Appaloosa Presale

Bill F

Jan 26, 2020, 2:04:09 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Appaloosa presale is up today.

I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

Je Mar

Jan 26, 2020, 2:30:29 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations! I’d love to see the orange one in this new batch - anyone?
Message has been deleted

Ken Yokanovich

Jan 26, 2020, 6:05:07 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had been saving and shopping for a replacement clothes dryer. Read the notice of the presale, hesitated for a brief moment, then made the decision.

I think I’ll get by for a little longer WITHOUT the reliability of a new appliance. I’d much rather have a new bike. :D

Roberta

Jan 26, 2020, 7:47:55 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,  Congratulations.  My Joe A was my first Riv and has brought me so much happiness over the years.  I hope it does the same for you.  You got a beautiful color, which looks even better in person. (I saw it on the Chev in person.)

Ken, For $20, you could get a wooden fold out clothes dryer to hang your clothes on.  That way when your electric dryer goes kaput, you'll still have dry clothes AND a smile on your face from the Appaloosa.

Roberta (owns 3 wooden fold out clothes dryers and rarely uses the electric one, except for towels)

Grady Wright

Jan 26, 2020, 8:57:53 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
After a lot of near purchases I finally ponied up and pre-ordered  the 60cm Orange Appaloosa. My first Rivendell as well. It was the trifecta of model, color, and size that I couldn't not buy it. I feel so broke now but I am really looking forward to my new bike!.

Bill F

Jan 26, 2020, 9:34:54 PM1/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks. I am looking forward to getting it built up.

It will be my first experience with swept back bars (Bosco). I've been hauling kids on a Big Dummy so it might take a minute to adjust to the Joe's shorter chainstays.

I thought I was breaking news with this post on Weds 1/22, but it looks like it takes a few days to get your first post approved.

John McClusky

Jan 27, 2020, 9:43:12 AM1/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ken,

Installing a retractable clothesline in the garage or laundry room will have you doubling down on saving the planet. Think of how much more you’ll enjoy that Appaloosa with all that positive karma onboard!

Enjoy it
John
Niles, CA

Ken Yokanovich

Jan 27, 2020, 10:08:58 AM1/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

My photo did not come through on the first post.  I've been living with a "clothes line" and folding drying rack in my bedroom for quite some time. In the summer - I'm old-school and hang almost all of my laundry on the line outside. I've long been an advocate of saving energy and love the smell of fresh laundry dried outside. Laundry tip in the category of TMI: hanging tee shirts outside with the arm pits exposed is THE BEST way to eliminate any yellowing of the pits or to remove residual caking caused by deodorant.

That's one of my Rivendell custom road bikes in the background

Bedroom Bike Justification.jpg

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Jan 27, 2020, 11:05:26 AM1/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 7:08:58 AM UTC-8, Ken Yokanovich wrote:

My photo did not come through on the first post.  I've been living with a "clothes line" and folding drying rack in my bedroom for quite some time. In the summer - I'm old-school and hang almost all of my laundry on the line outside. I've long been an advocate of saving energy and love the smell of fresh laundry dried outside. Laundry tip in the category of TMI: hanging tee shirts outside with the arm pits exposed is THE BEST way to eliminate any yellowing of the pits or to remove residual caking caused by deodorant.

So now that we've fully transitioned to clothes lines, any tips and tricks to getting cotton stuff (T-shirts and the like) from becoming cardboard stiff and wrinkly by being dried on a clothes line? I don't go overboard with detergent and use fabric softener when applicable. The dryer gets them soft and fluffy, and if you evacuate the load in a timely manner to fold them, the clothes stay wrinkle-free.

Mark Roland

Jan 27, 2020, 12:56:05 PM1/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I "snap" 'em a few times, and might hand-smooth quickly before and/or after hanging. If the hand pressing doesn't do it, any apparent stiffness goes away once you put it on and your body heat hits it. Ditto usually for any wrinkles of note. I've done controlled testing with line-dry vs. machine dry, nobody could tell the difference. Except the line dry smells nicer. I think it adds to the longevity of the clothes, too.

