Get This Man A Rivendell

Steve Cole

Dec 3, 2019, 8:49:44 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
This photo appeared in today's Washington Post in a brief story about the snowstorm that hit the Northeast yesterday. I love the bike.  Other than two different sized wheels, it could easily be a Rivendell -- steel frame, basket up front, fenders, etc.  I love it.

Manonbike.jpeg

Steven Sweedler

Dec 3, 2019, 9:05:23 AM12/3/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty similar to the Schwinn Cycle Truck, I think its a fairly common design of an early cargo bike. Steve

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:49 AM Steve Cole <cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
This photo appeared in today's Washington Post in a brief story about the snowstorm that hit the Northeast yesterday. I love the bike.  Other than two different sized wheels, it could easily be a Rivendell -- steel frame, basket up front, fenders, etc.  I love it.

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Bob Lovejoy

Dec 3, 2019, 10:09:34 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
And a modern, artful and available version... https://www.ahearnecycles.com/cycletruck

Not to say the rider's bike is not artful because it is.  With a disc up front, v-brakes in the rear, it makes me think there was some tinkering and work going on.  Oh, and I am assuming low trail(!), though planing would probably be more of a problem than a feature.

Cool bikes!

Bob Lovejoy
Soon to be back in Galesburg, IL!

Joe Bernard

Dec 3, 2019, 10:27:08 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a Virtue with a front disc conversion. Which is a pretty interesting company..all Made In China I'm sure, but really cool bikes.

https://www.virtuecycles.com/collections/bikes/products/virtue-truck

David Bivins

Dec 3, 2019, 10:48:03 AM12/3/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would bet it's the owner or an employee of Around Town Bicycles in Wilkes-Barre. That's obviously an advertisement for the shop in the frame.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:27 AM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like a Virtue with a front disc conversion. Which is a pretty interesting company..all Made In China I'm sure, but really cool bikes.

https://www.virtuecycles.com/collections/bikes/products/virtue-truck

Bill Lindsay

Dec 3, 2019, 10:50:17 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rivendell themselves endorse buying a Crust cargo fork for your old mountain bike cargo conversion:

$250 for that fork is a great deal, IMO

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Jason Fuller

Dec 3, 2019, 3:58:55 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a Soma Tradesman, too.

Mark Roland

Dec 3, 2019, 9:35:33 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It certainly seems to be popular. Every time I have money to buy one it's out of stock.

Drw

Dec 3, 2019, 11:08:06 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I cannot endorse the crust cargo fork more highly. It’s actually opened up venues of riding and erranding that I didn’t fully realize bikes could do in a convenient way. Also it rides exceptionally normal.
That said, by the time you install with a new wheel/tire/brakes/basket etc, you’ll be wayyyy over 250$

Bill Lindsay

Dec 5, 2019, 3:42:02 PM12/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drw said "by the time you install with a new wheel/tire/brakes/basket etc, you’ll be wayyyy over 250$"

In my case, I decided to convert a late-1990s mountain bike into a college beater for my son.  The bike was "free".  It was an aluminum Specialized with a shock.  3x9 drivetrain, rim brakes.  For the conversion I chose:

a rigid front fork: $90 at Jenson
a simworks potluck front rack: $198 (but I already had it)
Wald medium basket: $20
Sackville Shopsack: $70
Solid bolt/on front and rear axles: $70 from Wheels Manufacturing (but I already had them)
My labor: $free

So for the value of $448 I converted a decent mountain bike into a far more useful utility college bike.

In retrospect I could have done a

Crust cargo fork: $245
BMX front wheel: $50 (guessing used from a BMX shop or other sources)
Wald Huge basket: $24
Solid rear axle: $35 (since the front would already be bolt-on)

For $354 I could have made a cargo bike.  It would have been over $100 cheaper if I had the foresight.

Given that a Pass and Stow porteur rack is $280, it makes that cargo fork again really attractive.  Now if you started with an early 90s rigid mountain bike, then you don't have to buy a fork to make it utility.  If you run the WALD paperboy rackless setup, then perhaps you don't have to buy a good rack.

My point is that the price of the project depends on where you start and where you want to end up, but $245 for a fork PLUS a bomber cargo rack is a steal.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Drw

Dec 5, 2019, 6:48:49 PM12/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think that’s overly optimistic pricing, but I guess it depends on what you have at hand and what parts you want new. I wasn’t shooting for a lowest common denominator build, but nothing fancy either. Wheel, tire, tube, brake, cables, qr + converting threaded to 1” threadless = new stem, spacers etc. the big wald is about 50$ unless you find a great deal somewhere. It adds up fast.

Drw

Dec 5, 2019, 7:04:45 PM12/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also not saying it isn’t a good deal. It is. It just ended up over 2x the price to get it functioning on a bike. Ive actually been keeping an eye out for another one to hoard. It’s that good of a product.

Joe Bernard

Dec 5, 2019, 7:23:01 PM12/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It definitely matters how much stuff you already have hanging around. The Crust fork primarily - in my opinion - exists for people who already have an old mtb wasting away in the garage in need of a new mission.

Oddly, I have a new 20" disc front wheel wasting away that was left over from an abandoned recumbent adventure. I'll bet I could spend a BUNCH of money building a Crust-fork cargo bike around it!

Bill Lindsay

Dec 5, 2019, 7:46:30 PM12/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
yes, if you start with a Rivendell with 1" threaded then there's more stuff to buy.  My Specialized was already 9/8" threadless and already had a front brake, so I wouldn't have needed a stem, brake or headset.  My $24 Huge Wald line item was the bigger one Rivendell sells.  If I really did a Crust fork I might just bolt a leather barcalounger to it.  Or a keg.

BL