Club Rides On A Racing Platypus

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Apr 6, 2022, 10:10:18 AM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
6982042D-DB05-4044-8AC4-9076A708539B.jpeg0221807D-FECC-440C-AE2E-AF03DDB70770.jpegWe moved to Michigan 4 months ago. After years of being a Lone Wolf I did the unthinkable and joined the local bike club. The club was founded by racers 50 (FIFTY!) years ago, but they seemed welcoming enough. Having never ridden in a group, I lacked knowledge of my pace and skill, did not knowif I’d enjoy club riding. I’ve never been a road rider. The West has always offered me bike lanes and bike paths - riding with cars going 55 mph seemed suicidal. Would it be stressful? Would I be accepted? Would I be slow? My raspberry Platypus is my lightest build. I don’t know how much it weighs, but it has a lightweight Nitto rear rack, a Bag Boy Saddlesack (not pictured), and too many things on the handlebars. Meet my club ride bike.

My Racing Platypus. 😂

One of the board members took me under her wing. She invited her good friend and organized a ride for the 3 of us. She taught me club etiquette on the road. They rode carbon bikes with drop bars, but they did not question my bike. It went great. Bolstered by that ride, I accepted her invite to the first club ride of the season, provided we could ride in the same group. “They’ll never believe it when you show up with that bike, Leah, but you’re strong and you can definitely do club rides.” I have stars in my eyes for this woman; she is admirable in every way. If she said I could do it, I would try.

I pulled into the park and it was carbon and drop bars as far as the eye could see. A wave of nausea washed over me as I walked my Platypus to the group huddle. Billie Bars on full display, Grant Safety triangle clasped around my waist, looking like a true Lone Wolf, I stood in the circle. The older members were very welcoming and found nice things to say about the Racing Platypus. The younger racers…well, they ignored it. I’m just as guilty; I find them terrifying, so I didn’t say hello, either.

My mentor put us in the 12-14 mph group. A good place to start. It proved too easy and I coasted much of that 20 miles. We decided we’d do the 15-16 mph group next time. That day came and due to bad weather it was a small turnout. We joined the slow group again because they would have only had 2 riders otherwise. We chose the route famous for its “rollers” (“What are rollers?” the Platypus rider asked.) and conquered them in cold weather with a headwind. The Racing Platypus, baptized on the mountains and hills of Las Vegas, took no issue with those rollers.

The next night was the women’s ride - the first of the season. About 10 women, all experienced riders. Triathletes and marathoners, most. All on drop bar carbon or aluminum. Wondering if they should create a slow and a fast group, my mentor interrupted and said we’ll be one 15-16 mph group. Leah can hang.

I hadn’t realized *I* was the reason they were considering a slow group, but there it was.

That was a challenging ride. Those women were fast. The route was 24 miles and the wind was strong. I was able to stay in 2nd and 3rd position but I was working to do it. I loved it; such fun to ride with bike people and to let them plan the route. We passed by 4 lakes. We saw tons of wildlife. Cars were nice to us and it felt safe to ride on roads with the group. I got the “wow, a vintage bike” and “I’d like a cruiser bike, too” comments, and one comment that assumed I must not be able to afford a carbon bike. They don’t know how it’s possible not to be clipped in. They marveled at my kickstand. But, I don’t mind because it’s so much fun to ride with them.

Observations and Things I’m learning:
1. Bike diversity is healthy.
It is good for racers to see Rivendells and similar style bikes in their club rides. It is good for me to appreciate other kinds of bikes and other riding styles. I can be as guilty as them for thinking my way/bike are best.

2. Bringing your practical, Just Ride mentality to a club is good.
It seems racer types don’t know about USING a bike. You cannot have your carbon frame knocked about in a bike rack, so errands by bike/commuting isn’t popular. I have been active on the club’s FB discussion page, and been posting the 30 Days of Biking challenge. I’ve got pics of my huge grocery hauls on my Shopping Platypus and the like. Surprisingly, they did not know about this national challenge, and several of them are now joining me, including my mentor!  Riding for pleasure and errands is a foreign concept to most. They ride to go fast and get miles and be fit. But, they show genuine interest in riding for practical reasons.

3. There are things you can learn from racers.
They are more aware of safety issues than I am. They saved me from a crash last night by calling out “HOLE!” while my head was turned, enthralled with the swans on the lake. I saw the hole and swerved just in time. I also ride too close to the yellow lines in the center of the road for their comfort and they (rightly) corral me back in. Shifting is going to matter. I rarely shift, but I noticed that after a stop, I’m slow to get going and standing on my pedals - because I’m in my hardest gear, duh. I should learn to anticipate that so I’m in a more favorable gear when we set off from intersections. There will be more lessons I glean from them, I am sure.

4. Club riding will force you to be faster.
Speed hasn’t been a priority for me, but it’s nice to know you *can* be fast. And if you can be faster, you will likely be fitter. I’m interested to see how my body responds to these new challenges.

5. Club riding will teach you about yourself.
The more I ride, the more I learn. My preferences have evolved over the years, but I think I know how I like my bikes and my gear. I know the terrain I prefer. But I was doing all my riding alone. Riding with others shows you where you fall in context, introduces new experiences, reveals little things you might not know about yourself - like your biases. Riding with others can show you who you are - good, bad or ugly.

Two women in my group are interested in a Platypus of their own. My mentor is saving her pennies for one, and another woman told me last night she is very interested. Mine will probably be the only Racing Platypus. But it would be a thrill to see more of these bikes here in town.

Don’t count yourself out just because you ride a bike that is markedly different from the norm. Attached are photos from my last 2 club rides.
Leah

Bill Lindsay

Apr 6, 2022, 10:34:00 AM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's just sensational stuff right there.  Great work, Leah!

Bill Lindsay
usually el cerrito, but livonia today

Eric Daume

Apr 6, 2022, 10:35:44 AM4/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So how long until we see Leah on a black carbon Diverge?

Eric

George Schick

Apr 6, 2022, 10:40:17 AM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good stuff.  This is how things should work in a cycling club.  Please tell about the "30 Days of Biking" challenge.

Doug H.

Apr 6, 2022, 10:42:55 AM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
Thank you for sharing this story. I think most people assume you need carbon or aluminum with drop bars to join in group road riding, I know I did for many years. I rode a carbon Felt Z6 in group rides. It was a great bike but not comfortable on any ride honestly. I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was until I started riding steel/chromoly with upright/swept back handlebars. I agree group riding does teach you about safety and looking out for other riders. "Car back" "Pothole" "On your left" are all routine call outs to the others. I do enjoy solo rides now more though but a group ride is fun and social.

You should be an official Rivendell brand ambassador. Not kidding.
Doug

lconley

Apr 6, 2022, 10:46:48 AM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good for you, Leah.
I have probably ridden more in the last two months than I rode all of last year. I still need to double my riding speed before I think about riding with groups again. Right now it is just LSD - LONG SLOW DISTANCE, for me.

Laing
Delray beach FL

Patrick Moore

Apr 6, 2022, 12:07:44 PM4/6/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Good for you and congratulations. We'll want to hear further club riding experiences. Also, we'll want to know each and every one of the lightening tricks to get the Platypus down to CF road bike weight.

Me, I'll bet Leah buys a tricked-out Roadeo before the year is out ...

Joe Bernard

Apr 6, 2022, 12:08:10 PM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
What a journey you've been on! And a brave one, I don't think I'd have ever had the nerve to show up on my upright Rivendell in a sea of carbon roadies and say "Yeah. I can do this." There you were doing 15-16 mph on your Platypus. That's dang fast!

Joe "not that fast" Bernard

Patrick Moore

Apr 6, 2022, 12:14:13 PM4/6/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
2 or 3 years ago I did a few group rides with an informal club of Sandia Labs engineers. This was no CF racing club, of course, but most rode CF road bikes, except one of the leaders who had a custom Ti road bike; there were a couple of others on the first ride with upright bikes. I turned up on my 1999 Joe Starck Riv gofast fixie and as the oldest rider there acquitted myself well, especially on the hills, tho' there was one ride where had to send a shepherd back to coax me up to the next stopping point, as the last leg was a several-mile gradual climb against a headwind and I was tired. I stopped after 2-3 rides with them because they left the downtown starting point, 20 miles from me, at 6 am which meant I had to get up much earlier, and frankly, I don't like riding at 6 am.

Patrick Moore

Leah Peterson

Apr 6, 2022, 2:23:54 PM4/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
30 Days of Biking is a challenge done every April. You can ride as far or long as you like, but every ride counts, regardless. I’ve tried to be creative with the ways I’m using my bike and I post it on the FB page under a thread I made there. I’ll include some photos here of how I’m doing it.

