Advice on Onyx Hubs

Elijah Bernstein-Cooper

Sep 29, 2020, 12:07:14 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would like to build a rear wheel for my 2020 Atlantis with an Onyx hub. I am debating between their newer Vesper model and older model. My priority is a durability over weight, within reason.

Onyx has a new model out, Vesper, which is apparently lighter than their older model by 200g. However I don't mind a little extra weight and I'd prefer to have a more sturdy hub.

Does anyone have insight into if the reduced weight in the newer Vesper model sacrificed any durability?

Bill Lindsay

Sep 29, 2020, 2:19:19 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can't help with the requested advice, but I can say I would regard a $450-$500 rear hub an unnecessary extravagance on a 2020 Atlantis.  I'd buy a FH-M737, unless I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Garth

Sep 29, 2020, 2:53:36 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

   Elijah, The weight savings from a complete redesign of the internals and an alloy freehub, according to this :

Nick Payne

Sep 29, 2020, 5:57:45 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You know that the 135mm OLN model only comes as a disc hub? The non-disc hubs are all 130mm. I have one of the older models on a gravel bike, and it has been perfectly reliable. I do like the completely silent freehub, which is the reason I bought it. Other than that the new model has swapped from stainless steel to aluminium for the freehub (not a plus, in my opinion), I don't know anything about the newer model.

Nick

Victor Hanson

Sep 29, 2020, 6:09:31 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd say either.  Much like the early days of Phil Wood, Onyx has an impeccable reputation for quality.   Greater question why Onyx?  If  you can afford it great, but the DT Swiss, with the 36t ratchet assembly is $350 and represents stellar value.

VTW

VIctor R. Hanson
Gen Mgr
Schmier Industrial Properties

Joseph Willms

Sep 29, 2020, 6:09:31 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got some Onyx road hubs on my road bike from before they offered the Vesper. The one thing I will tell you is that Onyx hubs are built to last forever, and I don't think they'd ever put anything out there that won't. If I were you, I'd just email them directly at sa...@onyxrp.com and see what they tell you. They've always been good at getting back to me pretty quickly and answering any and all questions I've ever had.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get. It'll definitely be noticeable climbing and not having the sound of pawls hitting their engagement points is pretty awesome too IMO.

Joe

Victor Hanson

Sep 29, 2020, 6:09:43 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

If that's the XT series I absolutely agree, the bearings are bomber and you cannot run it into the ground.
VTW

Philip Williamson

Sep 29, 2020, 11:45:26 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Funny, I just ordered a 135 QR Vesper for rim brakes. The Vesper is the only 135 rim brake option, according to the person I talked to on the phone. That option is not on their website, which stumped me for years. I just told them today, "Take it off the secret menu and put it on the website, so Rivendell riders can buy them."

I don't imagine the Vesper gives anything up in durability, since Peter Verdone buys them for his mountain bikes, and if he broke one the whole world would know. I like the looks of the classic ones a little more, but the Vesper isn't any weirder looking than a SON Wide Body. I chose Onyx over any other hub, because I want the quiet running and the high engagement. I rode one a little bit, and liked it a lot. It's unique.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

James / Analog Cycles

Sep 30, 2020, 10:03:12 AM9/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Vesper has a single sprag clutch, the classic hub has two.  If you ride hard, weigh more than 170, ride loaded, etc, just get the heavier one.  We've had no durability issues with either hub, but then, we spec the hubs to the riders.  They are the best engineered hubs on the market.  Silent, actual instant engagement, but more importantly the drive mechanism is behind a set of sealed bearings and a labyrinth seal, not behind some little rubber o ring.  DT hubs have fine engagement, but they have a critical flaw.  The smallest, fastest wearing bearing in the hub is in the freehub body, and it's not supposed to be user serviceable.  If you do get it out, (which is possible) you will spend loads of time swearing.  Yes, DT covers it under warranty, but they do so. just by sending you a whole new freehub body.  That's kinda nuts.  I bet that most DT hub riders stick their finger in their hub, feel the outer bearings, think: that feels fine, and go on riding with a crummy, crushed, little freehub bearing.  I've never taken one apart that was more than 2 years old and had actually been ridden, that didn't have a bad freehub bearing.

The best hub out there is the Onyx IMO, followed by the under rated Bitex touring hub, which is as good as any hub is going to get for under 150 bucks.

-James / Analog Cycles / Wheel Builder for the past 20+ years.

Elijah Bernstein-Cooper

Sep 30, 2020, 2:16:36 PM9/30/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh my, I was not paying attention to the disc only for 135mm. I guess these Onyx hubs will have to wait for another bike. The silence and engagement sound magical.

Onto other hubs then... the silence and durability is what I'm most after, I won't be doing any super technical bike packing on this bike. The pickings are pretty slim right now for Shimano hubs. Would a T610 deore hub do alright?

Thanks all for the help!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CACu%3D%3DCXCYrUZLLfq-ZKtDx60cJMKg%2BP6wVPJZwUEwh9NtffWjA%40mail.gmail.com.

masmojo

Oct 5, 2020, 9:50:52 PM10/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you looked at the Velo Orange hubs? I had a rear on my recently departed Atlantis and I was quite happy with it,  Much less money than the Oynx, but you don't get fancy colors,