Last ride of 2022

DavidP

Dec 31, 2022, 4:59:57 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
What was your last ride for the year?

We've been hit with an unseasonably warm spell and this afternoon temps were in the 50s. I went exploring and found a spot I hadn't been to before; not a bad way to end the year.

GR001-004600_bartlett-1800.jpg

Looking forward to the first ride of 2023!

-Dave

Joe Bernard

Dec 31, 2022, 5:51:14 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
A few days ago in between rain storms. I may need to break down and get fenders here in sunny California!

Joe "isn't riding in the rain even with fenders" Bernard

Screenshot_20221231_144757.jpg

aeroperf

Dec 31, 2022, 7:31:47 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thursday it had finally warmed up enough here in Atlanta that I went for a pleasure ride (about 13 miles) on the Silver Comet Trail.

Besides the “Boy, am I out of shape” feeling, a 6-point buck jumped up next to me and start leaping along about 30 feet to my right.  We see a number of deer on the Comet, but usually from a distance and crossing the trail, not running parallel and close.  I remember thinking “I sure hope he doesn’t decide to join me - I would not survive” before he cut off and headed away from the trail.

It was an excellent way to close out the year, even if it did get my heart rate going a little faster than usual.

George Schick

Dec 31, 2022, 7:41:12 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My last ride of 2022 was yesterday, Dec. 30, when I went for a three block ride to the likker store and back.  At least the snow hat all melted and the temps were in the 40's.

Paul Clifton

Dec 31, 2022, 9:49:23 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The rain held off all day (12/31), after about 10:30 AM, down here in Indian Pass, Florida, so my daughter and I got in almost 7 miles to the boat launch and back on the Gus with a rented coPilot
NYE-2022-Indian-Pass.jpg
FWIW - the Gus with 2.8" tires rides fantastically in beach sand. I'll get it out in the marsh tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Paul usually in AR

Kim Hetzel

Dec 31, 2022, 11:11:15 PM12/31/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I went on a two mile-ish ride near my home. It was mildly warm at 48 degrees with sunshine and a chill in the air. I am glad that I go out.
Dialing in my SR MTE-100 seat post and adjusting the tension on my Brooks B-67S saddle. I am getting there.

Happy New Year to one and all !
May you listen, learn and love.
May the spirit of adventure take you to discover new sights and places you have never been to in the coming new year on your favorite bicycle.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.
December 31, 2022.jpg

Patrick Moore

Jan 1, 2023, 3:19:08 PM1/1/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mine was on 12/30 and described in another thread: ~12 m rt extension of a 1.8 m rt trip to the nearest Sprout's. Skipped 12/31, but rode 13 miles rt to church and back this morning, and found that the brisk if short (~6.5m) outbound ride at ~39*F was an excellent specific for mild overindulgence the night before.

JohnS

Jan 1, 2023, 4:15:38 PM1/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
My son (who's 20 and rides my old Salsa Casseroll) and I were out for about 20 mile ride on the D&L on Friday, from Slatington north to the Dunkin's in Lehighton . Great weather conditions, around 50, no wind. Trail conditions weren't so good, with many sections of the hard packed gravel were saturated by recent rains and spring like thaw. We had to walk about 1/4 mile where there the trail was covered in ice, a shady section near the Lehighton water treatment plant (always a few degrees cooler along here). I felt like we were members of the Rough Stuff Fellowship. Nonetheless, we had a great time and enjoyed being outside for a few hours. The trail is different this time of year, all the leaves are down and you see more than you do otherwise.

Happy New Years Everyone,
John

Eric Norris

Jan 1, 2023, 4:31:37 PM1/1/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Quite windy here in the Sacramento area today for Last Ride of 2022. Here are some newly replanted orchards near the rural community of Winters.

100_1677.jpeg

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Ryan Frahm

Jan 1, 2023, 4:31:57 PM1/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not a long ride yesterday but it was a rough 7 miles of mostly icy trails! Starting to miss my fat bike!
0BECE652-9BE7-4191-825B-E8E58C368EE2.jpeg

larson....@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2023, 9:16:31 PM1/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
01E5D320-4F70-4B26-B873-D569FF7A87CB.jpegMine last ride on 12/30. Nice afternoon, temp in low 30s. Out for a couple of hours exploring. My Appaloosa shown here on a bridge across the Pecatonica River. Those icy trails look treacherous!
Randy in Wisconsin

ascpgh

Jan 2, 2023, 9:47:27 AM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
No pictures but I rode home after work about 9pm Saturday in the rainy 40°s.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Brian Turner

Jan 2, 2023, 11:09:09 AM1/2/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not much of a “last ride” for 2022, but a good ride nonetheless. Here’s the only pic I managed to take - of my buddy Huston (who’s long been a member here) on his Atlantis as we made our way to our local Trader Joe’s to stock up on snacks and provisions for New Year’s Eve:
image1.jpeg

On Jan 2, 2023, at 9:47 AM, ascpgh <asc...@gmail.com> wrote:

