Rambouillet tire clearance

Eric St. Mary

Jun 18, 2021, 11:22:52 AM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

I’m the original owner of a 2003 orange Rambouillet. It has always worn Roly Poly tires, but my stock has ran out.  It hasn’t worn fenders in over a decade, and I want to run some bigger tires. I threw my wife’s 700x37 WTB All Terrains on it and they cleared. I just want to run fatter road tires on it. What can reliably fit 700x38 or 40s in one of the various Panaracer makes?

FWIW This bike rides like a silky dream. Ive went through 30+ other bikes over the years, and this one remains. It is a beauty.

Regards,

Eric

George Schick

Jun 18, 2021, 11:50:08 AM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's not exactly clear whether you want to run the fatter tires with or without fenders.  FWIW, I have a Ram of the same exact time period as yours and I'm running 32mm Panaracers with fenders.  I'd prefer to run 35's, but there's no way they'd fit under the fenders.  Without fenders I'm guessing that you could go up to 37/38's, but it might be tight.  That frame was built with side-pulls as the intended brake, therefore the brake bridge on the rear is a little further down than other models.  And I agree, of all the bikes I've owned over the past 45+ years of "serious" cycling the Ram is the best riding of the bunch.  Wish I would have had it all along.

Eric St. Mary

Jun 18, 2021, 11:55:18 AM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry for the confusion. I tossed the fenders in the trash long ago, and want to run “slick” tires.

Patrick Moore

Jun 18, 2021, 12:40:42 PM6/18/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
On my blue Ram, 32s (Kojak 1.35s which may have measured 31mm on Open Pros) fit under SKS fenders with some squeezing at seatstay bridge, but acceptable. I think that fenders take up about 5mm of tire size but I'd guess that 37-38 might be the max.

Patrick Moore

Kieran J

Jun 18, 2021, 3:08:44 PM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also had an orange Ram and the max tire clearance under Tektro R539 brakes was about 37mm. Slightly less vertical clearance in the back versus the front.

KJ

Jonathan D.

Jun 18, 2021, 3:55:20 PM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can run 38s, and I am running 35s with fenders, but had help to make it fit. 33s were no problem with fenders.  I have an orange Ram.

Eric St. Mary

Jun 18, 2021, 5:31:31 PM6/18/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you all for the helpful input. Sounds like I’ll be shopping for some 38s. I’m looking forward to seeing how it feels with some fatter tires.

It has the Shimano long reach brakes Riv sold back then.  I had to deflate it he Roly Polys since day 1, even with the brake release, to remove the wheels. They do have a ton of clearance otherwise.

ascpgh

Jun 19, 2021, 4:45:06 AM6/19/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's how I eliminated all of the pesky rattles and clicks that those OEM "long" reach Shimano calipers produced with fenders and 32mm tires on my 2002 Rambouillet:
20160619_164026.jpg
I suspect I'm 5+ mm clear of the tire and at least 1mm of fender and bracket at the bridge. Bare 38mm should fit.

I really need the fenders so the Paul Racers were an even better answer than they looked i concept. Highly recommend. Tires come out, go in fully inflated.

Andy Cheatham
PIttsburgh

Eric St. Mary

Jun 19, 2021, 10:02:32 AM6/19/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

That’s a nice looking upgrade.  Once I quit commuting on it the fenders came off, and they’re not missed.

I’ve only replaced the drivetrain on mine. At times I miss the original 9 speed XTR derailleurs and cranks, and bar-end shifters. The newer Ultegra/DA is 10 speed brifter set up is fancy though. I just can’t justify the crazy money for a set of the old XTR cranks.

ascpgh

Jun 20, 2021, 4:44:44 AM6/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mine is still 8-speed, although purely friction, bar ends (switched from Shimano to SunTour) with Shimano XT Hubs13-32 cassette, TA Zephyr crank with 46/34 rings, SKF BB and Mavic front and rear derailleurs.

My Honjo H-47 fenders and Paul Racer brake calipers have been my updates. I consider wheels to be consumables after after so many years/miles.  There's also the pesky rear dropout replacements and the seat stay bridge that had to be rebrazed. Not been a commuter, although I did ride it to work a few weeks last summer, but ridden through lots of conditions. When I have a plan in place for a big ride I don't let weather deter unless it's just plain foolish.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh