Rivet Sonora: Trying it on the Platypus

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jul 12, 2021, 6:32:59ā€ÆPM7/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
7047A6CB-2C81-49C2-A66D-0EE0E9B46C64.jpegI guess Iā€™m going to be Three Bike Leah. In building that bike, I was in need of a saddle. I decided to try a new saddle on my raspberry dream bike, and then move along the Platy saddle (a lovely B17 Select) to the new bike. I have heard a lot of good press about Rivet. I began looking over their offerings and decided to email the company to ask a couple of questions. The owner, Debra Banks, emailed me back very quickly. She answered my questions, so I decided to try the beautiful ivory Sonora. The Sonora arrived today and, quicker than a jackrabbit on a date, I installed on the Platypus. It really looks fantastic.Ā

I got the one with a cutout. I have never had a cutout, donā€™t know if I need a cutout. The nose is shorter and the rails are longer, and so far (Iā€™ve ridden it a few miles today) it would seem to be perfect. Will there be patina that wears away the white paint in the leather? Yes. Am I a priss about that? No. I like patina.

I will rack up some miles and report back in case anyone else was considering a Rivet. Might take me awhile since Vegas is hotter than Hadesā€¦
Leah

Leah Peterson

Jul 12, 2021, 6:34:33ā€ÆPM7/12/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 12, 2021, at 5:33 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

ļ»æ
<7047A6CB-2C81-49C2-A66D-0EE0E9B46C64.jpeg>

Roberta

Jul 12, 2021, 7:53:56ā€ÆPM7/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just as I thought the Raspberry Platy was as perfect as it could be, this makes it even better. Hope you love the saddle! Ive always heard good reviews. Ā Looking forward to your comments.Ā

dougP

Jul 12, 2021, 11:20:46ā€ÆPM7/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
And the fiddling begins......next comes racks & luggage changes.Ā  Once you go down this rabbit hole, there is no escape.Ā  But it's sure fun!Ā

dougP

Leah Peterson

Jul 13, 2021, 12:59:14ā€ÆAM7/13/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Lol, Doug. Yes, youā€™re onto something.Ā

I took a slight departure from that rabbit hole (the tinkering hole) and plunged into a different one (the new bike hole). I LOVE the Platy as itā€™s currently set up. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll change it. Iā€™ve discovered that dyno wires and light mounts make that very difficult. Instead of tinkering with the near-perfect Platypus, Iā€™m adding a new bike and setting it up for different purposes. The raspberry bike will remain my main squeeze, used for pleasure, exercise, and light errands.Ā

ā™„ļø

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 12, 2021, at 10:20 PM, dougP <doug...@gmail.com> wrote:

ļ»æ

Joe Bernard

Jul 13, 2021, 1:19:09ā€ÆAM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is how n+1 sneaks up on you: "This bike is perfect now, I wouldn't change a thing. I need another DIFFERENT one!" šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Joe Bernard

Leah Peterson

Jul 13, 2021, 1:25:58ā€ÆAM7/13/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But Iā€™m really done this time! 3 is my absolute limit. Hold me to this, Peopleā€¦

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 13, 2021, at 12:19 AM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

ļ»æThis is how n+1 sneaks up on you: "This bike is perfect now, I wouldn't change a thing. I need another DIFFERENT one!" šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Ben Mihovk

Jul 13, 2021, 10:31:01ā€ÆAM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is the third bike another Platypus just set up differently? Or are you going in a new direction? Or is it top secret and I'm not supposed to ask?????

Ben "in the dark" in OmahaĀ

ascpgh

Jul 13, 2021, 11:47:50ā€ÆAM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, I had an extended break in on my slotted Pearl too but what I most wanted from the slotted format was elimination of the material down the middle of the saddle that my original Independence had. As it broke in to my sit bones the ridge down the center that was tethered from the nose of the frame to the frame at the rear (cantle). With nothing like the weight my sit bones were exerting breaking it in, that ridge down the center remained tight, linear and was becoming a real perineum cleaver as my sit bones settled in to a comfortable level.Ā

Deb sent me the slotted Pearl to address this and that I do move forward and aft much more than I thought and the Pearl has a longer platform for sit bones than the Independence. When I scooted forward on it for some pedaling advantage, the surface for my sit bones sloped off and effectively put me (my soft parts) on the ridge even harder.Ā

So far the slot has let the middle of the saddle not be a cake wire to my under side and the Pearl better suits my riding which I found to be more seated than others'.Ā

Hope you enjoy! Here's a gratuitous shot of Deb at the Philly bike Expo, lots of bike experience right there!
039B9AB9-229A-4CC8-861E-DA4A7FA92AA5_1_105_c.jpeg
And also, a gratuitous shot of the slotted Pearl on my bike during my (unofficial) first ride post-op:Ā
94D9ABBC-877D-4767-BB5F-15FEE779AC1B_1_105_c.jpeg
Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Roberta

Jul 13, 2021, 12:59:51ā€ÆPM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
" I guess Iā€™m going to be Three Bike Leah "

This is a teaser.Ā  BBDD, how long is the expected wait on this new addition?

Andy,

I too remember meeting Debra (and you, too, and others!) at the Philadelphia Bike Expo.Ā  Classy lady and beautiful saddles.Ā  I would have bought one if I needed a saddle.Ā

I could feel your saddle with your story.Ā  I'm glad you found your "pearl."

Roberta

Leah Peterson

Jul 13, 2021, 2:15:02ā€ÆPM7/13/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Andy, yes, I can picture this exactly. In fact, I think Iā€™ve experienced that on my Brooks. That saddle will get a break for awhile and Iā€™ll see if some of what I feel goes away now that Iā€™m using the Rivet. Itā€™s not huge discomfort, but every now and again I get a hot spot with heavy mileage. If I could ride and not have a single thought in my head about my saddle, that would be heavenly. Oh, and great photos, too! Hope that shoulder is about healed up and you can go back to eating up the Pittsburgh miles. Glad to hear your Pearl is (to quote clever Roberta) a pearl. A detailed review someday would really be beneficial to the group.

Roberta - I would guess maybe late August? We shall see!

Sent from my iPad

ļ»æLeah, I had an extended break in on my slotted Pearl too but what I most wanted from the slotted format was elimination of the material down the middle of the saddle that my original Independence had. As it broke in to my sit bones the ridge down the center that was tethered from the nose of the frame to the frame at the rear (cantle). With nothing like the weight my sit bones were exerting breaking it in, that ridge down the center remained tight, linear and was becoming a real perineum cleaver as my sit bones settled in to a comfortable level.Ā

On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 5:32:59 PM UTC-5 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
[...]

dougP

Jul 13, 2021, 3:47:21ā€ÆPM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Betty Foy used to be "the best bicycle in the whole world".Ā

We await your reveal on the next bike.Ā  Full disclosure:Ā  I've bought "the last bike I'm ever going to buy" three times now.Ā  Stuff happens.Ā  Wants change. Needs change.Ā

dougP

ascpgh

Jul 13, 2021, 5:04:08ā€ÆPM7/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, shoulder's good. Got tested in the workplace. Had to Zoom the RCA from my mom's bedside. UTIs in the elderly can be global and are the worst. Due to d/c Ā i/p rehab tomorrow. The wonder pup and I made the thousand miles Sunday 6/27 to get here.Ā

Roberta, Philly for the Expo in the fall. Let's all have a chat with Deb and hopefully Will too. I think he was blown awa by east coast bike culture and all of the people he met. Also, thank goodness I did find my Pearl!

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh