Anna Purple

Tim Bantham

Nov 17, 2023, 9:34:41 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Curious what folks think of the Riv frames in purple. I personally am on the fence. I keep looking at it and can't decide if I would like it or not. I would be perfectly fine with any of the other Riv colors but the purple is a bit polarizing to me. Of course I am betting it looks great in person. Thoughts?

Sarah Carlson

Nov 17, 2023, 9:41:09 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just went and rode the purple test bike at Riv the other day. I had not really considered a purple bike but I liked it better than I thought. However it is a bit of a polarizing color... I started to figure out how I would make that purple color work for me, but I doubt I could convince my boyfriend to ride it in public. It's dark enough that I bet you could tone the impact down by adding some anodized parts in a neutral... or you could consider what I did with my last Platypus... I had it painted my favorite color.

Tim Bantham

Nov 17, 2023, 10:07:05 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm considering a Platypus and need a 60cm frame only. I love the Sergio Green but those are sold out. I too was trying to visualize how I could build it. I was thinking it would look really awesome with Paul Moto-Lites and Love Levers in the Pewter finish. . I feel like I should trust my instincts on this one and maybe wait for the next batch of frames. I want to love the color because I want the bike to be a keeper.

Ted W

Nov 17, 2023, 10:27:54 AM11/17/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got the Appaloosa in purple and it's been lovely. I've been sticking with white, gold/brass and silver accessories and it really pops. I agree, though, it's definitely a very polarizing color. I have never debated what color bike to get more than I did this one. I'm glad I got what I did, though.

Ted Wood < ted.l...@gmail.com >

Richard Rose

Nov 17, 2023, 10:57:17 AM11/17/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I do not own a purple Riv but would in a heartbeat if I needed another bike. Dead sexy!
Sent from my iPhone

Wesley

Nov 17, 2023, 11:35:26 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Purple is the best color, and this is a great purple. I love it.
-W

Johnny Alien

Nov 17, 2023, 11:43:53 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not a fan at all but I do happen to think it looks great on the Platypus frame. Not sure why that ones different for me but it is.

Tim Bantham

Nov 17, 2023, 11:58:33 AM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Funny. I was thinking that I like the purple on the Appaloosa. As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Garth

Nov 17, 2023, 1:13:48 PM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's "okay" if it's 50/50 with one other color. But really, I can think of many colors I'd like to have on a bike other than any stock color. The paint job ought to be the least relevant factor in choosing a stock frame though as it's easy to get wooed by a nice paint job and neglect the real important details of the frame itself. You can change the pain but you can't alter the frame dimensions ! Everyone deserves to have at least one full custom frame, hopefully many, regardless of the "brand name" associated with it.

Joe Bernard

Nov 17, 2023, 1:18:29 PM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's not my jam these days but it IS pretty, it reminds me of early-'90s Bridgestones.

But I'm not one to ask, my former "bright/loud colors are awesome" self has recently morphed into a lover of the Universal Grant Colors: various shades of blue and green. What's become of me?? 💙💚

Joe "things have changed" Bernard

Joe Bernard

Nov 17, 2023, 1:28:36 PM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also for the record, it's Ana. One N.

Tim Bantham

Nov 17, 2023, 1:36:03 PM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joe and my apologies to Ana. She's a great lady. Haven't heard from her on the Gram in a while.

Bill Lindsay

Nov 17, 2023, 2:57:09 PM11/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
My purple Rivendell is pretty different from most other purple Rivendells.  I was going for a "mineral purple" and the name of the shade is Amethyst Smoke.

Bill "smoke 'em if you got 'em" Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

ascpgh

Nov 18, 2023, 5:21:41 AM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm OK with purple, I had a '93 XO-2 in a dark metallic purple. Grant had a bit in the '91 catalog about colors (a Note About Color) from a time when anything NOT a dayglo color was a negative point against a bike model.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Ryan

Nov 18, 2023, 8:42:13 AM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

I remember that article. Gotta admit the Ana purple
Is growing on me. Maybe Leah should snatch that 50
Platypus

Sally Bidleman

Nov 18, 2023, 12:44:38 PM11/18/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
When my mom was in her 90's, after leading a fairly prim and proper life, she shared her favorite poem with me.

"Warning," by Jenny Joseph.

Ever since then, I have loved the rebellious spirit of purple!

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Nov 18, 2023, 2:04:10 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ryan, I KNOW. I’m starting to think the same thing. I can sell my Clem, which is just not as loved as my Platypuses, and nearly all the parts should transfer. And if I did, I would deck it out in hyper color. It’s PURPLE. You can have fun with it, right?

“Which accent colors?”
ALL of them.
Leah

Josh C

Nov 18, 2023, 2:23:31 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like the color of the Platypuses but wouldn't personally purchase one. That said, there are several bike colors that I wouldn't be excited about. I'm more a fan of earth tones and the like.

Although, I'm interested to see the new batch of Clems in orange...

Ryan

Nov 18, 2023, 2:38:15 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just think it suits your colorful personality Leah

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2023, 2:50:53 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
All those colorful parts from your Clem on an Ana Purple frame?? Dooo iiit 💜🧡❤️💛💗

Steve

Nov 18, 2023, 6:58:46 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill Lindsay, I was just catching up with this thread (always interested in anything Platypus related!) and I have to interject; That is one pur-tee Legolas. Looks like a shade of periwinkle on my MacBook.

More on topic - before purchasing a Platy I was thinking about a purple Charlie Gallop - picturing it dressed out with black Honjo fenders and black components. I was leaning for a bad boy vibe.    When the final Charlie protos dropped the swoopy top tube I snatched up a 2022 mermaid Platy frame still in the box. Nothing bad boy there - but it is a sweet ride and it has the sleek filet brazed middle stays.  And, BTW, Sheldon Brown was wrong - a mixtie is NOT just a "ladies bike".

Steve

Armand Kizirian

Nov 18, 2023, 10:00:37 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have ordered an Ana Purple Platypus Complete in the latest presale. I have many opinions on the color.

First, if you want safe, the Sergio green was there for the taking. Classic, timeless, classy, non-offensive, gender-neutral, and provides a neutral base color to accessorize with. Brown vs black saddle/grips? Both will work equally well. The metallic flake does not hurt either.

Now down to the purple. I have mentioned previously here that I find the purple to be a bit flat and too saturated. These are my observations after viewing an embarrassing (not really, we're all bike nerds here) amount of photographs of Ana Purple rivs. Purple, is an incredibly dynamic color, given it can find many different shades as you add more red or blue to it (adjacent colors on the color wheel). Ana Purple seems to be smack dab a 50/50 blend of blue and red, which, in my opinion, is so-so on the fun/originality scale. Add to that the dark shade of the saturation and it's a bit much! I mean, purple can (and often should) be loud. If it was a lighter shade to the point of lavender, it would not be as gender neutral.  I personally think if some metallic flake (silver or other colors) was added with a hint lighter of a shade it would be much nicer.

So, why did I order an Ana Purple Platypus at 12:01PM with the option of Sergio Green for the taking? Fun factor. Now, I'm a 33 year old male with some rather hyper-masculine features. I have no issue with presenting a bit more feminine (3-5" inseam short shorts please) and challenging gender norms. Coupled with the step through design, I'm sure I will get a lot of, "but isn't that a woman's bike?"...Confusing passerbys or challenging their idea of what type of bike a hyper masculine looking man rides is part of the fun. I'm sure I will come to appreciate it and grow fond of it overtime as I witness the color in different light and scenes. I also wish for this to be a bike that any of my friends, male or female, can ride and have a blast on.

I plan on letting the Purple stand out in the palette. Yes I ordered a complete, but that is simply for my immediate pleasure before I strip it to the frame with my spec of parts. I plan on silver components, many of them Paul, which provide the opportunity to add little purple anodized accents. Think polished brakes/levers, but purple/black barrel adjusters or brake spring holders. Black leather saddle/grips with hints of brass here and there. Make a palette of complementary-ish colors and choose mismatched Nissen cable housing to match. Lots of little details like Forager cable cherries or fun bar tape in-line with the intentionally designed palette.

You get the jist, my designer brain will go to town on this one. Thanks for reading.

Joe Bernard

Nov 18, 2023, 10:01:14 PM11/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
In defense of Sheldon he merely referred to the frames as Lady's Bikes, which was how they were promoted in bike catalogues for many decades. I think he was just using the nomenclature he grew up with and thought readers would know them by. I'm 61 and still have that reference in my head but know we don't use that term anymore as it's rather silly. I imagine many folks half my age have no knowledge of it.

Joe "it doesn't have a gender, it's a toptube placed here or there" Bernard

Richard Rose

Nov 18, 2023, 10:12:50 PM11/18/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Steve, a year ago I really wanted a dark gold Susie. They were all gone so I “settled” on a mermaid Gus. At least that was what I thought until it arrived. Nothing bad boy perhaps but I really like the color in person. Actually it’s a pretty bad ass bike.:) oh by the way the purple bikes are sweet too.
Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 18, 2023, at 6:58 PM, Steve <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bill Lindsay, I was just catching up with this thread (always interested in anything Platypus related!) and I have to interject; That is one pur-tee Legolas. Looks like a shade of periwinkle on my MacBook.

Garth

Nov 19, 2023, 7:39:16 AM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is my own color complimentary color sense but I think that any purple with a bright vibrant gold(bordering towards the yellows) accents would be very awesome. It would remind me of vintage Minnesota Viking colors of which I recall fondly. At least someone could accent their stock purple bike with gold/yellow bar tape or grips, yellow cables, gold/yellow parts if you can get them. Sun makes some gold Rhyno Lite XL rims too !

jeffrey kane

Nov 19, 2023, 9:15:26 AM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Ana purple looks like a direct nod back to the Bridgestone XO's, which, makes it feel just right, to me, anyway...

Leah Peterson

Nov 19, 2023, 11:38:54 AM11/19/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I am seriously thinking of an Ana Purple Platy in the 50 cm size. I love my 55s but they are too big to take on planes and trains. I would have chosen the Sergio Green but I have mermaid already and I like it better. I don’t want two similar colors in my trio.

I was looking at purple Riv images yesterday and saw this one:

image0.jpeg

This leads me to believe the purple has a little more personality that what most of the photos show. And, I do know Ana and she has said her bike shines magenta in sunlight.

If I do this, the parts from my wild Clem will get thrown onto this purple frame. And it will either be my best idea or a spectacular failure.

What I know it will be is this: a real riot of color.
image1.jpeg

Leah

On Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 4:21:41 AM UTC-6 ascpgh wrote:
I'm OK with purple, I had a '93 XO-2 in a dark metallic purple. Grant had a bit in the '91 catalog about colors (a Note About Color) from a time when anything NOT a dayglo color was a negative point against a bike model.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 9:34:41 AM UTC-5 Tim Bantham wrote:
Curious what folks think of the Riv frames in purple. I personally am on the fence. I keep looking at it and can't decide if I would like it or not. I would be perfectly fine with any of the other Riv colors but the purple is a bit polarizing to me. Of course I am betting it looks great in person. Thoughts?

Johnny Alien

Nov 19, 2023, 12:01:37 PM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
You will likely need to swap out the stem but other than that most should cross right over. Hold on to the Clem frame until you are positive that the 50cm will work for you and there is little risk. If it works sell the Clem and if it doesn't sell the Platy frame.

Armand Kizirian

Nov 19, 2023, 5:15:53 PM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
You can view BlueLug's own studio photography of the ana purple platypus frame here for another take: https://global.bluelug.com/rivendell-platypus-frame-set-ana-purple.html

Joe Bernard

Nov 19, 2023, 5:19:54 PM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dang, that really is pretty ain't it? I thought I wasn't into purple..I've changed my mind!

Nov 19, 2023, 10:30:26 PM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Someone may have mentioned this already, but didn't Leah have issues with not being able to get her seat back far enough to get reach and hand position comfy on her current size 55 Platypus? Maybe I'm remembering wrong,  but it seems a size 50 will amplify that same issue?

Leah Peterson

Nov 19, 2023, 10:34:50 PM11/19/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not with a long stem, and albatross bars it won’t. I have Billie bars and a 10 cm stem on my 55 and I wish for a tiny bit more reach. But I can’t have it unless I ditch my extra tall stem and they don’t make it any longer than 10 cm. So I have the saddle pushed back. The smaller Platy will fit on public transportation and is technically in my PBH range. You remembered right!
Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 19, 2023, at 10:30 PM, J <illum...@gmail.com> wrote:

Someone may have mentioned this already, but didn't Leah have issues with not being able to get her seat back far enough to get reach and hand position comfy on her current size 55 Platypus? Maybe I'm remembering wrong,  but it seems a size 50 will amplify that same issue?

Joe Bernard

Nov 19, 2023, 11:26:07 PM11/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes I do believe your plan will work. Billies are nice but reach way back there, I think a 13cm stem and Albas will be the business on your new Platypus. Albatross would probably work without a stem change on your 55 as well.

