RBW 25 -Atlantic side of things

Wally Estrella

Jan 3, 2019, 9:11:32 AM1/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hey Folks:

Opening a new post on the RBW 25 'tis a gathering.  I'd love to attend the west coast 'moot, but it's too far for this prancing pony.  How about a northeast/east coast 'moot-up?

I posted it on Instagram as well @wickedwoolly.  I think there are some folks on here and over there, but not all are in both spots, thus this post to reach out to get all Hobbits notified.

Hit me up offline w/ your name/email/location, subject the email ‘Rivmoot 25’.  The initial thinking is a spring/summer ‘moot somewhere in Massland.  May also create a poll to gather a general consensus on date/location.   Make it a day event? Make it an S24O with some rides? Tear Isengard down? What to do? What to do?

In other east coast related news.  Punxsutawney Philbo Paggins has emerged from his hole in the ground.......it'll be an early spring with many more years of riding on leather and RBW.

CHEERS!

Wally, further east of the Iron Hills, in Maine

Ben Obrien

Jan 21, 2019, 3:28:42 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
whoops, Wally, i just started the same thread, sorry about that. i am interested! let's do this!

one place i had in mind after talking with Alex from Yellowhaus was Minnewaska State Preserve in the Hudson Valley.

camping options, carriage roads, good food in the area, etc. also easy to get to from most directions.

Wally Estrella

Jan 21, 2019, 4:08:53 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep! On the list of things to do that aren't work related.  I've been busy w/ work, but should be able to spice this up later this week.

Pam Bikes

Jan 21, 2019, 5:12:56 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd love to do an East Coast Riv ride in the South East - Charlotte, NC.  Anybody else?

esoterica etc

Jan 21, 2019, 7:38:03 PM1/21/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hey Pam, I’m in Raleigh and would be game for an East Coast get-together, or just a local NC meet-up. I know there are a few other NC’ers here on RBW and iBOB as well.

~Mark

Fullylugged

Jan 21, 2019, 9:03:12 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in central AL and would drive to the carolinas for a meet-up.

Kainalu V.

Jan 21, 2019, 9:05:10 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Minnewaska state preserve's 22 miles from the Poughkeepsie train station, that's a handy option coming from NYC (or anywhere else, as Poughkeepsie's the center of it all).
-Kai
BKNY

Tony DeFilippo

Jan 21, 2019, 9:12:59 PM1/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Love the idea of an East Coast Moot, closer to DC would be ideal but I'd love to try and make a NE it SE venue to!

Wally Estrella

Jan 22, 2019, 7:12:30 AM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Folks:

OK, there seems to be enough interest for a two'fer on the east coast.  A Nor'Easter and a So'Easter.  NE will probably be western-ish NY/eastern MA area.  Alex/Ben -yes?

If someone in the mid-Atlantic/south could grab the cork grips on this to lead a group that would be GREAT! Thanks!

CHEERS!
Wlly

Marc Irwin

Jan 22, 2019, 9:27:27 AM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I might be game for one or the other, depending on the logistics.  I'll keep an eye out for this thread.

Marc

lconley

Jan 22, 2019, 10:09:39 AM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

I am in Florida - anything up to Virginia is a single day drive.

Laing

Cocoa, FL

Eric Chatham

Jan 22, 2019, 12:11:23 PM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric here, in the ‘burbs of Atlanta, GA. I know there are a couple of folks also in the Atlanta area. I also would enjoy a SE meetup. I live on the east end of the Silver Comet Trail, a 61.5 paved Rails To Trails that goes from Smyrna, GA to the Alabama state line. It connects with the 33 mile Chief Ladiga Trail, which runs approximately 33.5 miles (are you near that end, fullylugged?). This would be the perfect place for a SE meetup, almost 100 miles of car-free riding! There are several campsites along the trail, two in GA and one in Alabama, as well as a few hotel options in the general vicinity. Although I do a lot of motorcycle riding in NC, I’ve yet to pedal there, so I find that appealing as well.

Even more Riv content: I’m taking delivery today of a Cheviot frameset and moving most parts to it from a Sam Hillborne complete bike, so there will be a 62cm SH frame up for sale in the near future, if anyone is interested!

Peace and bicycle grease,

Eric C.

Bruce Herbitter

Jan 22, 2019, 12:20:08 PM1/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The trail works great for me. We run 100, 200 and 300k rides on it during the year. The Ft Payne area features a canyon or you can climb Lookout Mtn. Or both. The TRED routes north of Rome and the Chickamagua battleground park are wonderful. GA is Full of bike routes plus the trail too.

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Blunt

Jan 22, 2019, 1:13:59 PM1/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The trails along the Delaware River Valley in PA are also good offerings for a gathering.

Ben Obrien

Jan 22, 2019, 1:14:41 PM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
great, i added the link to this conversation to the Riv Owners Facebook group too, to try and get some more interest going...

Steve Palincsar

Jan 22, 2019, 1:38:55 PM1/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

And indeed, we had a Riv group meeting at the Delaware Water Gap in 2013, organized by Montclair Bobby B.  Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2169588@N24/

Buttermilk Falls

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Rusty Click

Jan 22, 2019, 6:02:43 PM1/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi everyone,
I am gonna keep an eye on this.  Coming from Pittsburgh gives me the option to pick whichever destination fits the schedule better.  Let's Ride.

Rusty Click
Pgh  PA

Spencer

Jan 23, 2019, 12:17:43 PM1/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wally, Ben, Alex...
I can personally vouch for Minisaska (sp)?
It is beautiful there, breathtaking views, Geojoe’s head will explode as a result of the rock faces.
There is a nice 20 mile loop, a swimming spot etc, I don’t know anything about the camping.
There are many nice carriage trails (smooth gravel) no killer grades, close to the thruway exit, hotels, etc.
They do charge to access the place but if you have never seen it, it is worth a visit, I try to do a ride there each year.

Spencer

Jan 23, 2019, 12:17:49 PM1/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I will follow this with great interest, Minnewaska is a breathtakingly beautiful place, if you have never seen it. Close to major transportation, also for those that want to ride plats, just within a 15min drive (maybe an hour bike ride, is the Walkway over the Hudson State park and connections to 2 very nice rail trails.  The riding at Minnewaski is well maintained carriage roads, most can be ridden single speed, maybe a couple grades that you will need to get a run at. Also some trails that would be more fun with gears. Western Ma would be great too.
I shall keep a lookout posted to watch for the signal fires!

512.JPG

 510.JPG

504.JPG

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 9:11:32 AM UTC-5, Wally Estrella wrote:

Hey Folks:

Opening a new post on the RBW 25 'tis a gathering.  How about a northeast/east coast 'moot-up?

I posted it on Instagram as well @wickedwoolly.  I think there are some folks on here and over there, but not all are in both spots, thus this post to reach out to get all Hobbits notified.

Todd Ferguson

Jan 23, 2019, 12:29:41 PM1/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love the Minnewaska idea. Did some hiking up there in early December and wish I had my bike!

Todd from Brooklyn

Bob Ehrenbeck

Jan 23, 2019, 4:52:45 PM1/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was going to post the exact same thing!

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

Fullylugged

Jan 24, 2019, 7:38:59 AM1/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Silver Comet / Chief Ladiga Trail combo offers 100 miles of rail trail (with 1 hilly section near Rockmart GA) and the area abounds with other scenic options like Little River Canyon, Chickamaugua Battle Park, Lookout Mountain, etc.

Bob B

Jan 24, 2019, 8:46:25 AM1/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't get to do a ton of trail riding, as I live in the city, but the Minnewaska trails are the best I've ever ridden. Long, flowy, easy, super scenic. Areas where you come out into open prairies that are the closest thing I've seen on the east coast to those bucolic hills the Rivbike team gets to ride to from their shop. So I'm game for that, but also open to other ideas.

Bob B
Brooklyn, NY

jandrews

Jan 24, 2019, 1:46:25 PM1/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on Minnewaska ...I would join that ride.   It's a very beautiful park and nice climbs and lookouts on the roads leading up to it.   Excellent carriage roads once in the park.   I saw two bears there on one day a couple years ago.  The roads can get very trafficy depending on the day of the week and the season though.

RichS

Jan 24, 2019, 4:48:57 PM1/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bruce, excellent suggestion. Certainly enough Riv/Rivish riders within a couple of hundred miles to make this a well attended and fun event.

