FS: Clem Smith Jr Disc 59

jstewse

Mar 12, 2020, 12:00:29 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Time to pass this Clem along

59cm Clem Smith Jr H
Disc tabs added by Walt at Waltworks.  Makes a great bike even better.

Check out the photos and contact me with any questions.

$875 shipped to you

Karl

Mar 12, 2020, 8:42:33 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wish I could unsee this!!

Christopher Cote

Mar 12, 2020, 9:21:45 PM3/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish it was the next size smaller. Maybe I'm glad it's not.

Chris

Mike Williams

Mar 12, 2020, 9:21:54 PM3/12/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Karl <karl....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wish I could unsee this!!

Michael Morrissey

Mar 13, 2020, 10:26:18 AM3/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would be buying this if it were a size 52. Out of curiosity, do you have any pics of it built up, and how much did it cost to get the disc tabs welded on?

jstewse

Mar 19, 2020, 11:28:01 AM3/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some inquirers but no takers, hows about $825 shipped

Matthew P

Mar 22, 2020, 3:46:29 PM3/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would also like to know how much it cost to get the disc tabs put on, and any feedback on that.

Did it include paint?  Was that vertical piece under the rear tab added?

Is Waltworks the best option for this?  Perhaps I'll start a new thread.

I'm interested in getting disc tabs on an Atlantis, for the braking, but perhaps more so that I can fit & swap wider tires at 650b and not as wide at 700c.

Thank you.
-Matthew
San Diego

Patrick Moore

Mar 22, 2020, 7:56:45 PM3/22/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Someone else onlist had his Atlantis disc-ified; perhaps he will speak up?

He showed me a photo of the final result; very nice looking bike with the alteration and repaint.

Perhaps all of this will push Grant into making a disc off road model; then we'll push him into hub gears.

Patrick Moore

Drw

Mar 22, 2020, 8:05:04 PM3/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fitz made me a disc fork for my Atlantis, still working on getting all the parts for the transition. I'm not the one with the full disc Atlantis, i think that is William. His bike gave me the idea, but i believe his is also a new fork and mod on the back.  i reached out to a number of builders who wouldn't put disc tabs on the stock Atlantis fork

Corwin

Mar 22, 2020, 11:33:59 PM3/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
As I recall, the Atlantis with a fork modified for disc brakes involved a crash and an extensive rebuild.

Forks need to be much stiffer to handle disc brakes.

I doubt you will get Grant to offer a bike based solely on disc brakes.

...Unless you agree with him that rim brakes are the ultimate disc brakes.

Namaste,

Corwin

On Friday, March 13, 2020 at 7:26:18 AM UTC-7, Michael Morrissey wrote:
I would be buying this if it were a size 52. Out of curiosity, do you have any pics of it built up, and how much did it cost to get the disc tabs welded on?

jstewse

Mar 23, 2020, 10:42:09 AM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello all, thanks for the interest.  I actually bought this second hand from another list member who hired Walt to do the conversion.  I can't speak to the exact amount, but I believe it was in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks.  No paint, this frame is just rattle-canned on the disc mounts.

William P, the vertical piece added between the chainstays is a brace, stiffens up that area where the brake is.  Very common on disc brake bikes.

Atlantis fork is probably a no-go, I imagine you'd have a hard time finding a builder willing to do that for you, but Walt checked the tubing spec on the fork of Ol' Clem Smith here, and determined it to be of sufficient wall thickness to support a disc-mount.

Jonathan D.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:22:20 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I reached out to Walt since there seems to be a lot of interest. Here are the details for anyone interested. I would be really curious to hear folks experience.

I typically charge $100 for the frame (including the crossbrace between seatstay/chainstay). Forks (if I think it's appropriate) are $75.

That doesn't include any repainting or shipping cost. I can powdercoat a frameset for $250 in any color in the Prismatic catalog, though.

chris feczko

Mar 24, 2020, 2:15:32 PM3/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

This is my disc modded Atlantis. Purchased form a list member a while ago and I finally had it almost built up. Fork is custom from Clockwork.

IMG_1935.JPG

Matthew P

Mar 25, 2020, 4:23:18 PM3/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful Chris.
I like the bars (Hunter-Nitto Smooth Moves?) and tires too.
Is that a 58 cm - 700c ?  Or a 56 cm - 650b?  And are the Thunderburts 2.1" or 2.25" wide, or other?
Do you have more info on it posted anywhere else?  Or please share here all you'd like.
I'll have to check out Clockwork.

I have a 56 cm - 650b MUSA Atlantis with 2.35" Nobby Nic's and Magic Mary's (front and back or the other way around).
And I have a 58 cm - 700c Toyo Atlantis arriving next week.
The 56 cm Atlantis is rideable but smaller than ideal, I think.  Hence the 58 cm.  One will be for (re-)sale soon.

I'm curious how wide a tire I can fit on the 58 cm - 700c Toyo.  I'd like to maybe get above 2.2" wide, but above that, I think I'd want the wheel to be 650b.
That is the main driver for my interest in going to disc brakes - to change wheel sizes, and less so to maybe not fatigue my hands braking all day wet, loaded, offroad etc.
Something like 700c x 40-50mm smoothish tires for the road and 650b x 2.2-2.4" for trails would be nice.

Thanks all for the great info.
-Matthew
San Diego

William!

Mar 25, 2020, 9:32:27 PM3/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here’s the backstory (and photos) on my Atlantis, which I converted to discs + 650b
https://bikepacking.com/news/readers-rig-williams-rivendell-atlantis/

chris feczko

Mar 26, 2020, 12:48:42 PM3/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Matthew,

Bars are Simworks getaround which I had laying around. This is a 61cm Toyo. Not sure of the year. The tires are 2.1 TB's. The blunt 35's are great though. Amazingly light and wide! First time I've been able to get a tire to measure to their stated width. I have a little room in the rear and I might be able to go 2.25 but not worth it to me. Fork can fit a 2.4 I believe. Check out WIlliam's build above. Much more elegant!

Thanks

Chris

jstewse

Apr 23, 2020, 10:13:30 AM4/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I still have this frame, if anyone needs a project.  $800 shipped.

Maybe worth mentioning that it does still have canti studs as well as disc tabs, like those early Surly Karate Monkeys, so you've got options depending on your parts bin resources are.

Brett Callahan

Apr 23, 2020, 9:00:11 PM4/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
@William, Did you replace the jockey wheels on the Altus rear derailleur?

William!

Apr 23, 2020, 10:07:37 PM4/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sharp eye Brett 😉

jstewse

Jun 15, 2020, 10:22:14 AM6/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bumping this thread in case anyone has the urge for a big Clem Smith.

I think I have to stick to $800 shipped, this is a big bike and likely won't be cheap to put in the mail.

Please let me know if you're interested, thanks!