1. Exploring.

Video.MOV
Video_1.MOV
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Apr 6, 2022, 2:37:29 PM4/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Huh. I see the format on GG messed up the text on my last post. The missing text is:
1. Exploring
2. Shopping (A video.)
3. Riding with your kid. Who has stolen your gloves.
4. An old video from last year, when I still lived in the desert.

On Apr 6, 2022, at 2:23 PM, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Video.MOV
Video_1.MOV
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Kevin Reinking

Apr 6, 2022, 3:37:17 PM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, their Slow group was probably pretty fast for you on the "upright" Platypus!!
My first thought is you'll quickly be tempted down the stretchy clothes path if you continue to "hang" with them. Nothing wrong with that really, but it is a different mentality.
More Workout and Goals oriented; I gave up on that once I stopped racing.
In fact that's what drove me back to Cruisers, Klunkers, Clementine's, etc. . . .
Swinging a leg over a bike that's gonna seriously handicap you from keeping up, really discourages you from doing so.
With my current limitations, I'm just happy to go my pace, for as long as I feel like going; making sure to enjoy myself.
When I stopped working I thought it would be sweet to be able to ride whenever I want, but I quickly found I still can't ride whenever I want and riding to work gave me an excuse to ride more!
If there's no place you GOTTA be, there's no sense in riding in the rain or when it's 90+ degrees outside!!
Just remember to Have Fun!!

Joe Bernard

Apr 6, 2022, 3:42:35 PM4/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I say go for it if that becomes part of what she (or anyone) enjoys about cycling. Lycra and dropbars and going fast and being crazy fit is fun, too!

Joe Bernard

Bill Lindsay

Apr 7, 2022, 7:52:51 AM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric Daume jokingly asked:  " how long until we see Leah on a black carbon Diverge?"

If we're taking bets, put my money on the "don't hold your breath" box.  LOL!

A.  I bet she won't ever ride carbon
B.  If she ever rides carbon it won't be from Specialized
C.  If she ever rides a carbon Specialized, it won't be black

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Doug H.

Apr 7, 2022, 8:02:19 AM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,
My answer to the multiple choices is all of the above!
Doug

Bill Lindsay

Apr 7, 2022, 8:18:54 AM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Doug, I didn't mean it as a multiple choice.  I meant it as three embedded layers of "it ain't gonna happen".

The strongest layer of "ain't gonna happen" in Leah's case is C.

A. 100:1 odds  Maybe 20 years from now all bikes are carbon.  She'd buy one if that was the only way
B. 10:1 odds  Maybe 30 years from now Specialized has patented "bicycle" and monopolizes the entire industry.  She'd buy one if that was the only way
C. 1,000,000:1 odds  Even if every bike in the world is a black carbon specialized, on her first ride she'd go buy a rattle can and get some color on that thing!

BL in EC

Doug H.

Apr 7, 2022, 8:23:13 AM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I strongly concur! And that's why Leah is da bomb!
Doug

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/37067fd7-eec6-4275-a4f7-f83ea1a72165n%40googlegroups.com.

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2022, 11:16:56 AM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bill! I laughed out loud, and I could use a laugh today. Riots of color ARE my thing - is it that obvious?! And I’m impressed that you manage switching between Eastern time and Pacific so well. It’s not hurt your wit, that’s for sure.

The poor carbon bikes might be really good at what they’re designed to do, but they are rather soul-less looking. I looked around at the bikes in attendance and thought, “I guess the best you can hope to do is to throw on some colorful plastic bottle cages or a colorful seat bag and call it pretty.

Leah

On Apr 7, 2022, at 8:19 AM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

Doug, I didn't mean it as a multiple choice.  I meant it as three embedded layers of "it ain't gonna happen".
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/37067fd7-eec6-4275-a4f7-f83ea1a72165n%40googlegroups.com.

iamkeith

Apr 7, 2022, 11:23:18 AM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is fantastic!  As much as I find the bike/gear part interesting, I'm enjoying seeing how you've embraced your new community and endeavored to explore it and meet people.  An inspiration for someone with hermit tendancies like me.

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2022, 11:25:24 AM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

Their slow group was slow. I was glad to be in the faster class on the women’s ride. I kept pace, rode in 2nd and 3rd position, and it wasn’t effortless. I don’t think I will fall victim to the Lycra; I’m perfectly happy with the workout wear I find at Target - highly recommend their All In Motion brand, for anyone looking.

As far as fitness, don’t give up. You can still be fit on a clunker!

I want to preserve my abilities and keep preventable disease at bay, so I take fitness pretty seriously. Group rides will really challenge me and probably increase my abilities. With my heavier bike and non-aero gear, I am probably gleaning better results than the rest of the group. I also lift weights, run and do core, because cycling alone is not great exercise. It’s too efficient.

But no matter what, always enjoy your ride.

On Apr 6, 2022, at 3:37 PM, Kevin Reinking <mas...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Well, their Slow group was probably pretty fast for you on the "upright" Platypus!!

Toshi Takeuchi

Apr 7, 2022, 11:43:47 AM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leah,

I'm very excited and not surprised at all that you are able to hang with the fast crowd.  Way to go!

I also doubt you will go carbon fiber, but I might not be surprised if you ended up sporting some Rene Herse extra light tires in your pacelines.

Supple sidewall tires make a surprising difference in speed and comfort. Rene Herse extra light (EL) tires and Grand Bois EL tires are the ones I've used most often (but pricey), and if you want more flat protection, then the Panaracer Gravel King (see for example RF650B42-GK-D) are quite nice too (someone on another thread used Gravel King SS).  I think there are other Panaracer/SOMA tires in this price range that would also be worth considering.

Have fun!
Toshi

Mathieu Brown

Apr 7, 2022, 11:46:50 AM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with that, Toshi

I've ridden Carbon Fiber before (back in college) and it is light but not that much different than a well set up Riv (in my experience)

MATHIEU BROWN

Bill Lindsay

Apr 7, 2022, 12:03:52 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Speaking of riots of color:  My "Michigan Man" bike had boring black knobbies on it, that were skinnier than ideal.  I swapped the tires out last night for chubbier slicks in RED!!  I think Leah may approve of this color riot:

It's a krazy kandy kolored klown!

Bill Lindsay
Livonia MI

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2022, 12:26:28 PM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bill: APPROVE

On Apr 7, 2022, at 12:03 PM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

Speaking of riots of color:  My "Michigan Man" bike had boring black knobbies on it, that were skinnier than ideal.  I swapped the tires out last night for chubbier slicks in RED!!  I think Leah may approve of this color riot:

Ted Durant

Apr 7, 2022, 12:41:05 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 7:10:18 AM UTC-7 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
...Don’t count yourself out just because you ride a bike that is markedly different from the norm. Attached are photos from my last 2 club rides.
Leah

Way to go, Leah! Your observation about shifting in advance is a keen one. You'll find that helps even riding by yourself where there are stop signs and lights.

Riding with groups should be about being with people you enjoy, much more than about the equipment. If you can ride in the group, stay close to (but never overlap!) the wheel in front of you, stay in a straight line, and not brake unnecessarily, it doesn't matter what you're riding. Another top tip given to me early on was to watch the heads of other riders, not their wheels.

I'm afraid my experience with group rides over the last decade has come to the point where I prefer to ride alone. Group riding seems to have become all about testosterone tests, blowing through stop signs/lights, and yelling at car drivers. Even Randonneurs on brevets seem to be heading that direction. I'm really glad you've found a group that is welcoming. I hope they continue to ride safely!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2022, 12:45:19 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yoshi - now this is a reasonable change I *would* make. I don’t even know what tires I have on that bike right now - Teravail? I don’t know. I do have the Gravel King slicks on the Clem, though. I’ve never really known much about tires; I just told Analog what I was looking to do and they built me wheels and found me tires. I just don’t want flats. But, the Platys are both set up tubeless now, so maybe it would be ok to go with supple sidewall tires.
Leah

upyou...@yahoo.com

Apr 7, 2022, 12:51:19 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
Keep having fun and making friends.  It's all part of the bike journey.
I once showed up to an elite duathlon (bike+run) with my hybrid flat bar bike with a back rack.  I looked around at all the lycra kits and major bikes and didn't really know any better at the time.  I thought that because I could run and bike that I could do this.  Well, I was having a good ole time out on the course doing my own thing...I was solo.  I realized something was up when a car came up slowly behind me and asked if I was doing OK.  Apparently, all the bikers were off the course and finishing up the run.  I was still on the bike course, not in a pace line and not riding fast.  By the time I completed the bike portion, the participants were putting bikes on cars and eating pizzas.  I had to disembark my bike and run the 2 mile course in front of everyone.  In the end, I won 3rd place in my age group. (there were only 3 in my group) and just did my own thing.
I've always had a back rack and trunk on my bike.  I rode in clubs but was never taken seriously even when I was a strong rider.  The pack and race mentality was very strong.  I couldn't keep up with the A or B riders but I could do the long distances that they did easily.  It seems like there wasn't a way to be in a club and do long distance but in a more casual pace so in the end, Lone Wolf Cycling was more my game.
My suggestion is to just keep riding and trying new things and see how it goes.  You might find just the right match for your riding, learn along the way and educate others on upping their color dazzle game.
Kate-still riding with a back rack and trunk- in New Jersey

Joe Bernard

Apr 7, 2022, 1:57:24 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I concur that downshifting when approaching stops is helpful. On that bike with two chainrings the trick may be to ride almost as though it's a 2-speed: dump to the small ring before stopping, then get a good spin going and go back to the big.

Joe Bernard

Scott Calhoun

Apr 7, 2022, 2:27:39 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

Your successful foray club riding on a Platypus speaks to both your fitness and open mindedness . From your fun-to-read account, it looks like you are having a good two-way exchange of bicycle information with the club members.

Your experience got me thinking about all the times I've showed up for cycling events as the outsider because of my out-of-the-mainstream clothing or bicycle choices, and the times when I've been more conventional. I came into cycling 30ish years ago (gulp) in road racing (Bridgestone RB-1) and I've never lost my love for drop bar steel bikes. I did my first organized 200k on a 1969 Lejuene French bike, and the organizers all took pictures of me with my bike at the end because they thought it was so novel. A few months ago, I did the El Tour Tucson century on my full-fendered MAP randonneur bike with my giant handlebar bag. I fell in with a fast group all on carbon and we finished in 5:30, but they all kept saying, "just think how fast you'd be on such-and-such a carbon bike" I was thinking to myself, "just think how comfortable you'd be on 650b x 42mm tires with only 40psi!" Also, I stopped at an Italian deli and filled my front bag with Mozzarella on the way home.

I'm all for everybody doing whatever is fun and comfortable in regards to their bike and equipment. If you find yourself wanting to do more and faster club rides, I expect you might want to at least experiment with a bike more like what the other club riders are on just to see what you might or might not be missing. I am part of a coffee drinking and fast cycling club and the group averages 17-20mph speeds on rides in the 40-60 mile range. For those rides, it is a lot easier (or possible) for me to stay with the group when I use the following:

1. Tight-fitting aero jersey (no flapping!). A sleek jersey can have more effect than wheels, tires, etc. It is also the cheapest way to gain speed through buying stuff.
2. Drop bars. For me, they are so much more comfortable when I'm riding at faster speeds. I can stretch out my back, get a little lower, change hand positions, and put more power through the pedals.
3. Closely spaced gears with handlebar controlled shifters. It's easier to stay together if you all have similar gaps in your gears and can make those changes quickly and frequently as needed.

I hope I didn't veer into mansplaining or take on a fatherly tone in my comments above. If you ever did decide you wanted to acquire something in the Riv family like a Roadeo, Ram, or maybe an RB-1, there would be many here who would happily enable such a quest. I'd be one of them.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your next club-riding adventure.

Mojo

Apr 7, 2022, 4:48:24 PM4/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, I am not surprised that a fit young woman, such as you, could keep up with the more 'serious' riders on more 'serious' bikes. I have come to understand, experientially and anecdotally, that once you are in an efficient position on a well-functioning bike, the bike is just not that important for non-sprinting speed.

What does surprise me is your willingness to be the outlier, the non-conformist, to stretch yourself into an unfamiliar situation. That is true strength and speaks to your depth of character. Excellent, most excellent.

Joe 'be more like Leah' Ramey in GJT

Patrick Moore

Apr 7, 2022, 5:13:18 PM4/7/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
+1, tho' I'll add, decent tires.

Anecdote: when I lived in Gallup, NM there was a local athlete standout, Bob Rosebrough, a local lawyer and later mayor, who, besides being 6'4", was tremendously fit. I heard a story from friends about how he entered his first regional road race, riding his only bike at the time, a huge mountain bike with flat bar and those energy-sapping knobbies prevalent back in the very, very late '80s or very, very  early '90s.

The pack leaders were humming along and, all of a sudden, they heard this buzzing sound getting closer and closer. It was Bob on his Cannondale or whatever, slowly overtaking them. One looked at another and said, "Oh, no!" (This is what I was told.) He went on to win the race.

Corrollary: My almost only race experience was to be roped into a very, very amateur team for the 1991 Mount Taylor Quad, a bike + run + ski + snowshoe and return race up Mount Taylor in Grants, NM. I did the bike leg to fill in for a fallout, and 3 others did the other legs.

We 4 as a team were trying to beat Rosebrough doing the whole thing solo. I forget if he or we won, but the question is not at all absurd.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 2:48 PM 'Mojo' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
... I have come to understand, experientially and anecdotally, that once you are in an efficient position on a well-functioning bike, the bike is just not that important for non-sprinting speed.

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2022, 7:04:55 PM4/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, All, you are SO NICE. I really appreciate the tips and encouragement. I’m so glad the club has been welcoming. One of the members (he rides a Riv!) sending me a woman to show me the ropes in her non-intimidating way has been so key.

I love my Raspberry Platypus, genuinely love it, and that might be the only reason I am brave enough to bring it to a club ride. I couldn’t enjoy myself if I couldn’t ride that particular Platypus. By the time I took possession of it, I had been pining for my bike for over two years. It has been everything I hoped for and is part of my identity now. We go together; its inclusion into rides not suited to it is part of the deal.

But it just so happens that this bike *can* keep up. I have a couple of advantages: 1. The club members I met say they don’t ride in the cold months, and I do (if there isn’t snow on the road). So, I’ve already had a lot of time on my bike when the season starts. 2. Pedaling a heavier bike will make you stronger. I really believe this - I think I just adapted.

Now, as the road crew build their fitness during summer rides, they may leave my Racing Platypus in the dust. But I can’t worry about that right now. We’ll see what next week brings!
Leah

On Apr 7, 2022, at 4:48 PM, 'Mojo' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Leah, I am not surprised that a fit young woman, such as you, could keep up with the more 'serious' riders on more 'serious' bikes. I have come to understand, experientially and anecdotally, that once you are in an efficient position on a well-functioning bike, the bike is just not that important for non-sprinting speed.

st nick

Apr 7, 2022, 7:38:33 PM4/7/22
to Digest Recipients
Leah, what a great account of trying a new aspect to cycling!

It's made even greater that you're doing it on a Platypus!

This thread was a fun read.

I enjoyed the insightful reply as well.

It sounds like many on this list have tried the faster group riding  at one time in their cycling experience, me included.

The best I could ever do in my younger cycling days was average 16 to 17 mph.
(My late 30's to mid 40's)

I could not hang with the 18 to 20 mph and up folks.

I did enjoy the local Dallas  cycling TX club for several years, mostly for the comraderie and social aspects.

Their rides were no drop and they really looked after the slower and newer riders.
Also they often met for lunch afterwards.

It sounds like your group is similar in looking after all riders.

The big Hotter n' Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls,  TX was also a hoot.
10,000 plus cyclists out on a hot August Saturday was something to behold.

I participated 14 different years.
Even my best attempt was only a 16mph average though. What an adventure though!
 It's really an endurance challenge at least it was for me to finish 100 miles in such heat. You definitely have to pace yourself.

I only did the 100 miler 4 years and mostly started doing the 100k portion.

As I've aged the solo rides or with 2, 3 or 4 or so friends is what I enjoy most now although I'm very glad I had the other cycling experiences including loaded up self contained touring.

Leah, enjoy your new riding experience and please keep sharing.

You have a gift to be able to share in such a winsome,  fun for others to read and relate way.

Safe pedaling at any speed.
Paul in Dallas
(Too wordy in my senior years)

.

Nick Payne

Apr 8, 2022, 7:32:30 AM4/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've raced on and off for ~40 years, and when I was still working, I quite frequently used to roll up for the 6am training rides with the local racing cyclists on the Bleriot that I commuted on, complete with mudguards and Carradice camper longflap saddlebag containing my work clothes, lunch, etc - the bike did have drop handlebars, though. I was amused one morning when I rotated off after taking a pull on the front to hear one of the younger riders asking "Who's the old bloke with the bag on the back?".

Nick

JAS

Apr 8, 2022, 12:52:53 PM4/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is so impressive, Leah!  I admire your courage to get out there and meet new biking friends, try a new "style" of biking and handle the fast pace of your roady pack.  I love your enthusiasm for the Platypus and how others now want one.  Riding in a pace line is thrilling, isn't it?  The miles fly by faster than when riding alone and you feel like a goose, getting the draft and uplift from the riders in front.  Ride on, RivSister!

Joyce

John Hawrylak

Apr 8, 2022, 1:09:43 PM4/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

Great story, really enjoyed it and wish you well in the group rides

1 suggestion: If you turn the headlight OFF for the group ride, you may pick up about 1 mph.  The generator hub is not producing electricity from the wheel rotation to power a headlight of the light is off.  You can turn the light back on at the end of the group ride.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Joe Bernard

Apr 8, 2022, 1:17:03 PM4/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
*Leah moves to the front of the pack*

"How did she do that??"
'She turned her headlight off.'

*Everyone gives up and goes home* 😂

Leah Peterson

Apr 8, 2022, 1:53:48 PM4/8/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Turn off my dyno light? Gah, unthinkable! That’s one of the coolest things on my bike! I even have a nifty fender-mounted rear light.

When I arrived the roadies asked, Leah, uh, do you have some lights you can put on your bike?

Oh, I have these! They light up as I pedal.

They were incredulous.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 8, 2022, at 1:17 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

*Leah moves to the front of the pack*

Bones

Apr 8, 2022, 1:59:54 PM4/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice work Leah, keep it up. I spend most of my time riding solo at night so I'm envious. Also, I felt obligated to give Bill a run for his money...
IMG_Don_Johnson.jpg

Bones

Roberta

Apr 9, 2022, 5:11:53 AM4/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Such a fun and supportive thread, and I’m so happy for you to have found that also in person.

I wonder how you’ll be influencing them over the years as you are just as fast (fit), and can comfortably take in the view of the ride.

Fullylugged

Apr 9, 2022, 7:05:34 AM4/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah:
I always enjoy your posts and pictures. As a director of a local club, I am delighted to hear of the warm welcome and beginning ride friendships and mentoring. In a now lengthy cycling life, I find my pace is not significantly different with platforms or cleats, with drop bars or upright. Comfort sure varies, hence the motto, "I may not be fast, but I am comfortable." You are doing great, fitting in, having fun and riding your bike!  Two local ladies have also stepped over the "line" from drop bar racer style bikes.  They hang with the club on rides just fine. Both love their bikes.IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg

David Pulsipher

Apr 15, 2022, 6:21:44 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is a great story - I love your open mindset to put yourself out there. It's easy to feel like "I don't belong" to these types of groups when you see people riding differently than you. So commendable.

last year I did a "Gravel Race" on my surly long haul trucker with upright bars. So many people looked shocked, but I finished in the top half of the group. People were complimenting me on my bike and they actually liked seeing bike diversity. I have to admit my curiosity was piqued when my friend said "I can't imagine how fast you'd be on a carbon gravel frame." I think I considered it for about two days... ; )

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

May 3, 2022, 8:37:51 AM5/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I moved the Racing Platypus into the faster class last night. It was 15-16 mph, and the route chosen was 26.4 miles. That’s the longest club ride I’ve attended, and not knowing if I could keep pace made it a little terrifying. The group was nice enough but skeptical. I was the last to arrive, and as I wheeled my sparkly raspberry Billie-barred mixte into their group of lethal-looking black carbon drop-barred bikes I wanted to disappear.

“Are you with us?” asked one member. Cringe.
“Pretty bike,” said another. (Not “nice bike” mind you.)
My old group pulled up and the ride leader said, “Leah, aren’t you coming with us?”

Right there, I just about caved. Feeling like a traitor to the one group and a pretender to the other, I diplomatically said I’d just try the faster group this once and see how it went.

Everyone (but me) clipped in and we set off. I remember thinking that this was crazy. But, everything I do now scares me, so away I went.

There were new things I noticed in this group. They don’t stop - they will slow up a bit to let people catch up if need be, and they obey traffic signals but other than that, we are moving. You drink your water on the go. They ride closer together, probably for drafting purposes. They all magically accelerate at a certain point in the ride. I don’t know why they did it, but I figure it was because they knew we were at the end of the ride. Like horses racing home toward the barn. They talk more about gear and bikes/components. They are not appreciating the flowering trees.

My Apple Watch shows we averaged a perfect 16.0 mph for 26.4 miles. We hit speeds of 18.4 mph at times. I thought it was fun to fly around at that speed but also hoped we weren’t expected to keep it up for the entirety of the ride. My heart rate averaged a very respectable 147 beats/min. I did not feel spent or sore or beat up after the ride. As I type this this morning I feel fantastic and will lift weights after coffee.

You can ride your Rivendell to a club ride. You can even join one of the faster classes. You will be comfortable and you will get to turn your head and enjoy the scenery. But you will have to endure some skepticism and you should do it good-naturedly. That way it will be ok for them to change their minds about you when the ride is over.

It’s really fun to do group rides and be with bike people. I like having someone else choose the route so I’m free to enjoy the scenery. But this is not the highest use of the bicycle. I really like riding to get places and do errands best of all. I am glad I don’t have to choose one or the other. My bikes can do both.

I have this crazy idea. Next week, I could join my previous group and bring my big, huge, hero Clem. Wouldn’t that be wild? Has anyone ridden a Clem on a club ride?
Leah

bruce.h...@gmail.com

May 3, 2022, 9:42:57 AM5/3/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Leah:   Good ride! A senior lady in our club can hang at 18 on flat roads on her Clem L. She has made believers of many. Hills slow her down some, but she can ride with whatever group she wants to. On one Sunday afternoon ride, my friend Frank and I were felling peppy at about 18 mph and she dropped us like we were sacks of lead.  The Clem has Conti Contact Speed tires (RBW calls them "basketball") instead of Schwalbe. racks and fenders tho.

Tailwinds.

lconley

May 3, 2022, 10:44:19 AM5/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good for you Leah!

I have completed the two day 165 mile Cross Florida and the Valley Ride of Six-Gap on my Bombadil - which has a diagatube and tentacles, so not the lightest bike (or rider) at the events. I rode the Cross Florida with Bullmoose bars and the Valley Ride with Noodle drops. Rode in sneakers on platform pedals. Received lots of suggestions from people who are considerably younger than some of my bikes. Mostly I just nodded. I rode with a friend who rode a Bike Friday folding bike. The phrase "run what you brung" comes to mind.

When I was younger and the Cross Florida was a 170 mile single day only event, riding on my Masi road (racing) bike, there was a guy who rode it on a single speed beach cruiser, in flip-flops - had a case of Mellow Yellow and a case of beer bungeed to a rear rack at the start. When he finished (in one day), the rack was empty.

It is the mind and the legs that count the most, the bike mostly just needs to be reliable.

Laing

George Schick

May 3, 2022, 12:46:11 PM5/3/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This recent club ride with the faster group got me thinking.  If those riders are smart, they'll put Leah at the head of the pace line most of the time.  With her sitting in a bolt upright position on that Platypus she'd make an excellent wind break for those following.  And from the sound of they way she rides she wouldn't slow down their objective speed, either.

Doug H.

May 5, 2022, 4:07:49 PM5/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did two group rides on a Clem and felt like I could not keep up well. The group averaged about 16 mph so not super fast. But, I had not ridden much prior to the ride and I had the stock Kenda tires that I think might have contributed to my slow pace. There are mostly rolling hills in this area and on the route we took.  I'm in better condition now and have lighter tires so I want to try again. Let us know if you do the ride, Leah, and how it goes?
Doug

Chris Halasz

May 6, 2022, 3:30:07 PM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't done a club ride in decades - back then, it was a weekly Southern California thing, whether the Como St ride, MTB, etc.

I now, however, enjoy rides with folks I've met over the years from our local Newcomers club. Leah - you might want to look into that, especially if you're new to your area. Our local chapter hosts multiple weekly rides year-round (OK, weather is kind of accommodating here), and there's a wide diversity of bikes and capabilities. From there, folks gather in local groups, maybe by average speed, maybe according to common interests and growing friendships, and sometimes neighborhood convenience. Sometimes it's just two of us, sometimes a dozen with meet. Newcomers has introduced us to so many of the nicest people we've ever known, and we have made some of the dearest friends in our lifetimes. Highly recommended.

For the sake of gear diversity, I've attached a photo of the Platy next to one dear friend's cutting edge e-bike. We ride together, although not often enough (He's retired, and I've been working too many weekends). The past couple of times we've ridden, we've encountered other group rides, with young and fit cyclists on ominous sleek carbon frames. Each time, as they pass us by on long inclines, comments to the Platy are something like, 'hey - that is a beautiful bike - no really - unbelievable - nicest bike out here' and 'your bike is set up perfect - don't change a thing - awesome'. I'm confident they're verbalizing what I'm sure some of those on your club rides are thinking when they see the racing Platy roll into the group.

... Please keep the club ride stories going!

Cheers,

Chris
SB, CA

IMG_2237.jpeg

Leah Peterson

May 6, 2022, 4:12:46 PM5/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What a beautiful Platypus! Very cool group you get to ride with, Chris. Our Club is set up similarly in that if offers rides all week long from April-October (not the winter months, you spoiled Californian!)  and with all groups of speed. The local bike shop offers fun rides, too, like to local breweries or businesses in neighboring towns. They are really nice people and I’m so happy I got to join.

How are you liking that Platypus? Is it a Racing Platypus or some other kind?
Leah

On May 6, 2022, at 3:30 PM, Chris Halasz <cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't done a club ride in decades - back then, it was a weekly Southern California thing, whether the Como St ride, MTB, etc.

Chris Halasz

May 6, 2022, 4:50:20 PM5/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

My Rivendells fall into the category of dog-carrier, racing optional (she prefers long winding descents, and so demands their geometry).

She turns and whines when 'we' are too slow on the inclines. Keeps me fit.

IMG-2956.jpg

IMG-3325.jpg

Cheers,

Chris
SB, CA

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

May 18, 2022, 8:09:41 AM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last night was the worst yet. There are a lot of group rides in the Club, and once they all get used to seeing me I have hope of a normal, non-judgy experience. But last night was brutal.

This is a women’s ride. You would think women would be more welcoming than men, but I’m finding I have a better time with the men. They are better at keeping their thoughts to themselves. We huddled up at the start to discuss routes, rules, and break up into groups. Here comes a 20-something, whom I recognize from the Friday ride. She rode with the slow group that day. She approaches me and says, “How tall are you?”

“5’6”.

“Great. I felt so bad that you had to turn back on Friday’s ride because you didn’t have a road bike. We just all felt so bad! My Dad collects road bikes in my size and I have one for you!”

I was so embarrassed. She thinks I can’t afford a road bike. She thinks I can’t do the ride. I am not the woman she is thinking of, and she’s saying out loud what a lot of them are thinking already - that woman on the retro bike isn’t going to make it. I protested. Told her she must be thinking of someone else; I hadn’t turned back on the ride, I had finished. We hadn’t even ridden in the same group! “But I recognize your bike”, she insisted. I could not convince her, but she let it go as we rolled out of the parking lot.

After that, I had a LOT to prove. I got into the front of that peloton so that alllll the doubters behind me would see that I’m not limited by my bike. That morning I had ridden 23 miles with Marc (Sam rider and kindred spirit), lifted weights, and would now have 24 miles in the 15-16 mph class. I hoped I had enough in the tank to do it.

I rode alone for a lot of that ride. The other women were riding 2 abreast and chatting, but no one wanted to fill in the spot next to me. This went on for many miles. Finally, I ended up with a partner who broke the ice saying, “I like that you went retro all the way on that bike. Even the bag! How old is it?”

Eventually, when they realized I wasn’t going to wreck their ride, some of them warmed to me. They called me a beast. They liked the word “Platypus” on my bike. The 20-something apologized for mistaking my identity. It ended fine. But GEEZ, they make me work to prove myself. Just because I ride a different bike than them. The height of my persecution is nothing in comparison to the truly persecuted, but I’ve gotten a taste of what they endure. And it’s rotten.

A new woman in the 12 mph group finished and I asked how was her ride. She has an upright Raleigh with suspension fork and seat post. She is obese but working on it. “Well, it makes me want to get a road bike,” she said. Not me, I said.

Anyway, I love my Platypus and it doesn’t stop me from doing a single thing I want to do with it. I would like to see more Racing Platypuses at club rides! They are more than capable.

Leah

Doug H.

May 18, 2022, 8:22:56 AM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is disheartening to read but I'm glad you showed them that you can hang with the group. I think there is a lack of understanding about bicycles in general. I have learned much from the Rivendell philosophy and Grant but even before that I don't think I would have spoken to someone as that woman did. I've always been open minded and intrigued by folks who don't follow group-think. My Instagram name in doug_rides_solo and it suits my style lately. I avoid group rides even though I've done a few the past couple of years. When I rode a Clem in them the other guys asked about the bike and were skeptical I could keep up, which I struggled to do. But, it was not the bike, it was my lack of fitness. I have a Wabi Classic that while only a single speed is light weight with skinny tires (32 mm) that I have really liked. But, after riding the Clem for a few days straight, I hopped back on the Wabi and was instantly amazed at how the ride felt, in a bad way. The Wabi was not comfortable and didn't feel "fast" even with the specs telling me it should. It is light weight and aggressive in position. All this to say I have had a revelation in bicycle philosophy that I doubt will become mainstream in the world of group road riding.
Doug

Max S

May 18, 2022, 11:50:01 AM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roadies are snobby, but potentially with good reason. Let me explain...
While there CAN be plenty of groupthink and cultishness / exclusivity in road biking and club cycling that I don't care for, there are some good reasons to enforce a certain amount of conformity when riding fast on paved roads in a tight formation (e.g., a paceline).
Going fast in a long, rotating paceline, on a narrow shoulder of a road with cars zooming by, with potential for potholes causing pinch flats with skinny tires, you have to be very disciplined as a group, and you have to have a lot of trust in those in your paceline. Any failure to point out a pothole, approaching car, or joggers, any jitters or unsteadiness in speed can wreak havoc on the group. In a good, properly rotating paceline, you are going >20 mph, your tire is inches away from the next rider's tire, and your bars are also inches from another person's bars as you rotate back or forward. Riding in echelons in a side-wind can be even trickier.
I've ridden plenty when training and racing on the road, and riding with people who can maintain a straight line, steady speed without any speedometers or inclines / declines in the road is simply more enjoyable. You learn to stay the heck away from riders who are yoyo-ing back and forth, riders who "leave their wheel behind" when they stand up to climb, riders whose shorts and bikes are a little bit too torn up (potential for frequent crashes), and riders who for whatever other stupid reason may appear like they're different enough from you that you can't 110% rely on them to keep their line and predictability in a tight bunch. I'm not saying that you exhibit any of those functional foibles, but when you don't know the other riders all that well, as seems to be the occasional situation you're running into on these club rides, people tend to pay more attention to various secondary indicators / cues.
If you think about the risks and people's nature when riding in tight groups on the road, it's literally life-and-death (or life-and-serious-injury) type considerations that drive these behaviors.
In a well-run club ride, a leader will gently guide new riders in these unspoken rules and behaviors, and a welcoming approach can result in more trust and discipline than these gruff attitudes... It's unfortunate that there didn't seem to be a sufficiently experienced and authoritative "patron" on the ride to keep the skittish / insecure newbies in line and ensure there's a nurturing approach. But at the same time, do try to see it from another perspective. There are very good reasons to encourage diversity in cycling, but there are also instances / situations, where uniformity and conformity is the safest (and most enjoyable) way to go. If you ever get to ride with experienced and strong riders that can maintain a proper rotating paceline going at 20-25 mph, with very little work, relatively speaking, it's an exhilirating experience!

- Max "mostly reformed roadie racer who still likes to make an effort, even if mostly on dirt roads" in A2

PS: Take a day or weekend to visit A2 (a 2-3 hr drive from KZoo) and you'll discover lots of nice rides and friendly riders here. Happy to host.

Leah Peterson

May 18, 2022, 12:21:08 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I see your point, Max. And I think you’re right. If I don’t fall into line visually, then I might not be wise in their ways and therefore put the group at risk. And that’s a fair concern because I don’t have paceline experience (yet). We do not ride super tight or at 25 mph, and I hope we never do. (Are we a pretend paceline?) The ride leader mentions some things at the huddle and they say “don’t cross wheels” so I make sure never to do that. But there have been times when things go wrong and I wonder what I was *supposed* to have done. For instance, on the Monday Night Ride the woman in front of me slammed on her brakes suddenly (twice, actually, and I don’t know why). Before I even thought to do the same, I already was. This caused the man behind me to growl. Literally growl. I still don’t know what I should have done. Hit her?

It’s all very new and interesting and I would love to ride with you one day soon in A2.

Staying humble but staying on my Platypus regardless of what they think,
Leah

Max S

May 18, 2022, 12:40:41 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a decent primer on pacelines by GCN:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDxXRq5fo8A
Much better to learn by doing, of course. :-)

Also, I promise you will enjoy this read immensely:  https://www.amazon.com/Rider-Tim-Krabb%C3%A9/dp/1582342903
And after you read that book, please watch this little docu on that (cult) book:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiaitFPHtqw

- Max "whose 22 is no longer clean" in A2

Patrick Moore

May 18, 2022, 12:41:03 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Leah: Thanks for more enthralling narrative about the paceline Platypus. Max: Thanks for the interesting "apercus" on paceline etiquette.

While reading Max's description of paceline concerns, urgent niggling images of Rivendell Hillbikes in pacelines kept afflicting my imagination, with 75 cm-wide Rivendell handlebars and Titanic-length wheelbases preventing close paceline formations, etc. OTOH, the very precise handling of every Rivendell model I've ever ridden ought to take care of that problem.

Leah, if you were a man, I'd call you a "mensch."

