Ideas needed for offseting front rack from exposed cable

Roberta

Nov 18, 2020, 3:44:24 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does anyone have  suggestions for something to "offset" a front handlebar bag from rubbing on the front exposed cable?

With John H's help, we found this https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-f16-front-handlebar-hook-bag-supporter-bag-part-nitto--870-288-10/p , but it's a bit pricey.  The support "shelf" is nice but not required.

I'm not interested in a permanently fixed item. as I'd move it from Riv to Riv.  Other than the price, I like this item.

Thanks,
Roberta
AHH front.jpg

Brian Campbell

Nov 18, 2020, 4:23:44 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta,

What front bag is being used?

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2020, 4:34:40 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta,

What handlebar bag are you using? I've never worried much about cable rub, I actually like that a centerpull (or canti) brake puts a cable through the center so it acts as a block to keep the bag off the headtube.

Joe Bernard

Eric Norris

Nov 18, 2020, 5:35:39 PM11/18/20
to RBW
I’ll just chime in to say that the Nitto bag support is indeed very nice. Here’s a photo of the Nitto part holding up a small (Acorn) bag on my 1972 Cinelli:

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

<AHH front.jpg>

Roberta

Nov 18, 2020, 10:53:26 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you John, Joe, Brian and Eric!

I have two bags but I don't think this one is deep enough to cause a rubbing issue:  Carradice Zippered Roll,   https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/originals-zipped-roll

It's this VO bag that I got from a member here that I'm concerned about.    I bought it because I can use it without a decaleur.  The bag part is about 7" deep, but it could hang lower after attachment.   My other Riv is a Joe Appaloosa with V Brakes, but Joe makes a good point that I wouldn't want a bag marring the head tube.

Eric, that's an interesting look at the item.  John H. also gave it a thumbs up for quality.

Roberta

Roberta

Nov 18, 2020, 10:56:02 PM11/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's the bag pic.
Rando Style Handlebar Bag.jpg

Greg J

Nov 19, 2020, 9:13:38 AM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think I understand the problem.  When you install that bag, the back/bottom tilts against the head tube and brake cable?  If that's the issue, I solved a similar problem by just getting a piece of flat aluminum piece, 4"-5" long and maybe a 1/2" wide, bending it into a Z shape (with 90 degree angles), and attaching it to the stem through the handlebar bolt (drilled a hole).  So one end (short vertical length) bolts into the stem, then a horizontal extension of the appropriate length to reach the bag, and then a vertical length that will push against the back of the bag to keep it vertical and off the head tube.  Hard to explain, but super simple.

Or you can look up "handlebar extender" on amazon. This is a short length of handlebar attached to your handlebar with a couple of clamps.  They should do the trick, but is more involved that you may want.

Greg

Eric Norris

Nov 19, 2020, 11:23:15 AM11/19/20
to RBW
Roberta:

If you go with the Nitto rack, be sure that the bag is supported by the straps, not the rack. It can hold a little weight, but its main purpose is to keep the bag from moving around.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/8bdd6268-1010-4abe-98e1-fd47c9a3aaben%40googlegroups.com.
<Rando Style Handlebar Bag.jpg>

tuolumne bikes

Nov 19, 2020, 12:26:58 PM11/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I may be more likely than most group members to use cheap and inelegant solutions. I would look for a reflector bracket that goes on the fork under the headset nut. They used to be used to take the place of the headset washer and often served as an unsuitably flexy cable housing stop. If a big reflector isn't low enough to keep the bag off the cable, an aluminum tube, plate, or similar could be mounted on the bracket. Mount it above the cable stop and drill a hole in the bracket for the cable housing to pass through.

Carl