Favorite Rivendell model names?

Philip Williamson

Jun 3, 2020, 10:17:21 PM6/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or, “Let’s Fight About Something On Topic!”

Let’s hear your most and least favorite Rivendell model names. No name calling, even about the names.

What is your favorite Rivendell model name? Mine is Legolas. It’s real hard to separate out the bike itself from the name for me. For example, I don’t like the Sam Hillborn name, but that might be because it sounded like a downmarket A. Homer Hilsen. On the other hand, I LOVE the name Platypus, and want one of those bikes no matter what it looks like!

Hunqapillar - how genius is that?!
Wolbis Slugstone, though? My least favorite, in a walk.

I only ask because I found this anonymous poll about Rivendell model names: https://forms.gle/FEf5TeFkr4fZQdxEA

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jun 3, 2020, 10:34:34 PM6/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rosco Bubbe for the win!!
-Kai

A. Douglas M.

Jun 3, 2020, 10:37:17 PM6/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love Wolbis Slugstone. It reminds me of being a kid and watching the original Willy Wonka. Thinking about a candy recipe secret agent named Slugworth.

I also really like Frank Jones. Classic American blue collar name.

I’m a big fan of Platypus. It fits great with the current, light-hearted nature of Rivendell. Plus, they are very cool animals. They feed their offspring milk not through nipples but by sweating it out their belly. Impressive. “I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?” A platypus wouldn’t find that line amusing at all.

Sadly, I think Roadeo and Roadini are missed opportunities.

Best,

Aaron

Eric Floden

Jun 3, 2020, 10:39:29 PM6/3/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So many good names to choose from. My first thought though is for the one that was not: Honus Wagner.

That would have been cool...

EricF
Vancouver

Joe Bernard

Jun 3, 2020, 10:47:35 PM6/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Favorite: Quickbeam. Which I didn't know was a Tolkien thing and when I saw the prototype at RBW I told Mark I loved the "tree" headbadge and he said "It's an Ent." Ok I love the Ent!

Not so much: I don't know, I'm not way into the "fictional people" names but I always end up identifying them with the great frame their attached to and then I like them anyway. Which will happen with Platypus, which is why I've stopped whining about it on this forum. The bike will be amazing and I'll love the headbadge and it'll be fine.

Joe Bernard

Jun 3, 2020, 10:51:35 PM6/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, I really missed an opportunity there. My favorite is Rivendell! Which is what my custom is called and in private conversation I say "the Rivendell" because "my custom" sounds pompous while not actually explaining what the blazes I'm talking about.

Bill Lindsay

Jun 4, 2020, 12:38:43 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Susie Longbolts is my favorite. Samuel Hillborne is my second favorite. I don’t like the name Hunqapillar or platypus. I like the name Bombadil and dislike the Name Legolas but I love the arrow motif of my Legolas. I call my Legolas ‘Sal’ which is short for Legolas backwards.

Roadeo is a dumb name IMO but a favorite bike.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca.

dougP

Jun 4, 2020, 12:46:05 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hunqapillar is genius, with the wooly mammoth head badge.  I also like the back story about Grant reading it on someone's mailbox.

Atlantis is a close second (I'm biased, I know), evoking adventure & travel.  It works pretty well for those things.

dougP

EricP

Jun 4, 2020, 6:37:25 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe Bleriot for me. Or Protovelo. Although having one on order, the name Clem Smith Jr. will probably become the favorite. It does have my favorite decals and headbadge.

Strange, never have thought about liking or not liking the name Sam Hillborne even though that's the bike that's stuck with me the longest.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Mark Roland

Jun 4, 2020, 6:41:23 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
One would be:

Another would be Roadini. Which always makes me think of Houdini. Which makes me think magic. But I don't think I would actually want a Roadini. Though if someone gave me one I would take it.

All the names are interesting and fun. Much more so than CAAD 12 or Madone or Allez  or TCR Advanced SL 2.

Waiting for the sheep to rack up some points.

Chris L

Jun 4, 2020, 9:03:09 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There are quite a few RBW bike names I really like and a few I really dislike.