Post scriptum: a plea: Peoples: can we attach High Volume jpegs to the message using the paperclip, instead of copying them into the body of the email? I have a 42" $1K (2015) gaming-quality screen (for work) and some files stretch the capacity of even this screen. Also, can we bottom-trim our messages so that we're not including multi-TBs of images and text from far earlier in the thread? Thanks.

Toshi Takeuchi

May 18, 2022, 1:01:24 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leah,

One crazy perspective that might be interesting to think about is what you experienced that day was what I experienced every day of my life growing up as a Japanese-American in the 80's in the midwest (OK a little hyperbole there, but real).  This is in the backdrop of Vincent Chin being beaten up and killed in MI for being "Japanese" and stealing American jobs--he was Chinese-American.  Anyhow, you could shed your "skin" and get a new bike, but I couldn't do that.

The good point is that most people aren't racist--they may just be ignorant.  They will look at you funny that first time, but once they get to know you they will be friendly and may even become friends.  At that point, it is just the new people you meet who give you the funny looks.

Good luck,
Toshi

lconley

May 18, 2022, 1:13:40 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you heard of the Velominati? see https://www.velominati.com/ , kind of a tongue-in-cheek look at cycling etiquette and cyclists.

By showing up on a Rivendell, you have obviously violated rule number 4: It's all about the bike, and a lot of other rules, too.

Laing

Joe Bernard

May 18, 2022, 3:49:58 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just hope it stays fun, or more accurately you continue to find the fun in it. Pacelines are notorious for attractng competitive grumpy people who wouldn't know fun if it cracked them over the head with a carbon fork. Stay away from those people!

Joe Bernard

George Schick

May 18, 2022, 4:15:43 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Something has happened to some of these local clubs over the decades.  When I was riding with head's down groups like the ones mentioned in this thread back in the late 70's/early 80's they weren't like that.  They all looked out for each other and politely pointed out different things to expect on the ride, etc. and how to ride in pace lines.  I blame the gradual introduction of exotic frame materials like titanium and then CF and high, high end components for much of this behavior as well as an elitist mindset.

Couple of examples:  Ten-to-twelve years ago a local club based in a Western suburb of Chicago used to sponsor a century ride centered in the next county to the West of here.  All of a sudden it was no longer on the yearly ride roster; it just disappeared.  So, one day I spotted a couple riding through the park behind my house while I was out there with the Ram doing the annual post-Winter maintenance shakedown.  They stopped near me, wowed by the Ram and so we struck up a conversation.  When I found out that they were members of that local club I asked about the demise of that annual century ride their club had sponsored.  The guy said, "You know all of those baked goods, paper cups of trail mix, etc. that were available to registered riders at the sag stops?  Well, those were all voluntarily made by members of the club so the money from the registration for the ride all went directly to the club's treasury."  "So?" I said.  He said, "Well, as it turned out, the club's treasury wound up with a lot of money in it.  During club meetings arguments broke out over how to use the money.  The racing crowd wanted all of it to go toward "their" club racing jerseys; others disagreed and the end result was a cancellation of the annual century and a general break-up of the club membership."

Another example involved training rides of racer-types through a very picturesque and hilly Indianapolis cemetery, ideal for a criterium course.  The groups became so arrogant and condescending that they had their rides while funeral services were being held, often riding directly through groups of mourners.  The cemetery finally had to put a stop to it, limiting the availability of the property's drives.

I could go on and on about how these attitudes reflect on the general state of our culture nowadays, but it would likely devolve into remarks that would force the moderator to nuke most of the comments.  Anyway, that's my two-cents on the matter.

Max S

May 18, 2022, 4:36:51 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
As with everything, there can be good reasons for certain practices initially, but people forget those reasons, and there's a slide... I can't speak for what / how a given set of locals is doing it. My personal experience with club rides has been overwhelmingly positive, whether it's for fun rides around the area, or training for racing. I was just describing that there are reasons strangers used to doing things in a particular way may be somewhat apprehensive about someone showing up and doing things in a radically different way. Nowadays I ride with 1-3 other people most of the time, they're non-racers, we don't do pacelines, but sometimes we like to go a bit faster than "party pace" – it's all good! :-)

- Max "smoke break over" in A2

Eric Daume

May 18, 2022, 5:16:45 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
How again do exotic frame materials bring about bad manners in club riding? I'm really not seeing a causal relationship there.

Eric
pretty much the same regardless of what frame material I ride

George Schick

May 18, 2022, 5:29:32 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, Eric, on what else would you blame the bad manners in club riding other than "We've got our CF racing bikes ready to go and 'who are you?' coming into our regular bike formations bringing this relaxed steel bike frame bike?" Wouldn't you think it welcoming to any and all who wanted to ride along as acceptable?  What about if the likes of Freddy Hoffman who might've decided to ride with that group, someone who would likely leave everyone else far behind?

Eric Daume

May 18, 2022, 6:34:47 PM5/18/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Would Leah have been treated differently if she showed up on a steel IF club racer?  What about a carbon platypus, if there were such a thing?

The frame material doesn’t matter. Her bike style was unusual, and that seemed to bring out some attitude from some club members. To attribute that to the frame material seems like a huge leap.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/61565e88-7a5c-4dda-a679-d38ce45189dan%40googlegroups.com.

George Schick

May 18, 2022, 6:53:20 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well again, Eric, there's this social dynamic known as "mob behavior" is there not?  That is, "... you are not like the rest of us, but you want to behave like the rest of us are inferior to what we already have as known and acceptable standards (be that frame material, road bike-like design, etc.), which therefore makes you look like an outlier and either equal to or superior to the rest of us, especially if you drop out of a pace line in order to chase down and beat a faster rider?  What other behavior would you expect from a group like that under those circumstances?

Joe Bernard

May 18, 2022, 6:54:36 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My one and only attempt at a paceline was on a Romulus with drop bars, nobody thought my bike was different from their's, it looked like a road bike. Leah got hit for being on a pullback bar mixte cuz it didn't fit a stupid norm someone expected.

PS. Holy cow I was slow on that ride! Never again ✋

Garth

May 18, 2022, 8:18:58 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The funny thing about "proving" myself is that the very act of "proving" only validates the very ass-umption that prompted the proving in the first place. To improve myself accepts I am already dis-proven. To build myself assumes I am already broken, incomplete. It's self-deprecation, circular nonsense . In a group setting, like competitions, it's a bit like Tom, Jerry and spike beating each other and themselves silly. "Vengeance is mine ! .... and mine is yours ..... and everyone else's ! ... crap !"

In the blame-game everybody gets a beating except the game itself. Only the game wins. "Who me ? I'm just a blame-game, I didn't start anything .....I'm innocent !"  ((((( laughing ))))

The sun is always shining dontcha know .... regardless of that the clouds may say.

I love this song ... There is No Darkness, by Beth Nielsen Chapman.

There is no darkness .... there is no night .... there is no place in Earth or in space ... without the Light.
The great Illusion .... our Eyes can't see .... there in no no darkness .... in you or Me.

The funny thing is, just like your group rides Leah, there may be "someone" reading this and snookering under their breath at all of this.
(((( smiling ))))
and so what ? !
(((( laughing heartily ))))
Hey .. who's "they" anyway ?  ... and who's who, who keeps asking all these questions ? !
Teeheee ..... the jolly gob-smakin' rollin'-on-the-floor wisdom of "no escape" !  aka ... Indivisibility :)
family-tom-and-jerry.gif

Joe Bernard

May 18, 2022, 9:42:40 PM5/18/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
There is darkness and there is light. True fact.

Leah Peterson

May 21, 2022, 3:29:29 PM5/21/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Toshi, YES, this was what I meant at the end of my post. Mine is but a fraction of the persecution that others face, so I can surely weather this. I am sorry to hear of your poor treatment, especially in the Midwest where folks are supposed to be inherently nice. I’m so happy to hear you are of Japanese descent. My 16 y.o son is learning Japanese (self-taught, with the help of an app) and hoping to study in Japan for some of his time in college. I love that he calls us HaHa and ChiChi (sp?).

Patrick, a mensch? I don’t know what it is, but I’m sure I’ve been called worse. I hope it means “goofball.”

Joe, if it stops being fun, I’ll quit. Coincidentally, tonight is the 50th anniversary party of the club’s existence. FIFTIETH! It’s dinner and a walk down memory lane. I’m going in normal clothes and am anxious to see everyone else off the bike without the gear. We can all be normal people together. Equal playing field. Wonder if folks will be more friendly?

Leah

Joe Bernard

May 21, 2022, 3:48:04 PM5/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mensch in the dictionary: a person of integrity and honor. I agree with Patrick that you are certainly this!

Please let us know how the normal clothes celebration went. I'm very curious!

Patrick Moore

May 22, 2022, 10:51:49 AM5/22/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Mensch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch

"Standup (gal)."

