for purely sort of Collector/esthetic value and it's a luxury I can no longer entertain. Bikes that stay need to be ridden.
Beyond that 2019 was a step down in mileage from 18' so I'd like to rebound to something more & drive less.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

não lida,
26 de dez. de 2019, 10:42:5326/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
I love the 2020 goals! I have some big ones on my radar, but here are my biking goals:

1. When the “fancy Cheviot” becomes available - if it seems like a good fit and I can get it painted in the red I’ve dreamed up - I’ll sell my Betty Foy and buy one. (And heaven help me if Rivendell ever does end up making that lovely anniversary model I so longed for; I am not above holding grudges over that bike). I’m hoping to get my first ever dyno lighting, which I am so excited about.

2. Ride and ride and ride. I may be back in the workforce in 2020, so not sure what my schedule will look like, but when I can ride, I will. I rode my 2012 Betty Foy exclusively until summer 2019, and then I ended up with a Clem L that was such a sweet deal I couldn’t refuse it. I fell in love with the Clem line of bikes after getting used to the long chainstays and step-through frame. I dithered over how to set up that blue Clem before finally settling on the details in December and now I’m going to forget all about that and JUST RIDE. It really does take time and many miles to “know” a bike, and I long for the familiarity that I had with my old Betz. And that takes MILES.

I need #2 to be measurable, so I will get a bike computer To track my miles. To that end, does anyone have a good suggestion for a bike computer for 650 b wheels? Is there one that can easily be switched between my bikes, or one that is affordable enough that I would get 2? (One for each bike.) I have an Apple Watch, so I need no other features - just the mileage. If you have a recommendation, would you PM me? I started a search and was quickly overwhelmed...

Happy New Year!!!

Benjamin L. Kelley

não lida,
26 de dez. de 2019, 10:58:4126/12/2019
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a Lezyne Mega C, and it allows you to have multiple bike profiles and has a setting for wheel circumference on each.  I'm pretty happy with it, great battery life, and doesn't have the cold start issues I was experiencing with garmin devices.

Goals for this year.  I always set a small 2000km base goal just to make sure I have something.   I did the ride every day for a year goal a couple years ago.
I think I'm going to keep it simple this year and just target a couple specific rides I want to do.
     1: I want to ride the D&R Canal Tow Path in NJ.
     2: I want to do one of these fun group rides like the Nutmeg Nor'easter.
     3: I'm currently living in NY, and will likely be moving sometime in 2020, so I want to ride in an Alley Cat race. I'll come either in last or DNF, but I still want to give it a go.
     4: Warriors Fun Ride in NYC if if happens in 2020, it they didn't have one in 2019 and I was out of town for 2018 :(     https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a22105794/warriors-fun-ride/

masmojo

não lida,
26 de dez. de 2019, 14:45:1826/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, I don't know if I'd really bother with a computer, I just use an app. On my phone!

I've used 2 Map My Ride & Ride with GPS (and of course there's Strava, which I avoided due to Fredness).

MMR, is really good for the casual rider and the basic (free) version has a rudimentary Calorie counter. Ride with GPS is popular with Gravel/adventure cyclists & is what I use now. I like it, because it allows you to set up each of your bikes and log rides on whichever one you are riding & in turn your total for the Week, Month, Year.
They both have mapping and routing functions.
Another great thing with both is being able to designate "friends" that you can share your rides with.

Pat Smith

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2019, 11:44:2727/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Cycling goals:
1) 2000+ miles. My goal this year was 1500 and I did 2000 so that shouldn't be a problem
2) Finish building my 650b all road bike. It's 80% done now and all parts are bought so again it shouldn't be a problem.
3) complete my first century ride. I did one metric century this year so I've got a long way to go.
4) continue to be a full time bike commuter. 4 years strong now so this shouldn't be a problem.

Non cycling goals:
1) get to the gym (weights) 150 times this year. Was a 2019 goal too and only made about 115.
2) bring lunch to work 2 days a week. I'm currently a 5 day a week eat out guy.
A mensagem foi excluída

Bill Schairer

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2019, 19:05:3627/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch

Build a 135mm tubular wheel for my Atlantis. Anyone have a 36h, 135mm hub they want to part with?

Bill S

Patrick Moore

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2019, 19:21:4527/12/2019
para rbw-owners-bunch
One of your goals ought to be to continue your very entertaining ride/family/bike posts. As for tracking miles, instead of many computers for many bikes, I use the free version of Cyclemeter for the iPhone (proud to announce that my iPhone 5S is still going strong, after I discovered that removing handsful of pocket lint from the charging socket allows you to -- charge the phone). I keep an Excel spreadsheet that breaks out all of my bikes, but since I'd be doing something like this anyway even if I did use computers for all bikes, this is not a burden. I copy the spreadsheet from year to year, so it doesn't have to be re-created every 12 months.

Patrick "Excel is the only Office program that doesn't merit cursing" Moore

Patrick Moore

Marc Irwin

não lida,
28 de dez. de 2019, 09:08:4828/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
Keep using my bikes for transportation around town.    I don't track bike mileage anymore but that routine has kept my driving in the 2-3K range for a year.  Make 3 week long self supported trips and monthly weekend trips to the Lake.  I should ride in a charity ride each month and perhaps a few more club rides.  Find more effective ways to promote the book I wrote about cycle touring.  I should enjoy another great year.

Marc

Paul Richardson

não lida,
28 de dez. de 2019, 11:19:0428/12/2019
para RBW Owners Bunch
1.  two sub-24 campouts
2.  ride some decent distance in a new state (added new york and connecticut to my list this year)
3.  swap out the bb on my homer
4.  build up suzie wolbis and find some choice off-roadish riding close to home

that's four--there's more.

paul
takoma park, md.0

Jason Fuller

não lida,
20 de ago. de 2020, 19:47:1220/08/2020
para RBW Owners Bunch
I stumbled across this old thread when looking at subscribed threads.  Funny to look back at 2020 planning, before 2020 came along and screwed everything up.

BUT!  I said my goal for 2020 was to ride 3600 km, and I'm at 3193 km YTD already. So that's good, I guess!  I am also in the midst of a cancer fundraiser right now that has me committed to 1000 km for August, which is a not insignificant part of that.

Commuting isn't happening anymore, I don't see any bike camping or touring happening for me this year either.  But I'm getting out locally, for sure. A 200k brevet is almost a sure thing, I've been doing plenty of rides in the 100 - 150 km range.

How's everyone else making out with their goals?

On Monday, 23 December 2019 at 15:22:38 UTC-8 Jason Fuller wrote:
I bought two new Rivendells this fall, so my 2020 goal is to not buy any more bikes and ride the heck out of these new ones!  :D

My mileage goal is 3600 km, which is a monthly average I had been keeping up July thru November this year. Other goals include:

 - Ride a 200km brevet (or at least go for a 200k ride)
 - go on at least two bike camping trips
 - go on at least two credit card tours (3-5 day)
 - commute by bike at least twice a week (it's 20km each way)

But more than anything, I just want to get out on the bike as often as is practical, and use the heck out of these Rivs.
Responder a todos
Responder ao autor
Encaminhar
0 nova mensagem