My First Riv: Clem Smith Jr. L, it's all the way live

Matt Maceda

Mar 26, 2021, 10:44:22 PM3/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello! Long time Rivendell-liker, first time Riv-enjoyer. Thanks for letting me participate in the RBW group!
After a very short test ride on a mate's Clem L 59cm I knew I had to have one. Thanks to his Ebay saved search I am now an owner. This is my first ever Rivendell and I'm beginning to understand why they have such a dedicated following.
I have a second hand Clem L in size 59cm, with what seems to be a conservatively upgraded build (Velocity Atlas wheelset, barcons). After a short shakedown ride I was quickly giving the Clem "magic bike" status. I'm impressed and surprised at how responsive the front end feels, something I wasn't expecting out of the wheel size and overall length. The bike eats rough road and rolls like that fat ass boulder from Indiana Jones. It feels like riding around in an old Buick and you're listening to the intro to Lakeside - It's All the Way Live over and over.
I'm excited to ride this bike and to make it my own with bags, upgrades, and whatnot. I'll continue to update in this thread as time passes. Thanks for looking! pule
- Matt
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

brendonoid

Mar 26, 2021, 11:16:23 PM3/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats!
Best colour for a Clem IMHO. No need for upgrades with that perfect setup, only side-grades. Side-grades are half the fun though!

Matthew Williams

Mar 26, 2021, 11:40:41 PM3/26/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Welcome, Matt!

Your last photo--is that Malibu, or the Santa Monica Mountains?

<1.jpg><2.jpg><3.jpg><4.jpg>

<1.jpg><4.jpg><3.jpg><2.jpg>

Roberta

Mar 27, 2021, 7:08:28 AM3/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wonderful!  I hope you have many many happy miles. The magic of the Riv ride, ahhhhh.

EricP

Mar 27, 2021, 9:37:33 AM3/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Yea for you! These are special bikes, IMO. So far haven't even swung a leg over my Hillborne this year. Just enjoying the ride of my Clem. The bar end shifters are a change I hadn't even thought about.

When you get around to changing tires, try the Soma Cazadero that Rivendell sells. Seems to me it would be perfect for those trails. They do smooth out an already smooth ride.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Joel S

Mar 27, 2021, 12:02:33 PM3/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful, enjoy every ride and look at it often.

Evan E.

Mar 27, 2021, 6:48:47 PM3/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome, Matt! Beautiful Clem. If it's half as sweet as the bass line in "It's All the Way Live," then I think it's twice as nice as most other bikes.

phoenix

Mar 28, 2021, 1:29:50 PM3/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats, and welcome to the club. Those Clems look like a blast to ride, especially. Enjoy!

Matt Maceda

Mar 29, 2021, 7:24:00 PM3/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I'm having lots of fun with this bike.
MW- That last photo is just off of "Dirt Mullholland" looking southbound, I think between Sullivan and the missle silo.

Today I swapped the MAP bars from my Romanceur and installed a stem and Paul Thumbies I had in the parts bin. The bike is way more "shreddy" and it feels like a mountain bike on rough terrain. With the Boscos I felt like I had to ride gingerly and light at the hands so I wouldn't slam and make the bars slip downwards. I'm getting used to the very upright position so I had to swap over to a Selle Anatomica which feels much softer than the very unbroken-in B17 the bike came with. Excuse the plate of spaghetti at the bars; I wasn't sure what cockpit setup to go with long term but after today's ride the MAPs feel like a winner. Thanks again, RBW!

50997521254_cace8e447d_k.jpg51082444121_fbf39a930a_k.jpg51082536177_71be42bd1b_k.jpg

mm

Jan 18, 2023, 2:47:55 PM1/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welp, it's been a little under two years and I'm still very much in love with this bike. Dare I say favorite bike ever?  By far my favorite Riv ever; I had an orange Ram and a Toyo Homer since buying the Clem to chase the high but both didn't stick around too long.
I've enjoyed countless miles of big smile casual riding, errand running, and short loaded tours. In summation this bike shines because of how versatile it is. I've ridden other bikes with "do it all" intentions (cross bike w/ racks) but the handling had much to be desired; far too responsive on the front end and too uncomfortable/sketchy when loaded on the rear end. Clem L fulfills the ability to be loaded and ride well. I really don't have any interest in drop bar touring bikes at any capacity while I have Clem L.
Anywho, I just wanted to check in and share some iterations of the build, currently with a 1x12 transmission! I had a low-normal XT for a short time which was totally acceptable and novel. I think the best upgrade or change was the Sim Works Fun Bar 3 (RIP Terry Hall), I can't imagine going back to a bosco-type cockpit. If you're thinking about Clem L I highly suggest you CLEM IT UP. -Matt

52632307568_d17dede0d7_c.jpg
51274416243_3a37f1c90e_c.jpg51273225695_70bd27b36c_c.jpg52492573337_a65168034f_c (1).jpg52303354108_fca2254841_c.jpg52283682710_42d1a82bf8_c.jpg51963057161_323262246a_c.jpg

lucky...@gmail.com

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jan 18, 2023, 6:18:59 PM1/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
So fun to read your almost 2-year-recap of your relationship with this Clem. I know how you feel; Clems are great bikes and so comfortable. I was so glad when Riv decided Clems would be exclusively step-thrus - it nudged a lot of folks towards trying a step-thru for the first time, and I think most Clem owners fell in love with that feature. Your Clem screams READY. Have allll the adventures on it, in perfect comfort and total class. And don’t forget to post about them here.

Happy riding!
Leah

Mackenzy Albright

Jan 19, 2023, 12:15:57 PM1/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I came across your Clem a while back when I started thinking about getting one, both it and Dominic's build on the riv blog made me decide to rid my romanceur and get a Clem. I eventually found an orange 59 clementine and haven't looked back. It's a lifetime bike and every time I ride it it is a joy!

Thanks for sharing the updates! Looks good as ever.

Jason Fuller

Jan 20, 2023, 2:20:13 PM1/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
There is little more satisfying than seeing how a much-loved bike has changed over a couple years, with signs of use increasing. Really appreciate the update - it looked great at the start, and even better now.

While I don't have any regrets with the bikes I've built over the past few years, I can't help but wish I had picked up a 52cm Clem L back when I got my 45 H (which proved to be a bit too small, and a bit stiffer than I wanted) as I can see how immensely useful it would be for me. Alas, I can't fit more bikes and don't want to sell the ones I have!