Jay LePree

May 22, 2022, 1:48:16 PM5/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah:  It is Jay LePree with the Lime Olive Platy by Analogue.  I am late to this thread so pardon if I repeat things written already.  Always good to meet new riders and see their set ups.  I have lived in North Eastern NJ for the past 25 years.  We are the area of Carbon Fiber racers.  However, I think thanks to the influence of BikeSnob NYC, all are becoming more receptive of to do bikes rather than to go bikes.  I have received many complements on my bike in the last year which was not always the case.  In all you do...have fun and you won't go wrong .

Kind regards,

Jay

Leah Peterson

May 23, 2022, 11:27:49 PM5/23/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The latest in the club ride saga:
2 Riv Riders on the Monday Night Ride

Poor Marc. Ever since I moved here, that Lone Wolf has been tasked with showing the new kid around town. He got conned into taking me on the bikeways and was forced to listen to all my effusions of wonder over the landscape. Including but not limited to: swamps, streams, roadkill, flowering trees, and bridges.

After months of missing one another on the MNR, we got on the same ride. Two lugged steel Rivendells amongst a hoarde of carbon machines.

“Let’s take a picture!” I said.

“No,” he said flatly.

“But we’re the Riv Riders! Grant will love this!” I insisted.

It nearly killed him, but before he could further protest, I recruited David to snap our photo. David, like any good man, took exactly one photo that made me look like I had rabbit teeth.

I thought Marc might stomp me with his Sam, but he submitted to one more photo attempt.

1. Pictured: a Lone Wolf with the irritating new kid in town. Posing here against his will, but trying to cooperate.

2. Bonus photo. David, being funny as the photographer, showing the irritating new kid in town adjusting her eternally crooked helmet in her rear view mirror before the photo while the Lone Wolf looks on, disapprovingly.

You can read the Lone Wolf’s lamentations of me here: http://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com/2022/05/stranger-in-strange-land.html?m=1

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2022, at 1:48 PM, Jay LePree <jayml...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Leah:  It is Jay LePree with the Lime Olive Platy by Analogue.  I am late to this thread so pardon if I repeat things written already.  Always good to meet new riders and see their set ups.  I have lived in North Eastern NJ for the past 25 years.  We are the area of Carbon Fiber racers.  However, I think thanks to the influence of BikeSnob NYC, all are becoming more receptive of to do bikes rather than to go bikes.  I have received many complements on my bike in the last year which was not always the case.  In all you do...have fun and you won't go wrong .

Patrick Moore

May 24, 2022, 1:05:17 PM5/24/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Leah's Excellent Platypus Adventures. I foresee a series like Eloise but with a bike and the protagonist (slightly) older. Eloise is a mensch.

At least a coffee table book.

Speaking of Eloise (and this connection only clicked after I wrote the above; I didn't write the above just to show this image), this from Bike Snob some years ago, which I saved because it it so precious: Eloise and a bike connection.

Apologies to the thin skinned.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/E152A680-14C2-4E17-B7B8-2B31B12B2391%40gmail.com.

Patrick Moore

Eloise and Citibike.jpg

Garth

May 24, 2022, 5:57:58 PM5/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't think there's any truly strange places or people ... more like .... things about ourselves we always know and choose to "forget" "in the moment" Maybe the better term would be "dis-member", in order to "re-member" ourselves.
Like a game of hide-and-go-seek !
Boo !
Who's there ?
Me !
Me Who ?
Me Too !
Me and Me makes a Weeeeeeee !

Keep ridin' the Purple Pony Leah !
I know, you're likely cringing like Marc in the photo over me calling your bike a Purple Pony..... but .... oh ... that's enough for now.  It's meant as a form of endearment if the sentiment gets lost in the word salad speak.

Jim Bronson

May 24, 2022, 6:42:13 PM5/24/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well in that case, if you want to take the red pill, it is here:  https://www.rusa.org

;)

Jim
austin suburbs, TX

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 9:10 AM Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

signature goes here

Joe T

Leah Peterson

May 30, 2022, 6:02:02 PM5/30/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

This thread has been so fun for me to write, but I keep thinking, what really else is there to say? We have covered the bases by now; we wondered if a Raspberry Platypus could become a Racing Platypus, considered the controversy, battled insecurities, confronted our (my) own preconceived ideas, learned some new things from the racers. It’s been an adventure for me, and thank you! But today, wouldn’t you know, I’ve got another bit of conversation for your consideration.

Last week I realized my rear tire was dripping sealant. A myriad of tiny pin-prick holes that I have never noticed revealed themselves as my Racing Platypus hung, inert on the wall. The only reason I caught it was that my poor Shopping Platypus below it was catching the dripping sealant. Below: left, front tire, with its tread still decent. Right, the rear tire, wet and holey and with very worn tread.

image0.jpeg

Turns out, the tire is toast. The rubber is thin enough that it is not holding the sealant, and it is leaking through in minuscule holes and tears. I never thought it would be worn out already - I’d never have checked. I can’t tell you how many miles it took to make this happen because I don’t track miles per bike - I just have a running total of ridden miles. And between 2021-present, that number is…well, never mind, because the calculator app crashed and I’m not totaling them up again. BUT, the tires are only a year and a few month old! I got 5 years out of the Betty Foy tires before I sat next to it one day and noticed this:
image2.jpeg

The bike shop had nothing as wide or even close as the 44 mm tires on the Racing Platypus, and the Ultradynamico tires I ultimately settled on haven’t yet shipped. I hope they’re good! I got the gray 42 mm Cava Race.

But what am I going to take to club rides this week? I can’t see taking the Racing Platypus without new tires. The other contenders: A 2019 Rivendell Clem L and the 2020 Shopping Platypus. Both are heavy. Neither is set up for speed. Good grief, look at these two:

image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

You are thinking, just strip the Shopping Plat and ride that. Ah, but the lights are attached to the racks, so those stay and they are HEAVY. That Platypus is the heaviest of my trio! I can strip bags, but how much does that really help? The gearing is different on it; it is a 1x and the gearing is not as “right” as my Racing Plat. I don’t have technical terms for this - I can only say that the Rivendell drive train always gives me the “right” gear - the Shopping Plat often feels too hard or too easy. I don’t want to be fiddling around with that while chasing club riders. But that isn’t even the deal-killer for me…

It’s that basket.

Listen, I have weathered the silent prejudice as I wheeled the Racing Platypus to the huddle. The Saddlesack and Billie Bars always invoke judgment in this scenario, but a BASKET. I don’t think I can do it.

That leaves the Clem. A bike that Grant, while extolling its virtues and its versatility, said, “Just don’t take it on your club rides or anything.” The Clem, with its ultra-high and proud Bosco Bars and its step-through, beefy frame. I shudder to think of what they will think. I don’t even know how fast I can ride it. I think maybe fast because it was my only bike during 2020 and I rode it hard. But, it is unproven at club rides and I’ve got hesitation.

I don’t know which bike to take for certain, but you are free to send your advice and/or regards.
Leah

Wesley

May 30, 2022, 8:35:24 PM5/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
In my opinion, take the Clem. Just because it is the more beautiful bike (again, IMO.) However, you may consider taking a tire or the entire rear wheel off of either one, and swapping it onto the racing Platy for a little while.
-W

Joe Bernard

May 30, 2022, 8:58:38 PM5/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think the Clem is the way. Maybe you're a little slower this week and they can wait a minute, maybe Leah Peterson is a maniac who's just as fast on a Clem! Let's find out!!!

Doug H.

May 30, 2022, 9:06:56 PM5/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another Clem vote here. They've seen a Platypus so show them another Rivendell beauty.
Doug

Mojo

May 31, 2022, 12:09:27 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"A Clem" https://youtu.be/lmWFrMq3qNY?t=1194
from the future past

Joe

Ray Varella

May 31, 2022, 12:16:13 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Take your Clem, ride with the slower group if need be.
I rode mine for about 3 hours today and enjoyed every minute of it.

Ray

Ian A

May 31, 2022, 12:18:58 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

"I don’t know which bike to take for certain, but you are free to send your advice and/or regards"

Hi Leah

Always enjoyable to read of your adventures. You can ride your racing Platy if you borrow a tire from one of the other bikes.

IanA Alberta Canada

Joe Bernard

May 31, 2022, 1:28:39 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update to my advice, I also send my regards! 🙋‍♂️

Bill Schairer

May 31, 2022, 8:19:49 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Swap a tire from one of the other bikes?

Bill S
San Diego

lconley

May 31, 2022, 8:32:15 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would put a tube in the Racing Platypus tire, possibly from one of the other bikes if you don't have a spare.

Laing

Eric Daume

May 31, 2022, 8:37:20 AM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is the tire still holding pressure? Then the sealant is doing its job and it’s probably good for another ride. I wouldn’t try this with a front tire, but on the rear I’m a sunny optimist.