There was an article years ago in an UTNE Reader that listed the Five most useful inventions, Clothes line, condom, bicycle, fan, can't remember the last one. Re: deodorant stains. Also years ago, Grant wrote something about rubbing with a bit of soap right after showering instead, which I do to this day. However, since the holiday, I am experimenting with this, from our local soap-making company. According to my salesperson (they have a factory near the river, and a retail shop on the creek next to my house) it will last for a year or more. So far no complaints! Just don't drop it.

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 11:05:26 AM UTC-5, Benz, Sunnyvale, CA wrote: So now that we've fully transitioned to clothes lines, any tips and tricks to getting cotton stuff (T-shirts and the like) from becoming cardboard stiff and wrinkly by being dried on a clothes line? I don't go overboard with detergent and use fabric softener when applicable. The dryer gets them soft and fluffy, and if you evacuate the load in a timely manner to fold them, the clothes stay wrinkle-free.

Roberta

Jan 28, 2020, 4:44:51 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use same smoothing and body heat method as Mark and get same results. I don't use fabric softener.

Mark, thanks for the info about the stone. This is the first one I've seen that has no aluminum. Is it odor free, too? If so, I'm going to try it. Then I'll go on a long ride on my Appaloosa to test it out!

Mark C

Jan 28, 2020, 10:43:26 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm enjoying the way this thread has gone, but then I am thinking of an Appaloosa, and do air dry most of my clothes.

I strongly prefer the stiffer feel of shirts and pants (all kinds) when air dried but my wife does not, so it is going to be a personal preference. That soft fluffy feel from the clothes drier just feels like damage to me. Look at what comes out of the link catcher. Plus the heat. Still, it would be a bit of work to live without the convenience of our 30 year old dryer, though it only gets used for towels, underwear, and bedding. That is mostly for convenience. And it would be a lot of work and real estate to handle a larger families clothing.

I really would like to try one of Grant's long wheelbase designs and like the looks of the Appaloosa but I just go around in circles deciding. I think the biggest issue is that my two Rambouillets have been such nearly ideal bikes for so long now. I don't need more weight carrying or durability, but am interested in the longer wheelbase ride I remember from early mountain bikes, plus a bit more tire clearance. The Appaloosa is very appealing, but then so are the new Hillibikes, and the descendants of my Rambouillet. And the Clem, though I'm now leaning leaner.

I guess a bigger garage must be the correct answer.

Carry on with this interesting discussion.

Mark

Mark C

Jan 28, 2020, 10:48:13 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lint catcher!  And probably other errors. I'm new here and used to being able to edit posts on other forums but can't seem to find that here. The errors always just jump out after I see the post live. Oh well, probably better entertainment value.

Mark

Scott Calhoun

Jan 28, 2020, 11:01:05 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
After a couple of trips to Spain the last few years, where nobody has a dryer, my wife and I decided we didn’t need a clothes dryer and ditched ours. Really, it’s the right choice for the planet—you can feel very good about your Appaloosa now. Ha ha

Mark Roland

Jan 28, 2020, 11:06:00 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Odor free, Roberta. If you do place an order, try one of their soaps--they are fragrant, but only during the bathing experience--no lingering scents, all natural. A fun one is the Kaleidosoap--this is the bar made at the end of the week by the soapmaker with all the remnants of the other flavors! On a side note, the old threat of washing a kid's mouth out with soap doesn't seem to be as scary, what with ingredients like goats milk and peppermint and what have you. Which of course reminds me of the infamous Soap Sandwich.

Scott Calhoun

Jan 28, 2020, 11:12:17 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
OK more laundry stuff. One of the reasons it’s easier for Europeans to not have dryers, is that the compact frontloading washers they use have super high RPM spin cycles. When we returned back and needed a new washer we found a scratch and dent Electrolux compact with a spin cycle of 1400 RPM. Our clothes come out nearly dry.

Scott, “spin to win” Calhoun

Chris L

Jan 28, 2020, 11:43:20 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would really like to ride a 1st generation 55cm Appaloosa back-to-back with my 54 Hunqapillar.  The front-ends and BB drop are virtually identical, so the only real difference would be chainstay length.