Regards,
Rich in ATL

Call Me Jay

Jan 24, 2019, 7:18:37 PM1/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
In for Minnewaska! Great venue.

jandrews

Jan 25, 2019, 3:23:03 PM1/25/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
FYI
not sure if there is a person or group of people doing the coordination/planning for this..
But I'm working with someone who owns a hotel/lodge in Minnewaska.  I mentioned this to him yesterday and he said that depending on the date(s) and size of the group he could likely accommodate a large-ish group with a group rate and bike storage, etc.
If there's anyone who'd like me to make an intro or take that initial communication on myself...I'd be happy too.
Jason

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 7:18:37 PM UTC-5, Call Me Jay wrote:
In for Minnewaska!  Great venue.

REC (Roberta)

Jan 28, 2019, 2:43:04 AM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll do the ride in Minnewaska (I have family halfway between Philadelphia, where I live, and there).  In fact, I'll do any RBW group ride within about 100 radius of philly.  However, I don't camp, so will need lodging option or a one day trip.   I'd love to meet more RBW members.

Thanks for  coordinating this.

Roberta

[...]

Wally Estrella

Jan 28, 2019, 7:05:21 AM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jason,

On the works behind the scene w/ a few of us for a North Easter meet-up.  My apology for not being more vocal on that.  Stay tuned.  Should get something up this week.

CHEERS!
Wally

Ben Obrien

Jan 28, 2019, 10:23:51 AM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Spencer we are gonna make it happen!

Ben Obrien

Jan 28, 2019, 10:23:51 AM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i think we have a winner here! (Minnewaska)

i'm helping Wally and Alex plan this, we will get more info out asap.

Steven Seelig

Jan 28, 2019, 10:24:38 AM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not that this is an issue for all, but kid's Spring Break is the week of April 15th.  We already were planning on a bike trip on Rails to Trails locations south for that week, so the tip about the Silver Comet Trail was great.  But coming North from DC works also.

I am thinking the early spring idea is before that, though.  I will sit back and let the behind the sceners do their best.  Thanks for coordinating.

Steve Seelig, DC

Todd Ferguson

Jan 28, 2019, 1:02:57 PM1/28/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would prefer having April 18th-28th as blackout dates as well. NYC public schools spring break too.

Looking forward to this. Thanks for planning!

-Todd

Spencer

Jan 29, 2019, 8:19:46 PM1/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here is on version of a route (loop) inside the park. There is one spot where the cliff hangs over the carnage road, I analysis want to put a little pile of ACME bird seed under it. Some more photos too.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/3699799

Ben Obrien

Feb 9, 2019, 11:54:38 AM2/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
excellent! thanks Spencer!

working on a few promotional items...will regroup with the others involved asap.

maxcr

Mar 5, 2019, 10:22:37 AM3/5/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did the northeast gathering firm up? I didn’t think I would be able to make it, but some life changes might allow me to join if still an option!
Thanks for any update.
Max

DeeterDeeter

Mar 10, 2019, 6:17:39 PM3/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
+ 1 over here! Love minnewaska! I think there is a way to extend the ride into an adjacent park called Mohonk Preserve.
Here is a link to a new lodge (perhaps mentioned above) in Minnewaska:
https://www.minnewaskalodge.com/

Thanks to the organizers! Looking forward to meeting up!

jandrews

Apr 1, 2019, 10:55:45 AM4/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Curious if there's been any movement on this.
Perhaps later in the season now?

REC (Roberta)

Apr 1, 2019, 12:09:33 PM4/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm still interested.  Perhaps the summer will be better, because the kids will be out of school.

Roberta, about 185 south, in Philadelphia

Timothy Hurley

Apr 1, 2019, 9:22:48 PM4/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Minnewaska sounds great! Can you camp there? Was this already discussed and I missed it?

-T.J. in Philadelphia

mcbu...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2019, 6:07:15 PM4/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just to remind everyone we have the 25th SERiv ride set for May 3/4/5 in Greenville SC. There is a separate Google Group called SE Ride with all the details. Check it out. If you think you might be interested join the group. We plan to start regular updates and would love to see Fellow riv’rs there!

mcbu...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2019, 9:35:10 PM4/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 6:07:15 PM UTC-4, mcbu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just to remind everyone we have the 25th SERiv ride set for May 3/4/5 in Greenville SC. There is a separate Google Group called SE Ride with all the details. Check it out. If you think you might be interested join the group. We plan to start regular updates and would love to see Fellow riv’rs there!

The group is SE Riv Ride

A2779BC2-FB50-4244-B78A-6C640F8AA400.jpeg
4273CD21-5BC8-4A2F-A227-9D1FB3F5D625.jpeg

Ben Obrien

Apr 8, 2019, 11:44:12 AM4/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
you can tent camp here: https://americanalpineclub.org/gunks-campground (i grabbed a site here and i think another friend did as well)

or airbnb nearby or whatever else strikes your fancy...

Ben Obrien

Apr 8, 2019, 11:44:12 AM4/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
sorry for the delay, but the NORTHEAST meetup is 9/20-9/22, with the main ride/hanging out on 9/21 at Minnewaska State Reserve. i'm working with Alex from Yellowhaus and Wally from Maine to keep things moving...

otherwise Airbnb, and there are other camping options around...

feel free to send me any questions directly, and we will get an answer to you asap...

DeeterDeeter

May 3, 2019, 5:43:45 PM5/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
BOOKED! Stoked!!

DeeterDeeter

May 3, 2019, 5:43:56 PM5/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pic of Lil' Smokey dippin' a toe in at Lake Awosting a few years ago.

Looking forward to it! Thanks Ben and everybody else for organizing!

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:11:32 AM UTC-8, Wally Estrella wrote:

[...]

LIL SMOKEY.jpg

Ben Obrien

May 9, 2019, 9:31:20 PM5/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
we have a patch design in the works for the gathering too!

Wally Estrella

Jul 15, 2019, 9:45:22 AM7/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here's the RBW 25 Northeast patch that Ben has been working on w/ Walter from Fallcreek Outfitters.  Ben asked me to post it up here.

RBW 25 northeast.gif

R Shannon

Jul 15, 2019, 9:53:17 AM7/15/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done! Love the colors.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2019, at 9:45 AM, Wally Estrella <wallye...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's the RBW 25 Northeast patch that Ben has been working on w/ Walter from Fallcreek Outfitters.  Ben asked me to post it up here.

<RBW 25 northeast.gif>

spencer robinson

Jul 15, 2019, 1:03:41 PM7/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, it is a really nice Patch, hit Ben Obrien up quick so as to secure one!
I got my order in already.

REC (Roberta)

Jul 16, 2019, 3:14:48 PM7/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
How do we order these?

Ben--Thanks for working on this.  I hope to meet many of you in September.

Roberta

Wally Estrella

Jul 16, 2019, 3:41:08 PM7/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Wally Estrella

Jul 16, 2019, 4:22:44 PM7/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
D'oh! Silly Wally!  $7 each on the patch.  I'm getting 3 :)
Get yourself at least one.  Then another one to share.  And another one just in case you lose the first one.

Philip Williamson

Jul 17, 2019, 1:17:41 AM7/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice!
Good patch work, Ben!

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Ben Obrien

Jul 17, 2019, 9:19:31 PM7/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks Philip!

also thanks Wally for posting, i've been swamped and haven't had a lot of extra time. if anyone else wants one, you have until friday to send $7 to the link above. i have to get a quantity to Walter at Falls Creek Outfitters by then.

looking forward to the meetup!

Ben Obrien

Jul 17, 2019, 9:20:29 PM7/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks everyone else for the compliments too! it's my first patch design. hopefully not my last!

Ben Obrien

Aug 20, 2019, 9:03:32 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
heads up, if you ordered a patch and haven't received it yet, i am sending out another batch this week, apologies for the delay. i need to track down some addresses.

we will be adding more info to the thread about the meetup asap.

Mark Roland

Aug 21, 2019, 2:38:04 PM8/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi. I have not received mine. I'm on my mobile, so can't p.m. but if you need my address again, let me know.

REC (Roberta)

Aug 22, 2019, 8:00:38 PM8/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The patches are even nice in person than in the pictures.  Thanks, Ben!

Ben Obrien

Aug 22, 2019, 9:29:35 PM8/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark let me know if it's not there by the weekend. i can send a new one. yours went out last week and didn't have far to go...

Ben Obrien

Aug 22, 2019, 9:54:07 PM8/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks Roberta!

