Downtube shifting boss question

maxcr

Dec 4, 2022, 12:24:24 AM12/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Everyone I'm working on a new project and bumped into this shifting boss which I've never seen. They don't seem to accept a standard brass ferrule.

Any ideas on how to deal with these other than replacing them?

Thanks
Max
IMG_8920.jpeg
Message has been deleted

Joe Bernard

Dec 4, 2022, 1:05:47 AM12/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Will shifter housing fit in there without a ferrule?

Garth

Dec 4, 2022, 7:49:26 AM12/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brass ferrules are made in both 5mm and 4mm Max, and yours is likely 5mm and the boss is 4mm. There are step down ferrules that would work. Unless you have a local source it may be easy-er to just replace them with a 5mm boss if keeping the brass appearance is that big of deal.

maxcr

Dec 4, 2022, 9:57:06 AM12/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joe, the housing without a ferrule fits but it's quite loose.

Thanks Garth, I have both 5mm and 4mm ferrules and to my surprise none fit.

I'm wondering if this is the answer - maybe I just need a Shimano cable stop to go in there?

Max

Garth

Dec 4, 2022, 12:26:14 PM12/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Since neither fit then yeah, just replace them. Those Shimano downtube shift cable stops are fine, there are other brands as well. Dia Compe, IRD and Dajia also make some. As I found out in removing them after 15 years, apply a thin layer of anti-seize compound  to the boss, if you have some on hand. Otherwise at least a bit of grease.