Chris L

Jan 28, 2020, 11:45:09 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I forgot to add that the Appaloosa is probably a stouter bike, based on the tubing specs Will gave me and what little I've found on the Hunqapillar's tube specs.  I'm a really heavy guy so that might result in a noticeable difference.

Joe Bernard

Jan 28, 2020, 11:56:56 AM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark C,

I consider the Appaloosa, Gus (not Susie) and Clem to all be in the same general "pretty stout" category. If you want a long-stay bike which you can load up and bash over bump and root, I say pick your color and lug/TIG/fillet preference and go have some fun. They're quite different from those Rambouillets and worth trying out, IMO.

Mark C

Jan 28, 2020, 12:37:34 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Trying one out is really what I'd like to do. I've thought about flying out to Riv to try bikes and ride the local trails. I think it is rainy there now, plus I probably won't actually go through with the necessary flying.

Susie was actually what I was thinking after talking to Grant a couple months ago. I have very limited use for a more stout bike so that seemed like it might be a decent compromise. If I just needed a bike I'd pick one and give it a go, but what I really need is less bikes.

I have been experimenting with older mountain bikes this winter and that is proving to be a real learning experience, but the bikes I have are working fine for that. My interest is mostly in an all rounder with more tire clearance and longer stays. It is only on the roughest rides that I desire anything more than the Rambouillet, and I imagine that is less than 1% of my riding. I think riding the choices would be the only way I could ever decide. The only other Rivendell I've seen around here is a friends new'ish Homer, and I won't even get a chance to try that before summer. That bike, plus my two rough rides of the year, sort of started this quest, though I have been intrigued by the Clem for a couple years.

I'm kind of sorry I missed the Susie pre-order sale, and will probably be sorry if I miss the Appaloosa sale.

Deacon Patrick

Jan 28, 2020, 12:38:10 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe et al,

In a broad sense of "pretty stout", that is likely true, but (I believe?) the Gus has geometry differences (a slacker head tube that puts the front wheel more forward and that is wondrous on the trail. But I've not ridden anything else with the "new" geometry, only having a QB and Hunqapillar to compare.

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

Jan 28, 2020, 12:55:44 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The newest Clem chart shows a slacker headtube, too. I generalized on purpose because I think they all will be great as town-and-trail pounders; and personally I would choose more on color, construction and price than angles. YRMV 👍

jack loudon

Jan 28, 2020, 1:56:59 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scott: " my wife and I decided we didn’t need a clothes dryer and ditched ours"

Says the man who lives in Tucson :)

Jack in perpetually soggy (so it seems...) Seattle

Roberta

Jan 28, 2020, 1:58:43 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark and Chris,

I think my Joe A is a 1st gen--it's 2016 model and you're welcome to test it out if you're in Philadelphia area.  51 cm.

I'm planning on flying out to test the new Chev.  Of course, my sister and BBDD both live in NV, so my actual trip is to NV with a side trip to Riv.  :)

Roberta

Mark C

Jan 28, 2020, 2:33:36 PM1/28/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for the kind offer. I'm in West Virginia, but not all that far from Pittsburgh, PA. I know I've seen one poster from Pittsburgh on here, but think he has pretty much the same bikes as I do.

Joe,
I think your approach is sound. Both the Susie and Appaloosa are available in orange, and I'm never regretted any orange bike I've bought.

Mark

Steven Frederick

Jan 28, 2020, 2:40:52 PM1/28/20
to rbw-owners-bun.
Heh, yeah.  I recall on a tour from the Pacific Ocean (Astoria, WA) to the Mississippi River (south of RedWing, MN) how the humidity level changed almost overnight.  We went from hung-out wet stuff being dry in 1/2 an hour  to leaving it overnight and finding it wetter than when we hung it!  Happened right around the time we crossed the Missouri River as I recall.

Jason D

Jan 29, 2020, 11:41:34 AM1/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Mark C. I am from West Virginia; grew up down around Charleston. What part are you in? I'm in Columbus, OH these days with a Clem H if you ever get out this way and want to try it out.

