Seeking rec's for short threadless stem with rise

Deacon Patrick

Jun 7, 2020, 3:37:26 PM6/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love my Wavy Bar better than Jones on my GBW, but want it higher/closer, like the Jones is, so wondering what inexpensive, quality stem options there are for short (5cm or less) and/or with rise.

Matt Rhodes

Jun 7, 2020, 7:11:47 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Patrick,

The Discord Components Cremee stem from Analog Cycles isn't inexpensive, but it checks the quality, short and riser boxes:

Not sure how nicely it will play with 25.4 (See Analog's comment) but it might be worth a look.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Message has been deleted

A. Douglas M.

Jun 7, 2020, 10:27:58 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon,

The challenge with this situation is finding a “Riv” like solution. When I had the same need as you, I was looking at a DMR Defy 50 stem. Threadless, 50mm (available in 35mm too) and 5mm of rise. It looks good in a robot CNC machined sort of way but not in a lugs and leather sort of way. Cost about $50 online.

Other than that I was looking at $125+ options from Paul, Crust (Nitto), or Analog. Too rich for a stem for me.

Best,

Aaron

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jun 7, 2020, 10:52:00 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Riv has a 60mm in the hi-riser threadless version and assuming the 6cm is measured parallel to the angle of rise like dirt drop quill stems it might be closer to 5cm +/- in total reach.
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/stems/products/nitto-hiriser-25-4-1-1-8-threadless-stem-16252?variant=12243558531183

Otherwise I have a short and stubby Dimension brand threadless stem in 31.8 I’d used with a Jones loop bar (so just need a shim for 25.4 or 26.0 bars) and they seem come in many lengths/sizes and might be worth seeking out to test fit before settling in something more costly.

Best,
Brian Cole
Message has been deleted

Grady Wright

Jun 8, 2020, 1:16:21 AM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
not exactly what you asked for but I'm going to share it anyway. 80mm with lots of rise. Nitto and has a 25.4 bar clamp. I have only seen this on Blue Lug but seems like people have had good experience ordering from them.

Garth

Jun 8, 2020, 5:00:28 AM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

This can raise your existing stem and it's inexpensive... and of all the threadless risers this one actually looks alright . You'll still need to use some spacers at full height of course. All this while still offering some vertical adjustemnt.

With that alone you may or may be able to keep your existing stem,

Also, Velo Orange has their Cigne arc style stem , 70mm is in stock. All of Crusts are out of stock.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 8, 2020, 5:05:08 PM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Garth, for the win! I'd forgotten to check Velo Orange. 7cm reach Cigne, on the way. I've already shifted back to the wavy bars, and their shallower angle feels much better. Lighter too. Thank you, Garth!

With abandon,
Patrick

A. Douglas M.

Jun 8, 2020, 5:36:06 PM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’d love to see pictures when you’re done, Deacon! I have a Cigne waiting on a drop bar 29er build but am interested in what they look like with upright bars.

Best,

Aaron

Garth

Jun 8, 2020, 6:14:06 PM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

  Hooray !  Glad to help .

Deacon Patrick

Jun 14, 2020, 9:21:29 PM6/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Velo Orange's Cigne stem arrived and today was my first ride with it. Wonderful! Grant designed GBW with Bosco bars in mind, and that is what my prototype arrived with. To ride single track this upright on good, solid geometry is transformative. I'll post more on this, as this deserves its own thread, but just wanted to follow up here. Thanks again for the tip, Garth!

With abandon,
Patrick