Closest geared Riv to QuickOne?

Eric Karnes

May 10, 2019, 12:21:16 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The SimpleOne up for sale (someone snatch it up!) brought up a question: What's the closest geared Riv to the Quickbeam / SimpleOne? The Rambouillet? Hilsen? Can anyone with experience comment on the ride quality between the single (or double) speeds and the closest geared cousin?

Eric
Message has been deleted

Craig Montgomery

May 10, 2019, 1:58:47 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Although Rivs can be bought as complete bikes I think most people buy the frames and fix them up to their needs.

Craig in Tucson

Garth

May 10, 2019, 5:35:39 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

I believe Eric is inquiring as to another Riv frame that has a similar ride quality to the QB, independent of any gearing method.  Just the frame itself.

Dave Small

May 10, 2019, 6:05:28 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, that's his question.

I'm not the font of Riv-knowledge that others on this forum are, but I have a Quickbeam, a Simpleone, and a Hilsen, and I lovelovelove the QB and the Hilsen and think their ride qualities are similar.  I don't know if they should be similar---seems to me the Hilsen should be a bit stouter---but to me they feel similar.

Dave

ted

May 10, 2019, 9:50:37 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dave, how do you find your SO different from your QB and AHH?

Eric Karnes

May 10, 2019, 10:03:59 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Exactly.

Eric

Dave Small

May 11, 2019, 11:24:55 PM5/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Ted,

The SO doesn't seem to sync with me quick as well as the QB or the AHH.  When I ride the QB or AHH I think I'm riding the perfect bike, but the SO is just good.  I think the most likely reason for the difference is the tires.  The builds of all 3 and my positions on all 3 are similar---all have drop handlebars that are even with or just slightly above the saddle---but I have 38mm Compass tires on the QB, cream 35mm Delta Cruisers on the SO, and Jack Brown greens on the Hilsen.  The Compass tires came on the QB and it's my first experience with them, but their feel on the QB has made me think there might be something valid behind all the hype.  The SO and QB are at different locations so I can't compare them side-by-side or experiment with tire swaps, or else I'd do that to test my hypothesis.

Dave

Dave Small

May 11, 2019, 11:27:52 PM5/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
"quite," not "quick" above.  I wish there were a way to correct these minor errors after posting, other than this way.

Dave

ted

May 12, 2019, 1:29:27 AM5/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Dave.

James Warren

May 12, 2019, 2:52:52 AM5/12/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Owning Ram, Atlantis, AHH, and QB, I say QB without a doubt is closest to AHH.

On May 9, 2019, at 9:21 PM, Eric Karnes <epka...@gmail.com> wrote:

The SimpleOne up for sale (someone snatch it up!) brought up a question: What's the closest geared Riv to the Quickbeam / SimpleOne? The Rambouillet? Hilsen? Can anyone with experience comment on the ride quality between the single (or double) speeds and the closest geared cousin?

Eric

Message has been deleted

Christopher Murray

May 12, 2019, 12:55:07 PM5/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
When I bought my SO from Riv I had it painted a custom color (Hunqa green with cream details). Well, it came back from paint and Riv didnt have any SO decals. They called and asked if I'd be ok with it getting QB decals. They let me choose the headbadge. So I have a Riv-approved Quickbeam that is actually a Simpleone. I always took it to mean Riv didnt see a difference between the bikes and the name change was the result of the legal mumbo jumbo surrounding LOTR.

Sadly, due to some unforeseen life things it has never been built up.