Maybe due to the fact that I came on board with RBW in 2011 when there was already a long line of past bikes with established names, I like most of those names.  They just seem right.

I'm not a fan of bikes named after people but I don't hate them, either.

I really dislike Gus Boots Willsen and it's anagram bike names.

I didn't care for Platypus at first but now I think it's a cool bike name, just not for the bike it's attached to.  The Platypus, in my mind, should be a bike more in the Hunqapillar/Bombadil vein.

My favorite post-2011 bike name is probably "Appaloosa".  However, I could live without the "Joe" part.

Austin B.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:56:15 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Favorites:
  • Hunqapillar
  • Appaloosa

Least Favorites:
  • Romulus
  • Roadeo
  • Roadini
  • "Hillibike" and related anagram names

Maybe they should stay away from names beginning with "R"

Austin in MD

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Jun 4, 2020, 9:57:57 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 10:17:21 PM UTC-4, Philip Williamson wrote:

Let’s hear your most and least favorite Rivendell model names.

Hard to do without considering the headbadge that goes with each name, but what if you could apply your favorite name to your favorite badge?

25th Riv Poster 122419 SMALL.jpg

Personally, I lean toward the animal-based names/badges, and top of the list are Appaloosa, Saluki and Heron for me. (Although the watch-face Yves Gomez has been a long time favorite too) Now if I could dream, and thinking about my riding style, a bike with a Manatee badge in the Hunqapillar-style might just have me reaching for my wallet - albeit very slowly.

Manatee.jpg

Marty

Marc Irwin

Jun 4, 2020, 10:03:14 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Christopher Cote

Jun 4, 2020, 10:48:36 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Atlantis, Bleriot, Romulus, Redwood, Hunqapillar are awesome. I can't get into the proper person type names. Woblis and Gus are just ridiculous. Quickbeam is OK, but starting to get a little corny. I love my Rambouillet, but cringe when saying it to non-bikey people. It sounds so pretentious.

Chris

Kiley Demond

Jun 4, 2020, 11:31:26 AM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like Homer. Don't know about the Hilsen part, I tend to be on a first-name basis with my bikes. I'm not sure why, perhaps because I also like the 'Henry' rifle; or maybe it is just a baseball or Simpsons connection. Just something old-timey day about those names. I like Sam too although I have never bothered to look up who it is named for, just a good 'buddy' name. I'd name a step-thru bike Susan B. for Susan B. Anthony and call her Sue. You know, like the song, "A Bike Named Sue".

I like 'Hunquapillar' a lot because it describes the bike, so perhaps another would be the 'Gazellapillar' or ... Same for Cheviot although I couldn't get the 'ut' pronunciation down (despite living in a town spelled Prescott, but pronounced 'Preskitt').

The most genius name is 'Rivelo' which is the independent Rivendell bike store in Portland, not a bike. I am not a big Lord of the Rings trilogy fan (but every guy I have ever been with is/was), or I would undoubtedly be able to come up with new names.

Cheers.

Bill Fulford

Jun 4, 2020, 12:02:46 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Favorites: Atlantis, Gus Boots Willsen, Appaloosa, Hunqapillar. Hard to beat these names.

Mark Roland

Jun 4, 2020, 12:16:56 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Only if you would like to get sued. Anyway, I think they pretty much tapped that vein. Gandolf? Gimli? Aragorn? Sauron? Shadowfax? Galadriel might have been okay for the new Cheviot. *

*I did not use Google, or my faded memory. I am half way through the Two Towers with my ten-year old. PS. I was recently informed that it is actually a single novel, not a trilogy, broken up into 6 "books", two under each heading.   I'm not sure how that works, sounds like something for a trivia game or those "in the know" to make a big deal out of?

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 11:31:26 AM UTC-4, Kiley Demond wrote:
....I am not a big Lord of the Rings trilogy fan (but every guy I have ever been with is/was), or I would undoubtedly be able to come up with new names.

Joe Bernard

Jun 4, 2020, 1:06:52 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I gotta give a shoutout to Bleriot. Great name, great headbadge, great spear (that's what Grant told me it's called) through the downtube lettering.

Steve Cole

Jun 4, 2020, 1:14:00 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My vote is for the Simpleone.  Too many pronounce it as two words in English -- simple one -- when in fact the correct pronunciation follows Italian rules -- seem play oh neigh.  When pronounce correctly this way, it is sheer genius of a bicycle name.

(sic)
Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

Christopher Cote

Jun 4, 2020, 1:46:33 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's almost as bad as folks that pronounce Dura Ace like "do rah ach ay"!

Chris

Bill Lindsay

Jun 4, 2020, 2:18:57 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Perhaps he pronounces his name: Steh-Vay-Coh-Lay

Brady Smith

Jun 4, 2020, 4:05:54 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A Homer Hilsen is my favorite by far. I’ve wanted one since I first heard of it, long before I realized that it was also the perfect bike for the kind of riding I do.

Atlantis is a distant second, followed by Sam Hillborne and Joe Appaloosa.

Clayton Scott

Jun 4, 2020, 5:03:33 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like Cheviot. Those sheep are amazingly tough.

Would love to see the new Chev be called Hebridean.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

Collin A

Jun 4, 2020, 5:35:40 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clayton, that might be a bit too Metal for Riv.

Fav: Hunqapillar, clever, and it is a bike I have lusted for as long as I have been aware of Riv. Still kicking myself for not picking one of the demos up when they were on sale.
Close Second: Wolbis/Susie, mostly for the headbadge of the slug and a long bolt.

Least Favorite: Leo Roadini, can't quite tell why, though...

Cheers,
Collin in Sac

Clayton Scott

Jun 4, 2020, 5:42:21 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
\m/

Also agree on the Roadini. It just sounds "little" to me.

Clayton Scott,
HBG, CA

Patrick Moore

Jun 4, 2020, 6:35:16 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
My favorites are the Tolkein names -- Legolas, Quickbeam. Atlantis is genius; as good as Legolas.

 Longlow and All Rounder are earnest and honest everyday monikers.

I don't mind sheep and birds and pseudo-natural-history beasts -- Heron, Cheviot, Hunquapillar. Hunquapillar has a nice Tolkein-esque ring; reminds one of Sam's oliphaunts. "The Oliphaunt, by Rivendell." Mumakil would be even better; a brutally tough off road bike; Deacon Patrick ought to be riding a Mumakil if there were justice in this world. Crush those cogs. Or you could tone it down and have the Heffalump if you don't mind trademark battles with little Christopher Robin. The Rivendell Eeyore (let's not go there).

Bleriot is fine too; it fits well enough that in my own teeming little mind it seems to belong to the frame more than to the aviator.

Clementine is --- nice --- ish; does not make my heart go into tachycardia. Sam Hillborne is acceptable.

I **do not like** Forest Gump-type names (I do like the character; not the name): H Homer Hilsen etc etc etc. If I had a Rivendell Forest Gump, I'd paint over the decal.

Patrick Moore

Brett Callahan

Jun 4, 2020, 7:50:10 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
For years I believed the Benedict Cumberbatch was a 26" riv offering. Very disappointed to have learned that is in fact a person. Would till make a good name for a bike.

Paul Richardson

Jun 4, 2020, 7:55:40 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On their own, I don't love "Susie W. Longbolts" or "Wolbis Slugstone," but I think the name SUZIE WOLBIS is the bees knees.  I like it best misspelled, which I realize ruins the anagram, but phonetically it's the same and I hope I do more talking about my bike than writing about it.

Also love Bombadil, A. Homer Hilsen, and completely agree that Honus Wagner would have hook lined 'n sinker'd me, recalling the happiest days of teenhood, combing thru beat-up copies of Beckett magazine.

Fun thread!!

paul
takoma park, md.

Joe Bernard

Jun 4, 2020, 8:03:47 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My dirty little secret is I'm really not a fan of anything but the most basic names like Road or Mountain, and traditional sounding stuff like Clubman. Although the best name ever was the Ibis Scorcher. Scorcher is untouchable.

