Anyone here running a Wald 139 on a rear rack?

Jesse

Sep 1, 2019, 4:38:24 PM9/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a thriftier alternative to, say, a large Sackville Saddlesack,  Fabs Chest, Carridice Camper Longflap etc, I'm considering tossing my Wald 139 on a rear rack, sticking my DIY waxed canvas bag back there and calling it a day.

Anyone else running a similar configuration?

Joe Bernard

Sep 1, 2019, 5:28:53 PM9/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't, but I'll throw a caveat out there because it's something that's easy to overlook until your rig is all rigged up and it's time to ride: Make sure you're ok with how your leg swings over the bike with that big immoveable basket sticking up back there. Bags can compress for mounting, which is pretty dang convenient.

Patrick Moore

Sep 1, 2019, 5:32:55 PM9/1/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
Not a Wald, but as as big despite different dimensions as the Wald Newsboy: I rigged up a quick-on and quick-off system for a large basket and the rear rack on my Dahon Hon Solo. The basket is a 15" X 18" (at top; the basket tapers toward the bottom) steel wire storage container from Target or Office Max, forget which, part of a modular storage system for home or office, inquire within, recommended by experts. After considering or trying alternatives, I settled on this:

A 2X4 block cut and rasped and filed to fit snugly in one of the central gaps in the rack's top; block bolted into place on the wire bottom with steel plates.

The forward lip of the basket butts against the Carradice SQR block on the seatpost, which keeps the rear of the basket from lifting -- so to lift pushes said forward lip against said SQR block, and it can't go anywhere. The SQR block is there because I also use a Camper Longflap and Junior in QR mode, depending on bulk of load.

A toe strap (am looking for more elegant, "click-in/out" type of alternative) keeps the basket down in front.

This basket has sufficient area on the bottom to hold 4 standard paper grocery sacks, full.

A cargo net zip tied to rear and hooked in front keeps groceries from flying off in the whirlwind of my passing.

Altogether, a very cost effective and elegant solution: Ignoring the rack, the commodity basket cost well under $20 ($15?) and the hardware to hold the wood block in place cost just a few dollars at True Value. The toe strap was sunk cost.

I've carried gal milk, 12-pack beer, and 2 pretty-fullish paper sacks, all at one time.

I personally am not of the basket-first-choice cohort (I like Ortliebs and f or rear racks), but for this beater grocery/dog run/carry on trip bike, this QR basket system answers a question I've had for at least a decade.

FWIW.

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 2:38 PM Jesse <archaicfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a thriftier alternative to, say, a large Sackville Saddlesack,  Fabs Chest, Carridice Camper Longflap etc, I'm considering tossing my Wald 139 on a rear rack, sticking my DIY waxed canvas bag back there and calling it a day.

Anyone else running a similar configuration?

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

David Bivins

Sep 1, 2019, 9:22:35 PM9/1/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's exactly what I'm running. I have it on a mousetrap Pletscher with a clamp screwed down on the tail end and an Irish strap on the end closest to the saddle. It's not particularly stable, but I could easily throw a couple of wire ties on it to tighten it up. I set it up for a day when I needed it and haven't changed it. It's handy, and I haven't needed the mousetrap in the meantime.  The Clemsack's a lovely fit.

Here's a photo from a few months back.

IMG_2449.jpg

Robert Barr

Sep 1, 2019, 9:57:00 PM9/1/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used that system for several years when I was commuting with a Riv influenced MB3. Worked great.

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Sep 1, 2019, 10:05:52 PM9/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not yet, though it was briefly considered when exploring cargo carrying for my wife who did not care for handling with a front load (for the most part.) But we ended up trying something similar with a milk crate with mixed results. This was on her XS Velo Orange Camargue, which we picked up not for touring but more utility and all around general use when she was interested in a touring type load carring bike to complement her sporty road bike and kind of replace an old comfort MTB that desperately needed an overhaul.

We initially tried a Surly front rack I still had at the time... but she didn’t care for handling with the rack weight alone when unloaded nor the need for additional luggage for casual errand running.

So I ended up later installing a Wald 139 with modified struts to midfork mounts, which she like a little better for ease of use and some unloaded weight savings but still didn’t care for the front end handling under bigger loads.

After getting an appropriate rear rack installed she ended up finding a brightly colored milk crate she wanted to try before I got around to rigging anything else, such as the 139 basket installed rear and lengthwise which I was considering. The crate and rear load was preferable based on her personal taste and handling preferences but her small frame and tall crate just didn’t really get along and it would obstruct her ability to scoot back far enough on the saddle at times.

During the time we worked through a lot of trial and error I had also picked up a Clem basket aka Wald multi-fit for one of my own bikes, and at some point she asked I get one for her old 3 speed.

My own basket bike was (and still is) a work in progress and during some bar swapping I just moved the basket over to her 3speed... and she liked it enough to declare that one her main basket/farm market bike.

Now I have the 139 left to use myself and likely going up front but I’ve considered how it might fit in the rear on a couple bikes and figure as long as it sits below the saddle so no interference like my wife had with the crate and if there’s enough rack support to install lengthwise the width would be then be minimized.

Not sure if I’ll personally get around to it but probably worth a try. I used a bunch of removable zip ties when trying to fine tune crate placement and would use the same zip ties for test fitting basket placement (it also had the added benefit of a not-so-quick release for days/weeks we planned rides but knew there’d be no load carrying so I’d occasionally pop the crate off advance.)

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ

Adam

Sep 1, 2019, 11:11:03 PM9/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I run that on my commuter. Works great on the step through frame I have but I second the idea of being thoughtful about leg clearance for mounting/dismounting.

Jesse

Sep 2, 2019, 7:53:27 AM9/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't considered clearance when swinging my leg over, but if I have to, I'll just step over the top tube.

Had the 139 up front recently, and while I was able to carry about 25 pounds up there without issue, the handling suffered too much, and I think closer to ten pounds is where I'd draw the line for front basket max capacity. A small rack/137 combo is where I'm headed for that particular application.

I do think I'll try the 139 on the rear; just have to find a suitable rack for my Ogre first. Aesthetically I'd definitely prefer a big ass bag of the above mentioned variety, but man, I just cannot seem to best this lifelong obsession with frugality.

Frank Brose

Sep 2, 2019, 1:12:52 PM9/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are you frugal or practical ? I'd say practical and I'd do what your leaning towards. I find the great things about changing the setup on a bicycle is you"ll adapt to the change. At least I always have. I say give it a try.

Mark Roland

Sep 2, 2019, 1:42:39 PM9/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is not the basket in question, but front or back, basket is a basket. In terms of mounting, I found the width more a factor, so went with this more rectangular solution. This was a while ago, inside is an old LL Bean canvas bag with handles and zip closure

bikes 002.jpg

lambbo

Sep 2, 2019, 5:16:04 PM9/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m running excactly that on a plescher with the large shop sack and it’s a great system - way easier to lock up than when it was in front too