Scott Calhoun

Jan 29, 2020, 8:30:43 PM1/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Point taken Jack—if I lived in Seattle, I might feel differently about dryers.

Mark Roland

Jan 30, 2020, 7:33:25 AM1/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you lived there before 1938, you wouldn't have;^)

MAP

Feb 1, 2020, 1:21:37 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought one! An Appaloosa that is, not a dryer.
It'll be my first Rivendell.  I've been a fan for years now.
But I was torn on what to buy.  I wrote Will, asking for an Appaloosa and I got my wish.
I'll go with this and then see if I really want bigger tires or disc brakes.  I'd rather try Riv first.
I'm 5'11" and measured my PBH at 85 cm and was told to get the 54 cm frame.
Again, I was torn on that or to get the 57 cm.  But I think their bikes are big enough to not worry about sizing down a tad.
Excited,
-Matt
in San Diego

Roberta

Feb 1, 2020, 1:31:58 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic!  Congratulations!  I love my bike and think you got the right size.  I have 83 pbh and the 51 fits me perfectly!  So, I think with your pbh at 85, the 54 will fit you great.  I have the chocomoose handlebars and a flyer saddle; it originally had a b17, which was also fine for my semi-sit up, semi-lean over style.

Roberta

j.schwartz

Feb 1, 2020, 2:36:50 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
FYI
Blue Lug posted a photo of the new burnt orange Appaloosa today on their Instagram
See pic
F5714BAE-27E2-4A39-9CEE-48A446DB1EF8.jpeg
Message has been deleted

Bill F

Feb 1, 2020, 9:39:13 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Really nice color. Not sure I would have called it orange, though. Reminds me of the burnt sienna crayon.

Joe Bernard

Feb 1, 2020, 10:07:44 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think we need to see it in the light. That pic looks much darker than the rust-orange Susie I rode around RBW.

Mark Roland

Feb 1, 2020, 10:19:11 PM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Definitely exciting. Great bike, great name. Kind of the new flagship model, really. As for discs and bigger tires, no doubt they are fun. I bought a Jones Complete in 2018, when Clem Ls were scarce on the ground. I had to sell my first one for financial reasons. Anyway, I enjoyed the Jones, but ultimately I liked the Clem L more--more versatile, easier to fender and rack, better climber, better descender, better looks--so I sold the Jones and got another Clem. YMMV.
Re size. Looks like the Joes are 55/58? and you are on the borderline of a 51/55, so plenty big. 58 starts at a PBH of 89-90. Unless I'm missing something here.

Grady Wright

Feb 2, 2020, 1:59:41 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Orange in Better light. It’s perfect.
87AF7234-D996-4B44-85D9-84B52C02D155.png

Hetchins52

Feb 2, 2020, 4:21:12 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So, same orange as the Susie/Wolbis orange?
Looks it to my eyes.

David
Berkeley

Joe Bernard

Feb 2, 2020, 4:34:16 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, that's what I'm seeing. That color looks even better in person, although I must express the sacrilege that I like it better on the Susie without the creamy headtube. I know!

j.schwartz

Feb 2, 2020, 8:45:30 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So far looks pretty great..
I think Oranges are tricky to get right and I don't think Rivendell always nails with their oranges. ...
I do also think the Butterscotch color from the Original Apps should be an always color for that bike..like Hunqapillar Green or Atlantis Submarine Green

tc

Feb 2, 2020, 9:34:10 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks very close to the old sidepull Sam. Would need to compare in the same light. Regardless, beautiful!

Tom
D951E287-F1FA-49C7-8FF1-5D0F161AF52C.jpeg

Melanie

Feb 2, 2020, 10:08:19 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rambouillet Orange was spectacular.

Dorothy C

Feb 2, 2020, 10:58:02 AM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It would have been nice if Riv could have posted a clearer picture of the orange while the presale was still on. I already have 2 blue Rivendells.