Mark Roland

Jun 4, 2020, 8:45:41 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a Scorcher. It was fun, but not in the same league as a Rivendell quality-wise. That bike was the brainchild of Wes Williams (and maybe Scot Nicol?) Fixed gear, 700 x 41 tires, Cresent style handlebars, Brooks saddle. Williams tigged the frames; used an aftermarket chrome cruiser fork with lugged crown.

The name came about because of a documentary at that time (early 90s) by Ted White, Return of the Scorcher. This referred to the name given to early bikes and riders in the late (18)90s, due to their speed. Fun fact, the movie was also responsible for linking the term Critical Mass to cycling--at an early showing in San Francisco, a group of activists picked up on George Bliss's use of the term to describe a phenomena in China involving bike riders at intersections. I got my Ibis as payment for a few ads they took in my magazine at the time, In Traffic, The Metro Cycling Journal.

Here it is on the web:

Brendan Willard

Jun 4, 2020, 9:05:15 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Henry Rollins sure sounds like a Riv bike.

Speaking in Thumbs 👍

Philip Williamson

Jun 4, 2020, 9:33:06 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh man!
"Henry Rollins" as a Rivendell bike name cracked me up.

I think the poll lets you suggest your own model name. https://forms.gle/zAtCmkHczKDWpe3J9

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 8:03:47 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
My dirty little secret is I'm really not a fan of anything but the most basic names like Road or Mountain, and traditional sounding stuff like Clubman. Although the best name ever was the Ibis Scorcher. Scorcher is untouchable.

Brendan Willard

Jun 4, 2020, 10:22:31 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I went with Teddy Rollsavelt- naturalist, conservationist, founder of the “Bull Moose” Party... makes sense. Pretty sure he would have bike packed.

Speaking in Thumbs 👍

On Jun 4, 2020, at 6:33 PM, Philip Williamson <philip.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/602427eb-4356-4888-8826-4f7665e17aabo%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Floden

Jun 4, 2020, 10:29:12 PM6/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Greta T
Works for me

Eric in BeeCee

Clayton Scott

Jun 4, 2020, 11:08:16 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A henry rollins bike with 2pac panniers.

Cshbgca

Eric G@rs

Jun 4, 2020, 11:22:36 PM6/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m partial to Rambouillet, Heron, and Saluki. I don’t really care for the human names much.

Eric Daume

Jun 5, 2020, 8:02:47 AM6/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Maybe someday when he’s done growing, I’ll buy my  son Sam a Sam. His favorite color *is* orange.

I didn’t like the human names at first, but I guess I’ve gotten used to them. “Slugstone” is a pretty odd name for something you hope doesn’t feel sluggish, though.

Eric

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, Philip Williamson <philip.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
Or, “Let’s Fight About Something On Topic!”

Let’s hear your most and least favorite Rivendell model names. No name calling, even about the names.

What is your favorite Rivendell model name? Mine is Legolas. It’s real hard to separate out the bike itself from the name for me. For example, I don’t like the Sam Hillborn name, but that might be because it sounded like a downmarket A. Homer Hilsen. On the other hand, I LOVE the name Platypus, and want one of those bikes no matter what it looks like!

Hunqapillar - how genius is that?!
Wolbis Slugstone, though? My least favorite, in a walk.

I only ask because I found this anonymous poll about Rivendell model names: https://forms.gle/FEf5TeFkr4fZQdxEA

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

mark etze

Jun 5, 2020, 9:06:52 AM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I always liked Rambouillet, it has a cool animals name in there and sound Frenchy.

Being 6'6" Redwood's the bike have appealed to me and the name is very descriptive of the bike.

MCT

Jun 5, 2020, 12:24:42 PM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I always liked Yves Gomes. I always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.

Matt in OKC

S. Greco

Jun 5, 2020, 7:19:17 PM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love the Romulus / Redwood naming and similarly the Betty Foy / Yves Gomez split.
So clever to create this dual personality for bikes that are essentially the same but also very different depending on their size.

