Potential buyer etiquette

Joe Bernard

Aug 4, 2022, 6:28:35 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok kids, my recent experiences with folks who never reply after the first reach-out are starting to make me a little crazy. Ask for the shipping price, make an offer, knock yourselves out, but after I answer the trick is to tell me yay or nay. This used to be common but now I'm constantly being ghosted by people who act like their email suddenly stopped working.

Is this a thing now? Am I just old and crotchety and need to get used to ghosts??

Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard

Aug 4, 2022, 6:43:26 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I guess it's spelled yea. So yay.

Eric Marth

Aug 4, 2022, 7:01:51 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, I think it's fair to expect someone to send you a quick, polite reply. Especially give this is a community of people with shared interests.

It's tough to make sales happen when you're fielding multiple requests, you set something aside, someone doesn't follow up, etc.

Though I must admit I don't think a post like this will sway anyone who doesn't follow up to start doing so. When I sell stuff I definitely give preference to people whose names I recognize as frequent posters and contributors — members, not lurkers!

Joe Mullins

Aug 4, 2022, 7:14:20 PM8/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’ve listed stuff for sale and gotten those types of “ghosted” messages from people who’s names I’ve never seen participate in discussions. I certainly won’t be holding any items for anyone just because they were the first to reach out. If someone says they want it I’ll hold there spot in line, especially if I recognize their name. Perhaps these “ghosters” should be put on the radar of the moderator? Three strikes you’re out?

Just my $.02

Joe in Los Angeles

On Aug 4, 2022, at 4:01 PM, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Joe, I think it's fair to expect someone to send you a quick, polite reply. Especially give this is a community of people with shared interests.

Joe Bernard

Aug 4, 2022, 7:19:04 PM8/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It would probably help if I had a better memory. I often don't recognize member names I know I should, so it's hard to tell who I'm dealing with when I get these emails/texts. It's just frustrating is all, I'm meticulous about communication when I'm looking to buy something so I expect the same. Maybe I should stop expecting that! 🙃

Peter Stock

Aug 4, 2022, 7:33:08 PM8/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If ghosters then show back up a few months (or years) later for something else, I usually remember them and so they lose the privilege of free packing, Best Rate Shipping etc.
Or I just raise the price

peter stock
toronto canada

Eric Marth

Aug 5, 2022, 7:30:02 AM8/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe — I sometimes don't recognize names from the forum so I'll plug their email address into the search bar here on the group to see what turns up. Dozens of posts going back 10 years? Let's party! No posts...at all? Uh, give me a minute.

Ken Yokanovich

Aug 5, 2022, 10:46:52 AM8/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I look at it a bit like posting something on Craigslist or really ANY retail experience. There will always be "tire-kickers," people who take a test drive , try on clothes, ask lots of questions about a product. but never buy. Retail is exhausting.

Kudos and much respect to the team working at Rivendell who have undoubtedly fielded many a phone call or email without a purchase.

Mike Godwin

Aug 5, 2022, 12:45:27 PM8/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a potential buyer and infrequent seller, perhaps I sometimes correspond too much. A Nitto rack or some other jewel, its rare that there are crickets on the other end. Heck, at least crickets make noise! But I never thought of Eric's example, and Ken Y hit the nail on the head. If I sit back and think a bit about whether I should purchase something, even if I decide not to go through with a transaction, I do let the other party know my choice. And there will be more folks in line for the item.  I even do the same with Craigslist ads cuz it is a real PITA for people to flake out.

Just don't let someone know, hey, if you ever want to sell that bike let me know. I've done that a few times over the years and end up with the f/f or bike, but you know what, I've been happy about the purchase even though I had to choke a little bit on the transaction. All good as these items can find a new home sometimes.
Mike SLO CA

Joe Bernard

Aug 5, 2022, 1:24:33 PM8/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Addendum: I'm sure part of the problem is this lousy Google Groups interface that is sending my replies to spam folders. Apparently it's a BIG problem now, to the point that I may just end the practice of trying to sell here. The level of irritation I've experienced the last few times I've posted stuff FS isn't worth it, I'm getting irritated with folks who may not even know I responded to them. Not good! I quit!

Peter Stock

Aug 5, 2022, 1:30:43 PM8/5/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"Just DON'T let someone know, "hey, if you ever want to sell that bike let me know"?
DON'T?
Why not? I would like to know if someone was interested at some point in the future
In fact anytime someone comes to buy a part I will ask them "what frame size do you ride?" And if I get a nice frame that size at some point, I'll keep them in mind.

And what is f/f?

Peter Stock
Toronto Canada

Joe Bernard

Aug 5, 2022, 1:38:30 PM8/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
f/f: frame/fork or frameset.

shopmonkey 39

Aug 9, 2022, 1:17:42 PM8/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi All, first reply, gotta get that post count up to hopefully get a Riv when one pops up that tickles my fancy :)

To the OPs experience, I would have to agree with the frustration.  I do a fair amount of Craigslisting and sometimes even a "sorry its sold" can be quite fulfillling.