Mark C

Feb 2, 2020, 8:17:33 PM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh my, that is pretty. It may even beat out the creamsicle Rambouillet for prettiest Rivendell, at least to my taste. I take it I've missed the presale now. I was struggling with size; it is hard for me to imagine getting a 54" when my other Rivs are 60 to 62. The sizing of the Susie feel in a perfect place for me, but just couldn't convince myself I needed that bike. And the Appaloosa is really still more bike than I need, but that picture might have swayed me. I assume they ordered the bikes, and picked the color, but did not have a picture yet of the finished product.

For now I think I'm back to finding the biggest tire I can fit on my Rambouillet.

Joe Bernard

Feb 2, 2020, 8:51:04 PM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's correct, Will hadn't even seen the orange (he mentioned this somewhere) 'til the Blue Lug photos.

Mark C

Feb 2, 2020, 8:55:14 PM2/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I was just looking at the Rivendell site and see that the mid sizes is actually 54 and 57, not 54 and 58, and that the 57 would be fine for me. I think some info in this thread might be from a previous run.

Just didn't want to be spreading bad info. The bike is still lovely and very tempting.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Cole

Feb 3, 2020, 2:13:38 PM2/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tried to post the Riv Appaloosa Pre-Order webpage but no luck.  The website says the sizes are:  48, 51, 54, 57, and 60 cm.  In an earlier email from Riv, Will (perhaps it was Grant) noted that the geometry is virtually identical to that of the new MIT Atlantis except colors and sizes differ.  The MIT Atlantis sizes are: 47, 50 53, 55, 59, 62 cm.  If one can live with the color, size can be dialed in better with these choices than for many other Riv frames.

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 12:04:09 PM UTC-7, Bill F wrote:
Appaloosa presale is up today.

I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

Applegate

Feb 9, 2020, 6:26:24 PM2/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blue Lug now has a product page for that orange Appaloosa.

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:30:29 UTC-8, Je Mar wrote:
Congratulations!  I’d love to see the orange one in this new batch - anyone?
1img_5689_1.jpg
_img_5696.jpg
_img_5698.jpg
_img_5716.jpg

Dorothy C

Feb 9, 2020, 6:42:40 PM2/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gorgeous. Looks a bit brighter than the Susie orange.

Je Mar

Feb 9, 2020, 7:02:10 PM2/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My goodness. That looks good.

Roberta

Feb 9, 2020, 7:32:37 PM2/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sort of orange-red.   Very sophisticated.  More subdued than the bright oranges they sometimes use.  This and the Hillborne orange are now my fav Riv oranges.

Roberta (Butterscotch Joe Appaloosa)

Ken Yokanovich

Feb 9, 2020, 8:01:35 PM2/9/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay, now getting even more excited. Must exercise tremendous self restraint in buying parts. Shall see how it reveals itself once in the stand.

Applegate

Feb 13, 2020, 10:43:36 AM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:04:09 UTC-8, Bill F wrote:
> Appaloosa presale is up today.
>
> I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8gd3-fFT1m/?igshid=8z6e695not98

Third photo! Much less red than the Blue Lug e-commerce photos I linked the other day. I’m enjoying this mystery more than I have reason to.

Applegate

Feb 13, 2020, 10:44:50 AM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:04:09 UTC-8, Bill F wrote:
> Appaloosa presale is up today.
>
> I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

Make that FOURTH photo.

Grady Wright

Feb 20, 2020, 12:35:31 PM2/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got a call from Will yesterday saying that my frame has arrived and will be shipping soon. I asked him about the orange color and he said that the color is like the Susie orange. He said the photo's posted by Blue Lug don't represent  the actual color.
Looking forward to seeing all the new Appaloosa builds!

Jed Sachen

Feb 20, 2020, 12:46:13 PM2/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There are photos of an orange Appa built up here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/49550764836/in/photostream/

been up for a few days, looks great!

Joe Bernard

Feb 20, 2020, 1:50:39 PM2/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
And I can vouch for the Susie orange looking amazing in person. Online it looks different in every picture, and probably different on your device than mine.

Hetchins52

Feb 20, 2020, 3:48:43 PM2/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The bike does look great!

First “XT” dyno hub I’ve seen, too.

