Thin Gripster alternatives?

Kieran J

Dec 2, 2019, 12:55:47 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have multiple sets of the VP Thin Gripster/VP-001. Great pedals but they have all developed clicking noises in the bearings. Some of mine have relatively low miles so I'm wondering about their longevity. I note that RBW sells a bearing service kit but IMO it's too expensive.

Have others experienced this? Did you service the pedals or replace them with something else? If so, what?

Thanks,

Kieran

Joe Bernard

Dec 2, 2019, 1:15:54 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ride nothing but Deity Black Kats. Big wide suckers and Riv should sell them, but you can get them here at a Riv dealer.
https://www.analogcycles.com/product/deity-black-kat-pedals/

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Dec 2, 2019, 1:43:10 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh my gosh, those are swanky. I’m having issues with the Thin Gripsters chewing up my expensive boots when I turn the pedals at stoplights. These don’t look like they would chew up my boots. But $$$$

Joe Bernard

Dec 2, 2019, 1:48:04 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
They do have little spikes but not as many, and I remove a few anyway..I don't like the super-stuck-in feel of a bunch of spikes. And yes they're spendy but that connection on the bike is the difference between loving and not loving riding for me, so I pays my money. Plus..pretty colors!

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Dec 2, 2019, 1:48:22 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wait, yes they will

Wally Estrella

Dec 2, 2019, 1:58:01 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pedals with BEARINGS and replacement kits are nice to have available.  I've 'burned' through an expensive set of Crank Bros Stamp 7s on my fat bike.  In just about a year I now have to dish out $25 for rebuild kit. ACK! ACK! ACK!

Joe, thanks for the link to those Deitys. I'm interested in a pair now :)

Garth

Dec 2, 2019, 2:20:41 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ride on the VP Vice, which uses a longer length axle than the 001 for more support. I always add some grease to any pedal I buy. The 2 pair I have been perfect.

It also uses a combo of the grub(like the 001) and M4 bolts which insert from the other side and are adjustable. The M4 bolts alone work just fine.

Here's an article I found that I saw before I bought mine .... http://oceanaircycles.com/2013/04/22/vp-vice-and-001-pedal-comparison/

Bearing durability is so dependent on the rider and all that comes with it,  that statistics don't mean anything.

Garth

Dec 2, 2019, 2:22:00 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

For Leah, there is only pedal I can think of for you ...... Race Face Chester in Turquoise !!!!

Garth

Dec 2, 2019, 2:23:02 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

The traction pins are adjustable from the opposite side. Here's a review I found ....https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/pedals-products/race-face-chester

Garth

Dec 2, 2019, 2:28:32 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Leah Peterson

Dec 2, 2019, 2:42:37 PM12/2/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Garth, the only pedals for me are these:

Lol, my husband will throw me out (and justifiably so) if I ordered $200 pedals, but a girl can dream!

Sent from my iPhone

Deacon Patrick

Dec 2, 2019, 2:44:45 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Six months was the max life of my multiple VP's (2-4 more common) before bearings needed fixing. I'm hard on pedals, between mountain riding (rocks and roots, high torque climbing), fixed gear (yet more torque and increased pedal strikes), and riding in all weathers. Multiple experiments later I've settled on MKS sealed bearings. I'm partial to their touring pedal (which means the Next version), but their AllWays and Urban Platform (with toe clips or cages) also fit the bill. For fixed gear, I've gone without any foot retention. It's just too fussy and wears out and gets bashed, and it doesn't works with Sorel winter boots. THe cup and cone bearing MKS pedals are great, but require rebuilding every six months in my experience.

With abandon,
Patrick

Dorothy C

Dec 2, 2019, 3:11:26 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, you mention the pins chew up your boots. I don’t lift the pedal to 2 o clock with the top of my foot, rather just press firmly on the pedal and kick the pedal forewards. The pins provide enough grip with my Kodiak boots.
Apologies if you are already doing this and it is the sole of your boots that is getting damaged.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Dec 2, 2019, 3:53:15 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dorothy, you’re right, and that’s what I need to get in the habit of doing. I don’t want to put more money into my bike. And the pedals I have look great, so I will adapt. Thanks - I’m implementing the Dorothy Method forthwith! ❤️

Deacon Patrick

Dec 2, 2019, 4:15:59 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
To rapidly learn the Dorothy Method, wear sandals. Grin. (I'm serious).

With abandon,
Patrick

Leah Peterson

Dec 2, 2019, 4:34:23 PM12/2/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
DP, that was funny. 😂😂😂

Sent from my iPhone

Deacon Patrick

Dec 2, 2019, 9:48:25 PM12/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, and being this is winter, if you're a nutter riding in the snow, the MKS Touring pedal is brilliant. Pressure on the pedal actually clears snow and increases grip rather than thickening the ice layer underfoot to the point the pins are "gone." Ask me how I know. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Fullylugged

Dec 3, 2019, 7:18:40 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have really liked these. Distribute pressure well. The pins are rounded and don't mar my shoes. They are very light. Very reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4SQCJ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

tc

Dec 3, 2019, 9:03:43 AM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have Shimano Saint PD-MX80 studded platform pedals on all my bikes. Thin, strong, not too big, not too small, and the brushed silver and black goes with everything. Amazon sells them for $96.

