Orange Sam in the House

True Golden

Sep 25, 2020, 4:23:53 PM9/25/20
to Digest recipients
I made some changes on my Sam this morning.

Most notable, the shifters, brake levers,
cable housing, 45T outer chain ring and rear derailer.

I need to fine tune positioning of the thumb shifters.

The blue housing seemed cool in my visualization but now installed I'm not too sure.

Also I think the orange pedals will be replaced by silver.

I do kinda dig the blue chain ring.

Paul in Dallas

ImageImageImageImage

Ben Mihovk

Sep 25, 2020, 4:30:38 PM9/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really like the blue housing with the orange. Very sharp! I agree...silver pedals would look better, but I like that blue chainring.

I love thumbies but have only ever used them on the inside of the bar...it's tough for me to visualize, but do you have to take your hand off the grip to shift?

Very good looking bike!

True Golden

Sep 25, 2020, 5:11:05 PM9/25/20
to Digest recipients

Andrew Erman

Sep 25, 2020, 5:12:29 PM9/25/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful!!

On Sep 25, 2020, at 2:10 PM, True Golden <trueg...@att.net> wrote:

Paul in Dallas
<20200925_145409.jpg><20200925_145324.jpg><20200925_145027.jpg>

True Golden

Sep 25, 2020, 5:19:34 PM9/25/20
to Digest recipients
Forgot a full side view.

Yeah, the shifter position has to change.

I can easily shift from grips but they are rubbing grips a bit. I need to experiment.

Joel

Sep 28, 2020, 9:20:30 PM9/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mine is getting built up right now.  The bike mechanic suggested these housings, I was thinking of white but went with these.
B10C43F1-19AD-49D5-AE7F-FDBF814DBF8C.jpeg

velomann

Sep 29, 2020, 1:58:57 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm doing something similar with my upcoming "Dark Gold" Sam, but gold braided ;-)

Mike M

Ash

Sep 29, 2020, 2:32:02 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul,

Nice bike.  The color theme is very cool!

Which grips are those?  Look very comfy.

Joel Stern

Sep 29, 2020, 2:41:13 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is that the 2019 Orange?  It looks very tame in your photo.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/e868b5e3-b216-418a-9472-ca96111e347en%40googlegroups.com.

--
~IMPORTANT~ Note to all~~ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
If you forward this email, please highlight and delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address and maybe others. It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world. Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from obtaining addresses, prevents viruses from being propagated, and limits the proliferation of spam. Also, please use the “BCC” area instead of “TO” and “CC” when forwarding to several people at once.

Toshi Takeuchi

Sep 29, 2020, 2:48:25 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if it's the lighting, but the paint job looks spectacular.  I could be fooled into thinking it's a Joe Bell custom.

Toshi

True Golden

Sep 29, 2020, 5:16:23 PM9/29/20
to Digest recipients
Thanks everyone.

The orange on my Sam looks to me to be more of a pumpkin orange.

The orange grips are

OneUp Components Lock-On Grips.

I'm liking the feel and comfort.
I've temporarily removed them to try to stain them a bit to subdue the bright orange.

I'm pretty sure the guy I bought mine from said it was a 2018 Sam.
He had ridden it very few miles.

I love the look of braided housing and gave used it on a several bikes.
I looked for a dark blue braided housing but couldn't locate any.

I got this blue housing from velo orange.

Paul in Dallas

True Golden

Sep 29, 2020, 5:22:15 PM9/29/20
to Digest recipients
From Sunday ride with my friend.

True Golden

Sep 29, 2020, 5:24:05 PM9/29/20
to Digest recipients
My friend's Homer alongside my Sam.

brendonoid

Sep 29, 2020, 5:27:09 PM9/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would like to vote +1 for keeping those orange pedals. I think it's bold and I respect commitment to a strong colour scheme. Been trying to decide on cable colour for my orange appa and blue was in the lineup. Thanks for the pics!

Joel Stern

Sep 29, 2020, 6:24:50 PM9/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Love this orange, the one I just got is very bright.

masmojo

Oct 1, 2020, 11:30:35 PM10/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul that looks Brilliant! The cable housing & Pedals are fine!
The stone in my shoe is the Handlebars & Stem with adapter: I'm sorry, but they are giving me the Willies! :-(

I've had Blue Components on & off on my Orange Clementine; it's a great look!

True Golden

Oct 3, 2020, 12:34:28 PM10/3/20
to Digest recipients
Years ago I did not care for the aesthetics of this type of stem and stem adapter but they have grown on me.

I guess it's a different strokes for different folks sort of thing.

I still prefer the clean look of a single piece quill stem but don't mind the two piece set ups like I have on my Sam.

When changing our the bars it sure makes it easy.

Note these pics copied from the latest blahg / blog showing a very nice stem / stem adapter set up.

Now I find that look very appealing.

Would love to have something similar.

Paul in Dallas

ImageImage

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Oct 3, 2020, 12:52:27 PM10/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is lovely, but it's not a quill stem adapter, it's an actual threadless steerer with some nice spacers. I use an adapter on a 7/8" steered Soma of old and it's great, but yeah, not quite as beautiful as that Gus steerer.
Great Sam!
-Kai

True Golden

Oct 3, 2020, 2:41:22 PM10/3/20
to Digest recipients
Oh, now that you point it out I see that Kai.

Thanks.

I didn't know Riv even offered threadless steerers.

Or perhaps he had a custom fork made.

It's a beaut either way.

Paul in Dallas