A formal request to one of you...

Bill Lindsay

Feb 22, 2023, 1:58:27 PM2/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hereby request that one of you, who intend to purchase a complete bicycle from Rivendell Bicycle Works in the very near future, add to your purchase a Brooks B68 Saddle (only available with a complete bike purchase) and then sell it to me, for a price you believe to be fair, considering my contributions to RBWOB, and the pure audacity of the above request.

Sincerely
Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Sean B.

Feb 22, 2023, 5:55:49 PM2/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

Sent you a DM, but I'm not sure I did it correctly. Let me know if you didn't receive it.

Bill Lindsay

Feb 22, 2023, 6:29:44 PM2/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
You did it correctly.  Thanks for the scorching hot tip!

BL in EC

Joe Bernard

Feb 22, 2023, 6:30:06 PM2/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is all a dastardly plan. Leah thinks everyone should have a Platypus and Bill needs a B68 and somehow I end up with a new bike. "I did it for Leah and Bill." 🙃

dougP

Feb 22, 2023, 7:35:48 PM2/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe: It's for a good cause.

dougP

Garth

Feb 23, 2023, 4:11:53 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think this is perfectly legit request on Bill's part. People sell off parts from complete bikes for all sorts of reasons all the time. So I see this basically as WTB/ISO post.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 23, 2023, 8:31:02 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Woah, woah, wait. I went to bed with no power in an ice storm and woke up to this thread. Bill, did you get your B 68 - and maybe more than one? And JOE! What bike did you get? Say it’s a Platypus!

Bill Lindsay

Feb 23, 2023, 8:42:41 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

I have procured a willing partner who has agreed to conspire with me to get a B68 into my hands.  Dollars have not been exchanged and I don't have the B68 in my hands, but a gentleman's agreement has been struck and I'm confident I'm going to get what I asked for.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bill Lindsay

Feb 23, 2023, 9:20:26 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

Much more importantly, I'm in Michigan this week and it's my first time to see an ice storm.  It's bizarre!  I'm in the snow often, and I'm not unfamiliar to low temperatures, but I've never experienced an ice storm.  For other sheltered softies like me, and ice storm (to me) is when it rains, but it's cold enough on the ground that everything gets wet, nothing dries, and the water freezes faster than it can run off.  Everything that is not salted and not warm is freaking COATED with ice!  It's weird!  Every tree has every branch encased in a thick later of ice.  My rental car is coated with a thick bumpy but transparent sheet of ice.  I have to yank hard to get the door open and break the sheet.  I feel like I'm on a wilderness adventure, here in western Wayne County.

Bill Lindsay
Wayne County Michigan

Steve

Feb 23, 2023, 10:05:37 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hmm...did the B68 sitting in a box in my garage (along with its sprung version cousin) just turn into gold?

Leah Peterson

Feb 23, 2023, 10:10:37 AM2/23/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bill, isn’t it wild? We had no power for awhile last night because the trees came crashing down on the power lines.  There are going to be a lot of forthcoming ortho surgeries as a result of this. The ortho docs will have extra money in the coffers. Walk like a penguin out there…

Here’s our deck:
image0.jpeg
Leah

On Feb 23, 2023, at 9:20 AM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

Leah

Bill Lindsay

Feb 23, 2023, 10:15:43 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The sprung version is still pretty common.  The B68 had been totally out of production...or so I thought.  Rivendell has an OEM deal with Brooks that lets them sell a saddle on a complete bike purchase.  I looked for a loophole with Riv since I'm buying a frameset, and Will very nicely said "Nope, sorry. Only on a new complete bike"  I've learned that there may be other bike companies that have or have had that same deal with Brooks.  So it was not out of production.  It was just a little trickier to procure.

If you think you can convert that B68 in a box into $100, then yes, it's turned to gold.  Offer it and somebody will buy it.
If you wonder if you can convert that B68 in a box into $250, then no, it has not turned to gold.  Nobody is going to buy it at "collector" pricing.  IMO.