FYI anyone interested, i created a Facebook event page, so we can get an idea of how many people...

no pressure to rsvp but it's there if ya want to.

i'm getting there friday evening, just to camp and meet people. really only riding we are doing is saturday, sorry if that wasn't clear. we can ride sunday too if people want.

this is the route that Spencer shared as a possibility: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/3699799  i'd be into this and maybe a little more, with a coffee outside stop along the way.

Bob Ehrenbeck

Aug 23, 2019, 3:42:48 AM8/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not on Facebook, but please count me in!

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

Mark Roland

Aug 23, 2019, 8:04:29 AM8/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ditto, no Book of Faces, but I plan to ride up from Beacon Saturday morning. What is the approximate kickoff time for the loop ride on Saturday?

Also, Ben, patch arrived, thank you. Looks great, kudos to you and Wally!

Ben Obrien

Aug 25, 2019, 12:03:06 PM8/25/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
lets say 10am to meet up and stare at bikes, then roll out shortly after. we will figure out a good meeting place asap.

glad the patch arrived and glad you like it! thanks!

Mark Roland

Aug 26, 2019, 7:18:25 AM8/26/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My son Mack and I did a nice little ride up in the carriage roads yesterday. A half mile in we almost ran over a timber rattler! Almost gave Mack a heart attack. Completing the climb up Cardiac Hill on the last stretch of the lower Awosting Carriage Road pretty much did!

MVIMG_20190825_133539279(1).jpg

Couple more  pics here:

Ben Obrien

Aug 26, 2019, 8:48:09 PM8/26/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
wow that looks amazing! i'm hoping to get down there to scout out some route ideas but that is looking unlikely.

Ben Obrien

Sep 8, 2019, 8:03:16 PM9/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
ok, since we are getting close to the meetup date, here are a few things:

there's a fee to bike at the Mohonk preserve, it's $20 bucks for the day, and will allow access to Mohonk Preserve, Minnewaska state park and the Mohonk Mountain house property. if you only buy a Minnewaska pass that's the only place you can go without paying another fee. we don't need to visit all 3, but it might be fun/make for a more interesting time. up to you.

i'll  be camping friday and saturday night, saturday is the main event, meet at 10 at the parking lot near the Minnewaska park office and we'll get moving shortly after that. bring coffee outside gear, like a stove and camp mug, we can stop and make coffee along the way.

any questions, send me a message. thanks!

also i have a handful of patches left, if anyone is interested.

Mark Roland

Sep 8, 2019, 10:51:31 PM9/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's a fee to bike, or a fee to park? I've never paid a biking fee, though when I drive I pay a $10 parking fee. That's for Minnewaska. Do they stamp your hand, or give you something to stick on your bike, or what? Where is the official ride route, Ben? Thanks.

Ben Obrien

Sep 9, 2019, 9:29:14 PM9/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
here is a route my friend Spencer sent me, i thought we could try this and do more if people want.

re: fees, i was reading this here and thought if we wanted to ride more, we could access more stuff by paying the fee at Mohonk (noted in link below), which gives you access to Minnewaska as well as the two Mohonk properties:

i don't know anything beyond that. i've never been, just thought it seemed like a good location. i am open to suggestions too.

spencer robinson

Sep 10, 2019, 1:10:00 PM9/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thats the basic loop around the park...it is beautiful, the views are breathtaking, you will need lots of time for picture taking, film camera discussions, and general lollygagging / coffee making etc. There are more miles if your so inclined, heck you can bomb the public roads and go to New Platz and up the trail to Kingston, stop in and see Bryan at Utility Bicycle works, just whatever, the Hudson Valley is probably one of the most scenic and historic places in the USA.

The Route is stone/gravel carriage trails, no cars and this time of year, not so crowded. The route rolls up and down, no killer hills except the first path up from the main road and like they say...I never go for a walk without my bike. I have done the loop on a single speed and a Raleigh sports 3 so its ok. 700x 23c tires might make the ride a little harsh but I don’t think that is a concern with Riv folks.

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 11, 2019, 11:32:37 AM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I lived in Gardiner for a year awhile back. Spencer or anybody else...do they still give out a limited number of passes each day? I remember buying a season pass for that reason. Unsure if this is still a concern...