Tom

John Phillips

Dec 3, 2019, 2:43:36 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
  I like the OneUp composite and aluminum pedals, Chromag Scarabs & DMR Vaults.

John

John Phillips

Dec 3, 2019, 2:46:36 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals, which I haven't given me any mechanical problems. I really like their size and the whole mid foot pedaling thing.

John

Sean Steinle

Dec 3, 2019, 2:52:57 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really love my MKS Allways pedals. Good grip, nice profile, and super smooth sealed bearings.

M Talley

Dec 3, 2019, 3:30:19 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second the Shimano platform pedal products. Specifically the non-series PD-GR500. These like the Saint MX80 model have Shimano's spindle/bearing cartridges with a pretty good track record. They are only slightly thicker than most of the thin pedals on the market but worth it for the durability.
Mark

Deacon Patrick

Dec 3, 2019, 4:30:24 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pretty sure Catalyst pedals are rebranded VP's after being on the stretching rack, so if you have issues with the VP's, you'll likely with the Catalyst as well.

With abandon,
Patrick

ctifusion

Dec 3, 2019, 5:16:39 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad you mentioned this. The VPs are bad pedals, mine started making noise almost immediately. Can't have 500 miles on them and they're shot. Especially given that I have 1000s of miles on multiple sets of Wellgo B132 pedals.

I've been using those RaceFace Chester pedals lately. They are so sturdy, great platform, and I dig the composite look and all the colors.

Brynnar

Tim Bantham

Dec 3, 2019, 5:23:35 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
There are two pedals that I use and like both of them. The Diety Black Cat and the Spank Oozy Trail. I like the Spanks slightly better. Check out this great post from Analog to get the complete overview of pedal options.

John Phillips

Dec 3, 2019, 10:15:07 PM12/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
   I forgot to add that I always check and grease new pedals before they go on a bike. I rarely find brand new pedals have enough grease inside.

For good, cheap pedals, I like the OneUp composite pedals for around $49.00.

 John

Mike Packard

Dec 4, 2019, 12:02:43 AM12/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think plastic (nylon?) pedals grip better without resorting to scrapey/stabby pegs, especially when wet. I have a pair of Odyssey Twisted pedals I got used 5 years ago and they still work great. They come in a lots of colors and every bike shop has them for ~$20.

Mike
Austin TX

Merrill Ryan

Dec 6, 2019, 8:07:49 PM12/6/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m not sure if these are the alternative you are looking for, but I’ve used DMR Vault pedals for a couple of years now on two mountain bikes and they have held up well. They are serviceable and really hold the feet well, even when aggressively mtb’ing. The first set of Vaults I got started sounding crunchy on one side and I took it apart, regreased, put it back together and it has been like two years since. Very easy to work on.

I use thin gripsters on my around town bikes and haven’t had issues out of them but those bikes don’t get as much use.

James / Analog Cycles

Dec 6, 2019, 8:07:49 PM12/6/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on Joe's recommendation.  And not just cause I ride those pedals and own that shop.  Gripsters are tiny, and have tiny bearings.  Bigger pedals have better support.  Better pedals have smarter traction pins that can be removed if the head is damaged.  Better pedals have more bearings, and don't need anything wacky to service them.  Black Kats are not expensive, they just are not cheap.  If you wanna check out an expensive pedal, check out the DMR Vaults or the Chromag Scarabs, which are also great pedals.  Black Kats are 34% larger, surface area wise, than a gripster.  That means you can wear super floppy shoes and still have great support.

Lastly, like Riv, Deity is a rider owned company (hey, Analog is too!), and it's small.  They deserve support.  VP is not a small company.  So if you wanna support the small innovators, this is a fine place to do so.

-james / analog cycles

Philip Williamson

Dec 6, 2019, 10:33:12 PM12/6/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Huh. I’ve got multiple pairs of VP pedals and never had an issue.
I’ll check them. Maybe a strange intermittent “tick” on the Frances is the pedal.

Thanks,
Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

brendonoid

Dec 7, 2019, 4:51:15 AM12/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow yeah this thread has got me scratching my head. Have the VPs on all my Rivs (the Homer since 2013?) and have never even had to look at them twice. The Homer is my commuter and has 20k kms at least on it.
I'm going to go check my pedals now...

Evan E.

Dec 7, 2019, 8:29:43 PM12/7/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
If anyone on this list is still considering VP pedals, you might want to read this review from Rob Perks of Ocean Air Cycles:

The gist: VP Vice pedals have better bearings and a lower Q factor than do the VP-001 pedals (aka Thin Gripsters).

