WTB - 9spd Dura Ace downtube shifters

Bikie#4646

Apr 9, 2024, 11:22:46 PMApr 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
Asking for a good friend. I can facilitate the sale.
Is this a unicorn?

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

Bill Lindsay

Apr 10, 2024, 3:48:19 PMApr 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's not a unicorn.  It's just very very old.  Find them on eBay for $150 to $200.  They are worth every penny, IMO.  I think the best price I ever paid for used ones here on I-Bob was around $50, but that was a situation where I pounced the moment they were offered, and they went into my own inventory.  Does your friend have a budget?  Also, you can get brand new 9sp bar cons from Rivendell at $140, and elsewhere for a few dollars less.  Some people run bar cons on their down tube shifter bosses, and they work fine.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Ted Durant

Apr 10, 2024, 5:27:57 PMApr 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 2:48:19 PM UTC-5 Bill Lindsay wrote:
Also, you can get brand new 9sp bar cons from Rivendell at $140, and elsewhere for a few dollars less.  Some people run bar cons on their down tube shifter bosses, and they work fine.

 FYI, Grant tells me that he thinks Shimano has stopped making the 9sp bar-end shifters "after 25 or 26 years of making them". Get 'em while you can, and expect the price to get eye-watering.

And, yes, you can run them on the down tube. Interesting bit of RBW history ... I pointed this out to Grant a long time ago, and that the opposite was true, that downtube shifters could be mounted on Shimano bar-end pods. And thus were born the Silver 1 bar-end shifters.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA

maxcr

Apr 10, 2024, 5:34:40 PMApr 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's an expensive set NOS 9 speed 7700 model $225 (no connection to the seller): https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bop/d/mason-nos-shimano-dura-ace-7700/7721948827.html
And a used set at a great price $70 for the 10 speed 7800 model (no connection to the seller): https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bop/d/saint-paul-shimano-dura-ace-sl-speed/7721310412.html
Max

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

NYCbikeguy

Apr 10, 2024, 8:01:27 PMApr 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
This may not be of interest to you, but I also have DA 11 speed bar end shifters (no friction mode) New in box. Willing to sell for $110 + shipping
D9237F92-6E43-4140-9020-1C1AA29E6E8D.JPG71A4D7CE-AC73-4E57-978D-94F95B19E5AD 2.JPG

On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 7:57:32 PM UTC-4 NYCbikeguy wrote:
I have a NIB set in my hands. Willing to sell for 180+shipping.
Have a gently used set as well. willing to sell for 160+shipping.
IMG_5800.JPG73200038249__D761967A-AB7F-4595-A016-3FC1B52E2762.JPG

On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 6:24:01 PM UTC-4 Bikie#4646 wrote:
Many thanks Max. I will r=forward to my friend.

Regards,
Paul Germain

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Dewey

Apr 11, 2024, 10:50:54 AMApr 11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Who among us has used Dura-Ace 9-speed dt levers long enough to ‘wear them out’?

And if so, how long?

Jock

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 2:28 PM Ted Durant <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 2:48:19 PM UTC-5 Bill Lindsay wrote:
Also, you can get brand new 9sp bar cons from Rivendell at $140, and elsewhere for a few dollars less.  Some people run bar cons on their down tube shifter bosses, and they work long fine.

 FYI, Grant tells me that he thinks Shimano has stopped making the 9sp bar-end shifters "after 25 or 26 years of making them". Get 'em while you can, and expect the price to get eye-watering.

And, yes, you can run them on the down tube. Interesting bit of RBW history ... I pointed this out to Grant a long time ago, and that the opposite was true, that downtube shifters could be mounted on Shimano bar-end pods. And thus were born the Silver 1 bar-end shifters.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA

James Valiensi

Apr 11, 2024, 11:11:24 AMApr 11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I bought a NOS set from Alex Cycles in Japan a couple years ago. Paid $90. The set they replaced was installed in 2002 and were a bit loose. So, they last about 20-years.
I wish I had the matching derailleur.

Brian Forsee

Apr 11, 2024, 12:22:38 PMApr 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have any for sale but I can confirm they are worth the $$. Beautiful component with a satisfying click in index mode and if your bike has a light-ish downtube you can even hear the 'ping' resonate the frame a little bit. At least that's what I think I'm hearing on my waterford homer I have a set on.

I too wish i had the matching long cage derailleur.

Eric Marth

Apr 11, 2024, 8:04:01 PMApr 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul — Is Greg trying to bling his Roadini?
Message has been deleted