Thoughts on Rivendell cork grips

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 8:49:31 AM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do they add comfort?  Cork may not be that soft so I am curious.  I would like to use these on an albatross bar if they absorb shock (not a real issue and have some flex.  I currently have my bars wrapped in tape and shellacked,

Thanks
.

Drw

Jul 5, 2020, 10:38:16 AM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m not a big fan. They look gorgeous, but if you shellack them, they just feel like wood. If you don’t shellack them, they get beat up and dirty pretty quick.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 10:56:48 AM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I saw a thread talking about Varnish and U40 I think it was, but I could not find it on line. A friend who is fly fisherman does not use Varnish as was talked about but I have asked him to send me the name of the product he uses on the cork of his rods. Thanks

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Drw <drewbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m not a big fan. They look gorgeous, but if you shellack them, they just feel like wood. If you don’t shellack them, they get beat up and dirty pretty quick.

Justin Kennedy (Brooklyn, NY)

Jul 5, 2020, 11:06:03 AM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used them for years and loved them, but I've switched to ESI grips recently just to change things up. I put some new cork grips on my wife's new bike a few months ago. They're gorgeous and comfortable for commuting and leisure riding. They aren't soft but I wouldn't say they feel hard or uncomfortable in any way. The worst part IMO is you have to glue them on, which means if you have to change your levers, shifters, bells, etc. it can be a real pain in the ass and you have to essentially destroy the grips in the process.

Lucky

Jul 5, 2020, 12:15:56 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had them on a Cheviot and found them to be slippery.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 1:24:06 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Justin, thanks, I did not know about gluing them on.  Where in Brooklyn?  I grew up in Far Rockaway many years ago.

~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.
~~Thank you~~

Justin Kennedy

Jul 5, 2020, 1:46:18 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m in Ft Greene. Love biking to Rockaway but typically the opposite end, near Riis & Ft Tilden.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 1:52:00 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The eastern part of the peninsula Is not great, the middle and western end are doing great.  I moved away years ago, lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan  for a bit.  I am in MA now, quiet roads mostly.  Enjoy your rides.

aeroperf

Jul 5, 2020, 1:55:47 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I’ve had them for 5 years on my Sam with albatross bars.  For me, they are not too hard, and just the right size.  I really love them, and would hate to have to pull the bars or brake levers and destroy them.

I’ve asked three different fly fishermen what they put on the cork rod grips and they said either “fish guts” or “nothing”, so I’ve gone with “nothing”.  They’ve gotten a bit dirty and beat up in the 5 years, but I still get one or two compliments a year.

I suggest you get a set of the cheaper ones, made of shaped ground cork, and try them out before buying the Riv ones (made of stacked rings of cork).  End Zone or Dimension make some.  I've heard of ways to install them so you can get them off without destruction, but mine were glued.
If you like the feel, get the Riv ones, especially if you have bar-end shifters.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 2:18:22 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  A good friend who is a fly fisherman told just a little while ago he only uses U40.  I do use barend shifters, I wonder if I could avoid gluing them, if this might hold them in place,

aeroperf

Jul 5, 2020, 2:33:11 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

If you do not glue them, or double-sided tape them, the will tend to rotate on the bar.  I have a second set on a different bike that I haven’t firmly attached yet, and I didn’t realize how much torque you tend to put on a grip in normal riding.

If you find another way to attach, let us know.

Matt Beecher

Jul 5, 2020, 2:35:49 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I put cork grips on a bike and rode it yesterday. I cannot recall where I got them, but I’m not a fan, as they don’t feel very comfy. I doubt I will use them again.

Best regards,
Matt B in Oswego, IL

Scott McLain

Jul 5, 2020, 2:39:29 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joel,
I have used these when I ride my AHH with an Albatross bar.  I am back to drops for the time being.  I do not glue them on.  I use them with bar end silver shifters.  I use a single wrap of Newbaums over the grip and shifter cable and then put twine over that.  Then I shellac them.  I use clear shellac.  My wife also has them on her Betty Foy like this with no problem.