Eric
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Richard Rose

May 31, 2022, 9:02:43 AM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of thoughts after doing a sub24 bikepacking trip over the weekend. I used a front basket & rear rack / panniers. This bike is HEAVY loaded. But it could still fly. On Sundays return trip the pace picked up a little bit. Of course all the bikes were loaded but at one point, on a particularly beautiful stretch of road, I was just off the front of the group. Up the road I spotted a single “roadie”. I admit to falling into bad habits - I chased him down. I relaxed as I caught him trying not to be too obnoxious but it just felt so good to really dig in on the loaded Clem.
Regarding tires; my Clem came with Schwalbe G1 tires - 2.25” or 55mm, set up with tubes. I wanted to try something lighter but the RH Juniper Ridge are $$$. James @ Analog suggested the Gravelking SS 1.9” or 48mm tires. I picked up a pair for the price of one RH tire. They are really nice. But, I went tubeless & now regret that decision. Suffice it to say that not only did the tubeless fail me big time but I will spent the better part of today removing sealant from the bike, bags & more. And some of my riding friends unfortunate enough to be behind me are cleaning their bikes too. Going back to tubes.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2022, at 8:37 AM, Eric Daume <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is the tire still holding pressure? Then the sealant is doing its job and it’s probably good for another ride. I wouldn’t try this with a front tire, but on the rear I’m a sunny optimist.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAHFNW5BRd7Qao%2B5C9kMdVujULgzj4Nmp8z3Uf76jz%2BXhAP%3Dr2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

jeffrey kane

May 31, 2022, 10:01:10 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great stories, as usual - I'm pretty sure I remember suggesting that you should consider converting that ol' Betty Foy into your drop bar go-fast bike a long time back ...

Jingy

May 31, 2022, 10:06:56 AM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another option is to skip the group ride this week and lone wolf it.
Jim

Leah Peterson

May 31, 2022, 2:23:41 PM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
All good options, everyone. Except the ones that suggested I skip this week because I am definitely going.

 I’ll ride the women’s ride tonight (this group tends to be pretty fast, maybe 16 mph but often up at 18 or 19 when they really get a flat stretch) and I am taking….my Clem. 😱 I miss it, and it deserves a good, hard ride like we had in 2019-2020, when we tore through the desert, just the two of us. Flashback to 2,000 miles with it in 2020:
image0.jpeg

This is maybe a huge mistake because it is a sweltering 88 degrees, humid, and I have eaten a lot of crap over Memorial Day Weekend. I spent the weekend at a  family fishing tournament and not in the saddle, so I’m not in fighting form. But, I love a challenge. If I keel over on my bike tonight and you read about it in the paper, just know that I went out spectacularly.

Leah

On May 31, 2022, at 10:07 AM, Jingy <indepthin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Another option is to skip the group ride this week and lone wolf it.

JohnS

May 31, 2022, 2:35:18 PM5/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good luck and hope it goes well. I'm planning on doing a group ride this evening and it's supposed to be a hot one as well, plenty of fluids!

JohnS

Doug H.

May 31, 2022, 2:42:34 PM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Represent all the Clem's out there in the wild.
Doug

Leah Peterson

May 31, 2022, 11:15:46 PM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Here’s my write-up from tonight’s Clubbing with the Clem. Attached in the next post (which makes this message too large) will also be a video (it’s funny) and a photo in case you can’t be bothered with goofball videos.

Clubbing with the Clem:

My Racing Platypus is in need of new shoes. Those shipped today, and I am not above praying that they arrive before Friday’s club ride.

I rode in the women’s group tonight, and they are the fastest group I ride with. People are getting used to the weird bikes I drag to club rides, but I thought this romantic step-through might be pushing it. “Isn’t that the bike you always ride?” one woman asked. 🙄

The choices: 8-12 mph, 15-16 mph or 17+. I fell in with the 15-16 group and the ride leader said, “My cyclometer isn’t working, so I might have trouble keeping the pace.”

Good, I thought. It is NINETY degrees, humid, and there is a 14 mph wind. And I’m on this here Clem, which is wider than the van I used to drive it here and probably as heavy.

The leader peeled out of the parking lot and hit a nice cruising speed of 18-20 mph!!!! My heart rate was immediately in the 180s and I thought, Leah you fool. Turn this Clem around right now and go home. But I had run my big mouth saying I was taking my Clem to a club ride, and now I was committed. The written words of Grant Petersen flitted through my mind. He was extolling the virtues of the Clem and then added, “But don’t take it on club rides or anything.”

And here I was. Doing the very thing - the only thing - that the bike’s creator never intended.

I panicked a little bit. My heart has this annoying thing it does where if I’m pushing too hard/stressed it will beat irregularly. I felt the little PACs start to flutter inside my chest. I drank more water and prayed not to die on my bike tonight since that would really mess up the pace for the group.

The winds were brutal, loud enough that it was hard to have conversation with the woman next to me. Ride leaders often switch on windy nights, but not this little dynamo. She pulled us along anywhere from 17-20 mph for much of that ride. We got stuck at a stop which put a 0.2 mile gap between us and the riders in front of us - I hate when that happens and I always rush to catch back up. But today it took me miles to close that gap.

We got to our halfway point where we hydrate/eat/admire each other’s accessories. “The best part of the ride is when we discuss the colors of our accoutrements,” I said.

The roadie next to me disagreed. “The best part of the ride is when we pull into the parking lot at the end.”

That gave me pause. Is that how people feel about rides? Because I usually enjoy myself so much - weather can be a bummer, sure, but I’ve yet to have a bad ride on my Platypus.

I often learn something on a ride. At the start, I was short of breath from working so hard and worrying about failure. I was using a lot of upper body. By the end, I was still except for legs and core and that seemed to propel me along without zapping my energy and breath. I wonder if that is a real phenomenon or if I made that up. Someone will know.

The Clem saw me safely home but I’m going to feel it in the morning. Still, I’m glad we did it. This bike has seen me through 2020 and the grief I expunged on it when we lost Dad. It was my only bike for that year and we rode nearly 3,000 miles together. And now, it has taken me on a club ride; though it was never intended for one. I said let’s go and it took me. That’s love.

Leah Peterson

May 31, 2022, 11:17:09 PM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Video.mov

Leah Peterson

May 31, 2022, 11:17:49 PM5/31/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Joe Bernard

Jun 1, 2022, 12:14:28 AM6/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
"... maybe Leah Peterson is a maniac who's just as fast on a Clem! Let's find out!!!"

We have our answer. 18-20mph. On a Clem!!!

Doug H.

Jun 1, 2022, 8:22:31 AM6/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is such a fun thread. I appreciate you sharing and your writing is good enough for a blog...hint, hint, hint. I'm wondering if the others in the group ride bikes from the big brands like Specialized, Giant, and Trek? I rode a carbon Giant Defy in group rides and I can relate to the woman who said the best part of the ride is the end. I did feel a sense of accomplishment when I finished a long group ride but honestly didn't really enjoy the rides. Thinking back now, I don't even think I noticed the scenery around us as we rode as I was leaned forward and just pedaling hard. I miss the comradery of those rides and am glad you found a group.
Doug

Leah Peterson

Jun 1, 2022, 9:01:24 AM6/1/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doug - you have it exactly right. They are on big brand bikes. All drop bars. All clipless. All carbon, I think. Here’s a photo someone took last night. I feel ok posting here because there’s nothing identifying about any woman in the group…except Lone Wolf Leah. One of these things is not like the others:
image0.jpeg

All the things you said, I feel. When I first started with the group I was in raptures. Routes I didn’t have to plan, riding with other bike people, feeling safer on the roads because I was in a group, seeing the gorgeous countryside here in SW Michigan, the camaraderie - these were all so intoxicating to me. But it has become something else for me now. Our route takes us around at least 2 lakes but I didn’t notice either one last night. It was eyes forward, pedaling with all I had to keep up. My body was taxed, but not in a good way (my fault for riding a bike not meant for fast road rides). And I was relieved at the end of the ride; it was enough just to have survived it. This is not fun, it is just accomplishment.

The best riding I do is going to a destination by bike. Preferably with a friend. The next best thing is running errands. Group rides are a distant 3rd.

Leah

On Jun 1, 2022, at 8:22 AM, Doug H. <dhansf...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is such a fun thread. I appreciate you sharing and your writing is good enough for a blog...hint, hint, hint. I'm wondering if the others in the group ride bikes from the big brands like Specialized, Giant, and Trek? I rode a carbon Giant Defy in group rides and I can relate to the woman who said the best part of the ride is the end. I did feel a sense of accomplishment when I finished a long group ride but honestly didn't really enjoy the rides. Thinking back now, I don't even think I noticed the scenery around us as we rode as I was leaned forward and just pedaling hard. I miss the comradery of those rides and am glad you found a group.
It is loading more messages.