Also, the Sunday brunch is a thing to behold at the Mohonk Mountain House. Pricey, but it gives you access to the grounds for the day. There’s a very cool rock scramble (“the lemon squeeze) that I used to take guests on whenever I had visitors. The start is quite close to the lake/Resort. If anyone has interest, let me know.

Paul Richardson

Sep 11, 2019, 2:55:23 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
obviously i'm way late to the (online) party, but am trying to put things in place to see if i can join for this.  i've been to the gunks once for rockclimbing and it is a special place that i'm sure looks great from two wheels.  last trip, we camped at the gunks campground others have mentioned and it didn't seem to be a big deal to have multiple tents on one site.  if i'm able to make the trek from maryland, does anyone with a reserved site / knowledge of how things play up there mind if i snag some grass?  i've got a small profile two man tent.

paul
takoma park, md.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Sep 11, 2019, 3:16:46 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is there anyone headed up early in the morning on Saturday from the NYC area? Or maybe you're passing by the tristate area at dawnish? I could meet most anywhere. I'd be on my unfoldable Rosco Bubbe, but have gas money and a willingness to ride in uncomfortable contortions just to get to a great ride with greater folks.
Thanks!
-Kai

fi...@gtel.net

Sep 11, 2019, 4:03:06 PM9/11/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hey Alex! I hope all is well out in the middle!

I don’t ever go there during the “season” but I bet it does get crowed during the summer. I have always gone after Labor Day and never experienced a crowd, mostly just pass a hiker or 2.

another Sunday activity would be to break camp, stop in the diner in New Palz, then ride the  “Walkway over the Hudson” park, there are several places to park along the rail trail, then about 3 miles to the Hudson River crossing...a must see if you have never been., that would put you close to the thruway for heading home.

Bob Ehrenbeck

Sep 11, 2019, 4:21:10 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Kai,

I'll be driving up the Garden State Parkway from Cranford, NJ on that Saturday morning (and returning home that night). Also, I'll have room for a second bike on the rear rack of my car next to my Clem. Will that work? Will you be able to get across the Hudson? Maybe meet at a train station?

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

REC (Roberta)

Sep 11, 2019, 5:27:40 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not real close, but I'm leaving from Morris County 7-7:30 am, coming back that evening.  There is a Lakeland bus to Parsippany and a train (NJ transit, perhaps?) that runs to Denville, both fairly close for me to pick you up.  I'll be driving up I287 to I87, so if you find a train that takes you along my route (Franklin Lakes or  Mahwah, perhaps?), I can pick you up there, also.  Offer is open to Kai or anyone else.

It it's raining, I'll probably still go up, but I won't be biking.

Roberta

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Sep 11, 2019, 10:39:47 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Bob! Thanks Roberta!
Looks like the earliest I can get to Mahwah train station is 7:34. Then there's an 8:30something that's probably too late. So yeah, if 7:34 in Mahwah can work, great! Does that work for the Garden State parkway too? Maybe 287 is the parkway? If there's a possible two rides, perhaps I can get some company on the trip to Mahwah with a fellow New Yorker? Carpooling is caring...
Thanks again!!
-Kai

And if there's anyone leaving from this side of the river, it's not too late to get some gas $ outta those extra seats...

REC (Roberta)

Sep 11, 2019, 11:02:01 PM9/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
7:34 at Mahwah station would be perfect if you want to go with me.    You'll be longer on the train, shorter in the car.  The Garden State Parkway is closer to NY, so you'll be shorter on the train, longer in the car.

You  have 10 more days to decide and look for a NY ride.  If you want to go with me, just send me a PM and we'll coordinate off line.  At least you know you have a ride, even if you do need to get up middle of the night to start the trip!  :)

Roberta

Bob Ehrenbeck

Sep 12, 2019, 8:37:10 AM9/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kai,

I'll be taking the GSP to Route 17, which takes me right past the Mahwah station, so a 7:34 pickup would work well for me as well.

So, whether it's by Roberta or me, we've got you covered!

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Sep 12, 2019, 12:01:59 PM9/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
HUZZAH!!

Ben Obrien

Sep 12, 2019, 9:11:59 PM9/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
glad we have some additional interest here.

one idea is to check out Arrowwood farm brewery in Accord, it's like a 10 mile ride from the Minnewaska State Park. just a thought.

looking forward to meeting all of you and checking out some bikes!

