long wheelbase, Hillibikes + tray racks

368 katselukertaa
Siirry ensimmäiseen lukemattomaan viestiin

Brian Turner

lukematon,
20.6.2022 klo 13.00.4420.6.2022
vastaanottaja RBW Owners Bunch
My apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone had any success carrying their Gus / Susie / Clem / Appaloosa / Platy on a hitch-mounted tray rack such as the Kuat NV 2.0 (my rack)? I'm about to take ownership of a Gus very soon, and I'm wondering if there's any chance it'll work somehow. Looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem like these bikes would possibly fit, as the rear wheel would stick out too far for the retaining straps to effectively grab the rear wheel.

My next question is, has anyone found a way to rig this type of rack so that it can safely carry these long wheelbase bikes?

thanks!
Brian

JAS

lukematon,
20.6.2022 klo 15.27.2920.6.2022
vastaanottaja RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 1UP rack and my bikes fit fine.
   Clem size 52 cm with a 117cm wheelbase (tires are 650b x 48)
   Platypus size 55 cm with a 122 cm wheelbase (tires are 700x42)

I did my best to measure the wheelbase of each bike, but they might be slightly off by a cm or so.

--Joyce

Joe Mullins

lukematon,
20.6.2022 klo 15.34.4820.6.2022
vastaanottaja rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had a 1up rack but it got stolen! The thieves must have had the special allen key. It was locked with the key lock that 1up sells but they got through that no problem. Don’t leave your 1up racks on your car in Los Angeles!

It would have fit my new Susie no problem.

Joe

On Jun 20, 2022, at 12:27 PM, JAS <swanso...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a 1UP rack and my bikes fit fine.

JAS

lukematon,
21.6.2022 klo 0.32.5021.6.2022
vastaanottaja RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
Oh, that hurts!  I'm so sorry about your rack.  Thank you for the advice.  Fortunately, I don't have to worry about L.A., but it's good to be aware a determined thief can get through the lock.

Joyce

Wally Estrella

lukematon,
21.6.2022 klo 10.21.2621.6.2022
vastaanottaja RBW Owners Bunch
I confirmed yesterday that a GBW will fit just fine in a 1-Up rack.  The wheelbase is about 53 inches on Gus.  The length of the rail on 1-Up is 54" which is what 1-Up states as max wheelbase.  The Equip-D says it can take a 56" wheelbase.

Brian Turner

lukematon,
7.7.2022 klo 2.27.327.7.2022
vastaanottaja RBW Owners Bunch
Now that I have my Gus frame in-hand, I can confirm that the wheelbase of the Medium (54cm) frame is 50". Kuat's specs for my rack, the NV 2.0, says it will carry bikes with wheelbases up to 50" with the front wheel cradles in the "down" position... so fingers crossed that spec is correct in practice. I'll need to wait until I can get a wheelset on it to test to make sure, but at least now I'm hopeful!

-b
Vastaa kaikille
Vastaa kirjoittajalle
Välitä