Having said all that.  I do think they are uncomfortable for any rides over 45 minutes or so.  I think it is a combo of the angle of my hands on the Albatross bar and the hardness of the grips.  I would recommend paddle grips.  Even the mountain bikers use them.

Best,
Scott

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 1:55 PM aeroperf <dore...@comcast.net> wrote:

I’ve had them for 5 years on my Sam with albatross bars.  For me, they are not too hard, and just the right size.  I really love them, and would hate to have to pull the bars or brake levers and destroy them.

I’ve asked three different fly fishermen what they put on the cork rod grips and they said either “fish guts” or “nothing”, so I’ve gone with “nothing”.  They’ve gotten a bit dirty and beat up in the 5 years, but I still get one or two compliments a year.

I suggest you get a set of the cheaper ones, made of shaped ground cork, and try them out before buying the Riv ones (made of stacked rings of cork).  End Zone or Dimension make some.  I've heard of ways to install them so you can get them off without destruction, but mine were glued.
If you like the feel, get the Riv ones, especially if you have bar-end shifters.

Joe Bernard

Jul 5, 2020, 2:41:04 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's no gription to be had without something applied inside there, they'll just spin around ahead of the bar-ends.

I'm not a fan, I prefer a softer clamp-on grip like Ergons but they don't play well with bar-end shifters.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 3:23:38 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott.  I ride for more than 45 minutes.  I generally fast the meaty part of my hands where the grips would be.  Right now I just have  tape on the ends that has had shellac applied.  It seems to work well.  Not broken, maybe leave well enough alone.  Do you tape over the whole grip or just the ends?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/c8bf7a47-89f7-4bb6-8fd4-37e41daaba7eo%40googlegroups.com.

Jul 5, 2020, 3:34:58 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like that cork grips are made of a natural material, but I tired them for about 5 seconds and thought, "no way." Much prefer super-grippy mountain bike grips of which there are many good ones, eg, the aforementioned Ergons, DMR deathgrips, etc. Riv sells the ESI Chunky, which some people like, but I found them too squishy and a pain to install. On the other hand, easy to cut, so might work well with bar ends.

Yankeebird

Jul 5, 2020, 3:45:47 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Love mine. Have used them for years on my Surly CC and now Cheviot with Albatross and Bosco bars.

They are coolish in the summer, and not-super-cold in the winter. I do not treat them or shellac them or anything, I let them get a little grimy from natural use, which makes even better.

My hands don't sweat nearly as much on them and they stay grippy.  I bought spares for future shortages. I tried other grips and always go back to the cork.
.

Tom Wyland

Jul 5, 2020, 5:40:16 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought they looked great, but were too hard for my "soft computer hands." They were also slippery when wet. I prefer the more spongy Velo Orange "cork blend grips" which are softer and can be mounted without glue. They are closed on the end, though, and require modification for use with bar-end shifters.

Paul Richardson

Jul 5, 2020, 7:14:11 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Had the same pair, sans shellac, on albatross bars on my Homer Hilsen for 9 years.  I find them supremely comfortable and they've only gotten better with age.

paul
takoma park, md.

Joel Stern

Jul 5, 2020, 8:09:19 PM7/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom

Andrew Turner

Jul 5, 2020, 9:17:44 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Was it just me or did cork grips hold on to your body heat remarkably warm, even in cooler weather? They're hands-down some of the prettiest grips you could use but I found I'm way too handlebar-curious to be trusted with such permanent grips. ESI grips have totally converted me. They absorb bumps well, never get slippery from sweat or rain like rubber grips (cork was also better than rubber) and most importantly, can be swapped around cleanly and quickly. I just wish they would release a tan/khaki color already!

Deacon Patrick

Jul 5, 2020, 9:40:17 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found cork grips to be a lovely idea that I could never get right, as others point out. To be fully functional, they need to be bare, but bare they go grungy. I ended up using raw cotton tape and changing it every year or so. Even grungy, it grips and feels good. A bit over a year ago, I switched to wrapping with leather and really like that best of all.