BTW, I've been commuting on VP Vice pedals for three years now. I think the left pedal just developed a click. I blame you, Kieran! :)

Jim M.

Dec 8, 2019, 1:35:12 PM12/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 5:29:43 PM UTC-8, Evan E. wrote:
If anyone on this list is still considering VP pedals, you might want to read this review from Rob Perks of Ocean Air Cycles:

I've been using Thin Gripsters without a problem, but Rob's review convinced me. I was in need of pedals for the Clem I'm building, and I found the Vice for about $35. At first I thought the price was per pedal, but no, that's for two. So seems like a pretty good deal.

jim m
wc, ca

Kieran J

Dec 8, 2019, 3:15:59 PM12/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Funny you mention that - I also have a pair of Vices (bought used) and they have been great. They are slightly thicker than the TGs but just as good otherwise. I always just assumed it was luck and that it was a matter of time before they started giving me problems too.

I might try the Wellgo B132 or the Xpedo Spry next. Thanks for all the input.

KJ

masmojo

Dec 9, 2019, 1:06:12 AM12/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I find it curious that so many people have problems with pedals! I've had a couple dozen different pedals & never problem one!? I would expect a problem for at least 5K miles. I regressed my old Shimano DX platform pedal many, many years ago, but I was doing 6,000 or so miles a year at that time & it was my only bike

I do prefer BMX platform pedals generally and they don't have to be fancy. As others have said the Odessey Twisted pedals are a great buy. The Race Face Chester's are also good. I've also used DK & Demolition pedals. I don't sweat pedals too much, whatever looks good is fine with me. Don't think I'd ever pay more than $90. For pedals & even that is a stretch.

Joe Bernard

Dec 9, 2019, 2:19:54 AM12/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never had much trouble with bearings and such, probably because I'm the least competitive rider you'll ever meet..I just cruise like a lowered Impala on Saturday night. But I'm WAY sensitive to how that connection feels and small just won't do. I want the full floorboard when I put my foot in it!

Bruce Herbitter

Dec 9, 2019, 7:20:18 AM12/9/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode our December Populaire (100KM) Saturday on my ‘95 Riv Road. One of the tricks I used to get the weight to 18.5 lbs is these very light pedals from JG Bike.  I really like them.  Plenty of weight distribution, good grip without pointy spikes messing up shoes, and very light. They have a titanium spindle and thin aluminum platform.  And CHEAP too.  I want to buy several for my other bikes but I can’t justify the waste of the pedals already on them. (V-O and MKS).

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 9, 2019, at 12:06 AM, masmojo <mas...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I find it curious that so many people have problems with pedals! I've had a couple dozen different pedals & never problem one!? I  would expect a problem for at least 5K miles. I regressed my old Shimano DX platform pedal many, many years ago, but I  was doing 6,000 or so miles a year at that time & it was my only bike

I do prefer BMX platform pedals generally and they don't have to be fancy. As others have said the Odessey Twisted pedals are a great buy. The Race Face Chester's are also good. I've also used DK & Demolition pedals. I don't sweat pedals too much, whatever looks good is fine with me. Don't think I'd ever pay more than $90. For pedals & even that is a stretch.

Eric Daume

Dec 9, 2019, 7:53:46 AM12/9/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As a result if this thread, I just ordered some VP Vice pedals off eBay for $30, though these JG Bike models look tempting as well.

Eric
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ron Mc

Dec 10, 2019, 10:43:16 AM12/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Miles and miles, my favorite spiked platform pedals are Blackspire.
I keep a spare pair.  They have a rebuild service that costs $16 US, which is really the postage to return them.

jinxed

Dec 10, 2019, 1:20:07 PM12/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just wanted to throw my hat in the Race Face Chester ring. I've got the VP's on two bikes and though no real issues, I've had to tinker with them both. The Chesters have been great and get the most abuse and foul conditions being on my dedicated MTB. I did find them almost too grippy, but just kept taking pins out till they were juuust right. Nearly half I think.

I will admit to taking a real shine to some Spank Spyke pedals after giving them a test ride on Pondero's Bantam ADV bike. Something about the shape of the platform felt ever so slightly better to me. I didnt spend enough time scrutinizing the differences to my pedals to say what it was, but it felt more natural. Basically I didnt notice the pedal underfoot. But at @ $120 I could outfit every bike I have with chesters.

Ron Mc

Dec 11, 2019, 6:34:59 AM12/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll add that I have an issue with the VP pedals - they have an ersatz wide spot that cost me a sprained ankle before I replaced them.  At their widest point, they're wide for no reason except to strike the ground.
The widest safe pedals I use are Race Face Atlas, with Blackspire Sub Four a close second.

Adam Leibow

Dec 11, 2019, 7:44:12 PM12/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 for deity black kat.