Figuring out a Rivendell

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 13, 2020, 6:52:41 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A question came up over on the iBob list, wondering how to know what kind of early Rivendell a particular Rivendell was. A lot's been said about brake reach and fork legs, but no one's mentioned the whole "put it in the fire and read the inscription" bit. Having never tested a Rivendell in this manner, I didn't want to chime in over there, but I thought someone here might know some specifics about temperature and translations. And does this only work for short wheelbases/nonMITs? Thanks in advance
-Kai

Joe Bernard

Jan 13, 2020, 7:17:35 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If it's a bunch of poetry you don't really understand, Joe Starck built it.

Karl

Jan 13, 2020, 9:58:49 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe...amazing answer!

Karl
Nash, TN

Joe Bernard

Jan 13, 2020, 11:41:11 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a long memory, Karl 😬

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 14, 2020, 11:11:43 AM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tried it on my MIT, thought I heard Dylan, couldn't see anything, this was with propane.
-Kai

Brad

Jan 14, 2020, 4:42:32 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's easy to burn all the paint off but Google Translate still doesn't do Elvish.

Brad
Queens

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 14, 2020, 10:07:04 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, not a scratch of harm to the paint, and though it's off topic and I had thought to create a new thread for this, I'll go ahead and mention it here, that flame can't harm your Rivendell! At worst it might leave it super clean, bad being maybe the good grease burns off too?
Euphoricly*
-Kai

*altogether untrue, especially Brad's claim that it's easy to burn all the paint off, it's a very serious pain in the posterior

Message has been deleted

lambbo

Jan 15, 2020, 8:23:51 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
hey what the heck are you guys talking about?!

Joe Bernard

Jan 15, 2020, 10:11:48 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nobody knows.

Toshi Takeuchi

Jan 15, 2020, 11:07:59 AM1/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think they are playing with flames from Mordor and should watch out!!!

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 7:11 AM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nobody knows.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 15, 2020, 11:16:00 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lambbo, I put your fork in the fire (no paint, so no miracle) and all I got was "RUF". Maybe that means something to you? Maybe Grant? Maybe your frame could tell us more?
-Kai
Anton's Cheviot fork inscription.jpg

Mark Anderson

Jan 15, 2020, 12:09:22 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I saw that message on Ibob, and my first thought was a variation on what you describe: read the serial number and ask RBW...

Mark in Utah

lambbo

Jan 15, 2020, 8:53:39 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Whoa, where the heck is that inscribed? I've stripped some of the paint off my frame too, but I'll bring it by so we can test the fire and the fork!  Hope you're healing up well