With abandon,
Patrick

Mike Packard

Jul 5, 2020, 11:22:02 PM7/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really like the RBW cork grips and found they hold up better than you might think even without shellac. I don't glue them on; they are tight enough on some bars to not slip. I'm also a fan of the Velo orange cork grips: https://velo-orange.com/collections/grips-wraps . I have the black ones which are quite soft compared to full-cork, when they wear out I'll get the natural cork ones. I like to cut the ends out and mount them backwards to provide a little ridge that feels good on the hands. See pic.

mike

IMG_2700.jpeg

DeeterDeeter

Jul 6, 2020, 1:53:28 AM7/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Joel,

Josh in Corona, Queens over here.

They look fantastic. Feel fine. Not too grippy, though.
I had an accident last summer which might've (and I mean MAYBE MAYBE) been avoided if my shellac'd cork grips weren't so smooth and slick.

After many years of riding them (touring, mostly commuting and riding around the city) I've switched to OURY grips.
The don't necessarily fall in line with the Riv aesthetic but they are grippy as hell and super comfy.

It's also nice to be able to remove the grips at some point. I still have a cockpit with cork grips set up partly because I didn't want to
destroy them in case I didn't like the OURY and partly because I wasn't sure I would love the bosco moose bars.

Spoiler alert: I love BOSCO MOOSE handle bars!!
Best of luck with whatever grips you go with!

Joel Stern

Jul 6, 2020, 7:31:19 AM7/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Josh, good info.

Joel Stern

Jul 6, 2020, 7:39:36 AM7/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
BTW, are they opened on both sides, I could not tell from the website. I use barend shifters.

Ginz

Jul 6, 2020, 9:12:26 AM7/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I would not say the cork grips add comfort.  In fact, I've found the "real" cork ones to be less shaped and comfortable than the cheaper "chopped and formed" ones than are available everywhere.  And I never ever ride them without gloves for grip.

As others have said, ESI silicone grips and Oury (now in lock on version!!) are my choices for comfort.  The cork is.... mostly for looks.

Joel Stern

Jul 6, 2020, 11:05:59 AM7/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gonzalez.  I always ride with gloves too.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM Ginz <the...@gmail.com> wrote:

I would not say the cork grips add comfort.  In fact, I've found the "real" cork ones to be less shaped and comfortable than the cheaper "chopped and formed" ones than are available everywhere.  And I never ever ride them without gloves for grip.

As others have said, ESI silicone grips and Oury (now in lock on version!!) are my choices for comfort.  The cork is.... mostly for looks.

Garth

Jul 8, 2020, 7:16:39 AM7/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

  I don't use bar end grips as I prefer as much usable bar space free as possible. On a Alba bar that is large range from bar end up to and over the curve, as I have bar end brake levers for unadulterated movement.. I use something like Cinelli Cork bar tape or any brand of similar. Sure it's not actually cork, but whatever it is it feels just right to me, never hot or cold, never too hard or soft, doesn't absorb water and you can double wrap it if you like. It's just a roll , you can wrap as much or little as you like and cut it, You're not limited by any certain size of grip. It's a breeze to roll back off as it is to roll back on.

DeeterDeeter

Jul 8, 2020, 12:03:56 PM7/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You gotta pop holes in the cork grips and the oury grips. I think riv has instructions on the website for shaping them. I’ve done it a few times and it was pretty easy. Just gotta be careful not to go too deep on the channel for the shifter cable.
I think I dry fit the oury grips and popped a hole for bar ends with a knife. It looked pretty dirty but the bar ends covered up the mess. Again you would want to make sure you line up channel in the grips for the shifter cable.