What are those V-brakes? The parts listing simply says “Shimano” though there is no badging and the shoes seem to bolt into a trough.
Similar to TRP CX brakes but the noodle stop is different.
Perhaps the Mystery Rivendell v-brakes?

David Lipsky
Berkeley

Chris L

Feb 20, 2020, 3:56:33 PM2/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Grant has stated that Paul Price gave them permission to copy his brake release design and those on the Appaloosa seem to have the regular release that most or all Shimano V brakes have.

I am looking forward to RBW's new brakes.  If they come in black, I might be sorely tempted.

David Hays

Feb 25, 2020, 10:48:50 AM2/25/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is it me or does the new Appaloosa orange look very close to the XO-1 orange?

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And I can vouch for the Susie orange looking amazing in person. Online it looks different in every picture, and probably different on your device than mine.

Lithocarpus

Feb 25, 2020, 7:13:41 PM2/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It sure looks close.  I'm head to Walnut Creek tomorrow specifically to look at this orange!  I have my Appaloosa with Rick at D&D getting it painted an orange that I think is close to the old construction pumpkin.

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 7:48:50 AM UTC-8, David Hays wrote:
Is it me or does the new Appaloosa orange look very close to the XO-1 orange?

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And I can vouch for the Susie orange looking amazing in person. Online it looks different in every picture, and probably different on your device than mine.

Joe Bernard

Feb 25, 2020, 8:05:02 PM2/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've only seen it on the Susie and it has more of a reddish rust look to me than on XO-1. But that's a solid-color bike, it may look different with white panels.

Ian Dickson

Feb 26, 2020, 5:50:09 PM2/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
As of an hour ago, I have a brand new 54cm blue Appaloosa frame sitting in my apartment. It looks great. That orange is nice, but the blue is weirdly soothing to look at, so that's what I got. I'll post photos after I build it up. If anyone has any questions about these, let me know.

Lithocarpus

Feb 26, 2020, 5:56:02 PM2/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just got home from the shop.  They showed me one of the new orange Appaloosas that was being built up.  The orange is ridiculously gorgeous!  It's very slightly on the burnt orange side of the spectrum, particularly compared to the reddish-orange roadini that was hanging up nearby.  I think the construction pumpkin on the orange XO was a higher-key color, as is the color that I decided on with D&D for my Appaloosa.

And I took a Susie for a lap around the parking lot and have decided that I have to sell one of my other bikes so that I can buy a hillibike.  I can't wait to take it out for a spin on the trail once my knee is all healed.   Visiting headquarters is dangerous to my bank account!

Bill F

Mar 1, 2020, 3:16:54 PM3/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
20200301_140948.jpg

Mar 1, 2020, 8:10:31 PM3/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking build! Makes me regret I missed out on the blue in my size. Excellent choice for a first Riv.

Joe Bernard

Mar 1, 2020, 8:48:14 PM3/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope someone here grabbed the mustard Appa on Ebay. It was only there about a minute.

Ken Yokanovich

Mar 2, 2020, 12:28:11 AM3/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, looks great Bill. I have been accumulating various parts in anticipation. Hoping to get notice one of these days that my frame has been shipped.

Can’t help humming “Anticipation”
https://youtu.be/0IobpIKshr8

The Snag

Mar 2, 2020, 10:21:45 PM3/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're going to have so much fun on that bike, Bill!

The mustard Appaloosa still seems to be for sale in Boston....

Mustard is my favorite color Appaloosa yet, but I really want to see an orange one built up.

20200210_124542.jpg

Bill F

Mar 3, 2020, 9:49:47 AM3/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks!

All of the accolades for Riv's comfort and handling are not overstated, the ride is amazing.

Reid Echols

Mar 3, 2020, 9:58:52 AM3/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, naturally I can’t resist a chance to post Ol’ Blue. Newly shod with Cliffhangers and Thunder Burts these days and still riding more like a sloop than a schooner.

Reid in Austin
1557B24D-E601-45A3-B9F6-ED4744C828EE.jpeg

Chris L

Mar 3, 2020, 11:32:48 AM3/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice!

