Wildlife on the streets during Stay At Home

Joe Bernard

Mar 31, 2020, 4:25:12 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been seeing a lot of reports of wildlife reclaiming the empty streets as we self-quarantine from COVID19, so I wanted to address it with us riders. In California mountain lions were already becoming more commonplace as the suburbs continue to branch out into their homes, and this will certainly exacerbate now. I'm posting the mountain lion instructions here, but please be aware of bears and any wildlife in general, wherever you are. The streets have gone quiet and they may not expect you to show up on your bike. Eyes forward!

http://www.backcountryattitude.com/mountain-lion-safety.html

Bill Lindsay

Mar 31, 2020, 6:12:52 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Everyone in El Cerrito knows to watch out for the turkeys. Turkeys are either confident or dumb enough that they don't give a hoot about cars.  They will strut down the middle of the road even if there are cars on the road.  They act like they own the town, and fact is, they just might.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Patrick Moore

Mar 31, 2020, 7:23:44 PM3/31/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Oddly, the opposite in my neck of the SW high desert woods: fewer coyotes than during the last few years in our little, infill bosque-side neighborhood, which I attribute largely to the sudden increase in walkers and cyclists along the Middle Rio Grand Conservancy District acequia roads and trails; also, fewer Great Blue Herons and geese and ducks, tho' the geese usually head north starting about this time.

The only really dangerous area animals (apart from killer cottontails*) are rattlesnakes, and it's still to early for those.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:25 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of reports of wildlife reclaiming the empty streets as we self-quarantine from COVID19,

Patrick Moore

Dorothy C

Mar 31, 2020, 9:33:31 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Dorothy C

Mar 31, 2020, 9:35:10 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just noticed the shop name in the background - "Ewe Felty Thing" very appropriate

Philip Williamson

Mar 31, 2020, 11:09:00 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
“This town is coming up a goat’s town!”
That was pretty amusing.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Surlyprof

Apr 1, 2020, 2:46:46 AM4/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a similar encounter on the bike trail the other day. Traffic jam, Niles-style.
https://flic.kr/p/2iKMAcC

John
Niles, CA

Philip Williamson

Apr 1, 2020, 3:22:12 AM4/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That’s fantastic.
Apparently they’re still making Westerns in Niles!

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Surlyprof

Apr 2, 2020, 1:17:38 AM4/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Philip. Loved your Specials reference.

John

Robert Tilley

Apr 8, 2020, 12:40:22 AM4/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
We had an enormous raccoon walk through our backyard the other day. We are up against an open space so not uncommon but he was huge. I went out to check him out and he wasn't too concerned about me. We also had a mountain lion attack a child in daylight with numerous adults around which is odd behavior for a lion. That was in an extra open space I commuted year round through so half the year in the dark.

Luckily we have no bears close to us here. Lots of coyotes, bobcats, deer, owls, hawks... a lot of rabbits as well which should keep most of the predators less interested in us.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device