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 12:01:59 PM UTC-4, Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY wrote:
HUZZAH!!

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 17, 2019, 3:07:50 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
FYI there’s a killer traditional German Restaurant called Mountain Brauhaus about 4 mins/.5 mi from the campground. I plan on riding over around 6 on Friday night. They’re only open till 9 pm so it gets a little packed/crazy on the weekends. If anyone would like to join me, let me know and I’ll make a reservation (otherwise I’ll take a risk waiting for a bar spot).

Also there’s a nice deli across the street from the restaurant open 6:30 am-6pm. Great to-go sandwiches /snacks/drinks and the breakfast sandwiches are to die for. So, if you’re not into camp food there’s other options very close by.

Alex

R P

Sep 17, 2019, 3:17:22 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

That's great to know! Thanks for the information--was just thinking about what food we need to bring!

On a related note for pre/post ride things to do -- we'll have a fiddle and banjo in tow with a disclaimer that we are relative beginner/intermediate players with a few old time tunes in our repertoire. Fellow instrumentalists and singers welcome!

Rachel
Arlington MA

REC (Roberta)

Sep 17, 2019, 6:53:52 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do we have a meeting place yet?  Perhaps I missed it?

Roberta

maxcr

Sep 17, 2019, 7:31:56 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Everyone,

I was planning to attend this as my first official Riv gathering, but due to an unexpected medical issue with my dad I won't be able to make it this weekend.
If anyone still needs a campsite, I paid for a spot for the weekend and would be happy to work something out.

Best,
Max

Ben Obrien

Sep 17, 2019, 9:01:14 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
very sorry to hear that, Max. hopefully someone can use the site.

Roberta, Alex was going to add a message here, we just had a phone chat and will update everyone asap!

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 17, 2019, 9:02:29 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alright folks here’s three points that will be helpful wrangling campers, drivers and permits etc.

https://goo.gl/maps/o7VsC6uvaCTiZZGA7

(This is essentially a google maps route that starts at the campground, stops at the visitor center (permits) and ends at the ride start/minnewaska parking lot)

Meet at the campground parking lot at 10 if you’re camping and/or want to ride to the start. Meet at the ‘Ride Start’/minnewaska parking lot at 11 ready to roll. (Refer to directions linked above)

I think the only people that will need to pay for minnewaska are people that drive in/and park. Everyone will need to pick up a permit at the Shawangunk Visitor Center whether you ride or drive (See directions above).

Of note:

Riding from the campground to the ride start/minnewaska parking lot is about 6 miles and 1,200 feet of elevation. The rest of the route is pretty tame. (the views and downhills are worthy of the effort imho)

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 17, 2019, 9:08:06 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
In case it’s not clear, we’re riding across two parks/preserves so that’s why the permits/parking fees are so convoluted/confusing. Apologies in advance if it seems a little kludgy.

1. Everyone needs to pay for a shawangunk preserve permit.

2. Only people that drive/park at minnewaska need to pay for Minnewaska

Ben Obrien

Sep 17, 2019, 9:20:30 PM9/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks Alex!

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 18, 2019, 10:55:17 AM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Attention day trippers/drivers! I spoke with the campground and Minnewaska today. You have two options for parking Saturday:

1. Arrive at Minnewaska by 10am to ensure you get a spot. Apparently they are under construction so spots are limited.

2. Park at the visitor center (usually always spots).

Mohonk Preserve Visitor Center
3197 U.S Hwy 4455, Gardiner, NY 12525
(845) 255-0919
https://goo.gl/maps/CLD8c76sFq8cCBEL9

(There is no parking at the campground unless you’re staying there)

Paul Richardson

Sep 18, 2019, 11:40:21 AM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i'll be arriving at the campground sometime mid-morning.  i'll definitely be ready to roll to the brauhaus in the evening.  looking forward to it!

paul
takoma park, md.

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 18, 2019, 5:31:21 PM9/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Awesome! 🍴🍻

REC (Roberta)

Sep 19, 2019, 6:59:33 AM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Riding from the campground to the ride start/minnewaska parking lot is about 6 miles and 1,200 feet of elevation."

I'm trying to figure the best place to park--at the ride start or at Mohonk preserve and meet you at the campground.