All Rounder & Protovelo are my favorites.
This is a great thread. :)

Jim M.

Jun 5, 2020, 7:37:15 PM6/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 9:24:42 AM UTC-7, MCT wrote:
I always liked Yves Gomes.  I always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.

Matt in OKC

J.Schwartz

Jun 6, 2020, 1:22:38 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don’t think anyone mentioned the Long Low. Love that one

kim young

Jun 6, 2020, 1:22:39 PM6/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is so fabulous you mention it.
The scorcher documentary was such an inspiration to me. I had a vhs copy from ted. I must have watched it a hundred times back then and I wore the thing out.
I wonder what he’s doing now? I Shall google :)
Gracias

(kim in az)

Vincent Tamer

Jun 6, 2020, 1:22:40 PM6/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
All the quaint, normal-ish names are great: Sam Hillborne, A. Homer Hilsen, Cheviot. Clem Smith gets a little weird, but its my bike so I like it!

Also Quickbeam, Legolas and Roadini are great, as is Hunqapillar, which is just weird enough to work.

No go: Gus Boots Wilsen, Wolbis Slugstone, Susie Longbolts (bleh).

ascpgh

Jun 7, 2020, 7:01:48 AM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rambouillet. It paired nicely with Grant's inspiration for the model, taking some randonneur design features to make it an all-day bike for the long rides.

My first ride of my Rambouillet was from Yorktown, VA to Williamsburg, VA. Having arrived late in the afternoon as I readied to depart and join the three others at the Atlantic for a ride across the country. For a month and a few weeks, I rode it all day, every day. What's not to like?

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Mark Roland

Jun 7, 2020, 7:21:49 AM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're welcome, Kim. I just watched the first few minutes, and it's eerily (perhaps somewhat depressingly?) relevant to what's happening in the world today. Worth a peek for fans of the Rivendell approach to cycling, IMO.

Don't know what Ted is up to, but as of a year or two ago, my sources tell me George B. is still doing his thing in NYC. Did a feature on work bikes that featured George and his vision of a transportation hub with human powered vehicles, which he partially realized over the years.

allenmichael

Jun 7, 2020, 1:59:23 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Simple One

dstein

Jun 7, 2020, 11:53:13 PM6/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Throwing my hat in the ring for Hunqapillar as my favorite. I'm not a fan of the people names: Sam Hillborne, Frank Jones Jr, Clem Smith, with one exception being A Homer Hilsen just because it sounds like an old timey baseball player and I like baseball. Though, I would love to see a Henry Rollins bike, think he'd sue?

Joe Bernard

Jun 8, 2020, 12:15:06 AM6/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think GP would ask him and he would say no.

Doug Hansford

Jun 9, 2020, 10:16:36 AM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not a bike name but handlebars. I like the mashup of Albatross and Mustache bars...Albastache. Descriptive and simple.
Doug

Patrick Moore

Jun 9, 2020, 11:33:09 AM6/9/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I liked the Priest bar name and owned a pair. I think this sort of image was behind it:

image.png

Joe Bernard

Jun 9, 2020, 3:00:02 PM6/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dove was cool, too.

Ryan M.

Jun 17, 2020, 9:05:57 PM6/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think my favorite name for a Riv was the Yves Gomez. It's a bike I never bought but I loved everything about it.

Least favorite name is a toss up...Roadeo or Quickbeam. I owned a Roadeo and loved it, never a Quickbeam though. Just don't like the names.

Evan E.

Jun 18, 2020, 7:21:48 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Atlantis. Saluki. Rambouillet.

Jun 19, 2020, 8:50:21 PM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Like: Rambouillet, Redwood, Saluki, Long Low, Atlantis, Quickbeam, Legolas, Hunqapillar, Appaloosa. And, as Joe said, the simple names -- Road, Mountain, All Round.

Don't like so much: Roadeo, Roadini, SimpleOne, the more recent people names, although A Homer Hilsen is OK.