Here are some pics:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-2M-clU4iwFFYD3QQrMfEnTn8vrZx82x

DeeterDeeter

Jul 8, 2020, 12:05:00 PM7/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul! Miss ya, bud!

zybariver

Jul 8, 2020, 12:05:00 PM7/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had the composite (chopped up) type on Alba bars and found that using a layer of gaffers tape under them provided enough "tooth" to hold firm and I did not have to glue the grips.  Left mine unvarnished, but did use an oil (I think Obenaufs) that protected the cork a bit and soaked in so they were not slick.

Greg
Seattle

On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 8:06:03 AM UTC-7, Justin Kennedy (Brooklyn, NY) wrote:
I used them for years and loved them, but I've switched to ESI grips recently just to change things up. I put some new cork grips on my wife's new bike a few months ago. They're gorgeous and comfortable for commuting and leisure riding. They aren't soft but I wouldn't say they feel hard or uncomfortable in any way. The worst part IMO is you have to glue them on, which means if you have to change your levers, shifters, bells, etc. it can be a real pain in the ass and you have to essentially destroy the grips in the process.

DeeterDeeter

Jul 8, 2020, 12:05:01 PM7/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are some pics:

I've shaped a few sets of cork grips from riv. I think they have a tutorial video or at least detailed instructions on the site.
It's pretty easy if you take your time. Make sure you don't cut the shifter cable channel too deep or else the whole grip splits down the middle.

For the oury grips I just cut out a not too good looking hole in the back. The bar end shifter covers the hole pretty well. Check out the photos.

Joel Stern

Jul 8, 2020, 12:09:27 PM7/8/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
looks good

Ryan M.

Jul 9, 2020, 7:53:32 AM7/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had some cork grips on a set of alba bars years ago but never liked them. I found them too...delicate, I guess, and didn't really prefer the feel.

Now I'm using lock on grips in various colors and sizes from different companies that I have accumulated over the years. My favorite are some Sram grips that are larger in diameter than others and very comfy. Plus, it's easy enough to change them out when I feel like it.

Scott McLain

Jul 11, 2020, 4:56:49 PM7/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joel, I just tape near the front of the grip where the twine goes. The grip with a shifter cable won’t move much.

Joel Stern

Jul 11, 2020, 5:02:19 PM7/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott, I was thinking of something like that.  I may use an old tube under bar tape as I like the look I have now.  I can always try cork later.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Scott McLain <scotta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Joel,  I just tape near the front of the grip where the twine goes.  The grip with a shifter cable won’t move much.

Scott McLain

Jul 13, 2020, 1:53:17 PM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
An old tube under tape is a brilliant idea!  Why didn't I think of that?  I just changed my Homer from an Albatros back to drops.  I just wrapped them this weekend and finished the shellac last night.

I like the look and novelty of the cork, but it is not super comfy.  There are lots of great options out there nowadays for sure.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 3:02:19 PM UTC-6, Joel Stern wrote:
Thanks Scott, I was thinking of something like that.  I may use an old tube under bar tape as I like the look I have now.  I can always try cork later.
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Scott McLain <scotta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Joel,  I just tape near the front of the grip where the twine goes.  The grip with a shifter cable won’t move much.

Joel Stern

Jul 13, 2020, 2:32:09 PM7/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There instructions on line, I am not home but if you need a link let me know.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/9393ac1f-75be-4dfc-a2d8-3b8dd48f63bao%40googlegroups.com.

Patrick Moore

Jul 13, 2020, 9:30:59 PM7/13/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Just one man's experience, but when I layered my Moustache bars with innertube under conventional (ie, not cloth) bar tape, it didn't make the bar softer, though it did help by making it thicker. Me, if I were looking for cushion, I'd wrap my bar in 2 layers of conventional bar tape, cork or faux rubber.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Scott McLain <scotta...@gmail.com> wrote:
An old tube under tape is a brilliant idea!

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Jul 13, 2020, 9:32:21 PM7/13/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
In fact, I did just that on my very recently erstwhile Dahon Hon Solo, with Surly Open bar: 2 layers of faux cork tape from thriftily saved oddments. It worked well.