I always really enjoy seeing Riv's with regular flat bars, instead of the pullbacks that most have.

David Hays

Mar 13, 2020, 2:35:00 PM3/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just jumped in a reserved one of the last orange ones.
Now to work on the shopping list to have them put in the box.
David

David Hays

Mar 18, 2020, 2:50:13 PM3/18/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My orange Appaloosa is expected on Monday.
I’m not looking to do a the standard wide upright bar(Albatross) but am considering a Soma Sparrow, a Midge on One, an Albustache or a Velo Range Porteur all with bar end shifters and Hetres.
I’m using the mint MB-3 I just picked as a test mule.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these bars on an Appaloosa?
I’ll starting the build next week. A nice project to stay occupied in this crisis.
Thanks
David

MB-3 before and after

Message has been deleted

Ken Yokanovich

Mar 23, 2020, 6:08:02 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My project stalled for a few days with a lack of motivation. My whole plan started with new found optimism and a plan to use up some bike part inventory and re-purpose some wheels. In hindsight, maybe I wish I had stuck to the plan and questioned my optimism?!

I finally turned sleepless nights into something productive over the last several days to complete the build and get out on a couple hour shakedown ride on my new orange 57cm Rivendell Joe Appaloosa. I wound up ordering a few more parts than I had intended - rear hub and brakes from Rivendell, fenders from Sim-Works.  It's an eclectic mix of old and new parts.  I was very pleased with initial results and am looking forward to more adventures together

Joe.JPG

Much geekery for those interested in some of the details could read about it here: https://reflectorcollector.blogspot.com/2020/03/so-i-named-it-miele.html

Additional photos can be found over on Flikr https://flic.kr/s/aHsmM8MPDX

Bill - hoping to read about how your project is coming along.

Ann L

Mar 23, 2020, 7:06:33 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike and congratulations!  I am intrigued by the chain ring/crank set up.  What components did you use?

lambbo

Mar 23, 2020, 7:20:34 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that's an incredible bike!  The fender line is on the verge of poetic, so balanced and still. Did you install them yourself?  Also impressed by the clarity of the bike, despite a big rear rack and a front bag.

j.schwartz

Mar 23, 2020, 7:21:07 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
one of the best oranges Riv has done , especially lately

Bill F

Mar 23, 2020, 8:07:21 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ken, the bike looks great!

I went with bosco bullmoose bars and canti brakes too.

The bike rides really well and the bars offer a wide range of riding positions. I ended up taping the front/middle portion because the "time trial" position I'd comfortable for faster riding or into headwind.

Ken Yokanovich

Mar 23, 2020, 8:43:25 PM3/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you. Metal fender installation is a labor of love. Conservative estimate would be that i have 6 hours to do the install. 2 of that would be in the fabrication of the spacer for under the fork crown.Getting the fore-aft angle just right and the profile to fit the fender.  This a combination of one of the final test fits and final product:

Fender Bit.JPG

I got a good a squat workout in from standing, squatting, installing, and removed my wheels so many times!  Tire and fender size were a nice match, ample clearance all around with zero rattling or movement.  The Rene Herse fender eyebolts https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/fenders/classic-eyebolts/ make for a nice tight mount on the stays. Much nicer and warrant what seems like a lot of money for 4 bolts Of course the hours toiling over correct drilling location more than exceeds the material cost :D

David Hays

Mar 24, 2020, 4:37:01 PM3/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great build Ken. Love the fine tuning of your front fender mount.
I received my frame yesterday and will be building slowly while taking care of my girlfriend who had surgery today.
A nice opportunity for social distancing-except from her- while working on the bicycle.
David

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 1:04:09 PM UTC-6, Bill F wrote:
Appaloosa presale is up today.

I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

Davidbea

Mar 31, 2020, 6:01:38 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
First ride today on my Appaloosa. Went with Porteur bars and Suntour bar ends for now. A Clem Pletscher ready to install. The Ostrich easily holds a full frame camera.
A lot to sort but a nice ride so far.
David

Appaloosa-3.31.20.jpg

Je Mar

Mar 31, 2020, 6:19:18 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On the SunTour. Nice.

