Wall Hanging Bike with Albatross Bars

Minh

Aug 20, 2021, 10:46:59 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hoping to mine the collective mind a little bit.  I'm trying to figure out how to wall mount my quickbeam, but i have the ultra wide albatross bars which is pushing it away from the wall.

has anyone mounted something similar?  did you use off the shelf rack or built something custom?    I tried a cycloc (which is pretty far off the wall) and see to remember the front wheel still needed to be turned a bit to clear the wall!

this is a last effort to come up with an acceptable solution to store my QB in our small brooklyn apt, otherwise i may have to let it go so thanks for any ideas!

Michael Morrissey

Aug 20, 2021, 11:11:28 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a similar issue in my apartment. I was thinking of trying this: the Gootus mount.

I'm mostly repulsed by bike hanging systems because they all seem to appear to be torturing bikes or making them look like they are drawn and quartered. I think bikes should be stored as ready-to-go as possible.

Has anyone used it?

Michael

PS If your Quickbeam is a 58cm, I'll buy it. I'm in NYC too.

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Aug 20, 2021, 11:15:11 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use one of these (link below), though I think it was under a different name brand at my time of purchase but same exact design.  I recall seeing the same thing branded Delta some time ago on another site somewhere.

Fitting 2 bikes works but can be tricky depending on the size/fit/bars on each but the 2nd/outermost holder gives better wall clearance for a single bike with wide bars too.  I've considered a DIY custom mount but saw this at a local shop and grabbed it to replace a single mount wall/tire hook (which is another option from this same brand but holds the bike vertical/perpendicular vs. horizontal like the 2 bike version.

Best of luck in figuring it all out!

Brian Cole

Erik Wright

Aug 20, 2021, 11:19:22 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Living in a 100 year old row home, learning how to store/mount all my bikes when I first moved in was a JOURNEY. I explored most wall-mounting options, having 4 bikes all mounted differently as display / storage on the first floor of my house.

At the Philly Bike Expo '17 I saw DaHanger, which mounts just like the Gootus that Michael shared. I picked one up and it's by far my favorite of all the wall-mounting options. It feels tidier than other options and keeps the wheels tucked against the wall so the bike encroaches on the living space much less. It works great with Albatross bars, my 50cm Cowchippers, and other wide bars. I haven't tried vertical stacking like they say you can do, but I'm considering it.

I recommend it!

Erik, Philly

Minh

Aug 20, 2021, 11:23:56 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks Erik/Dan

i didnt know about these, so the bike is sitting at an angle to the wall?  Erik how high do you have yours?  How is it lifting the bike into the platforms and then securing it with the pedal?  Do you have a picture of your setup?

lconley

Aug 20, 2021, 11:32:22 AM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been looking at the Cycloc, that hangs the bicycle by the pedal, and has rests/stops at the tires. the top of the bike is tilted away from the wall.

Laing

Minh

Aug 20, 2021, 12:07:11 PM8/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
hi Laing,

just to clarify, i used the 'bucket' cycloc in the past.  i didnt know about this new one that hangs by the pedal, i see that the idea is very similar to the DaHanger that Erik linked