I usually ride up to 20 miles on flat ground at 10-11 mph (I can go longer on flat ground.) , so am not a strong rider.  I have a hard time on steep hills.  I don't know how to interpret the elevation information. Is this very steep?  Or, is it just unrelenting and, therefore, tiring.  Google says it's a 59 minute ride, which concerns me for a 6 mile stretch.  Please don't overestimate my ability (or age)  when responding. (Kai- can drop you off anywhere you want.)

Thanks.
Roberta

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 19, 2019, 8:32:40 AM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Roberta! Stop at the visitor center first to grab your day permit and then head to the ride start (Minnewaska). Be sure to get there by 10am so you’re sure to get a parking spot.

😊

REC

Sep 19, 2019, 8:44:57 AM9/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Will do! I was leaning towards that. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 19, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles <482...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Roberta! Stop at the visitor center first to grab your day permit and then head to the ride start (Minnewaska). Be sure to get there by 10am so you’re sure to get a parking spot.
>
> 😊

fi...@gtel.net

Sep 19, 2019, 10:14:08 AM9/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I am going to get on site early Saturday am, I will try to park in the Lower Awosting Parking lot and ride to the top,  but if you want you can park up in the lot by the lake (up on top), if that is full, the other lot that is good would be the Lower Awosting Parking lot (west of the main entrance).

The parking lot up by the lake is great as you avoid the steep path up. Never fear as if you park in Lower Awosting, you will get to enjoy the nice walk up (or ride if you got the gear for it) and you won't have to go up the hill at the end of the ride!. So think of it like a roller coaster, you gotta get up the launch hill, then we roll up and down enjoying breathtaking views along the way.  I think there is cell service for most of the ride but if you want, you can download the route here.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/3699799

At any rate, I am driving a Black Honda ridgeline, (grey haired guy on a orange and black Sam) we can gather up on top and visit till the campers and late comers arrive. If memory serves, there is a paved lot on the very top and a gravel lot, just below it. I am thinking that I will hang out up on the top somewhere around the kiosk maybe making coffee and waiting on the fog to clear... it will be good!

Some info about the area...if you are coming in from the NYS Thruway, you will head west on the state road towards New Paltz, New Paltz is a college town, there are restaurants, motels, stores...even a starbucks! then continue on up the Mt to Minnewaska.

Also, if you have time or are staying over and you want some other riding, there is a Rail Trail starting down town that will run north and south, some of it is unpaved.  Also the rail trail running east from town will connect you to the "Walkway over the Hudson" state park...not to be missed to ride across the Hudson river on a car free bridge, really nice and this trail continues east for miles, nice flat paved.

For those that want more challenge, there are lots of gravel routes and road routes...just consult Ride with GPS or some such app. I think that the carriage trail loop will be great for a meetup and social ride.

Spencer

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Sep 19, 2019, 10:38:52 AM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yahoooo!

Spencer, since there are so many parking lot options....can you drop a pin where you will be waiting and we'll make that the official 11am meet-up/departure spot.

If you can post here and Facebook that would be spectacular.

Thanks!!

-Alex

fi...@gtel.net

Sep 19, 2019, 2:02:06 PM9/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

I am not on the Facebook so I can’t post but we can gather on the lawn between the parking lot and the lake.  I will grab a picnic table where you can see from the parking lot. Early arrivals will be able to park on top, I would think that we picked a weekend between summer and leaf peeping so not so crowded. Where or how do I drop a pin?

so when ya get parked, just make your way over towards the grassy area between the parking lots and the lake, I will try to scope out a picnic table or 2.

in the mornings, its generally dog walkers and hikers so it should be all good. Once a few of us find each other, it will become obvious

one helpful thing to print or download is the park map, but they probably have them at the gate.

Mark Roland

Sep 19, 2019, 7:43:18 PM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
And a reminder for those of us who still believe in free will for headgear options, helmets are mandatory for one or both of these park areas. So, bring a helmet.

Mark Roland

Sep 19, 2019, 8:20:29 PM9/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My camp bike and camp gear are unavailable at the moment, so my plan is to ride to the campground Saturday morning via back roads from Beacon, do the ride, hang out, then its a few more miles over the Walkway to the Poughkeepsie train station, where MetroNorth will take you as far south as NYC. (Or, Alex, I will hitch a ride back to Beacon with you if you are planning to visit family;^)
It is loading more messages.