Ride Report: Three Days, Three States, Three Countries

Deacon Patrick

Jun 11, 2019, 6:29:35 PM6/11/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In which I take Beorn of the Gus Boots Willsen Clan on his first bikepacking adventure expotition and he surprises me with his epic land-travel speed via a fog teleportation experience that saw me in Colorado, Scotland, Tibet, the Pacific Northwest, back to Colorado and briefly to Arizona.

https://deaconpatrick.org/three-days-three-states-three-countries-by-beorn-the-bikepacking-wonder

WETH

Jun 11, 2019, 7:13:07 PM6/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,
The photo with the “undulating plateau” description is stunning. As I’ve come to expect, a wonderful narrative and beautiful photos!
Thanks,
Erl

Patrick Moore

Jun 11, 2019, 8:14:39 PM6/11/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks for this, Patrick; wonderful photos as usual, with entertaining commentary. The juxtaposition of photos and mediations leads me to recall the text, "God is the cause of all things by His beauty" -- Dionysius? -- in the manner that the sun "naturally" sends forth light.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

Tom Horton

Jun 11, 2019, 10:07:23 PM6/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks for the epic journey deacon. I am reading it just before taking off on a kayak trip, which has its merits...but my you make me want to trade the paddle for the pedal and jump the next westbound flight from chesapeake bay...what a treat!  tom horton

Hetchins52

Jun 12, 2019, 1:20:40 AM6/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow! Spectacular!
Thank you, Patrick!

David Lipsky

ascpgh

Jun 12, 2019, 7:08:30 AM6/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Breathtaking. Thanks for your insight to stop, photograph and recall for description the scenes you capture. That "undulating plateau" surely comes under the descriptions of montane ecosystems (the Wikipedia article nicely categorizes) but you'll have to decide since so much depends on where you are proximate to the tree line.

Patrick M.'s "God is the cause of all things by His beauty" -- Dionysius? -- in the manner that the sun "naturally" sends forth light." is good, I'd add the obligation of individuals to recognize and appreciate such. I did, and I wasn't even there! If but to catch a whiff of the dry pinion-scented breeze.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

tc

Jun 12, 2019, 7:20:43 AM6/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wonderful story and photos, Patrick. You have a beautiful backyard! Grant is quite lucky to have such a field tester.

Tom

Carla Waugh

Jun 12, 2019, 6:16:13 PM6/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Where did you leave from? Great story and photographs!!!

in Dallas nick

Jun 12, 2019, 6:50:56 PM6/12/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

I enjoyed pics and narrative as usual.
Thanks for sharing.

You probably have shared your gearing set up
somewhere.

Mind listing it again?

Paul in Dallas
Actually enjoying a Colorado adventure myself this week in vicinity of Steamboat  Springs,  a lovely area also.

12 miles today on a rental bike.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 12, 2019, 10:08:40 PM6/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you, all! I am delighted you enjoy the vicarious journey through the pixels. Grin.

Patrick, Aye. Monks strive for contemplation in prayer, which I've heard defined as entering so fully into the now that all nows are present and that is to taste God.Out here, beauty strikes like a bludger. Grin.

Andy, Ah! The scents light up the olfactory "flavonoid" centers of the brain. The cooler air punctuates them, brings a bold edge to the sage and piñon blunt force. and draws out a sweet deepness to the wafts of angelic floral wings. Then the crisp purple morning before dawn blends beautifully with the moist tangy piercing mountain herbs added to the sage and piñon. One of the things that "wakes up" my brain is these flavonoid centers in the brain (not medically correct usage, but I think you'll know what I mean). I'm always reminded of the descriptions of scents in "Heidi" and their healing powers.

Carla, I'll let Tolkien answer your question, via Bilbo: “The Road goes ever on and on. Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say” (Fellowship of the Ring).

Paul, Enjoy Colorado, especially the bits that are accessible with all this amazing lingering snow! Holler if you'll be down Colorado Springs way. It's 1x11, unsure the details, but gear range is 18"-78" and I used the full range, though I tend to shift 3-6 at a time as fixed gear ruined me for nuanced shifting. I like being ruined in that way. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Carla Waugh

Jun 13, 2019, 10:08:50 AM6/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick I tried your cold brew method and it was delicious. My adventure wasn’t extraordinary but the cold brew made it much more interesting.

Craig Montgomery

Jun 14, 2019, 6:11:30 AM6/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah Patrick. Ah the Southwest. Ah wilderness. It's wonderful. From the Rockies to the Basin and Range.

Craig in Tucson

From my own backyard:

36767760634_23b5c9efae_b.jpg

Deacon Patrick

Jun 14, 2019, 2:47:25 PM6/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sweet shot, Craig! Vast, sweeping landscapes are amazing to behold.

With abandon,
Patrick