Ir para a primeira mensagem não lida

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
15/02/2024, 14:49:2415/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I picked up my Pink Roadeo frame, fork, stem and fenders this morning at Riv HQ.  I took several photos and added them to my Flickr album with no commentary (yet):

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Tony Lockhart

não lida,
15/02/2024, 15:34:2615/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Very slick frame. When do you plan to build it up?

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
15/02/2024, 16:31:0315/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I've got a decent start at it now:   Untitled | Hillbubba | Flickr

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bob Warner

não lida,
15/02/2024, 16:50:1215/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks amazing!!  Looking forward to the final version!
What’s the brazon for under the fork crown?
Love the brazed-on rear cable adjuster. Very cool add-on!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2024, at 4:31 PM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a decent start at it now:   Untitled | Hillbubba | Flickr

George Schick

não lida,
15/02/2024, 16:58:2815/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Are you planning to provide a component list (make & model) when you're done with the build (e.g., are those Highway One bars?)

Tim Bantham

não lida,
15/02/2024, 17:07:5015/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Incredible Bill! Can't wait to see the build progress.

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
15/02/2024, 17:08:1015/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I'm planning on selling my build list for $50, to help offset the price of the bicycle.  For an extra $25 I will autograph that build list.

Those are not Highway One bars.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

George Schick

não lida,
15/02/2024, 17:16:3915/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
The biggest surprise I'm awaiting is the color of the bar tape.  I'm expecting pink (or at least light red) and white splash.
Maybe you should start a lottery for the build specs instead of a flat charge.  He/she who guesses the bestist wins the mostest.

ian m

não lida,
15/02/2024, 17:18:1315/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
What a beauty. Love that stem!

Toshi Takeuchi

não lida,
15/02/2024, 18:42:0615/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing blue bar tape to match the headbadge!

Toshi

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
15/02/2024, 18:44:1415/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
SMH

Meditate on Rule #8, consider my Legolas, meditate much longer on Rule #8, and then recite Rule #8

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Steve

não lida,
16/02/2024, 10:20:0116/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Okay, I'll bite....what is this rule #8 of which you speak?

Miles Payton

não lida,
16/02/2024, 10:49:3316/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Oh man that is an absolutely stunning Riv in a world full of stunning Rivs. Holy cow. Thanks for continuing the updates too. It's been a pleasure to follow along. Was that bit of art with the cat in the bed what you delivered for color inspiration?

John Dewey

não lida,
16/02/2024, 11:16:2116/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Shoji Takahashi

não lida,
16/02/2024, 11:24:0316/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Wow! and that stem is gorgeous.

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
16/02/2024, 11:24:1516/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Rule #8 is one of "The Rules" of the Velominati.  It's a somewhat tongue in cheek, somewhat serious group of cyclists who have enumerated Rules of activity and fashion for cycling and for bicycles.  Rule #8 just states that the handlebars, saddle and tires must be very carefully and deliberately matched, and states that the easiest way to do that is to have the tires, saddle and handlebars all black.  Meditating on a rule is one of the joke-penance things that the Velominati tell people to do.  Meditating on Rule #8 is my attempt at a joke that means my handlebar tape, and saddle, and tires are all going to be black.

I made good progress yesterday, and spent a bit of extra machine-shop time making custom decorative headset spacers and indeed grinding off the lawyer lips.  I got the cockpit assembled and slowed down/stalled on the brake setup.  There are two parts new and unique about this from my earlier builds.  I am using fancy Jagwire Elite housing, which was a new procedure for me, and I'm using the very elegant Rene Herse cantilever brakes, which have a number of their own idiosyncratic nuances.  I got the front set up, and I stopped there for meditation of my own.  The Flickr album has more shots in it.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

não lida,
16/02/2024, 13:52:2016/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Pretty fabulous! Can’t believe how quick you put that together. Like a jackrabbit on a date, as they say! I’m excited to see all the little details at the end, oh please let them be sparkly. Where will the inaugural ride take you?

George Schick

não lida,
16/02/2024, 13:52:5916/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
"...and indeed grinding off the lawyer lips..." ???  I would'a thought you'd have ground those off before it was painted.  You must have some touch up paint of the same color.

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
16/02/2024, 13:57:5516/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
The inaugural ride will be back to Riv HQ so they can photograph it.  I'll probably take it on my March Diablo Summit as well

BL in EC

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
16/02/2024, 14:08:3616/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
When I inspected the frame at Riv prior to paint, they asked if I wanted to take the fork to the grinding wheel, but I didn't do it at that time.  I prefer to do delicate maneuvers like that in my own work space in my own time.  One thing people do sometimes is completely clear the dropout faces of paint, for a cleaner look.  D&D used to do that, and the Vimeo Riv produced of Rick painting a Hilsen shows him doing that.  I'm not a touch up guy.  I'm a beausage guy.  Scrubbing off the lawyer lips is part of me marking my territory.  It'll take "forever" for that exposed metal to rust.  If I lived on the marina perhaps I'd feel differently about it.

BL in EC

Collin A

não lida,
16/02/2024, 15:16:3416/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I'm curious about the threaded boss on the stem, I would've thought it would be for the brake cable, but it doesn't go all the way through! I'm guessing for a GPS mount?

Collin

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 11:49:24 AM UTC-8 Bill Lindsay wrote:

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
16/02/2024, 15:31:5816/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I've modified my Wahoo mount to bolt on to that boss.  I have that feature on two of my three custom Nobilette stems.

BL in EC

Steve

não lida,
16/02/2024, 22:55:1516/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I sheepishly asked "What is this rule #8...?"
Now I know -- and not just #8, but all 95 of them!  Thank you Bill & John Dewey for the illuminating me about the Velominati --- but now I can't stop giggling.

John Dewey

não lida,
16/02/2024, 23:34:2316/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
U R welcome, Steve. The Velominati Rules are a hoot. Required reading 4 sure.

And do not mess with the rules 🤪 !!!

Jock

Philip Williamson

não lida,
18/02/2024, 01:48:5218/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I only know Rule #8 and Rule #5 by heart, and I flout them both.
Except when I don’t.

Philip (surprisingly matchy-matchy on #8) in Sonoma County

George Schick

não lida,
18/02/2024, 09:26:0318/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Huh. I'm not familiar with Rene Hearse brakes.  Pads with adjustable conical washers are not available for these?  Seems like bending an aluminum alloy part like this would be kinda risky.

On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 10:24:15 AM UTC-6 Bill Lindsay wrote:

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
18/02/2024, 11:04:5018/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Rule #9 is on my Mount Rushmore of the Rules.  If I get caught in the rain, I get Rule #9 points.  It's not bad planning; I'm a badass!

BL in EC

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
18/02/2024, 19:52:2418/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
The pre-fenders build is now complete.  It's pouring rain so there's no inaugural ride and the lighting is poor but I took a few shots on my porch of the bike looking like a complete bike.  With two water bottle cages, and a pump, and a front rack the bike is still just under 20 pounds, but I concede it will be over 20 pounds with fenders.

The album is updated, scroll to the end:

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 10:52:20 AM UTC-8 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:

Ryan

não lida,
19/02/2024, 08:59:4619/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
The black tape/saddle/bottle cage combo as per rule#8  works! Noticed the unplugged barends but I am positive this is a detail you haven't overlooked. Nitto barend plugs?  Or something from Rene Herse?

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
19/02/2024, 10:31:5419/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Wine corks go in the bar ends after more shellac

BL in EC

Mike Packard

não lida,
19/02/2024, 10:59:5219/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on the new bike Bill. I always look forward to seeing your builds.

Since there appear to be no existing Velominati rules that govern the use of wine corks for bar ends, is it up to us (RBW Owners Bunch) to create them? I am inventing the role of Velosommolier.

- Must the wine be consumed after the assembly of the bike? Kind of a finishing touch like when they smash a bottle against a new sailing ship?

- Must the wine match the bike in terms of character, whimsical vs serious, light vs heavy, drop bars vs upright bars, etc?

- Must the uniqueness of the wine somewhat match the uniqueness of the bike?

- Must both ends be from the same wine (necessitating 2 bottles) or do you cut the corks in half?

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of wine are you going to use?
Mike in Austin

Ryan

não lida,
19/02/2024, 11:29:4019/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Something local like a Napa Valley rose ??

" Located just north of St. Helena, this state-of-the-art winery features 17,000 square feet of winemaking caves and has three different vineyard AVAs. The 2022 Rosé of Pinot Noir is summer in a bottle, with tastes of sweet watermelon and pink grapefruit leaving you longing for more."

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
19/02/2024, 12:20:0319/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
We have a huge glass jug (two of them actually) where every cork goes.  I just shop from those jugs for the right outside diameter.  About 80% of wine corks are too wide.  I've got a pretty good eye for picking out the ones that'll work, and it is entirely as a mechanic would think of them.  They are a useful object, but contain no "soul" or significance outside of their utility (at least for me).

BL in EC

Steve

não lida,
19/02/2024, 13:33:2519/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,  beautifully done!   Those color matched Honjos are going to be the piece de resistance!!!

Pardon me now while I mop up the puddle of drool from my keyboard.

George Schick

não lida,
19/02/2024, 13:44:4919/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with other commenters - a very nice build and selection of components (I wouldn't be able to tolerate that ass-hatchet saddle, though. It would get me right where my sciatica flares up).  I'm still not entirely on board with the frame/fender color, though, but to each his own.

Matthew Rebmann

não lida,
19/02/2024, 13:50:0019/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
The color isn't my cup of tea either but I absolutely love that you went above and beyond for it. That's a sick build!

vernon brooks

não lida,
19/02/2024, 13:58:4119/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Lovely custom and selection can’t wait to see the finished project! I too recently picked up my wife’s frame that was painted by Rick at D&D. Had to do my best not to chime in with photos and disrupt your thread here.

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
19/02/2024, 14:12:3119/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Start another thread!  Participants on this group love seeing photos of other people's bikes.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

vernon brooks

não lida,
19/02/2024, 14:55:1619/02
para rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good call I think I’ll hold off for a little until I start building and have some more content to share with the group.

Enjoy the new ride Bill!

Michael Ullmer

não lida,
19/02/2024, 17:27:1619/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Very classy build, Bill! I love the boldness of the pink and the contrast with the cream.

Do you know what your max tire size will be with/without fenders? And I assume its built for a 700c wheel?

Can't wait to see it with fenders!

Bill Lindsay

não lida,
19/02/2024, 17:43:0119/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
I expect 700x38 Barlow Pass will fit without fenders.  I test fit a Barlow Pass wheel on the front and there's room.

Honestly I'm probably going to get the Orondo Grade 700x31 tubeless and leave it that way with fenders, semi-permanently.  The build right now has used 700x32 Stampede Pass.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

dylan green

não lida,
19/02/2024, 20:10:5319/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
wow...what a dream bike! congrats.

Sarah Carlson

não lida,
20/02/2024, 09:00:0420/02
para RBW Owners Bunch
Yes Plumber, please share your wife's bike photos! You won't be stealing Bill's pink bike thunder if you make your own post...

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 10:58:41 AM UTC-8 plumber...@gmail.com wrote:
Responder a todos
Responder ao autor
Reencaminhar