Geo Question

Hugh Smitham

Jan 10, 2020, 11:35:32 PM1/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone know the stack height on a Riv 58cm A.H.H?

TIA,

Hugh

Eric G

Jan 11, 2020, 12:04:38 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hugh Smitham

Jan 11, 2020, 12:34:41 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Eric.

I didn't think the stack was that much.

Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Jan 11, 2020, 1:28:50 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also thanks for that website Eric

Richard Rios

Jan 11, 2020, 1:29:06 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Hugh,

Hope all is good. Just as a general observation I find adding the degree by which the top tube upslopes to the seat tube length gets ya pretty close. Not sure why Riv hasn't gone to sizing by stack rather than seat tube. I think the stack gives a better idea of how the bike will really fit. Man I miss my 56 Sam Hillborne with around 62 stack height. Bars got up there nice and comfy without a ton of stem sticking out. Any way maybe it's just so people can handle a smaller larger size. What, I ride a 52 Clem that's so big. If ya tell someone it fits kinda like a 58/9 🤯.

Best,
Richard

Hugh Smitham

Jan 11, 2020, 8:25:22 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Richard,

Happy new year! Hope all is good with you and yours, doing good over here.

Thanks for that easy math addition. 62 cm stack is up there for sure. Very few bike frames outside of maybe a Fargo get that kind of stack height sure there some others tho. Definitely and upside for Rivendell frames.

Let's plan a ride in 2020.

Hugh

Richard Rios

Jan 11, 2020, 10:13:07 AM1/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh,

Happy new year. Been busy but good. Would love to get out there for a ride. It's been a while. Free time has been dedicated to other projects of late. Picked up playing music again after almost a 20 year hiatus. It would be great to blow the dust of the old Rivs and get out there again. And simple math is all I can do, so i just got lucky on that one 😉 😆. I'm part of the I like high bars club, but not the look of mucho stem sticking out. So that little ditty helps me stay close. Although my Atlantis at 56 is a bit on the small side and a bit quillyish for me.🤔 Got a riser stem I've been sitting on forever to straighten that out a bit. Any way, know anyone that's got a garage queenish 58 local to socal that might be willing to swap. I'd be open...👍

Best,
Richard

Jason Fuller

Jan 14, 2020, 6:20:36 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very much agree that stack and reach should be the most prominent geometry numbers on any geo chart - but unfortunately, not too many people have a feel for them, myself included to be honest!

Hugh Smitham

Jan 14, 2020, 6:54:41 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jason,

That Geo website really helps especially in comparisons. I too am challenged by those two Geo numbers and agree they should be prominent right up with standover I'm attempting to rectify my deficiency.

Hugh

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 3:20 PM Jason Fuller <jtf.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very much agree that stack and reach should be the most prominent geometry numbers on any geo chart - but unfortunately, not too many people have a feel for them, myself included to be honest!

Chris L

Jan 14, 2020, 7:49:22 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A very basic understanding of Stack and Reach has been very helpful for me.  I know a bike with a Reach in the 300's will be too short for me and that a stack of about 600 is the minimum for my preferred bar height.

Hugh Smitham

Jan 14, 2020, 8:12:25 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chris,