Johnny Alien

Nov 20, 2023, 8:54:22 AM11/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or....just let me toss this out....wavies.

Sarah Carlson

Nov 20, 2023, 9:00:57 AM11/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tested it the other day with wavies and they did work great for keeping the (don't like the word but...) cockpit feeling spacious. The angle made me feel some discomfort in my wrists, but for someone who that wrist position those are a great call.

Patch T

Nov 21, 2023, 9:51:30 AM11/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is not a Riv, but here's a '92 RB2 in purple that my FIL recently gave me. The paint's probably different from the current run of pruple Rivs, but these photos  prove that purple is a fantastic color choice for a bike, and may just be a faster color than orange... I think it would look cool with some dark-grey anodized and Ti parts.

Patch in Oakland, CA

     IMG_6903.jpeg

Patch T

Nov 21, 2023, 9:52:47 AM11/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
And here it is in the California sunset.

IMG_6899.jpeg

Ryan

Nov 21, 2023, 11:14:40 AM11/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

Very nice!

RichS

Nov 22, 2023, 2:41:11 PM11/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well done Patch. It's a real looker! Nice parts too.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Ryan

Nov 22, 2023, 7:45:35 PM11/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paint has held up really well considering its a 30 year old bike at least

Old Bridgestone get my respect

Bikie#4646

Nov 22, 2023, 9:25:01 PM11/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill Lindsay, would you stop parading that "smoke" purple Legolas in front of me? Trying to make me jealous? (Kidding aside, there could not be a nicer looking bike, IMHO.)

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 2:57:09 PM UTC-5 Bill Lindsay wrote:
My purple Rivendell is pretty different from most other purple Rivendells.  I was going for a "mineral purple" and the name of the shade is Amethyst Smoke.

Bill "smoke 'em if you got 'em" Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Leah Peterson

Nov 26, 2023, 9:59:53 AM11/26/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have been wanting to try a 50 cm Platypus. Not that I would part with my 55 Platys, but I can’t take them traveling, and I have some rides in mind for the coming year that would be made possible if I could get my bike on a train. Well, I am technically in PBH range for a 50 Platy, and my RivSisters tell me they can get theirs on buses and trains in the 50 size.

So, I dispatched RivSister Sarah (of Primrose Platy fame) to HQ to tell me how a 50 would ride, since we are the exact same PBH and nearly the same height. She came back with rave reports about the bike and so I had a decision to make.

I was hesitant about the purple. Purple has not made my top list of favorite colors. I thought I should go Sergio Green, but I have a mermaid Platypus already. If I’m going to have 3 of the same model, I do want them to look and feel a little different from each other. 2 greens - no.

In the end, I selected the purple. It is fun. I am typing this to you on my flight home from NYC, where purple is all the rage, currently. I have a newfound admiration for purple. My parts will be pulled from my shimmery blue Clem, a wild concoction of jewel toned parts, and slapped on that bold purple for a truly one-of-a-kind look. The wilder, the better. And why not. WHY NOT.

Sending this now, before the plane takes off and I lose my internet!
image0.jpeg

On Nov 22, 2023, at 9:25 PM, 'Bikie#4646' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Bill Lindsay, would you stop parading that "smoke" purple Legolas in front of me? Trying to make me jealous? (Kidding aside, there could not be a nicer looking bike, IMHO.)

Ryan

Nov 26, 2023, 11:44:44 AM11/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
So I take it the 50 purple Is on its way....

Leah Peterson

Nov 26, 2023, 11:54:52 AM11/26/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Allegedly - I think the shipment is held up getting seated by the FBI! And of course I won’t be able to ride/enjoy the bike until spring. So, whenever it gets here, I guess.
Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 26, 2023, at 11:44 AM, Ryan <ryte...@mts.net> wrote:

So I take it the 50 purple Is on its way....

Bikie#4646

Nov 26, 2023, 9:44:04 PM11/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I own  two Rivs, but alas none purple. So I will also sneak in a non-Rivendell bike like Patch did. In 1989 when I had Keith Bontrager build this custom filet brazed CX bike for me, I asked for Imron paint, which has stood the test of time.  I had hoped for a little more metallic "red" but over time, the purple has grown on me. And like Patch's RB-2, you need full light to get the best effect.
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

IMG_E3793.jpg