BL in EC

jeffrey kane

Feb 23, 2023, 10:43:55 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
That has to be the single most disorienting picture of a deck I've ever seen - I'd be sure to break a bone somewhere trying to step on it (!)

Shoji Takahashi

Feb 23, 2023, 11:02:32 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Indeed, that deck photo is mesmerizing... I can't figure out which way is up.

George Schick

Feb 23, 2023, 11:11:14 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah yes, good ol' Midwest ice storms.  I recall one that came through central Indiana back in the early 90's that was so bad that it took down some of those big 3-phase cross country power lines.  A large deteriorated billboard that had rotted and fallen forward was literally blown back up again by the strong winds coupled with the dense freezing rain.  Ice on tree branches was 1/2 inch thick and the tops of the trees in wood lots were all broken off.  We escaped the one this past week in NE Illinois and it dumped in central and eastern Michigan instead.

Erik

Feb 23, 2023, 11:13:25 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It took me a minute, but if my training in linear perspective is correct: the steel cables closest to the camera and angling "up" to the left are the railing on the edge of the deck itself; the handrail and cables in the intermediate distance are stairs going down to the yard; the background is ice-covered grass.  Or so I think after studying the image.  It would be great photograph to show my drawing students to explain linear perspective for inclined surfaces!

Garth

Feb 23, 2023, 11:28:03 AM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Going for a walk after an episode of freezing rain, or freezing snow, can be some real beautiful experiences. When the sun comes out everything's sparkly and glittery. Taking shorter strides, keeping your feet underneath you, you'll be fine. Having lived in snow and ice all my life, I learned to simply take shorter strides, more on your fore foot rather that on your heels. That's how I walk all the time anymore, nor can I wear shoes with any sort of rise in the heel. Hey, try walking on a grassy hillside barefoot. You quickly learn you have ankles and toes and they're strong, and they can flex and grip the ground ! You also realize how balanced you feel, naturally, at any angle. It's impossible to twist an ankle or knee because your body naturally moves in the direction of the resistance. It's quite amazing. It's much like how cat kneads, that motion. That's how they're so balanced and quiet when they walk, walking forefoot, their weight is always perfectly balanced, using the toes to grip the ground first, then gently dropping the rest of the foot. It's impossible to "thump"while walking, and when out on ice, if your forefoot begins to slip, because you're balanced, centered, and not "on your heels" in apprehension, you naturally adjust "in to it" and you remain upright. This is nothing magical or mysterious, it's the most natural thing in the world !

Leah Peterson

Feb 23, 2023, 11:47:46 AM2/23/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You guys are funny! I just wanted to showcase my icicles. I suppose it was disorienting. Here’s the deck for real:
image0.jpeg
We tore down the ugly, old-fashioned wood one that came with the house. The cabled railings give us a better view and they make spectacular icicles!

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2023, at 11:28 AM, Garth <gart...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Joe Bernard

Feb 23, 2023, 1:08:42 PM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry kids, a little joke. Which didn't come across as a little joke cuz it sounds like something I would do! No new bikes or B68s for Joe! 😬

ascpgh

Feb 23, 2023, 9:50:18 PM2/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

Good thing that car's a rental. Yanking ice-covered car doors will result in the door opening but often minus its seals.

Ice like that is an amazing precipitation, saw lots of it in the Ozarks where we were on that line between classic snow winter lands and those that just get cold and rainy. I had some OG golf shoes (metal spikes) for the worst days to be able to walk to work and the grocery when surfaces were coated in that glass ice. Urban crampons. Natty black and white saddle shoe oxford uppers. I did make some studded tires out of a set of worn TriCross tires with metal screws but that was still a big gamble in that sort of stuff if it isn't flat.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh (66°F)

Pam Bikes

Oct 17, 2023, 8:32:31 AM10/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I want a B68s in honey if anyone is getting a complete.  I'd buy you a replcaement Brooks and exchange for it.