Jay Lonner

Mar 31, 2020, 6:26:30 PM3/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Pretty bike, I really like the color. Those are some looong chainstays - approaching Xtracycle territory. The rear derailleur appears to be under some stress - how did you determine the appropriate chain length? I've wrestled with this recently on a Cheviot build and am still not certain of the best way to approach this (although the Riv guidance is working out well so far).

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

David Hays

Mar 31, 2020, 7:12:29 PM3/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,
On the Riv website on the Appaloosa as opposed to some other models I saw no mention of needing a longer chain but I moved to the middle chain ring before before chain to another gear and just have the standard chain length.
Suggestions? Should I add additional chain?
David

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 2:04:09 PM UTC-5, Bill F wrote:
Appaloosa presale is up today.

I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.

Jay Lonner

Mar 31, 2020, 7:36:10 PM3/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that you do need a longer chain. Like I said, I've been wrestling with this question as well, and call your attention to this thread (hoping that the link works, if not search the RBW-owners-bunch archives for "Cheviot setup" and and you should be OK)

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Joe Bernard

Mar 31, 2020, 7:41:30 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
OH yeah, you need more chain, if you ever accidentally shift to big/big you got troubles like you don't wanna see! If that's 9-speed I probably have an extra bit with quick-links I can mail you.

lambbo

Mar 31, 2020, 8:24:05 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use an e-bike chain on my cheviot, because they are much longer and fit without putting two together, and they are durable.  No problems so far.

David Hays

Mar 31, 2020, 8:50:41 PM3/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a recommendation?

On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:24 PM, lambbo <antone...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use an e-bike chain on my cheviot, because they are much longer and fit without putting two together, and they are durable.  No problems so far.

lambbo

Mar 31, 2020, 9:46:39 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My LBS installed it, I'm not sure what they used sorry!

On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:24 PM, lambbo <anton...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use an e-bike chain on my cheviot, because they are much longer and fit without putting two together, and they are durable.  No problems so far.

Grady Wright

Mar 31, 2020, 10:33:51 PM3/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Currently out of stock but Rivendell has started selling 9s Chains for their long chainstays.

David Hays

Jan 16, 2021, 4:26:35 PM1/16/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
After months of walking past the new Appaloosa to ride my drop bar Mercians and Homer I realized the Joe needed a new life as the Porteur upright bar was working for me.
I just finished putting on a Nitto Dirt Drop bar and will see how it fits me.
David Hays.
Buffalo, New York

On Mar 31, 2020, at 6:01 PM, Davidbea <bead...@gmail.com> wrote:

First ride today on my Appaloosa. Went with Porteur bars and Suntour bar ends for now. A Clem Pletscher ready to install. The Ostrich easily holds a full frame camera.
A lot to sort but a nice ride so far.
David

<Appaloosa-3.31.20.jpg>

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 2:04:09 PM UTC-5, Bill F wrote:
Appaloosa presale is up today.

I pulled the trigger on a blue 60 cm for my first Rivendell.
<Appaloosa-3.31.20.jpg>

Jason Fuller

Jan 20, 2021, 10:59:22 PM1/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh neat, looking forward to hearing feedback on that setup.  I would have probably gone the other way with some knobby tires and keeping the upright setup (upright for me is swept bars but I like them ~level with the saddle), but it all depends on what you've got available to ride on!

Joel S

Jan 21, 2021, 10:11:05 AM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great, enjoy,

Nick Payne

Jan 21, 2021, 2:34:51 PM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The orange frames in the new batch looks (from the photos) to be fairly identical to the orange on my Appaloosa from the previous batch. The tubing is pretty stout - it's a long time since I had a frame that took a 26.8 seatpost, and my bike as pictured below weighs 15.5kg (34lbs) without waterbottles and saddlebag:

PXL_20201213_024100183.jpg

Nick

Mike Godwin

Jan 21, 2021, 3:10:09 PM1/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
And Scott is in Tucson, so once on the line, clothes are dry in 10 minutes.

Mike "where the wind blows all the time to dry stuff"  San Luis Obispo CA