No pictures but I rode home after work about 9pm Saturday in the rainy 40°s.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 2, 2023, 11:53:51 AM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had to (HAD TO) ride on December 31st.  My compulsive nature required it: earlier in the month I noticed that I was in third place for the most total new miles ridden in Alameda County, CA on Wandrer.earth.  The prize for logging the most new miles was ~300 points.  In second place above me was my friend Doug.  In first place was a rider who I don't know.  I clicked their map and this is clearly a San Jose cyclist who has done "everything" in Santa Clara County and has explored randomly but impressively up into Alameda County.  So, given the challenging but achievable mileage deficit, and the identities of the competition, I decided to take a run at it.  I made a big push on Dec 28th, riding 100k on the one nice day between storms.  I did a short rainy ride on the 29th and a very short one on the 30th.  I had only 6 miles to go on the 31st, but the weather was really dreadful.  For context, it turned out to have been the wettest single day in San Francisco in the last 170 years.  I chose a very flat residential neighborhood on Alameda Island to go pick up my 6 new miles.  I rode about 14 miles total and picked up 8.5 new miles and was absolutely drenched.  I certainly had the roads to myself.  Fortunately it was not terribly cold.

In almost any other situation, it would not have been a day for riding.  I was pleased to achieve my target of winning the annual Wandrer bonus, and I'm finding that those small, measurable victories help my state of mind.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

DavidP

Jan 2, 2023, 12:33:13 PM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Bill! I started Wandring this year and have enjoyed covering new roads (or in some cases roads I've ridden but never tracked). My first ride of 2023 involved some Wandring.

-Dave

rlti...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2023, 1:06:17 AM1/3/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My last ride for the year was an e-cargo bike ride to the grocery store. On the way home I had a shift cable failure so I had to ride home in the lowest gear spinning like mad. So, my New Year’s resolution has now become learning how to replace shift cables on a Nuvinci/Enviolo hub.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 31, 2022, at 2:00 PM, DavidP <dphi...@gmail.com> wrote:

What was your last ride for the year?

We've been hit with an unseasonably warm spell and this afternoon temps were in the 50s. I went exploring and found a spot I hadn't been to before; not a bad way to end the year.

<GR001-004600_bartlett-1800.jpg>

Looking forward to the first ride of 2023!

-Dave

<GR001-004600_bartlett-1800.jpg>

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 4, 2023, 2:14:59 PM1/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
606EFEA5-0DAE-43AD-A83D-A881ADA9E73A.jpeg
That day that the temperature went from 60 to zero in no time, I positioned a busted piece of plexiglass to protect my bars from freezing up, along with my standard saddle protector.
The night was a cold one, around six fahrenheit, and as I made my way towards the Queensboro/Ed Koch bridge I felt a massive mystery thing enter and leave my tire. Having forgotten to stick an emergency tube in my fixit kit, I was faced with the shame of hiking to the Subway, but certainly not before I made a pathetic attempt to fix the finger sized hole in my tire. I had to hurry as my both my fingers and my sealant were freezing up (took some time to warm up the tip of my backup sealant bottle’s applicator tube to get it over my valve,  needing to add some as I’d lost a lot of the stuff). Anyhows, 4 tire worms later and I was back in business! Notice the freezing sealant, it was a miracle.
Most worms I’d ever used before was two, hope to never see another hole that big on a night so cold…
C0E7C619-2F09-48B8-99B6-274BAF87167C.jpeg

After the few miles left on the home bound journey-
B7F9CA64-CFF2-45C9-87DF-3B9F32EAB606.jpeg
Happy New Year everyone!
-Kai

Patrick Moore

Jan 5, 2023, 10:13:42 AM1/5/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kai: I'm glad the multi-plug method worked. Can you describe the size of the hole and how you got the first plugs to "stick" in place while you added the others?

I ask because I once had a piece of cane stalk go through my rear Big One leaving a little-finger-size hole. I tried to install the standard worms but each would just fall into the cavity when I inserted the next one, and I finally ran out. This left me walking 5 miles home in spd shoes. Fortunately this was in pleasantly cool fall weather, not in the dead of winter.

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Jan 5, 2023, 10:14:37 AM1/5/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
PS: I later bought some exotic and expensive plugs meant for big holes and now carry both types, but if there's an effective technique for using the little ones in big holes, I'd love to learn it.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 5, 2023, 9:55:02 PM1/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Three worms was easy, I had to hold the three while I used the pronged worming needle to coax the 4th into place. They’re all half length worms as I cut them to make the worms last, but if I hadn’t, it would’ve been better to have used two worms doubled over into four, then the curves of the worms could act as a wedge. The freezing temperatures might’ve been to my benefit, otherwise the warm rubber goo factor would’ve likely caused the worms to worm out of there pronto.
So, it was luck. Might need some of those specialty large plugs for the next time…
-Kai

Patrick Moore

Jan 6, 2023, 8:20:57 PM1/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, if the hole you plugged was big enough for 4 plugs you did very well; as I said, all of mine simply vanished into the void until I ran out. It was a mid-fall day, perhaps low or mid 50s so perhaps the remaining OS acted as a lubricant.

I've not yet had to test one of the "fat" plugs, but I'm glad I have them!